Bye Week Games Thread

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Maybe the rule of “uncatchable ball” in negating PI has been nuanced in the new NFL, but that was the ultimate definition if still in the rules. 

Where is Gene The Excuse Explainer? 

I didn’t watch much of this game but I did see the end and the announcers said, “Even Calvin Johnson couldn’t have caught that one.” Colts definitely got screwed.🤬☹️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, try to get the NFL to interpret its own rules--when they really give no guidance as to what the term "uncatchable" means in regards to PI. But it sure looks as though it is defined:

The official NFL rule book contains only one reference to the term “uncatchable.” Rule 8, Section 5, Article 3(c) identifies as a permissible act "[c]ontact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.”

“A.R. 8.70 NOT PASS INTERFERENCE—PASS UNCATCHABLE
Third-and-4 on 50. Eligible receiver A2 runs to the B40, pushes off B2, and breaks to the sideline. The pass is thrown immediately to A2 but it is uncatchable and incomplete. Ruling: Fourth-and-4 on 50. No penalty for pass interference, as the pass is uncatchable by the involved player.”

But...in perusing various sites, the NFL is saying that contact--regardless of whether the ball is "catchable" or not--is the deciding factor. BUT it isn't in their rule book. No wonder there is such a clown car each weekend with rules enforcement: it's made up as it goes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

He was way short but, would've the Rams went down and scored.  I have a feeling the league doesn't want the Bengals back in the mix with all of the controversial calls going on with the Browns and Stealers.  They need their Squealers fans back.

• Upvote 3

What this shows me is that the Bengals are not going to get help from anyone in our division, so they are going to have to win it on their own, AND win these games with enough of a margin that there is no way that the refs can screw them with a close call at the end of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

What this shows me is that the Bengals are not going to get help from anyone in our division, so they are going to have to win it on their own, AND win these games with enough of a margin that there is no way that the refs can screw them with a close call at the end of the game. 

Agree but close games run rampant every week.

Theyll be involved in many as well.

Looking at their schedule I see no gimmies aside from Houston and that could be tough as well.

It's a long way to the playoffs.

• Upvote 1