The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

Disappointing year. They’ve leaned so far into making sure they were prepped to beat the Bills/Chiefs/Dolphins that they lost track of the easiest way to get into the playoffs and that’s winning the north.

With that being said - I’m going to completely contradict myself and make a case for another pass catcher. 

-Tee is playing on the tag this year. There isn’t going to be a team that is willing to give up the compensation they’d want after the year he had and he’s not going to get the guaranteed money that seemed to be the hold up this offseason after an injury marred season. He’s dealt with injuries every year he’s been here. I can see why they’re hesitant to go that route with him.

-Tyler is gone. He’ll go somewhere and get a nice contract like Adam Thielen. Let’s just hope it’s not in the AFCN

-Jamarr hold in is a real possibility.

-The young guys just didn’t show enough. Jones had a huge mistake in the Vikings game and seems to get tackled by a stiff breeze. Iosivas had a long catch of 16 this year. You hope they can develop but for a team that puts 4 to 5 guys out in routes more than anyone in the NFL you probably want a little more than hope.

-Hudson was nice and I hope he’s back but his snap count was strictly tied to throwing the ball. You want a little more balance from that spot into not tipping what’s coming. I would expect a free agent signing here and a little more aggressive than they were last year. I don’t think Bowers will be there but I’m not sure the Bengals value tight end enough to select him over a tackle/corner/wr anyways.

-Receiver market is bare if they do decide to somehow get enough compensation for Tee.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be a day 1 guy - but I’d expect one selected in the top 100 picks with an eye on really trying to go at it with their quarterback and two outside guys and some more juice in the slot offensively. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd be over the moon if our first 3 rounds went this way.

image.png

Of the opinion that half of every draft should be spent on OL/DL. At this point they could reasonably draft 5 OL & 2 TEs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Newton and Sweat..wow.

Thomas is good but are we going WR in rd 2???

Maybe a CB instead..

Good overall though.

No way in hell they’re coming out of this draft without a WR. It’ll definitely happen with one of their first two picks, IMO. 

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Cade Stover announced he is returning to tOSU

So did Sawyer.

I’m hearing JT is next…just trying to work out NIL. 

I would’ve liked to have had Sawyer on this team. 

53 minutes ago, spicoli said:

No way in hell they’re coming out of this draft without a WR. It’ll definitely happen with one of their first two picks, IMO. 

I think that depends on what happens with Tee. And when we have reached for a position of need, it has reduced our success rate. I assume though that Boyd will be gone, and so a slot receiver in the mid rounds makes sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, spicoli said:

If we tag or re-sign Tee and bring back Irwin while losing Boyd, then WR isn't a high priority for this draft. We don't need to take one at all and certainly not in the top 2 picks. If a WR is great value, then sure, grab them but it won't be a need. If we go without a WR, it gives Jones and Iosivas another year to show what they can do and whether the team can count on them or not. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we tag or re-sign Tee and bring back Irwin while losing Boyd, then WR isn't a high priority for this draft. We don't need to take one at all and certainly not in the top 2 picks. If a WR is great value, then sure, grab them but it won't be a need. If we go without a WR, it gives Jones and Iosivas another year to show what they can do and whether the team can count on them or not. 

Good points..

I'm big on Iosivas .

Jones as a PR yes.. 

Feel he's going to be injury prone 

There Allways on the look for WRs 

and there's a lot off good ones in the draft.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Good points and I hear ya…I just don’t think Tee is coming back is all. They might tag him but I don’t believe he’ll be on the team by the time training camp rolls around. Just my 2 cents 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

I think they are very likely to tag Tee. They may well not get an extension done but they won't trade him as the return for him will be less than he would have fetched a year ago. So I think it's at least a Bates scenario though I hope they get a deal done with him. But either way he'll be out there for the Bengals in the fall of 2024.

• Upvote 1

- I would place the chances of a Tee tag at 100%.

- I would place the chances of a Tee extension at 20%. 

- I would place the chances of a Tee trade once tagged at 33%.

... So most likely he just plays next season out, ala Bates. 

On 1/5/2024 at 2:52 PM, T-Dub said:

Of the opinion that half of every draft should be spent on OL/DL. At this point they could reasonably draft 5 OL & 2 TEs. 

In the 2021 draft 7 of the 10 picks were OL/DL. Not one of them has developed into a starter. Did that extreme line-centric draft help the play trenches very much?

In the 2022/2023 drafts all 6 picks were defensive players. Did prioritizing the defensive side help the defense very much? That side of the ball has slipped a lot despite the draft focus.

I really don't care what positions the Bengals draft as long as they hit on some impact players. Otherwise, we might have to get used to finishing last in the AFC North.

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Weird stat - the Patriots have not re-signed a single draft pick from rounds 1-3 since 2013. Talk about shit drafting! 

Sounds like a 4-13 team to me ✔️  Interesting how they can fall right off a cliff and we all kinda just agreed to not talk about them anymore.

Removing Brady was like pulling the drain plug

• Upvote 3