WEEK 12: vs SQUEELERS (GameDey thread)

45 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I understand coach-speak and don't expect him to throw anyone under the bus, but how about a classic "everyone needs to step it up, starting with me"?

Once again a lack of accountability.

That’s just another aspect of the genius that is Zac Taylor. Can’t believe people are criticizing this awesome HC who single handily took us to the SB and back to back AFC Championship games. Literally carried the team on his back. How can you criticize?????

• Upvote 1

Just now, IKOTA said:

That’s just another aspect of the genius that is Zac Taylor. Can’t believe people are criticizing this awesome HC who single handily took us to the SB and back to back AFC Championship games. Literally carried the team on his back. How can you criticize?????

It's easy to.

That 4-20 without JB is the clincher.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Joe Burrow is lucky ZT is his HC, otherwise he’d be another guy trying to make it in this league. 

Right..

Zach doesn't need JB to keep a HC job.

He's a brilliant playcaller (in his head,).

Hell ,I'm on board to replace his ineptness with Frank Reich right now!

Taylor will never be anything more than a QB coach if he's herded out of Cincinnati.

32 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Right..

Taylor will never be anything more than a QB coach if he's herded out of Cincinnati.

Any of the 31 other teams would instantly fire their HC if Zac was available and hire him instead. He’s not just a brilliant play caller, he’s a genius offensive schemer and play designer. Maybe the best in the history of the NFL, even the history they didn’t keep.  

3 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Any of the 31 other teams would instantly fire their HC if Zac was available and hire him instead. He’s not just a brilliant play caller, he’s a genius offensive schemer and play designer. Maybe the best in the history of the NFL, even the history they didn’t keep.  

Tks for the comment Zach..😎

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Right..

I'm finding myself on Team Ikea now.

How much does Joe change at the line that Zac sent in originally?

And how many times have we seen him improvising on the fly no matter who called the play?

We saw what happened when Jake Brownthing tried that Sunday.

And Joe does it with virtually no running game.

So I am a Zac fan.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Browning had problems identifying a wr to throw to and held on to the ball too long. Expected for a gut making his 1st NFL start

When the plays were called as quick hitters and slants, he was on target. When they were called to go 15-20 yard sideline patterns, they weren't. So why weren't more of the ones that could go called? 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I'm finding myself on Team Ikea now.

How much does Joe change at the line that Zac sent in originally?

And how many times have we seen him improvising on the fly no matter who called the play?

We saw what happened when Jake Brownthing tried that Sunday.

And Joe does it with virtually no running game.

So I am a Zac fan.

Allright then.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

When the plays were called as quick hitters and slants, he was on target. When they were called to go 15-20 yard sideline patterns, they weren't. So why weren't more of the ones that could go called? 

Because you have to change it up at some point? 

Lol it was his FIRST start, first extended action in a NFL uniform…can we not expect adjustments going forward?

Some of you all are too funny. 

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

No arguments there. 

I mean I have no idea what happens going forward but I’m willing to bet his second start doesn’t look much like his first. 

This is the first real film he gets to learn from after all, right? 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I mean I have no idea what happens going forward but I’m willing to bet his second start doesn’t look much like his first. 

This is the first real film he gets to learn from after all, right? 

I would say so. I had a listing of all the QB’s he beat stat-wise this past Sunday. He was no where near as bad as he’s been painted to be  

19 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He was no where near as bad as he’s been painted to be

Nowhere near as good as his stats painted him to be either though…unfortunately. 

Long way to go, but I see no reason at all he can’t improve as he goes along. 

No clue what that equates to as far as w/l’s. 

• Upvote 2

he was lost a few times. but the oL did very little to help him relax.  the time of possession and amount of plays are the killing stat.  the defense played 15 minutes more then the offense, you can not have that.    the run game didnt work because they keyed on short passes and run game, if you dont throw it over the top to back them up they play short and stop you.. which they did, 

• Upvote 1

He played like it was his first nfl start. Completely understandable he was hesitant. More comfortable he gets, which can only come from experience, he’ll look much better. He has a Case Keenum type ceiling IMO and that’s more than serviceable for a backup. He just needs experience. This coming game I would imagine he looks significantly better. 

• Upvote 1

What I noticed about Browning was he seemed to pick which WR he was throwing to before the play began and not look anywhere else. This works on a High School superteam with superior athletes, but not in the NFL.

He has good mobility but also looked cautious of using it. They need to incorporate some designed runs for him since the regular running game doesn't work. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Of his 19 completions: 4 went to Uno, 4 went to Hudson, 3 to Boyd, 2 to Mixon, and the rest to 5 different receivers. What little time he had for wonderful “check-downs”…he seemed to distribute fairly well. 

The distribution was there but at least a few times the primary target was that (little used) receiver - but as you say he checked down a couple/few times but that's not a progression read, that's a safety valve..  Granted he did go through progressions at least a couple of times, but his lack of ability in this was (very unfortunately) most obvious on the game-deciding INT where it was a telegraph from start to finish.  Thankfully the broadcast showed a wide-angle replay and we saw that Pittsburgh played that throw all the way, which resulted in Sample being embarrassingly open on the other side - and, if progressed to would have resulted in a walk-in TD.

• Like 1

I thought he was OK... but then I saw some All 22 and it didn't look so good. Missed a read to a wide open Yoshi, likely for a TD... had some others where he just held on to the ball way too long, or missed some downfield throws and took safe/short passes instead. I get that it's his first start, and every QB misses reads on occasion. Hopefully he learns from it and gets better. He needs to, but he's not the only one. 

Even though the D hasn't played well at all, I'm really encouraged by what I've seen so far from the young DBs and Murphy seems to be coming on, too. Less encouraged by Zach Carter and Ossai, I loved as a player at Texas and he was really good at the end of last year. He didn't play one snap last week... not one. He dressed, so I assume he's healthy. Just an enigma, but obviously Lou doesn't trust him. Ugh. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

The distribution was there but at least a few times the primary target was that (little used) receiver - but as you say he checked down a couple/few times but that's not a progression read, that's a safety valve..  Granted he did go through progressions at least a couple of times, but his lack of ability in this was (very unfortunately) most obvious on the game-deciding INT where it was a telegraph from start to finish.  Thankfully the broadcast showed a wide-angle replay and we saw that Pittsburgh played that throw all the way, which resulted in Sample being embarrassingly open on the other side - and, if progressed to would have resulted in a walk-in TD.

I get it. Not trying to make him out to be Mahomes, just that he is getting generally pissed on by the armchair QB’s. 

As I recall, even St Joseph had been criticized for “locking in” on one receiver back in the day. 

That “game-deciding INT” was the one in the mid- 3rd Quarter, no?