91% Chance to Make Playoffs

Bengals fan’s Week 17 rooting guide

New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns on Thursday at 8:20pm (Prime Video)

Root for: Stick with me here... the Browns.

Reason: A win on Thursday clinches a postseason berth for Cleveland. If the Baltimore Ravensbeat the Miami Dolphins this weekend, Baltimore will secure the top seed in the AFC. If that happens, Cleveland would be out of the running for the No. 1 seed, so they would likely sit their starters against the Bengals in Week 18. Since the Bengals have to win both games, a date with Cleveland’s backups could go a long way.  *** Mission accomplished… Browns will be resting players against us to avoid injury and not be as motivated, less to play for than the Bengals. hsh

Las Vegas Raiders @ Indianapolis Colts on Sunday at 1:00pm (CBS)

Root for: The Raiders

Reason: As of now, Indianapolis holds the seventh and final AFC playoff spot. While their record is identical to the Bengals’ 8-7 mark, with Cincinnati holding the tiebreaker, Indianapolis has a better conference record and division record, so they would get the nod. The Raiders are hot, coming off a win against the Kansas City Chiefs. The could help clear the Colts out of the way.

Carolina Panthers @ Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday at 1:00pm (CBS)

Root for: The Panthers

Reason: Part of the Bengals’ path to the playoffs includes needing one loss from either Jacksonville or Houston in the last two weeks of the regular season. The Panthers aren’t a very good football team, but with Trevor Lawrence once again banged up, there’s always a chance the Panthers could pull off the upset and help the Bengals in the process.

Tennessee Titans @ Houston Texans on Sunday at 1:00pm (Fox)

Root for: The Titans

Reason: Similar to the above reasoning, a loss from Houston would be one of the two possibilities that could help the Bengals. With no Tank Dell for Houston, the offense hasn’t looked quite the same. If the Titans, who are playing for pride at this point, can get a division win, that is on more item the Bengals can check off the wish list.  *** I disagree.  If the Texans win and Jaguars lose, as they very well might, I think this puts the Texans in the playoffs as the division champs.  If division champs they would not be in the wild card race.  If they were, they would have the edge on us as a wild card team because they beat us in the regular season and if a wild card contender have it over us by head-to-head competition.  However, we beat the Jaguars in the regular season giving us the edge over them.  My thinking is to eliminate the Texans from wild card consideration. hsh

Pittsburgh Stealers @ Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at 4:05pm (Fox)

Root for: The Seahawks

Reason: Other than the natural fiber of your DNA that makes you root against Pittsburgh, the Stealers losing at least one more game is needed to get the Bengals in to the tournament. After trouncing Cincinnati at home, Pittsburgh goes to the West Coast in a hostile environment, facing a team with its own playoff aspirations. We are all honorary members of the 12th Man this weekend.

Of course, all of this only matters if the Bengals are able to go into Arrowhead and beat the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Root for: The Titans

Reason: Similar to the above reasoning, a loss from Houston would be one of the two possibilities that could help the Bengals. With no Tank Dell for Houston, the offense hasn’t looked quite the same. If the Titans, who are playing for pride at this point, can get a division win, that is on more item the Bengals can check off the wish list.  *** I disagree.  If the Texans win and Jaguars lose, as they very well might, I think this puts the Texans in the playoffs as the division champs.  If division champs they would not be in the wild card race.  If they were, they would have the edge on us as a wild card team because they beat us in the regular season and if a wild card contender have it over us by head-to-head competition.  However, we beat the Jaguars in the regular season giving us the edge over them.  My thinking is to eliminate the Texans from wild card consideration. hsh

The Jags could still lose out on the division even if they win this Sunday. They play the Oiltans the last weekend in Nashville--provided of course that the Toxins win both games.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The Jags could still lose out on the division even if they win this Sunday. They play the Oiltans the last weekend in Nashville--provided of course that the Toxins win both games.  

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Lawerence hasn't practiced 

Agree and am very OK with that.

But my thinking (plagiarized from Smooth D, I believe) is

we want the Texans to have the devision title to get them out

of the wild card race.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Agree and am very OK with that.

But my thinking (plagiarized from Smooth D, I believe) is

we want the Texans to have the devision title to get them out

of the wild card race.

Yes we do. We also want Miami to win their division.

And at the risk of being called a "bandwagon" fan, if we can not get a wildcard spot we should be rooting for a higher pick. We will know more after Sunday.

30 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yes we do. We also want Miami to win their division.

And at the risk of being called a "bandwagon" fan, if we can not get a wildcard spot we should be rooting for a higher pick. We will know more after Sunday.

Exactly and I had not thought about Miami and you are right.

If we lose Sunday, how about McCarron vs the Browns.

Wouldn't hurt and would like to see what he's got.

On 12/26/2023 at 4:01 PM, High School Harry said:

I do, too.

I think Kansas City has imploded

and too much Taylor Swift kayfabe.

Too many distractions.

Please don't be one of those fans that blame Kansas City's problems on a pop singer. They can't even line up correctly on offense anymore. The WRs drop too many passes, Mahomes is forcing too many throws, the OL isn't opening up any rushing lanes this year. Jawaan Taylor has been a major bust. They have real on-the-field problems. "Yoko Ono" is just a weak pathetic excuse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dex said:

Please don't be one of those fans that blame Kansas City's problems on a pop singer. They can't even line up correctly on offense anymore. The WRs drop too many passes, Mahomes is forcing too many throws, the OL isn't opening up any rushing lanes this year. Jawaan Taylor has been a major bust. They have real on-the-field problems. "Yoko Ono" is just a weak pathetic excuse.

Not to mention that Kelsey is starting to show his age.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dex said:

But it’s a fun excuse!!  Yoko Swift!!   Kansas City has the same issue every mini dynasty has, their players on the lines and backend just get old.  Old lineman get dinged up and the subs just ain’t good enough.  

Add in the horrible luck at the skill positions (SF2 manages a fake tear) and they become vulnerable.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

But it’s a fun excuse!!  Yoko Swift!!   Kansas City has the same issue every mini dynasty has, their players on the lines and backend just get old.  Old lineman get dinged up and the subs just ain’t good enough.  

Add in the horrible luck at the skill positions (SF2 manages a fake tear) and they become vulnerable.  

Been noticing that Jagger has been showing up at Paris St. Germain matches off and on for a while. Sure enough, each time he is there, there is a continuous showing of him in the stands. 

And PSG still wins! 

(then again, Ligue 1 is empty of quality other than PSG, so there is that). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dex said:

No, no, no.  Not at all.

Her distraction is just another rain cloud in the perfect storm

of their demise.  She certainly isn't helping and the entire fiasco

is pretty silly.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

"Especially their tackles"

Somehow that rings a bell here in Cincinnati..😎

It's the hardest position to find on the Oline, you usually have to draft one in the top 10 minimum, the Andrew Whitworths (where you find guys later) are rare. (This is exactly why I prefer to lose out and get as high in the draft as we can.) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It's the hardest position to find on the Oline, you usually have to draft one in the top 10 minimum, the Andrew Whitworths (where you find guys later) are rare. (This is exactly why I prefer to lose out and get as high in the draft as we can.) 

Understood but who knows how far they go go in playoffs once in?

I believe they'll make it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mikeslumina said:

Kelsey getting his post retirement. He marries here she worth billion dollars. He would also get her loyal fans buying his product and endorsements

hopefully they all write songs perform at half time with romo. We win game they write some nds about how bad we are after we get the w. 

You know there's going to be a pre nup in there if it were to happen.

Doubt it will...