Report: Expectations are Bengals use franchise tag on Tee Higgins

^ The big deal is going to be Ja'Marr, I would give him a 5 year 165 mill deal (33 per) ...

Then you have Tee and Ja'Marr both locked up for the same yearly 55 as Burrow and the trio coming in altogether at 110 collectively, which is doable with a rising cap. 💰

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

^ The big deal is going to be Ja'Marr, I would give him a 5 year 165 mill deal (33 per) ...

Then you have Tee and Ja'Marr both locked up for the same yearly 55 as Burrow and the trio coming in altogether at 110 collectively, which is doable with a rising cap. 💰

I want Higgins here but paying

JB Chase and him that  massive amount  of money isn't going to happen.

They should tag and trade him and put his money into other positions of need.

JB doesn't need 2 WR1s  to succeed.

Just too damn much money invested imo.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I want Higgins here but paying

JB Chase and him that  massive amount  of money isn't going to happen.

They should tag and trade him and put his money into other positions of need.

JB doesn't need 2 WR1s  to succeed.

Just too damn much money invested imo.

Having 2 WR1s for Joe to throw to is the Bengals competitive advantage. It makes things easier on the other targets and means we'll have a WR1 with single coverage.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Having 2 WR1s for Joe to throw to is the Bengals competitive advantage. It makes things easier on the other targets and means we'll have a WR1 with single coverage.

Mahomes relied on Hill and Kelce and they won.

Mahomes had just Kelce as a top Receiver this past  year and they won.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Mahomes had just Kelce as a top Receiver this past  year and they won.

Thanks to Spags and that defense + playing Mr. Irrelevant + choke artist Shanahan.  Their passing offense was pretty pedestrian all offseason and probably would have been better had everyone not named Kelce been dropping the ball left and right.

Two things aren't always the same.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

... He also had a Hall of Fame DT in Chris Jones.

The expensive Blue Chips have to come from somewhere. There's many ways to win it all, and all of them are based on creating an advantage. The Bengals passing game could be that. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Thanks to Spags and that defense + playing Mr. Irrelevant + choke artist Shanahan.  Their passing offense was pretty pedestrian all offseason and probably would have been better had everyone not named Kelce been dropping the ball left and right.

Two things aren't always the same.

Point taken 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

... He also had a Hall of Fame DT in Chris Jones.

The expensive Blue Chips have to come from somewhere. There's many ways to win it all, and all of them are based on creating an advantage. The Bengals passing game could be that. 

Looks that way with Tee on board now.

Charlie Sizzle may get his chance at slot.

Gotta keep someone else there though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JC said:

Tag and trade would make me much less optimistic on next seasons chances.

Yeah...not having both Tee and Boyd next year is quite a big change for the offense as well as a new OC. No offense to Charlie, Irwin, and Iosivas but those are big shoes to fill. Gotta hit in the draft

• Upvote 1

I guess I am still scratching my head over all of this “no money” line of bollocks. I can add/subtract as well as the next person. Every last player set to leave could get amazing contracts, Uno get his zillions, and there is still a significant amount left over. 

Is there some Pythagorean formula missing—other than what the blathering media spouts? 

57 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I guess I am still scratching my head over all of this “no money” line of bollocks. I can add/subtract as well as the next person. Every last player set to leave could get amazing contracts, Uno get his zillions, and there is still a significant amount left over. 

Is there some Pythagorean formula missing—other than what the blathering media spouts? 

I really dont know what you don't get here. If you spend the money on Tee Jamar and Joe, it means you don't have as much money to spend on other positions This was literally your Dutch Boy complaint. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I really dont know what you don't get here. If you spend the money on Tee Jamar and Joe, it means you don't have as much money to spend on other positions This was literally your Dutch Boy complaint. 

No it isn’t. I am asking a plus/minus question. I have done it and it doesn’t add up. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Just now, Le Tigre said:

No it isn’t. I am asking a plus/minus question. I have done it and it doesn’t add up. 

Is that what the Saints did for years?

Sign them then keep extending their contracts until their 75 mil in the Red?

Just asking.

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Ok explain it to me like I am 5, because I literally dont get this. The pie is only so big, even if the cap is expanding that just means players are asking for more, it's inflationary. 

If we sign Tee and Jamar long term where does that minus come from? I get Tyler this yeara and Mixon next year, and that Reader is not currently on the books, But Burrow's contract hits next year, they are going to make Jamar the highest paid WR. We have the money for this this year because Jamar is not paid yet and Joe's contract hasn't hit yet, but if we still need to sign a RT and a DT and some TEs, what are the minuses that come off the books to keep Tee and Jamar here long term? Give me names. Sam Hubbard? Trey Hendrickson? Ok but we are still going to have to pay Tayor Britt and CBs arent cheap either. This is exactly my point here, if we pay Tee long term the "slice of the pie" for other guys long term becomes smaller, which literally means we are going to have to get a lot better at drafting when we are drafting in the teens to twenties, or thirties.

• Upvote 1

Tee and Jamarr contracts are very possible. There will be very little overlap. Tee is at most getting a four year extension and Jamarr has 4th year and 5th year option to play on before his extension will even kick in. The Burrow contract guarantees are very front loaded giving them the ability to convert salary to signing bonus down the line as well.

It’s literally about the guaranteed money and the Bengals unwillingness to guarantee outside of year 1. Something they’ve only done for Joe Burrow. Do they have the liquid cash to put that into escrow? Once they open that door for non-quarterback, there is no going back.

• Upvote 3

I dont need a calculator. The Bengals would have two years of big cap allocation for these guys with a multitude of vet contracts expiring. I mean if you name a vet outside of OBJ, their contract is probably up within the next two years and the Jamarr extension won’t kick in for three years.

It’s not about paying two receivers whether people agree with that or not. The Bengals want to pay them both. They don’t want to guarantee out years. Same as it was with Jessie. They made an aggressive offer but the guarantees weren’t good enough.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, JC said:

I dont need a calculator. The Bengals would have two years of big cap allocation for these guys with a multitude of vet contracts expiring. I mean if you name a vet outside of OBJ, their contract is probably up within the next two years and the Jamarr extension won’t kick in for three years.

It’s not about paying two receivers whether people agree with that or not. The Bengals want to pay them both. They don’t want to guarantee out years. Same as it was with Jessie. They made an aggressive offer but the guarantees weren’t good enough.

You are making my point for me. 

If we do not want to start rookies, that means we either have to spend money FAs outside of the organization or draft really well so that guys are starting after their rookie year. You specifically have said we do not draft well (for Oline I agree other positions not as much) that means we would have to find guys in FA, who are going to cost more than guys on their rookie deals. 

Tyler, Reader, Cheedo, Williams and a bunch of cheap TEs leaving. Who do you replace them with? 

Hubbard and Hendrickson coming off soon. I'd assume/hope that Murphy steps into one of those spots, I'm hoping that Ossai can bounce back to take the other spot, but he hasn't earned it yet.

Joes money hits next year, Jamar is going to get paid, Taylor Britt needs to be extended. If we do Tee long term and we use the money on him that we are getting back from the guys I listed then that means you're going to have to find replacements for the other guys and those replacements, having less money to spend because we spent it on Joe, Jamar, and Tee, means that the quality of FAs you are going to be able to get is going to be less because the FA asks are going to go up across the board. If DJ Reader was still the same age today as when we signed him, he would be asking for more money today then he did then. That's the inflation that is happening across the league. 

This means if we do not want to start rookies, we have to take bridge type FAs and get better at drafting. Letting Tee walk or trading him means we can use that money on a guy that might not be a bridge type FA.

The Bengals and Jessie were not close because of contract guarantees, Jessie literally said he was leaving 20mil on the table if he stayed here, he just became one of the highest paid safties in league history, the Bengals were not close to doing that, he may have wanted more in guarantees but the overall money was not close, that's why they didn't extent him.

• Upvote 1