Report: Expectations are Bengals use franchise tag on Tee Higgins

By Josh Alper

Published February 13, 2024 11:11 AM

Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins could become a free agent when the new league year starts in March, but the team has two ways to keep that from happening.

They could sign him to a long-term deal or they could use a franchise tag to keep him from hitting the open market and extending the time to negotiate a new deal until mid-July.

If no deal came before that point, Higgins would have the choice of sitting out or playing the 2024 season with a guaranteed salary that is projected to be $20.7 million.

Paul Dehner of TheAthletic.com reports that the team is expected to use the latter option and apply the franchise tag to Higgins.

He notes that the team has the cap space to carry that salary in the 2024 season and that Joe Burrow’s cap number remains relatively low in 2024 before jumping up by nearly $20 million in 2025.

The overall makeup of the wide receiver market might also make it a plus for Higgins to wait on signing a multi-year deal. With receivers like Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, Michael Pittman Jr., and fellow Bengal Ja’Marr Chase closing in on new deals, Higgins could benefit from a reset market by moving for a longer deal at some point in the future.

Any tags must be issued by March 5, so there will be clarity on the Bengals’ plans in the near future.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/cincinnati-bengals

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

The overall makeup of the wide receiver market might also make it a plus for Higgins to wait on signing a multi-year deal. With receivers like Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, Michael Pittman Jr., and fellow Bengal Ja’Marr Chase closing in on new deals, Higgins could benefit from a reset market by moving for a longer deal at some point in the future.

They're using this as an argument for Tee to wait. We know he could go to most teams and be a #1 receiver, but is he better or equal to any of these guys? 

Also, I would think all of these guys hitting the market next year (if they all hit the market, which I don't see happening), would lead for a crowded WR market and diminish his value, not enhance it. I know this year, there's a deep crop of WRs coming out. I don't know what the projections for 2025 look like. 

• Upvote 1

I still do not know why he is always referred to as a WR2? 

This splits could be argued as to total targets, yada yada….but he is so clutch—and thrown to virtually as much as Uno…why is it so much of a stretch to have 2 WR1’s on the field at the same time. And whatever as to the cost…production/scoring points/WINNING is the goal. 

image.jpeg.d3b1d93a917767e07ff6ba77e9a7393d.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I still do not know why he is always referred to as a WR2? 

This splits could be argued as to total targets, yada yada….but he is so clutch—and thrown to virtually as much as Uno…why is it so much of a stretch to have 2 WR1’s on the field at the same time. And whatever as to the cost…production/scoring points/WINNING is the goal. 

image.jpeg.d3b1d93a917767e07ff6ba77e9a7393d.jpeg

I don't think they can challenge the Chiefs without Chase-Higgins duo.

To many questions with our others .

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Shebengal said:

They're using this as an argument for Tee to wait. We know he could go to most teams and be a #1 receiver, but is he better or equal to any of these guys? 

Also, I would think all of these guys hitting the market next year (if they all hit the market, which I don't see happening), would lead for a crowded WR market and diminish his value, not enhance it. I know this year, there's a deep crop of WRs coming out. I don't know what the projections for 2025 look like. 

Tee isn't better than any of those guys. They've all been pro-bowlers or All-Pros as well. Tee would be WR1 on several teams so it's a competitive advantage for the Bengals to have in effect 2 WR1s but nobody thinks Tee is better than Ja'Marr. 

• Upvote 1

I love Tee and would love for him to stay, but one thing that always comes to my mind is, you pay a top-level QB because he should be able to elevate lesser WRs around him — this “should” allow you to spend money in other areas. My mind says we can’t keep Tee after next year, but my heart wants Tee, Uno and JB to stay together forever.

• Upvote 1