Report: Expectations are Bengals use franchise tag on Tee Higgins

19 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

They might get him for their 2nd rounder and possibly a 4th.

I doubt they'd give their 1st round at 

#7 though.

Has to be a first AND another (3rd Rd or higher) pick involved otherwise take a hike. A proven NFL player the caliber of Higgins requires that sort of compensation 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Has to be a first AND another (3rd Rd or higher) pick involved otherwise take a hike. A proven NFL player the caliber of Higgins requires that sort of compensation 

Point taken.

It may not be Tennessee then.

Maybe  midrange first and another draft pick.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, claptonrocks said:

Point taken.

It may not be Tennessee then.

Maybe  midrange first and another draft pick.

Probably will not be Tennessee as they have pick 7, and could get MHJr potentially. 

No matter how good Higgins is, it’s simply not wise to pay 2 WRs 22+ Mil / season. Especially when the QB is going to make what he’s making. You’re asking a lot from unknowns at that point. People think KC got away with it this year but the truth is a bit more nuanced for those whose brain still works. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, IKOTA said:

Probably will not be Tennessee as they have pick 7, and could get MHJr potentially. 

No matter how good Higgins is, it’s simply not wise to pay 2 WRs 22+ Mil / season. Especially when the QB is going to make what he’s making. You’re asking a lot from unknowns at that point. People think KC got away with it this year but the truth is a bit more nuanced for those whose brain still works. 

But it is OK to spend that much on 1 WR and 1 TE? Or two OT’s ? Or 2 CBs? Or maybe with the cap going to $300M in 2 years $22M is a great value? It is not as simple as saying “it makes no sense” because it depends on who else is coming up for a big contract in the next year or two after the 2 WR’s and how else you fill out the roster , etc etc. 

Duke says it clearly, there is a pie and every team has it BUT every team tries to keep its own best young players and if they are concentrated at one position, so be it. Tee and Boyd’s value can be absorbed into the new Tee deal so then if the slot is a young cheap guy the net is the same. Again, it is just about dividing the pie but keeping your best guys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Heard Adam Shefter on the radio.

Was asked about Higgins and said

He thinks Tee and his agent are disgruntled about the tag.

My gut feeling is they'll shop him and if they get what they want they'll move on from him.

If not he stays and plays this season as a Bengal.

• Upvote 1

It’s going to play out the same way the Jessie situation did. They tag him/work towards a deal but never come close on gtd. money/he reports late in camp/they make a run at the Super Bowl (and hopefully win)/both sides go their own way and we hope he ends up in the NFC somewhere instead of the Chiefs/Bills.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JC said:

It’s going to play out the same way the Jessie situation did. They tag him/work towards a deal but never come close on gtd. money/he reports late in camp/they make a run at the Super Bowl (and hopefully win)/both sides go their own way and we hope he ends up in the NFC somewhere instead of the Chiefs/Bills.

If they're offered a good package 

they'll move him imo.

Nobody is going to offer a top 10 pick for Tee. Nor any first rounder plus another pick. I could see an early second rounder from NE or another team with lots of cap space. If Callahan wants Tee badly enough, they might give up their second. Ironically, it's the second we'd already own if we'd taken their trade offer last year when they wanted into the first round for Levis. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Nobody is going to offer a top 10 pick for Tee. Nor any first rounder plus another pick. I could see an early second rounder from NE or another team with lots of cap space. If Callahan wants Tee badly enough, they might give up their second. Ironically, it's the second we'd already own if we'd taken their trade offer last year when they wanted into the first round for Levis. 

Carolina has asked about him last season. They have the 1st pick in the 2nd round. 

7 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

But it is OK to spend that much on 1 WR and 1 TE? Or two OT’s ? Or 2 CBs? Or maybe with the cap going to $300M in 2 years $22M is a great value? It is not as simple as saying “it makes no sense” because it depends on who else is coming up for a big contract in the next year or two after the 2 WR’s and how else you fill out the roster , etc etc. 

Duke says it clearly, there is a pie and every team has it BUT every team tries to keep its own best young players and if they are concentrated at one position, so be it. Tee and Boyd’s value can be absorbed into the new Tee deal so then if the slot is a young cheap guy the net is the same. Again, it is just about dividing the pie but keeping your best guys. 

Simplicity. And logical. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Mike Evans just got 2 years 26 per. So lets say that's Tees deal. 4 years 26.5 per.....but we got him for 1 year at 21.5. So lets say we offer 4 years 100M. 

Is that too much? Is that worth it?

I think in a vacuum you could justify paying Tee top WR1 money, but we're not in a vacuum, we already have a WR1.  As many of us have been thinking/saying it's just too much of a luxury to bury your cap on 3 guys on one side of the ball, two of which are not OL or QB (Joe, Chase, Tee).  I don't really buy the "the cap will go up anyway" arguments, that's never a guarantee.  Several NHL teams burned their own ass assuming that the cap was going to go up X amount, and it never did.

Is that even the real deal breaker anyway?  I thought people were saying that his agent is notorious for insisting on multi-year guarantees (or something) that the Bengals just don't/won't ever go for?

• Upvote 1

I think you need to try and keep as many of your homegrown proven players through their second contracts as you can. Considering the way they’ve drafted, they won’t be giving many second contracts to anyone after Tee. Ja’Marr is the only one that comes to mind and the big cap hits for him won’t kick in until after his fifth year. I think the fifth year is in the $21M due to his pro bowl nominations so there is some overlap.

I don’t think it’s about whether or not they want to pay him though. It’s about how much they are willing to guarantee. Stealers didn’t guarantee any out year money to anyone until Watt. The Bengals had never done it outside of Burrow. The Vikings reportedly don’t want to do it for a non-QB. A lot of these owners don’t want to tie that additional money up in escrow. Imagine this is going to be a big issue next year in the Ja’Marr extension talks.

Guaranteed aside - they should try like hell. I believe Goodberry said teams that have a 15 yard play during their drive score over 50% of the time. I can’t imagine letting a guy that can produce those plays get to the open market if you can help it. Especially when there’s only one other guy on offense right now that can do it.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I think in a vacuum you could justify paying Tee top WR1 money, but we're not in a vacuum, we already have a WR1.  As many of us have been thinking/saying it's just too much of a luxury to bury your cap on 3 guys on one side of the ball, two of which are not OL or QB (Joe, Chase, Tee).  I don't really buy the "the cap will go up anyway" arguments, that's never a guarantee.  Several NHL teams burned their own ass assuming that the cap was going to go up X amount, and it never did.

Is that even the real deal breaker anyway?  I thought people were saying that his agent is notorious for insisting on multi-year guarantees (or something) that the Bengals just don't/won't ever go for?

You're assuming that by not spending the money on Higgins they will reinvest it on other players.  Also the cap just went up, more than enough to cover his franchise tag. This means they are still top 5 in cap space.

Do you think they're going to approach free agency like a team with $50-60m to spend, or do you think we're due another press release about how they did the math and actually need to borrow ohhhh about $3.50?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Mike Evans just got 2 years 26 per. So lets say that's Tees deal. 4 years 26.5 per.....but we got him for 1 year at 21.5. So lets say we offer 4 years 100M. 

Is that too much? Is that worth it?

Evans is a future HOFer.

His receiving  totals are still very good.

He's older and 2 for 26 is due on n art to his productivity and an all time Buc favorite.

Tee is much younger and his best yrs are ahead.

If elite WRs are getting 23 to 30;mil why not he?

That figure is pretty close to what his agent will demand 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

Deal breaker with Tee..his agent

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

In today's world?..hahahaha...

Of course it’s the difference between luxury tax assessments and salary caps, but the Phillies just gave 33-year old pitcher Zach Wheeler a 3-year $126 million extension. Their window is short—they are attacking the hourglass by keeping their best players as opposed to spending the same amount or more on (hopefully) equal or almost equal value. Zach is proven, durable, and the 1 or 1A starter. They have 2 #1’s for all intents and purposes. 

it can be done. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

You're assuming that by not spending the money on Higgins they will reinvest it on other players.  Also the cap just went up, more than enough to cover his franchise tag. This means they are still top 5 in cap space.

Do you think they're going to approach free agency like a team with $50-60m to spend, or do you think we're due another press release about how they did the math and actually need to borrow ohhhh about $3.50?

Well the question was, is near-Evans money hypothetically "worth it" for Tee, not so much what will the Bengals do.  I gave my thought what I think it should mean to them, but if you ask me what I think they'll do - I think it will likely be Jessie all over again.  Tag at least once, maybe twice, the player is unhappy and they let him walk after.  Best case scenario we win a Super Bowl, worst case we as fans are disappointed the team didn't do something else with him from the beginning.

The wildcard is if Tee/the agent holds out or tries to force something.  I'm happy for us to have Tee but I'm wary of an unhappy Tee.

Edit:  I should add, if the question is considered more generic i.e. is Tee worth near-top-of-the-league money for *any* team... I'd say no.  He hasn't proven it long enough and he gets hurt too often.

• Upvote 2

After seeing Mike Evans numbers, the Bengals can easily tag Tee twice if needed. 

His PoS agent should realize this and quit dicking around. Mike Brown isn't going to give a Rub&Tug deal like Tee's agent got from Queefland. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2