*** [RD 1] Bengals Select ~ AMARIUS MIMS, OT ***

Mims' first college start ever, they put him in the College Football Playoff against Ohio State, and look at how flawless his pass protection was.

The Buckeye players get to the point where they don't even attempt to rush, as they know it's no use.

Plus, when he gets going downfield, LBs and DBs stand no chance, they get pushed like children. 

Definitely expect the coaches to give Mims a huge workload in training camp. He will likely play a ton in those hot summer preseason games too. He definitely needs more game experience, but I take great comfort in the fact that he was such a notably good practice player even when he wasn't starting. Many of those practices had NFL scouts there, including ones from the Bengals. He was no doubt on their radar even before he started playing in real games for Georgia. 

There was quite a big deal about Saban mentioning that Mims took himself out of a big game, but the injury had to be very real. You could tell that in interviews by the way the memory of the lost opportunity nags at him - he's convinced that Georgia would've won the game had he been able to play the entire game. So with what a great practice player he was at Georgia and how hard he rehabbed from his tightrope surgery to get back in the lineup, I don't have any questions about his motivation. Mims truly wants to become a great player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Maybe just me but I'm not 100% buying this red shirt year stuff.

I think he will be starting sooner or later (sooner?) and won't

look back for a decade.

I like this guy.

Here is one of many excellent points made by Paul Dehner in today's article from The Athletic.

Analysis: Look for the offseason and preseason to be all about loading up Mims with reps. The only thing he lacks is game experience so expect the Bengals to give him just that. If he dominates and impresses, there is certainly a world where he beats out Trent Brown as the starter on opening day. More than likely, they’d prefer to run the veteran out there early, but Brown also needs to arrive to the opener healthy.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Maybe just me but I'm not 100% buying this red shirt year stuff.

I think he will be starting sooner or later (sooner?) and won't

look back for a decade.

I like this guy.

I'm thinking he is going to give both Tackles rest and watch his snap count go up as the season goes on. They will give him the Myles Murphy treatment, unless Brown gets hurt and he is forced to start. I would not be entirely shocked if Brown gets hurt and this kid takes the job away from him all together.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm thinking he is going to give both Tackles rest and watch his snap count go up as the season goes on. They will give him the Myles Murphy treatment, unless Brown gets hurt and he is forced to start. I would not be entirely shocked if Brown gets hurt and this kid takes the job away from him all together.

Mims should get a lot more snaps than Murphy, even if both Browns stay healthy. He can spell Orlando for a series or two each week and nearly split time with Trent. He can also play a jumbo TE role in heavy packages. 

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Mims should get a lot more snaps than Murphy, even if both Browns stay healthy. He can spell Orlando for a series or two each week and nearly split time with Trent. He can also play a jumbo TE role in heavy packages. 

I like that idea, but i dunno how much they want to mix and match linemen, continuity is key, risking Joe cause a Brown could use a breather seems like a sketchy plan. But getting Mims snaps is key.

hopefully lots of blowouts and he can get 2 series of snaps to finish each game.

• Upvote 1