*** [RD 1] Bengals Select ~ AMARIUS MIMS, OT ***

On 5/20/2024 at 7:53 PM, dex said:

Yes, that was for the entire college career of Mims.

Only about 405 pass blocking snaps in total though.

Low snap count yes.

400 snaps with No sacks or hits is still an eye opener.

Pleased we have this kid on our roster.

I see good things ahead ..

18 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Would have liked Jones here but I'm happier with Mims.

Jones has a higher floor than Mims due to experience but Mims has a higher ceiling due to better movement skills. 

If we'd done what I wanted last year and traded down with the Titans instead of picking Murphy, we could have had Jones and TE Darnell Washington from that draft. So we wouldn't have needed a RT in this one and could have taken say Brian Thomas or Quinyon MItchell this year. We'd have had the Titans second rounder this year too which they used on T'Vondre Sweat. I wouldn't have taken him there but there were lots of good players on the board at 37. I'd have been inclined to take Jackson Powers-Johnson there. 

Mims now up to 350 pounds at the request of his coaches. Geoff Hobson:

SLANTS AND SCREENS: There's nothing like a good first impression and first-rounder Amarius Mims is making one, according to some of his teammates, as he continues to take first-team reps at right tackle while Trent Brown tends to a personal matter.

The 6-8 Mims played at 340-345 pounds in college, but he's at 350 pounds now and still looks svelte.

"I feel like I'm getting broader," Mims said Tuesday of his upper body. "The coaches like me at 350, so I'll play at 350. I feel good. I'm taking care of my body. I adjusted last week. This week I'm not asking as many questions."

Mims impressed at least one vet with his energy. Despite the 87-degree heat, Mims, a Georgia native, bounced around the offensive line drills and at one point dribbled the big exercise balls the linemen use for technique like a basketball as they moved a drill.

"This is nothing. This is a step below Georgia heat," Mims said. "I'm fortunate to play the game I love at the highest level possible and still get paid. Why not smile and all that extra stuff?" …
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Jones has a higher floor than Mims due to experience but Mims has a higher ceiling due to better movement skills. 

If we'd done what I wanted last year and traded down with the Titans instead of picking Murphy, we could have had Jones and TE Darnell Washington from that draft. So we wouldn't have needed a RT in this one and could have taken say Brian Thomas or Quinyon MItchell this year. We'd have had the Titans second rounder this year too which they used on T'Vondre Sweat. I wouldn't have taken him there but there were lots of good players on the board at 37. I'd have been inclined to take Jackson Powers-Johnson there. 

Ok...

Bottom line for me is we have  an amazing specimen for an OT with upside to be something special..

• Like 2

Our Oline looks much better this season.

What Im hoping to see is to pickup another tough vet guard as a backup.

Cody Ford is passable  but adding  another vet better than him would help during the season.

Attrition is a huge component to reach the top.

NFL cuts should make that happen..

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Our Oline looks much better this season.

What Im hoping to see is to pickup another tough vet guard as a backup.

Cody Ford is passable  but adding  another vet better than him would help during the season.

Attrition is a huge component to reach the top.

NFL cuts should make that happen..

If one of the guards were to go down with a significant injury, I wonder if they might move Trent Brown inside? I don't think Brown has played guard before, but he has played both tackle spots for multiple teams. He prides himself on his versatility. I posted this in the Dan Pitcher thread as well, but Brown got off to a tremendous start last season at LT before injuries caught up with him.

• Upvote 1

Enough about his size, there were bigger players in this draft (Titans got a couple of them) and Jones and Faalele in the AFCN are bigger than Mims. What makes him special are his feet. He can pick them up and put them down very well for a tackle. Jonah was a technician but not a physical speciman. Mims is the latter, let's just hope Pollack can develop him, rather than him having to overcome Pollack's coaching. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Griever said:

Ohhh lol, Trent is no slouch but health is definitely a concern. Hopefully your dancing bear will be ready!

This is all kinda weird. Pretty clear that Trent Brown was expecting to be in Cincinnati this week for voluntary OTAs. Otherwise he wouldn't have made the agreement to throw out the first pitch of the baseball game. A week or two ago Geoff Hobson claimed that TBrown was missing OTAs to attend to a "personal matter," So something appears to be going on here other than him just choosing to work out on his own.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dex said:

This is all kinda weird. Pretty clear that Trent Brown was expecting to be in Cincinnati this week for voluntary OTAs. Otherwise he wouldn't have made the agreement to throw out the first pitch of the baseball game. A week or two ago Geoff Hobson claimed that TBrown was missing OTAs to attend to a "personal matter," So something appears to be going on here other than him just choosing to work out on his own.

Uh oh...

7 minutes ago, Griever said:

Uh oh...

Just saw this from James Rapien:

First round pick Amarius Mims continues to play with the starting offensive line. That'll change when Trent Brown returns to the offseason program, which is expected to happen in the near future.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Griever said:

Uh oh...

Life isn’t always an “uh oh”—as in the negative “in trouble” connotation. Most likely, real life occurrences that affect us all. 

“Life is what happens to you, while you’re busy making other plans”.

—-John Lennon