Rounds 4-7 Discussion: 2024 NFL Draft

Even though much of my top Wishlist isn't being drafted, because I got blessed with Mims in Round 1, I can't really complain.

But it is very clear that the Bengals have a blueprint with all of these picks. They want guys who based on talent or potential should have been taken 2 rounds higher, but slid for some reason. 

So they are trying to "over draft" and get 1st rd talent in the 3rd, .... 2nd rd talent in the 4th etc. 

There's pretty much no "doubles" (to use a baseball) analogy, outside of maybe Kris Jenkins. 

Every other pick is "swing on your first 3 pitches, as we just need one home run to win the game". I am ok with that, as I think the Bengals roster is one of the best put together ones in the league and they are always in good salary cap health. 

But it does have its risks if all of these strike out. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

There's pretty much no "doubles" (to use a baseball) analogy, outside of maybe Kris Jenkins. 

Every other pick is "swing on your first 3 pitches, as we just need one home run to win the game". I am ok with that, as I think the Bengals roster is one of the best put together ones in the league and they are always in good salary cap health. 

But it does have its risks if all of these strike out. 

Nose Tackle pick was mainly done out of desperation. Don't think they expect to hit a home run with that one. NTs have as high a bust rate as any position in football. The Bengals would gladly settle for a double if Jackson can provide them with one. I still think they will bring in another big body NT in the 7th or an UDFA to give them more chances to hit a double.

29 minutes ago, dex said:

Nose Tackle pick was mainly done out of desperation. Don't think they expect to hit a home run with that one. 

To stick with the baseball analogy, the NT was the only "bunt" of the Bengals draft. 

My grades so far

1-Mims-B+, Not sure who i would have rather had. Makes a ton of sense to go for it there

2-Jenkins-A. Didn't have him on my list because I didn't think about how good he is at stopping the run and his other numbers are bad. He's great on the field. Captain etc. 

3A-Burton-B+. His film is incredible. Lets hope he can get his head on straight You can see a world where he blows up and then is a headache come contract time. 

3B-Jackson-B. NT. The 2 time team captain is meaningful. I think he adds toI f the DT rotation immediately. 

4-All-C-. Just take Stover. I don't get this one. All just seems like a guy we will never be able to count on. Back injuries for TEs is a no go for me. 

5-Newton-C.-I don't see him making an impact Take Hunter Nourzac

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Griever said:

I love Kris giving Katie a hug here. 🧡 

Shows he's got a big personality and will be a great fit for the locker room. I like players that wear their heart on their sleeve. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlackJesus said:

I love Kris giving Katie a hug here. 🧡 

Shows he's got a big personality and will be a great fit for the locker room. I like players that wear their heart on their sleeve. 

There is a world where he is the star we get from this draft. 

Christian Mahogany and Beau Limmer (IOL) would be good picks at this point. 

also time to look at STs… P, some LBs who can run and tackle.the guy from Miss St who was the leading tackler in the SEC, Nathaniel Watson, would be interesting. Also at RB, Dylan Laube or Cory Schrader… both can be good STs and Laube could be a weapon on 3rd down. He looked good at the Sr Bowl, even though he’s from a small school program. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, texbengal said:

Christian Mahogany and Beau Limmer (IOL) would be good picks at this point. 

also time to look at STs… P, some LBs who can run and tackle.the guy from Miss St who was the leading tackler in the SEC, Nathaniel Watson, would be interesting. Also at RB, Dylan Laube or Cory Schrader… both can be good STs and Laube could be a weapon on 3rd down. He looked good at the Sr Bowl, even though he’s from a small school program. 

Limmer and Laube have both been on my radar for a while, totally agree.

• Upvote 1