Jump to content

New Bengals Offense under Dan Pitcher


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

 

Drew has ability if given the chance ... and no DB wants to tackle him in the open field. 

 

 

 

Are you claiming that over 4 seasons he hasn't been given the opportunity? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Are you claiming that over 4 seasons he hasn't been given the opportunity? 

 

Can't score TDs if you are only used as a blocker.  

 

His lack of stats is based more on play calling than skill in my view. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

 

Can't score TDs if you are only used as a blocker.  

 

His lack of stats is based more on play calling than skill in my view. 

 

I don't think they'd be signing FA TE's every year and then drafting 2 more this year if they thought he could do that job.

 

For the record I'm fine with him being a sort of motion FB. They probably could've had that with a day 3 draft pick but that's not Drew's fault. They stay well under the salary cap so what  they're paying him isn't going to affect their budget one way or the other.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

 

After 4 years with Sheisty.. Drew only has 3.

 

He's basically a tall FB. Or an undersized extra OT that doesn't get called for a penalty if the ball hits him in the back of the head 😅 I guess that's still crucial for the new OC's offense?

If you are going to have Burrow under center more than ever before, then yeah, having a dependable inline TE becomes crucial to the new OC's offense. Unless you want Burrow that close to the line of scrimmage, turning his back to the defense, with only his 5 OL to protect him. I thought you were one of the ones demanding the coaches do more to protect Burrow from getting hit so often...this is one of the ways you can do that. Use an inline TE, go under center, use play action to buy time, etc. They won't be doing this all of the time, but I'm guessing it will be done more than we've seen with Burrow in the past.

 

As to the other post, I don't think you can find a good inline blocking TE on Day Three of the draft. In fact, if you want a rookie to do that job well enough to protect a franchise QB, you probably can't even find one on Day Two of the draft. Good receiving rookie TEs are much easier to find than good blocking TEs. Ones that  that can line up inline or even as the blocking back in shotgun pass pro sets, as Sample did late last season.

 

3 of their other TEs (Gesicki/Hudson/McLaughlin) are much more receiving TEs than inline TEs, although Gesicki played a surprisingly varied role in New England's offense last season. Based just on one day of open OTAs last week, Geoff Hobson made it sound like Gesicki was the one lining up everywhere, almost always in motion too. It may be that Gesicki will be the primary motion TE.

 

Since all 3 TEs were signed in that same week of free agency, almost as a unit, it's obvious that the trio are designed to fill different roles in the offense. We will have to wait to see the entire plan, but at least there is an actual TE room plan in pace. That seems like a new development to me.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Confirms the they’re looking for more explosive plays from the slot. Combine that with Burton having an ADOT of 20.2 last year. Going to see him a lot outside of the red zone.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dex said:

If you are going to have Burrow under center more than ever before, then yeah, having a dependable inline TE becomes crucial to the new OC's offense. Unless you want Burrow that close to the line of scrimmage, turning his back to the defense, with only his 5 OL to protect him. I thought you were one of the ones demanding the coaches do more to protect Burrow from getting hit so often...this is one of the ways you can do that. Use an inline TE, go under center, use play action to buy time, etc. They won't be doing this all of the time, but I'm guessing it will be done more than we've seen with Burrow in the past.

 

As to the other post, I don't think you can find a good inline blocking TE on Day Three of the draft. In fact, if you want a rookie to do that job well enough to protect a franchise QB, you probably can't even find one on Day Two of the draft. Good receiving rookie TEs are much easier to find than good blocking TEs. Ones that  that can line up inline or even as the blocking back in shotgun pass pro sets, as Sample did late last season.

 

3 of their other TEs (Gesicki/Hudson/McLaughlin) are much more receiving TEs than inline TEs, although Gesicki played a surprisingly varied role in New England's offense last season. Based just on one day of open OTAs last week, Geoff Hobson made it sound like Gesicki was the one lining up everywhere, almost always in motion too. It may be that Gesicki will be the primary motion TE.

 

Since all 3 TEs were signed in that same week of free agency, almost as a unit, it's obvious that the trio are designed to fill different roles in the offense. We will have to wait to see the entire plan, but at least there is an actual TE room plan in pace. That seems like a new development to me.

 

I'm excited to see what Eric All can bring once he gets healthy as well.

 

If this draft can produce a OT,DT,WR and TE that can produce we will be ok.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

 

I'm excited to see what Eric All can bring once he gets healthy as well.

 

If this draft can produce a OT,DT,WR and TE that can produce we will be ok.

 

100% - big All fan. Big Jenkins fan and I think McKinley Jackson will surprise some people. He's a load. 

Will really be interesting to see how they put together the receiving corps... both the WRs and the TEs. 

WR - Chase, Tee, Burton, Irwin, Jones, Iosivas, Lassiter, Jackson

TE - Sample, Gesicki, Hudson, All, McLachlin

 

Could make the case for keeping 10 guys there... that's a lot, but if they go with 3 RBs I think that'd be 13, as they've done in the past in a different configuration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, dex said:

If you are going to have Burrow under center more than ever before, then yeah, having a dependable inline TE becomes crucial to the new OC's offense. Unless you want Burrow that close to the line of scrimmage, turning his back to the defense, with only his 5 OL to protect him. I thought you were one of the ones demanding the coaches do more to protect Burrow from getting hit so often...this is one of the ways you can do that. Use an inline TE, go under center, use play action to buy time, etc. They won't be doing this all of the time, but I'm guessing it will be done more than we've seen with Burrow in the past.

 

As to the other post, I don't think you can find a good inline blocking TE on Day Three of the draft. In fact, if you want a rookie to do that job well enough to protect a franchise QB, you probably can't even find one on Day Two of the draft. Good receiving rookie TEs are much easier to find than good blocking TEs. Ones that  that can line up inline or even as the blocking back in shotgun pass pro sets, as Sample did late last season.

 

3 of their other TEs (Gesicki/Hudson/McLaughlin) are much more receiving TEs than inline TEs, although Gesicki played a surprisingly varied role in New England's offense last season. Based just on one day of open OTAs last week, Geoff Hobson made it sound like Gesicki was the one lining up everywhere, almost always in motion too. It may be that Gesicki will be the primary motion TE.

 

Since all 3 TEs were signed in that same week of free agency, almost as a unit, it's obvious that the trio are designed to fill different roles in the offense. We will have to wait to see the entire plan, but at least there is an actual TE room plan in pace. That seems like a new development to me.

 

A decent blocking TE doesn't have to be a rookie but it's not hard to find them in the draft. Certainly they can be had on days 2 and 3, the TEs drafted early are mainly pass catchers, ala Pitts, Bowers, or Kincaid. 

 

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

 

100% - big All fan. Big Jenkins fan and I think McKinley Jackson will surprise some people. He's a load. 

Will really be interesting to see how they put together the receiving corps... both the WRs and the TEs. 

WR - Chase, Tee, Burton, Irwin, Jones, Iosivas, Lassiter, Jackson

TE - Sample, Gesicki, Hudson, All, McLachlin

 

Could make the case for keeping 10 guys there... that's a lot, but if they go with 3 RBs I think that'd be 13, as they've done in the past in a different configuration. 

 

I'd guess they'll carry 6 WRs, 4 TEs, and 4 RBs. Plus 2 QBs, and 9 OL. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, texbengal said:

 

100% - big All fan. Big Jenkins fan and I think McKinley Jackson will surprise some people. He's a load. 

Will really be interesting to see how they put together the receiving corps... both the WRs and the TEs. 

WR - Chase, Tee, Burton, Irwin, Jones, Iosivas, Lassiter, Jackson

TE - Sample, Gesicki, Hudson, All, McLachlin

 

Could make the case for keeping 10 guys there... that's a lot, but if they go with 3 RBs I think that'd be 13, as they've done in the past in a different configuration. 

 Jackson Lassiter and McLachlin to PS

.deep units.

Is Chris Evans still in the mix??

Why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

 Jackson Lassiter and McLachlin to PS

.deep units.

Is Chris Evans still in the mix??

Why?

 

Guessing they'll keep 3 RBs and either he or Tray'Veon go to the PS. That said, the last few years they have liked Williams more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, texbengal said:

 

Guessing they'll keep 3 RBs and either he or Tray'Veon go to the PS. That said, the last few years they have liked Williams more. 

I doubt many teams keeps more than 3 RBs on the 53 man roster unless it's for special teams purposes. That might also include the Denver Broncos where  Perine may now be RB4 after this past draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So who gets Boyd's 700 plus slot snaps this season? Expect those snaps to be spread all around to a bunch of different players. A lot of it will depend on whether Burrow is under center or in shotgun. A lot of different players will be utilized, but this might be the most common groupings.

 

QB IN SHOTGUN - 11 Personnel:

WR Out: Higgins

TE Slot: Gesicki

RB (beside QB) Moss

WR Slot: Burton or Chase

WR Out: Chase or Burton

 

NOTES: The Bengals will have their first ever Passing Game Coordinator this season with the hiring of Justin Rascati. He comes from the Vikings offense where they were so good at moving Jefferson all over the place, including the slot where he was an absolute beast. Feel like the Bengals want to do the same with Chase, who has the tools to do anything Jefferson can do. Burton is far more dangerous than a possession receiver like Boyd was, so he could be a problem lined up inside/outside too.

 

QB UNDER CENTER - 12 Personnel:

WR Out: Higgins

TE In: Sample

RB (behind QB) CBrown

TE Slot: Gesicki

WR Out: Chase

 

NOTES: This could be another area where Rascati could be a factor. The Vikings also used a lot of 12 Personnel with Oliver as the blocking inline TE and Hockenson as the receiving slot TE.

The Bengals will be trying to do something similar with Sample & Gesicki. I also think the Bengals will try to get CBrown a lot of screen pass touches out of Burrow being under center. Another way to explosive plays on safe passes - remember the Indy game.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, dex said:

So who gets Boyd's 700 plus slot snaps this season? Expect those snaps to be spread all around to a bunch of different players. A lot of it will depend on whether Burrow is under center or in shotgun. A lot of different players will be utilized, but this might be the most common groupings.

 

QB IN SHOTGUN - 11 Personnel:

WR Out: Higgins

TE Slot: Gesicki

RB (beside QB) Moss

WR Slot: Burton or Chase

WR Out: Chase or Burton

 

NOTES: The Bengals will have their first ever Passing Game Coordinator this season with the hiring of Justin Rascati. He comes from the Vikings offense where they were so good at moving Jefferson all over the place, including the slot where he was an absolute beast. Feel like the Bengals want to do the same with Chase, who has the tools to do anything Jefferson can do. Burton is far more dangerous than a possession receiver like Boyd was, so he could be a problem lined up inside/outside too.

 

QB UNDER CENTER - 12 Personnel:

WR Out: Higgins

TE In: Sample

RB (behind QB) CBrown

TE Slot: Gesicki

WR Out: Chase

 

NOTES: This could be another area where Rascati could be a factor. The Vikings also used a lot of 12 Personnel with Oliver as the blocking inline TE and Hockenson as the receiving slot TE.

The Bengals will be trying to do something similar with Sample & Gesicki. I also think the Bengals will try to get CBrown a lot of screen pass touches out of Burrow being under center. Another way to explosive plays on safe passes - remember the Indy game.

 

 

 


…with Iosivas only getting limited snaps until Tee gets injured?   :shrug: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cricket said:


…with Iosivas only getting limited snaps until Tee gets injured?   :shrug: 

I just said most common groupings. 

 

I think Iosivas will get plenty of snaps this season, Just think most of them will come as an outside receiver like Higgins.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dex said:

I just said most common groupings. 

 

I think Iosivas will get plenty of snaps this season, Just think most of them will come as an outside receiver like Higgins.


Sorry.  My comment wasn’t really directed AT you.  More or less making a comment…I guess.  


It’s amazing how deep we can appear to be in one position (WR), and yet be so thin with quality at other positions (OL & DL).

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next year looking to be a bumper crop at DL, both EDGE and DT (both types, though I hope one of our two new guys really surprises this year and pushes down the need). I'd really love for Trent Brown or OBJr to take a big step forward this year to make it clear that we have bookends (with Mims, yeah, I'm assuming) for the next 3-5 years, so we can concentrate on interior OL and the defense next year.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2024 at 5:56 PM, dex said:

Betting Chase will be doing a lot of this inside/outside stuff too when he reports next week...

 

 

Chase, Burton and Iosivas next season

Im in on that.

Not feeling Chuckie Sizzle yet

but theres hope.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Chase, Burton and Iosivas next season

Im in on that.

Not feeling Chuckie Sizzle yet

but theres hope.

 

 

 

I also have hope for Jones. But we're pretty well covered for slot receivers with Gesicki, Irwin, Chase, and Burton all capable of playing there. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He played WR well at Purdue after transferring from Iowa where he was mainly a returner. He's got good speed, better than Boyd had so there's that. He's not especially big or physical though so he won't be beating defenders up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He played WR well at Purdue after transferring from Iowa where he was mainly a returner. He's got good speed, better than Boyd had so there's that. He's not especially big or physical though so he won't be beating defenders up. 

I've been hoping that Jones had bulked up the way some of the others in his draft class (Murphy/CBrown,/Iosivas) have done, but no beat writer has mentioned it if so. The biggest weakness for Jones is...weakness. He isn't strong physically at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...