Hue Jackson explains the halftime fight in 2005 season

Hue Jackson explains the halftime fight in 2005 season

By Josh Kirkendall

@Josh_Kirkendall on Jul 3, 2015, 4:00p 

usa-today-8672445.0.jpg
Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

"A lot of people thought me and him got into a fight. That wasn't a fight. Chad will be the first to tell you the guy pulled the IV out of his arm and blood starts sprouting out," Hue Jackson said via the Enquirer.

Something happened on Jan. 8, 2006.

Cincinnati was hosting the Pittsburgh Stealers, marking an epic milestone that was once believed unachievable. For the first time in 15 years, the Bengals were in the playoffs. Everything seemed so perfect. On the second play of the game, starting quarterback Carson Palmer completed a 66-yard pass to wide receiver Chris Henry, sending the Bengals from their own 12-yard line to the Stealers 22. NOTE: Re-watch the play and remember how beautiful Palmer's deep threws used to be.

As noted in the video above, Palmer's evening was finished. Kimo von Oelhoffen (suspiciously) slammed into the quarterback's knee, forcing Palmer to spend the next eight months rehabilitating torn ligaments.

"That might be the lowest moment of my career besides my incident with the Dolphins," Chad Johnson told the Cincinnati Enquirer this week. "That might be neck and neck. The piece of completing our puzzle was the quarterback situation. The reason we were in the position we were in was because of the quarterback play. To have him go down, I don't know. That hurt. That hurt bad."

In the meantime, backup quarterback Jon Kitna took over and helped Cincinnati take a 10-0 lead with 1:09 remaining in the first quarter. That's when Pittsburgh began taking control, reducing their deficit from 10 points to three. Halftime approached. Things disintegrated. It's not exactly clear what happened, but reports tend to agree that a fight took place during halftime in Cincinnati's lockerroom... and the participants were Chad Johnson and Hue Jackson, Cincinnati's wide receivers coach at the time. There were even reports of a "headlock".

Defensive tackle Shaun Smith surprisingly detailed the "fight" three years later, adding the Chad took a swing at head coach Marvin Lewis. "He swung on Marvin. . . . [Johnson] shattered the training room glass. . . . He swung on Marving [and] hit Marvin in the eye. . . . Then he tried to swing on wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, who's now in Baltimore." Jackson denied that anything happened soon after Smith's story.

"Chad Johnson never hit Marvin Lewis. Chad Johnson never hit me. Chad Johnson never put anybody in a headlock. Chad Johnson was very emotional at halftime of that game. The true story to all that was Chad had an IV in his arm and me, and him were talking about plans for the second half and he got emotional because he said, 'Hey, coach, without Carson (Palmer) I'm not going to be able to get the ball.'

"And that's what it was and I told him, `Well, then you need to tell (offensive coordinator) Coach Bratkowski that.' And he ripped the IV out of his arm, and it's like anything else, you see blood coming out of a person's arm people think the worst. And he went from there to go into the locker room to let Coach Lewis know that, 'Hey, look, I want the ball.' And that was it. And when he opened the door he stumbled out of the training room so he was flailing and people think that he was swinging on people. Chad wasn't swinging on anybody. Chad would not hit Marvin Lewis, and Chad sure would not hit me. So that is not what happened and I'm very disappointed that now, even after two years, we have to discuss this again. But that is exactly what happened."

It's a believable story; but it was also a dead one. Three years had already gone by. Why is it back in our peripheral vision nearly 10 years later? We'll there's a sense of nostalgia based out of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who are running a series of podcasts and interviews with several members of the 2005 squad. Chad Johnson and Hue Jackson appeared on the June 30 show, during which the Enquirer asked about the fight.

"A lot of people thought me and him got into a fight," said Jackson last week. "That wasn't a fight. Chad will be the first to tell you the guy pulled the IV out of his arm and blood starts sprouting out. Everyone was trying to get it closed and the emotion of where he was and it's halftime, he ripped the thing out, wanted to go win and grabbed the door. People thought commotion was going on. I was the first person to calm him down. The other person to calm him down was T.J. Us two people standing there everybody wanted to make it more than what it was. He just had a passion to win. I love passionate football players. Everybody thought he was wrong because of what was reported but it didn't happen that way."

This statement closely resembles the 2008 quotes from Jackson. An emotional Chad without his bro-man Carson Palmer, ripped out the IV, forcing blood to surface from his arm. Say what you will about these Bengals today; the '05 squad was one of the most exciting non-Super Bowl teams I've seen in franchise history. They were damn good... and damn fun.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/7/3/8889339/hue-jackson-explains-the-halftime-fight-in-2005

Even without Palmer, Bengals had the LEAD at halftime. Very selfish to have a tantrum because you want the ball when your team is leading.
This may have been the birth of Ocho Cinco.
I agree that outside of the Super Bowl teams, this was one of the franchises best.

Even without Palmer, Bengals had the LEAD at halftime. Very selfish to have a tantrum because you want the ball when your team is leading.
This may have been the birth of Ocho Cinco.
I agree that outside of the Super Bowl teams, this was one of the franchises best.

I thought it was tied 17-17? Not that it changes the scenario too much.

All well and good and very OK with this but why did it take ten years to come out?

C'mon man. isn't it obvious?  Just a week ago Hobson said we are looking to sign another WR.

And this whole off season has been dedicated to getting the old gang back together.

Think about it.  .  .  

Baby hands Kitna dropped the ball and it was all down hill from there. Chad didn't help, he's the last guy you want to go to war with.

I'd of went to war with Chad Johnson anyday, each & every time....Chad OchoCinco not so much.

It all smells fishy to me. Smith may have been a douche but why make up such a crazy lie?  Its not like it does him any good.  Also, why did it take 10 years to finally set the record straight?   Also, Chad caught 4 passes for 59 yards in that game but Ike Taylor was all over him like a cheap suit.   Chad always wanted to be in the spotlight but Kitna was taking what the Stealers were giving him and doing rather well at that point (half) to include a TD pass to TJ...not Chad.

I dunno, still think something happened at halftime. 

Didn't our punter fumble the ball on a FG try...not Kitna?

It all smells fishy to me. Smith may have been a douche but why make up such a crazy lie?  Its not like it does him any good.  Also, why did it take 10 years to finally set the record straight?   Also, Chad caught 4 passes for 59 yards in that game but Ike Taylor was all over him like a cheap suit.   Chad always wanted to be in the spotlight but Kitna was taking what the Stealers were giving him and doing rather well at that point (half) to include a TD pass to TJ...not Chad.

I dunno, still think something happened at halftime. 

Didn't our punter fumble the ball on a FG try...not Kitna?

All parties involved have reasons to not tell the absolute truth.     

Shaun Smith?  I barely remember him.  I know there was some drama with him and Marvin, I think.   Then he signs with the Browns after a shitty Bengals season and Good Browns season.

That's the way Cleveland works.   Over the years there have been so many rebirths of the Cleveland Brown greatness.   It's huge emotion from a huge fanbase from a loveable loser football organization.

Shaun was probably taking the opportunity to grind an axe and also getting caught up in the typical offseason championship Browns hype that they are the greatest and somehow every other team is dysfunctional.  

It's weird but a lot of the Browns fans/media when they are on these up swings.   They seemingly jump right to Bengal bashing despite being the lesser franchise historically and often recently. 

All parties involved have reasons to not tell the absolute truth.     

Shaun Smith?  I barely remember him.  I know there was some drama with him and Marvin, I think.   Then he signs with the Browns after a shitty Bengals season and Good Browns season.

That's the way Cleveland works.   Over the years there have been so many rebirths of the Cleveland Brown greatness.   It's huge emotion from a huge fanbase from a loveable loser football organization.

Shaun was probably taking the opportunity to grind an axe and also getting caught up in the typical offseason championship Browns hype that they are the greatest and somehow every other team is dysfunctional.  

It's weird but a lot of the Browns fans/media when they are on these up swings.   They seemingly jump right to Bengal bashing despite being the lesser franchise historically and often recently. 

I know quite a few Browns fans having  business dealings in Columbus.  If you think we have a large Team Eeyore, you haven't talked to many Browns fans recently.   I almost feel sorry for them but my genetic makeup doesn't allow it. 

I do agree, Shaun seems like a total douche. 

I know quite a few Browns fans having  business dealings in Columbus.  If you think we have a large Team Eeyore, you haven't talked to many Browns fans recently.   I almost feel sorry for them but my genetic makeup doesn't allow it. 

I do agree, Shaun seems like a total douche. 

Bengals fans can be famously bitter, snake bit, and poisoned resulting in bandwagonish ultra casual support.

Browns fans can go from Eeyore to Superhomer in a couple of beers or a draft pick. 

A whole bunch of them believe in the Cleveland football greatness despite that actual fans that saw those moments of Paul Brown etc are dead. 

Just look to the immediate aftermath of drafting Johnny Foottall.   Bunch of loons.  

Shaun Smith got caught in a wave of Cleveland Homerness and took the opportunity to grind an axe.   Douche bag from PFT jumped on it and made a story out of it. 

Bengals fans can be famously bitter, snake bit, and poisoned resulting in bandwagonish ultra casual support.

Browns fans can go from Eeyore to Superhomer in a couple of beers or a draft pick. 

A whole bunch of them believe in the Cleveland football greatness despite that actual fans that saw those moments of Paul Brown etc are dead. 

Just look to the immediate aftermath of drafting Johnny Foottall.   Bunch of loons.  

Shaun Smith got caught in a wave of Cleveland Homerness and took the opportunity to grind an axe.   Douche bag from PFT jumped on it and made a story out of it. 

Like I said, I have plenty of Cleveland friends and few of them thought drafting Johnny Douchebag was a good idea.  Even when they were 6-3 last year I remember many of them just waiting for the wheels to fall off.  They are where we were in 2002.

Archived