Dansby Expected to Sign Today

Karlos Dansby to Sign with Cincinnati Bengals

Karlos Dansby to Sign with Cincinnati Bengals

Jeff Haynes/Associated Press 

Joseph 
Zucker
Comments

Karlos Dansby was one of the best inside linebackers still available on the free-agent market and the 34-year-old is putting pen to paper on a deal with the Cincinnati Bengals on Tuesday.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network first reported that Dansby would sign with the Bengals today after Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com reported the talks between the two sides had "heated up."

On March 24, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Dansby was visiting with the team.

In a cost-saving measure, the Cleveland Browns released Dansby on March 16 shortly after signing Demario Davis.

Regarding his future, the 12-year veteran made his intentions clear in an interview with Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot: "The Browns are in a rebuild. This gets me closer to my destiny. This is an opportunity to go play for a Super Bowl contender. I'm excited. I'm getting goosebumps."

Despite his age and the mileage on his body, Dansby is a solid addition for any team, particularly one with title hopes in 2016. He led the Browns with 108 combined tackles in 2015, while his three interceptions were also tops on the team. Dansby struggled mightily defending the run, but Pro Football Focus gave him an 87.6 grade in pass coverage and a 74.7 in pass rushing. 

Awesome comeback! Limited to +1.

I'm indifferent at this point. With any FA, it could swing either way. But I'd settle for solid. How is his locker room/mentor possibilities?

Kalros is a super stud.  He'll join Burdock and with the planned position change for McC00ter to LB it'll make one hell of a LB corps.

Have to wonder what this does to linebacker in the draft. We are pretty long in the tooth, but with PJ waiting in the wings it may be hard to justify a top pick. May open it up for a second day pick on Jaylon with an IR year.

Have to wonder what this does to linebacker in the draft. We are pretty long in the tooth, but with PJ waiting in the wings it may be hard to justify a top pick. May open it up for a second day pick on Jaylon with an IR year.

Taz, Ray, Vinnie, Dansby, are all the top guys, after that you have PJ, and Hawk is old, the rest are scrubs, got to think we add at least one LB in the draft.

Taz, Ray, Vinnie, Dansby, are all the top guys, after that you have PJ, and Hawk is old, the rest are scrubs, got to think we add at least one LB in the draft.

That's at least 5 guys right there that won't get cut.  Not sure what kind of dead-money Hawk would generate with a cut but they usually hate dead money. They only kept 5 last year IIRC. 

That's at least 5 guys right there that won't get cut.  Not sure what kind of dead-money Hawk would generate with a cut but they usually hate dead money. They only kept 5 last year IIRC. 

Not only does Hawk suck these days, but he also offers zero on the special teams side of things though I think that hurts his chances of sticking around.

SLBDansby 2016Mays 2016Dimanche 2106   
MLBMaualuga 2017Rey 2018Dawson 2018Roach 2017Luc 2016 
WLBBurfict 2017Hawk 2016Flowers 2017   

SLBDansby 2016Mays 2016Dimanche 2106   
MLBMaualuga 2017Rey 2018Dawson 2018Roach 2017Luc 2016 
WLBBurfict 2017Hawk 2016Flowers 2017   

Mays isn't being brought back to play LB, he is an insurance policy in case we can't get Reggie back or draft a S.

I see it more like this.

SLB - Dansby

MLB - Malalgua, Rey

WLB, Burfict, Dawson

Everyone else is expendable.

Mays isn't being brought back to play LB, he is an insurance policy in case we can't get Reggie back or draft a S.

I see it more like this.

SLB - Dansby

MLB - Malalgua, Rey

WLB, Burfict, Dawson

Everyone else is expendable.

My understanding is he was brought in as a nickel LB/Teams player.

Zero dead cap hit for releasing AJ Hawk. Not saying it's guaranteed to happen but there are no negative impacts on the books from doing so.

If you find a link let me know

From the latest Hobson's Choice article:

Talk to Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther and special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons about Mays. He didn’t beat anybody out at safety, but Guenther liked what he did as a cover backer in the nickel package and Simmons also likes his 6-3, 230 pounds athleticism on teams.

Archived