Bengals Release Sam Adams

[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='486674' date='May 15 2007, 12:45 AM']Does Thornton have pictures of Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis in the shower together ?How does someone who consistently lines up 1-2 yards behind the line of scrimmage get blown back another 3 yards only to land on the RB after a 7 yard gain and get 4 million a year not get the axe ?I know ,I know hes a solid vet , a Lewis guy ,never gets hurt I know what I see every game from Thornton and its nothing a back up Dt couldnt do for 1 mil a year . Fat Sam did not do shit last year but neither did Thornton.[/quote]

this is by far the most foolish assessment i have ever seen, you can pretend to say you see it every game this and every game that, its bullshit, you have some personal beef with the guy and its obvious, piles of facts and reality oppose the nonsense to spew. its pretty obvious nothing is going to change your warped mind on the subject, so be it. but you have no idea what our talking about.

[quote][size=3][b]Bengals cut Sam Adams[/b]
Lewis: Release of 14-year veteran defensive tackle was 'very difficult decision.'[/size]
By Chick Ludwig
Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

CINCINNATI — The Bengals said goodbye to an aging warrior on Monday because they want to get younger
and faster, not older and slower, on the defensive line.

"Releasing Sam is a very difficult decision," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "But the timing is such that it provides Sam the opportunity to obtain a roster spot with another team. Sam has had an outstanding NFL career, and we wish him and his family the very best."

The emergence of Domata Peko, the addition of free agents Michael Myers (Denver) and Kenderick Allen (Green Bay), and the drafting of sixth-round pick Matt Toeaina leaves no room for Adams at the overcrowded position. Allen signed a one-year, $635,000 deal on Monday.

Adams, who earned a Super Bowl ring for Baltimore (2000 season), became the highest-profile free agent in Bengals history when he signed a three-year, $6.5 million deal in April 2006.

But he lasted just one season in Cincinnati, recording 25 tackles and two sacks in 16 starts.

He spent training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list, working on his conditioning to reduce his weight. Then he suffered cartilage damage in a knee during the Aug. 28 preseason game against Green Bay. Adams waited until after the season to have arthroscopic surgery.

The move saves the club $900,000. Adams was due to count $2.4 million against the cap, but the club doesn't have to pay his $1.5 million salary.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2007/05/15/ddn051507bengals.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=25"]DDN.com[/url]

Guest BlackJesus

[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='486674' date='May 15 2007, 12:45 AM']Does Thornton have pictures of Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis in the shower together ?How does someone who consistently lines up 1-2 yards behind the line of scrimmage get blown back another 3 yards only to land on the RB after a 7 yard gain and get 4 million a year not get the axe ?I know ,I know hes a solid vet , a Lewis guy ,never gets hurt I know what I see every game from Thornton and its nothing a back up Dt couldnt do for 1 mil a year . Fat Sam did not do shit last year but neither did Thornton.[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest TheBeaverHunter
[quote]At Sunday’s camp wrapup Lewis said he wants to get “back to where we started four years ago when the most important thing we had was to win the game.[/quote]

I thought we were there last season too, when we finished 8-8. Do I smell another .500 season?

2003 = 8-8
2006 = 8-8
2007 = ???

How about NOT getting back to 4 years ago and getting back to 17 years ago, which was the last time the Bengals WON a playoff game.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Adams no longer fits in [/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Bengals send vet packing[/b] [/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Marvin Lewis publicly promised this month that there would be changes to shake up the roster of the Bengals. The first shake came on Monday.

The Bengals released veteran defensive tackle Sam Adams shortly after announcing the signing of Kenderick Allen to a one-year contract. Allen has Adams-type size at 6 feet 5, 328 pounds but is less experienced and less accomplished than Adams, who completed his 13th NFL season in 2006. Adams has played in 195 games since Seattle made him the No. 8 overall pick in the 1994 draft, while Allen entered the league as an undrafted free agent with New Orleans in 2003.

The Bengals are the fourth organization Allen has been with his career, having previously played a total of 31 games with the Saints, the New York Giants and Green Bay. He played in just two games for the Packers last season due to a foot sprain.

Allen will compete for playing time in a rotation that figures to begin with John Thornton and Domata Peko as starters. Michael Myers, who was acquired as a free agent from Denver on April 20, and rookie sixth-round draft choice Matt Toeaina are also in the mix. Veteran Bryan Robinson and third-year player Jonathan Fanene are listed as defensive ends but both can play inside as well.

The Bengals have their first of 12 Organized Team Activities) today. The voluntary on-field coaching sessions and the three-day mandatory minicamp (June 1-3) will be used to prepare the team for training camp, which begins in late July at Georgetown College.

"Releasing Sam is a very difficult decision, but the timing is such that it provides Sam the opportunity to obtain a roster spot with another team," Lewis said in a statement from the team. "Sam has had an outstandingNFL career, and we wish him and his family the very best."

Adams is part of the ownership group of the Cincinnati JungleKats indoor football team, a first-year team in the minor league af2.

After the Bengals concluded their rookie minicamp on May 6, Lewis made it clear in a press conference that there would be a movement away from veterans that weren't living up to his expectations and toward younger players.

"We've gone through a little bit of a transition here where before we had some guys that no one cared about but we gave them some love, we've won some football games and now they've gotten some respect," Lewis said in that press conference. "Too many times there is that selfishness that bubbles out of that and we've got to push through that selfishness and get back into winning football game and back to where we started at four years ago when the most important thing we had was to win the game.

"We're having to bring young people back in here and have that kind of thing. They may pass some guys up who are too worried about themselves and how much they make or how much they don't do this or how much I get to do that, and we'll move forward. There will be a little bit of a change."

Lewis never mentioned any players by name at that press conference and it is not for certain how Adams fits into the context of those statements, if at all.

Adams started all 16 games last season, totaling 25 tackles and two sacks. He was slowed during the season after suffering torn knee cartilage in the preseason in a game against Green Bay, an injury he played through the entire season instead of undergoing surgery. He did have surgery after the season ended and has been around the Paul Brown Stadium complex during the team's offseason conditioning program.

Adams did spend last training camp working out with strength coaches Chip Morton and Ray Oliver to reach playing shape instead of spending time on the practice field with the rest of the Bengals. That had become an annual routine for Adams, who signed a three-year deal with the Bengals last offseason as a free agent after three seasons in Buffalo.

Adams played in Seattle for the first six seasons of his career before signing with Baltimore as a free agent in 2000 and helping the Ravens - and defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis - win a Super Bowl championship that season. He played one more season in Baltimore before joining Oakland in 2002 and helping the Raiders win the AFC championship. He joined Buffalo in 2003.

Adams was due to make base salaries of $1.5 million this season and $1.75 million in 2008. The deal included a signing bonus of $1.95 million. Adams will count $1.3 million against this year's salary cap, the remaining amortized amount of his signing bonus.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/SPT03/705150310/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...10/1022/RSS0302[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bengals cut Sam Adams[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Lewis: Release of 14-year veteran defensive tackle was 'very difficult decision.'[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

> Comment on this story
CINCINNATI — The Bengals said goodbye to an aging warrior on Monday because they want to get younger and faster, not older and slower, on the defensive line.

Sam Adams, a 14-year veteran defensive tackle who turns 34 in June, fell victim to a youth movement when the Bengals released him with two years remaining on his contract.

"Releasing Sam is a very difficult decision," head coach Marvin Lewis said. "But the timing is such that it provides Sam the opportunity to obtain a roster spot with another team. Sam has had an outstanding NFL career, and we wish him and his family the very best."

The emergence of Domata Peko, the addition of free agents Michael Myers (Denver) and Kenderick Allen (Green Bay), and the drafting of sixth-round pick Matt Toeaina leaves no room for Adams at the overcrowded position. Allen signed a one-year, $635,000 deal on Monday.

Adams, who earned a Super Bowl ring for Baltimore (2000 season), became the highest-profile free agent in Bengals history when he signed a three-year, $6.5 million deal in April 2006.

But he lasted just one season in Cincinnati, recording 25 tackles and two sacks in 16 starts.

He spent training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list, working on his conditioning to reduce his weight. Then he suffered cartilage damage in a knee during the Aug. 28 preseason game against Green Bay. Adams waited until after the season to have arthroscopic surgery.

The move saves the club $900,000. Adams was due to count $2.4 million against the cap, but the club doesn't have to pay his $1.5 million salary.

[b]What's an OTA?[/b]

It stands for Organized Team Activity.

The NFL allows clubs to hold 14 OTA days during the offseason, and no contact work is permitted.

The Bengals will conduct 12 voluntary on-field coaching sessions for players at Paul Brown Stadium. The practices — today through Thursday,

May 22-24, June 5-7 and

June 12-14 — are closed to the public. The other two OTAs will be used at the club's discretion.

— Chick Ludwig[/quote]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bengals cut Adams[/b][/size]

The snapshot that's frozen in my mind from Sam Adams' only season in Cincinnati is from a sun-scorched practice field in Georgetown, Ky. From the press box at the main stadium, you can see the adjacent field where the Bengals' conditioning coaches torture the poor wretches unfortunate enough to be hurt and/or out of shape. At a couple of bowling balls over his listed weight of 350, poor Sam was out there one August afternoon chasing and throwing medicine balls and running uphill with a harness. At one point, the defensive tackle took the ball and heaved it as far as he could in frustration. At that moment, I thought, Sam may be making millions this year, but he's earned it all this day. Afterward, Adams made a joking (I think) comment that if he saw the strength coaches in a dark alley, watch out.

Unfortunately, the Bengals never got to see the Sam Adams who was such a dominant force for Marvin Lewis' Baltimore Ravens defense. He hurt his knee in the Green Bay preseason game and played guttily but mostly ineffectively last season. It was painful to watch him waddle off the field on passing downs. His play improved late in the year as the knee healed. At one point, I asked him how much better it felt and he said it was as if he'd changed sexes. To which I could only reply, "Changed what?!"

Adams finished with only 25 tackles. He promised he'd be more effective in 2007 after having arthroscopic knee surgery, but he won't get that chance with the Bengals, who terminated his contract today.

With the signing today of Kenderick Allen, the drafting in the sixth round of Matt Toeaina and the earlier signing of veteran Michael Myers, Adams was deemed expendable.

Adams is a good guy and a straight shooter. But he was unable to do what the Bengals signed him to do -- be a consistently disruptive force against the run. Adams turns 34 next month, and the Bengals concluded it was better to turn the page than to allow him the chance to prove himself in training camp. Something tells me Adams wouldn't relish the idea of another trip to Georgetown and its memories of that searing afternoon with the medicine ball and harness.[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/blog_rabinowitz.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/s...rabinowitz.html[/url]

Look at it this way, we now have two SEC products that come from pereniall good defenses and know how to do their jobs.

Kendrick Allen is a pretty good player, JT is consistent, if nothing else, Peko is an emerging force, and Myers is another rotational player. Plus we have a few other players that can show us something.

Everyone has to realize that it flows both ways for the LBs and the D-line. If the LBs fill thei gaps like they are supposed to, the D-Line loooks good, and conversly, when the line is tying up the o-line and the LB are hitting everything that moves, The LBs look good.

im shocked at this move actually. im going to miss laughing at how fat and ridiculous he looked in stripes...lol

honestly i felt he stepped his game up during the last 4 or so games of the season. he was playing on a bummed knee which limited production but this move must be telling us that his knee was worse than suspected.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Hobson's Choice: Two Sam views [/b][/size]

May 14, 2007

[b]Q:[/b] Cutting Sam Adams, oh really? This strikes as cheaper is better. Not that it will help the cap, but $1.5 million saved is $1.5 million earned for the 2007 balance sheet. So a bad defense gets worse, but cheaper. Great news. Adams couldn't move well, but at least he wasn't getting blown off of the ball. The timing also is odd. Why not wait until camp, see if Adams can really come in shape and healthy? Then, let competition determine the roster. Instead it's losing a starter (Adams) and a reserve (Shaun Smith) and adding two reserves and a sixth-rounder. Not sure how that is progress for a defense that needed it.
[b]--Bill, Richmond, VA

BILL: [/b]You’re talking to a big Sam Guy, but I think youth is the call here and not cheap. And given that he was cut less than 24 hours before voluntaries, maybe it was all about timing.

The Bengals have been working out for five weeks, so you have to believe they’ve got a pretty good idea of what they’ve got and how much they felt Sam could give them at this point. I’m with you, I would have given him another camp.

But we’re not Marvin Lewis, either, and we don’t have to look at players and coaches if younger guys are able to do more than a guy who hardly practiced at all last season.

Remember what Lewis said the last day of rookie camp just eight days ago?

Addition by subtraction.

Maybe with the vets coming in Tuesday, it wasn't all that odd if even a Lewis favorite like Adams can get lopped.

I feel badly for Sam because it sure looked like he was rounding into some type of Pro Bowl form before he got his knee blown up against Green Bay in the preseason. And you have to salute the guy for playing hurt. But anybody who saw Sam try to get on and off the field courageously knew this wasn’t the same guy from Baltimore, or even Buffalo.

And, who knows, maybe at age 34 he would have come back. But what you do know is that you’ve got a fine 22-year-old player in Peko who got better every week. So I don’t know how that makes it a worse defense if you’re giving a talented young guy more snaps than he got last year.

And, theoretically, you’re replacing Shaun Smith with a guy in Michael Myers who has played a heck of a lot more and been more productive than Smith because he’s had far more snaps. On paper, I don’t think you can say the defense got worse although the jury is still farther out than Pluto.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Q: [/b]This is a good move for the Bengals releasing Adams. This will give them the opportunity to start Thornton and Peko while still having the depth behind them with the new additions to DT. With the new situation, do you see Thornton and Peko taking the majority of the snaps, or will they continue to rotate with the new additions?
[b]--Bryan S., Bettendorf, IA

BRYAN:[/b] One man’s gripe is another man’s grin. You have to believe Peko is going to get a lot more snaps, but I’m sure they’re excited about adding a productive, durable guy like Myers into the mix.

I would think that Thornton, Peko and Myers get the bulk of the snaps at tackle but Allen gives them an intriguing look as a guy nearly tapping out at 6-6, 330 pounds who can apparently move around well when healthy.

The problem with Allen is that he was more banged up than Adams last year with his lisfranc injury of his foot that took him out of all but two games.

Apparently the injury wasn’t serious enough to require surgery and he must have passed muster when he worked out for them last week.

Yet with their signing bonuses and salaries, Myers and Allen combined are probably hovering near Adams’ $1.5 million salary, and if the move doesn’t work and Adams goes somewhere and plays better than he did last year then the critics will Scrooge them. But if they get healthier snaps from them than Adams gave them last year, you have to count that as an upgrade.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6048"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6048[/url]

I am shocked as hell for one. Granted Sam had the knee problems and such he still was productive towards the end of the season. And when I talked to him during the draft thing down at PBS for like twenty minutes he seemed really excited for the upcoming season and talked about us going to the playoffs. So obviously this all came about really suddenly and abruptly to Sam and the management.

Guest ravonaf
I have mixed feelings on this one. We need good players but if Marvin thinks he's not good enough for this team. Then so bit it. For those that think we should have kept him because he has a low cap number. That's foolish. I don't care what the cap number is. If the player isn't worth the money you are paying him then you cut him. If the coaches aren't good enough to judge that then we have bigger problems than a fat ass DT. I'll trust Marvin on this one. I'm saddened not because he was cut, but because he wasn't good enough to make this team.

[quote name='ravonaf' post='486854' date='May 15 2007, 06:36 PM']I have mixed feelings on this one. We need good players but if Marvin thinks he's not good enough for this team. Then so bit it. For those that think we should have kept him because he has a low cap number. That's foolish. I don't care what the cap number is. If the player isn't worth the money you are paying him then you cut him. If the coaches aren't good enough to judge that then we have bigger problems than a fat ass DT. I'll trust Marvin on this one. [b]I'm saddened not because he was cut, but because he wasn't good enough to make this team.[/b][/quote]

Whats really sad is Sam was the biggest (in more ways than one) FA signing for the Bengals ever and he only lasted one season.

Hopefully, Marvin's ability to judge talent is better than anybody here or elsewhere. I'm a little surprised that they didn't let Sam come to camp to battle it out for a spot, but releasing him now is more of a reach-around to him being able to catch on with another team. Everyone should have seen some move coming once we signed Myers, drafted Toeania, and then signed Allen. The JT defenders should feel satisfied for the time being.

Guest oldschooler
[quote]The Broncos have had internal discussions regarding veteran defensive tackle Sam Adams, but they will gather more information before deciding whether to bring him in for a visit. Adams and Broncos defensive line coach Bill Johnson go way back - to 1993, when both were at Texas A&M. Nearly 14 years later, Adams was released Monday by the Cincinnati Bengals after an unproductive season in which he struggled with his conditioning. ...[/quote]

[url="http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5913852"]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5913852[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='487673' date='May 17 2007, 09:48 AM'][url="http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5913852"]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5913852[/url]
[quote]
[b]The Broncos have had internal discussions regarding veteran defensive tackle Sam Adams,[/b] but they will gather more information before deciding whether to bring him in for a visit. Adams and Broncos defensive line coach Bill Johnson go way back - to 1993, when both were at Texas A&M. Nearly 14 years later, Adams was released Monday by the Cincinnati Bengals after an unproductive season in which [b]he struggled with his conditioning. ...[/b][/quote]
[/quote]

I'm sure the mile-high air will do wonders for his conditioning....

:ninja:

Guest Tigris

[quote name='Cricket' post='487865' date='May 17 2007, 06:27 PM']I'm sure the mile-high air will do wonders for his conditioning....
:ninja:[/quote]
That's kind of serious... I didn't even think about that.

He's going to have a stroke.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='487870' date='May 17 2007, 06:31 PM']no, they'll just keep an oxygen tank by the bench![/quote]

On the bench my ass... they'd have to strap it to his body... and he's so fucking fat you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

:ninja:

[quote]Had a chance to ask the now retire team doc about Sam this morning. He told me he has very bad knee's and is struggling big time. He just doesn't have it anymore..he would have to lose 100 lbs just to keep walking normal down the road.[/quote]

No shit Straycat?

I'm not surprised, I suspected something like this for the reason. It makes sense if it is true too... no wonder they didn't wait to give him a shot in training camp. Thanks fo the info...

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='487951' date='May 17 2007, 10:21 PM']Had a chance to ask the now retire team doc about Sam this morning. He told me he has very bad knee's and is struggling big time. He just doesn't have it anymore..he would have to lose 100 lbs just to keep walking normal down the road.[/quote]

I can show him how to lose 100 lbs within less than a year (I lost 80 lbs in 6 months, ...16.5 lbs my first week).

Guest oldschooler
[quote]Given Sam Adams' problems with weight -- last year he reported to the Bengals at 375 pounds -- it would be natural to assume that the defensive tackle was recently cut by Cincinnati because he was in poor shape again.

Adams weighed in for the start of the team's offseason conditioning program at 347 pounds, a little more than the 335 they wanted him at for the start of training camp, but not in the scale's stratosphere.

Adams wasn't the difference-maker the Bengals had hoped he would be, in part because of his weight problems and knee problems. He had offseason knee surgery, and club officials probably expected him to report in the same weight range he was in last year, which would certainly have justified them cutting him.

Because he came in at a svelte 347, some observers were surprised he was cut and not John Thornton. Thornton works hard, but he is a little undersized and doesn't have Adams' track record or potential.

The Bengals still have enough options at defensive tackle to put some heat on Thornton. Team insiders say he had better prove his worth during training camp, or he might be shown the same door as Adams.[/quote]

[url="http://www.columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/05/18/rumblings0518.ART_ART_05-18-07_C3_TT6OM58.html"]http://www.columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/c...C3_TT6OM58.html[/url]

Archived