BONDS HITS NO. 756

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='523405' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:34 AM'][center][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/bonds.jpg[/img][/center][center][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/BatCountry/bonds2.gif[/img][/center][/quote]

Babe Ruth played in an all white league, didn't he? I'm sure he played against the best athletes..... :boring: Also, half of MLB takes steroids...including pitchers so that evens it all out IMO.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='523407' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:34 AM']Yep.

And I take solace in knowing that (barring injury) that A-Rod will crush any record Bonds sets.
I don't give a shit if he is a Yankee; [b]at least he's not juicing...[/b][/quote]

You don't know that.

[quote name='#22' post='523409' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:40 AM']I'm really happy for Barry. He's the best hitter in baseball, and (as Joe Morgan says), PROVE that he took steroids.[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='523585' date='Aug 8 2007, 11:02 AM']it wasnt equal on ruths part either. he didnt have to face any non white players. and the non white players are far better baseball players.[/quote]

Some of them were all-time greats (satchel, buck o'neil, josh gibson), some of them were scrubs too. The thing is, we'll never really know who truly was better.

Personally I think the RBI record is more important than the HR record, and guess who holds that. Hank Aaron. He eclipsed Ruth in that too. Although if he had stayed healthy, Lou Gehrig would have had a ridiculous number that might as well have been untouchable.

Edited apparently Buck O'Neil was a better story teller, scout, and exec than player

[quote][b]how can u say those triples would be HRs? [/b]how do u know the ball flight? a gap shot that would normally hit the wall and stop could have rolled an extra 10-20 feet and instead of it being a double (like it is now) it could have been a triple then. id bet a lot of money that most of those triples were results of balls in the gaps (most good hitters hit a lot of gap shots) or balls down the lines.[/quote]

I did not say all of those triples were HR's; if they played Ruth shallow I can see him hitting a shot down the lines and legging out three-baggers. But, when Ruth stepped up to the plate and I was the manager, I would position my players accordingly (deep and to pull).

[quote name='Actium' post='523590' date='Aug 8 2007, 12:21 PM']Some of them were all-time greats (satchel, buck o'neil, josh gibson), some of them were scrubs too. The thing is, we'll never really know who truly was better.

Personally I think the RBI record is more important than the HR record, and guess who holds that. Hank Aaron. He eclipsed Ruth in that too. Although if he had stayed healthy, Lou Gehrig would have had a ridiculous number that might as well have been untouchable.[/quote]

[i]Actium,

Why I list Ruth ahead or more specifically what makes me seperate him from both Aaron and Bonds is because of what he also did on the mound and those World Series banner. Neither, Aaron or Bonds pitched in a game to my knowledge[/i] :unsure:

[i]If, Ruth would of stayed to only pitching; we may be speaking of him as a 300 game winner.[/i]

[quote name='Lawman' post='523601' date='Aug 8 2007, 12:33 PM'][i]Actium,

Why I list Ruth ahead or more specifically what makes me seperate him from both Aaron and Bonds is because of what he also did on the mound and those World Series banner. Neither, Aaron or Bonds pitched in a game to my knowledge[/i] :unsure:

[i]If, Ruth would of stayed to only pitching; we may be speaking of him as a 300 game winner.[/i][/quote]

without facing the best players in the world.

did you guys hear the story about the guy who caught the ball ?

[quote][img]http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ww/news/2007/08/08/met-fan-full.jpg[/img]

In the middle of it all was 22-year-old New Yorker Matt Murphy, who emerged from beneath the pile holding the ball Bonds hit for career home run No. 756. His face was bloodied and his clothes stretched and torn from his battle in the bleachers.

A team of San Francisco police officers moved in, extracted Murphy from the crowd, and quickly led him through a tunnel and into a secure room.

As he high-fived other fans, Murphy, wearing a New York Mets jersey and cap, slid the ball into the back pocket of his plaid Bermuda shorts.

Reporters screamed questions, but all he managed to say was, "I'm Matt Murphy from Queens, N.Y."

"I just hope he didn't get hurt," Bonds said after the game, which the Giants lost 8-6 to the Washington Nationals. He said he had no interest in getting the ball back for himself.

"I don't want the ball," Bonds said. "I've never believed a home run ball belonged to the player. If he caught it, it's his."

Murphy and a friend were en route to Australia and in San Francisco for a one-day layover, a Giants spokesman said. They purchased tickets just before the game.

He and the friend, dressed in New York Yankees regalia, were razzed by nearby Giants fans. "Hey, this isn't New York!" one shouted. Murphy and his friend just laughed it off before settling into their seats.

Murphy declined to make himself available to the media.

Baseball memorabilia experts have pegged the ball's value at $400,000 to $500,000. That's well below the $3.3 million fetched by Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball in 1998.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-bonds-ball&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-b...p&type=lgns[/url]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='523618' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:05 PM']without facing the best players in the world.[/quote]

[i].. but hitting porrly constructed baseball at a required longer distance. [/i]

[i]Have you ever been to Cooperstown and seen Ruth's bat and the balls they used[/i] :mellow:

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='523623' date='Aug 8 2007, 01:17 PM']did you guys hear the story about the guy who caught the ball ?[/quote]

[i]I seen the photo[/i] : [img]http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2007/08/08/5TgeBRb7.jpg[/img]

[i]...passing through on his way to Australia [/i]:unsure:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='523517' date='Aug 8 2007, 10:05 AM']how could would it have been to see Kearns rob him of that HR.

What a cockbag. [b]He totally blew off his son at homeplate[/b]. He also dissed the pitcher by just standing at home plate and watching it for like 10 seconds.[/quote]

And his wife too.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='523618' date='Aug 8 2007, 12:05 PM']without facing the best players in the world.[/quote]

Some of them. Let's not pretend that all the Negro League players were the best. There were some truly gifted players, and there were a lot of not so gifted ones. Just like in the white leagues there were some immortals and many an also-ran. Ruth has got to be considered at the top of the list, along with others from later integrated eras like Willy Mays.

[quote name='Actium' post='523674' date='Aug 8 2007, 02:33 PM']Some of them. Let's not pretend that all the Negro League players were the best. There were some truly gifted players, and there were a lot of not so gifted ones. Just like in the white leagues there were some immortals and many an also-ran. Ruth has got to be considered at the top of the list, along with others from later integrated eras like Willy Mays.[/quote]
and Willy Mays Hays

[img]http://blogs.nydailynews.com/giants/archives/WillieMaysHayes.jpg[/img]

Good for you Barry. The apathy of everyone outside of San Fran towards you and your "record" should tell you how we collectively feel about it.
Thank God this chase is over. Now retire already with your big head and body armor.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='523737' date='Aug 8 2007, 05:58 PM']Good for you Barry. The apathy of everyone outside of San Fran towards you and your "record" should tell you how we collectively feel about it.
Thank God this chase is over. Now retire already with your big head and body armor.[/quote]
he was applauded on the road when he hit 755. the hate for bonds is mainly in the media.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='523587' date='Aug 8 2007, 11:12 AM']You don't know that.[/quote]

Find one documented [b]insinuation[/b] that he has (or Griffey for that matter, who if hadn't been injured for most of 4 years might have broken the record already) and I will retract the statement...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='523918' date='Aug 9 2007, 12:02 AM']he was applauded on the road when he hit 755. the hate for bonds is mainly in the media.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Tabernacle.[/b][/color]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='523918' date='Aug 9 2007, 12:02 AM']he was applauded on the road when he hit 755. the hate for bonds is mainly in the media.[/quote]

Sure he's going to get applause when he ties a record that's stood for 33 years, but what about all of the steroids banners at opposing ball parks in the past year or so? Hate from what media? Local media maybe, but ESPN has been deep throating his cock the whole way. Face it, Bonds fans are the minority.

Just wondering, what did people think that none of the Nat infielders got anywhere near him when he was rounding the bases? Is that the norm. I thought that at least one of them would give him 5 or smack his ass as he went by.

[quote name='Hooky' post='524015' date='Aug 9 2007, 09:24 AM']Sure he's going to get applause when he ties a record that's stood for 33 years, but what about all of the steroids banners at opposing ball parks in the past year or so? Hate from what media? Local media maybe, but ESPN has been deep throating his cock the whole way. Face it, Bonds fans are the minority.

Just wondering, what did people think that none of the Nat infielders got anywhere near him when he was rounding the bases? Is that the norm. I thought that at least one of them would give him 5 or smack his ass as he went by.[/quote]

I think the fans in San Diego were happy they got to see what they came to see. Recall that San Diego previously had lauded Barry with a giant syringe, although that was just one fan.

I know I applauded Sosa when he hit his 500th at a game I attended, mostly because [b]nobody wants their team's fans to be seen as low-class[/b], and I appreciate it when this is reciprocated for our players, like when Cardinals fans gave Griffey a standing ovation for his 500th. This also played a part in Barry's reception, I believe. For the record, I disliked Sosa before his corked bat, detested him before he forgot how to speak English before congress, and now loathe the rat - I don't remember in what stage his 500th came - but the point is, I don't think Bonds's being cheered on the road is any indication of how well he is liked.

I didn't notice the Nats infielders, but I did notice, as GoBengals pointed out, that Nikolai was there at home plate to give him a hug and got almost completely ignored, and looked the fool when Barry ignored his hug attempt.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='523922' date='Aug 8 2007, 11:14 PM']Find one documented [b]insinuation[/b] that he has (or Griffey for that matter, who if hadn't been injured for most of 4 years might have broken the record already) and I will retract the statement...[/quote]

Shit. I just pwned myself:

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070809/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_cjones_a_rod;_ylt=Ag9BXUiovGRsO62FvC2issOs0NUE"]Steroid question could dog A-Rod[/url]
<_<

I think I might just stop watching baseball...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='523922' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:44 AM']Find one documented [b]insinuation[/b] that he has (or Griffey for that matter, who if hadn't been injured for most of 4 years might have broken the record already) and I will retract the statement...[/quote]

I don't believe I ever have seen any insinuation that ARod or Griffey took/take roids/performance enhancers but that doesn't mean don't or haven't. I didn't post what I did to be a dick, just to say that noone [b]definitively[/b] knows one way or the other.

Barry Bonds has known how the media works ever since his childhood, being the son and godson of baseball players so he has had a disdain for them since an early age and acted towards them based on that disdain. The media has an "axe to grind" with Barry and they have the ability to mold public opinion on him and have done so.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='524138' date='Aug 9 2007, 12:22 PM']I don't believe I ever have seen any insinuation that ARod or Griffey took/take roids/performance enhancers but that doesn't mean don't or haven't. I didn't post what I did to be a dick, just to say that noone [b]definitively[/b] knows one way or the other.

Barry Bonds has known how the media works ever since his childhood, being the son and godson of baseball players so he has had a disdain for them since an early age and acted towards them based on that disdain. The media has an "axe to grind" with Barry and they have the ability to mold public opinion on him and have done so.[/quote]

Does Greg Anderson just love prison food then?

[quote name='Hooky' post='524015' date='Aug 9 2007, 10:54 AM']Sure he's going to get applause when he ties a record that's stood for 33 years, but what about all of the steroids banners at opposing ball parks in the past year or so? Hate from what media? Local media maybe, but ESPN has been deep throating his cock the whole way. Face it, Bonds fans are the minority.

Just wondering, what did people think that none of the Nat infielders got anywhere near him when he was rounding the bases? Is that the norm. I thought that at least one of them would give him 5 or smack his ass as he went by.[/quote]

Barry Bonds is regarded by his peers to be one of the best, if not the best player to ever play the game. I think it was Mark Grace who was talking about how much the players respect and are in awe of Barry Bonds.

Archived