The Official "How Much do you loathe Kornholio" Thread

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='545055' date='Sep 11 2007, 02:52 PM']Who would you prefer? Theismann, Madden, Gumbel, Miller, McCarver (baseball, I know), or Kornheiser?[/quote]

I thought Ditka did a good job on the Cards/Niners game. Dick Vermeil is also excellent.

[quote name='Actium' post='545092' date='Sep 11 2007, 04:19 PM']I thought Ditka did a good job on the Cards/Niners game. Dick Vermeil is also excellent.[/quote]

Fair enough. PTI just showed Ditka adjusting his junk during the broadcast last night...apparently it went out over the air live yesterday.

[quote][size=5][b]The Sacking of Monday Night Football[/b][/size]
Categories: sports, tv, football

Here’s what you need to know about Monday Night Football’s 37th season opener: In the middle of the third quarter of the Bengals/Ravens game, sports journalist/guy who screams at other guys about sports/world’s unfunniest purportedly funny personality Tony Kornheiser asked if Kanye West was related to Adam West.

The context of the question is unimportant...because there was no context.

Kornheiser just blurted it out, as if he realized he hadn’t spoken for five minutes and wanted to remind America he was still in the booth. The sad thing is that the two men qualified to be announcing the game, former Eagles QB Ron Jaworski and veteran sportscaster Mike Tirico, guffawed like drunk frat boys on dollar-beer night at the Laugh Factory.

You see, the irony is that Kanye West is a young African-American rapper, and Adam West, well, he’s an old white guy who played Batman on television.

And that’s relevant to the broadcasting of a professional football game because, apparently, the corporate overlords at ESPN, in their second season of Monday Night Football, believe people who watch football on Monday nights have suffered traumatic brain injuries. To conclude anything else would be sheer folly.

It’s also Kornheiser’s second season on Monday Night Football. And apparently, because of his lack of chemistry with former Redskins QB Joe Theismann in 2006, ESPN brought in Kornheiser’s pal Jaworski to smooth things out in the booth.

To be fair, watching Monday Night Football last season was painful.

Alas, what the new season shows is that replacing Theismann hasn’t altered the snooze factor. It’s not that we expect Monday Night Football will be the national event it was when we were kids—who doesn’t remember Howard Cosell announcing the death of John Lennon during the middle of a Dolphins and Patriots game? Or Lawrence Taylor snapping Theismann’s leg? Or Don Meredith singing “Turn out the lights/ the party’s over” each week?—only that it be as good or better than any of the dozen games shown on Sunday, at least in terms of the broadcasters.

Which leads us back to the ineffectual Kornheiser. There’s simply no reason to have him in the booth. You might expect that as a journalist Kornheiser might have some important nuggets to impart (as Cosell did in his time). Instead, we get to hear Kornheiser's adenoidal whine as he reads directly from player bios (including a fascinating tidbit about a player raised on a pig farm), makes important proclamations (“This game feels critical.” And “The toe is the Achilles heel for great athletes.”) and creates, on the fly, terrible puns. At least Dennis Miller was occasionally funny. Not funny ha-ha, mind you, but funny.

Jaworski, on the other hand, was a welcome addition full of football insight and critical points, which augers well for the future of the franchise. Tirico remained Tirico during week one, which is to say he didn’t do anything to make anyone forget Al Michaels...nor the fond memories many of us have of watching paint dry. But he managed to get down and distance correct, and he stayed out of Jaworski’s way.

Oh...and the game? A thrilling contest that went down to the last moments, when officials who looked to be shaving points made some of the worst calls in recent memory (not as bad as the call that allowed Kornheiser to do his imitation of Howard Cosell, which sounded like someone doing an imitation of John F. Kennedy imitating someone imitating Howard Cosell...do the math, it all works out) before the Bengals finally prevailed 27-20 over the Ravens.[/quote]

[url="http://www.eonline.com/coolstuff/detail/index.jsp?uuid=dea7fe70-c278-409e-93bd-77c3b5bf8963"]http://www.eonline.com/coolstuff/detail/in...bd-77c3b5bf8963[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='545769' date='Sep 12 2007, 10:16 AM'][url="http://www.eonline.com/coolstuff/detail/index.jsp?uuid=dea7fe70-c278-409e-93bd-77c3b5bf8963"]http://www.eonline.com/coolstuff/detail/in...bd-77c3b5bf8963[/url][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='bengalfan34' post='545913' date='Sep 12 2007, 01:18 PM']Which on of them said they would put Palmer the #1 QB in the league if he put up numbers like Brady and Manning in week 1?[/quote]

Probably Kornolio. He kept saying Palmer has "done nothing." That unless he converting this particular drive, he wasn't worth his salt as a QB.

Even Joe hates Kornholio...

[url="http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/monday_night_football"]The Onion[/url]

[quote][size=5]Monday Night Football Cameraman Finds Joe Theismann In Stands[/size]

September 13, 2007 | Onion Sports

[img]http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Monday-Night.jpg[/img][/quote]

• 10 months later...
Somebody needs to beat that little Kornnuggets head in.

He was driving me nuts last night. Trying to act like this 1st pre-season game was a deciding factor on how the bengals season would be this year.

Was trying to say the Bengals are EVEN losing their own state. Saying that because the Browns have so many Primetime games this year that makes them better.

I thought the broadcasters were awful last night. They paid more attention to the Jets QB than to the game. It was as if they had done their game prep 3 weeks ago and were too lazy to redo it after the trade. At one point a Bengals lineman was down hurt and play was delayed a bit. Instead of identifying the player or showing how he got hurt, the director went to the booth camera and showed the 3 announcers talking about nothing in particular.

ESPN seems to have forgotten how to produce a football game. There's nothing wrong with mentioning Favre's departure in the pregame and focusing on how Rogers was doing, but it really shouldn't have been the focus of the broadcast. These guys live on the East coast and think everyone is obsessed with Favre.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' post='686935' date='Aug 12 2008, 12:34 PM']I guess I'm odd. The three of them had me laughing out loud a couple of times last night. Korn wasn't near as annoying as Jaw's suit in the pre-game. That suit and tie was hurting my eyes...[/quote]

Very very odd.

I turned it off when they started calling Green Bay a potential dynasty in the making.

[quote name='sparky151' post='686941' date='Aug 12 2008, 12:57 PM']At one point a Bengals lineman was down hurt and play was delayed a bit. Instead of identifying the player or showing how he got hurt, the director went to the booth camera and showed the 3 announcers talking about nothing in particular.[/quote]

I noticed that too. They watned to show that douche wearing a Jets jersey.

:vomit:

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='686949' date='Aug 12 2008, 12:05 PM']Holy crap....I thought I kept up with the wrong game last night....lol[/quote]

:D

Just bumped a thread from last year to show that Kornholio hasn't improved at all. Time to cut him loose

Jaworski is the only one of these three losers worth redeeming. Annoying is the least offensive word I can use to describe the other two clowns. The action of the game itself seemed to be the last item of interest to these bozos. I want someone like Madden who is fully engaged in the play of the game and brings parts of the game to my attention that I wouldn’t have known otherwise. Cornhead’s insult about the Bengals picking up where they left off last year after only two poorly played offensive series at the very beginning of the game showed what kind of lump head this guy is. I don’t recall seeing such poor play at any time all last year for two consecutive series. This is just another national sports guru who knows next to nothing about the Bengals except what he reads other Bengal haters write.

[quote name='high plains drifter' post='687066' date='Aug 13 2008, 09:43 AM'][b]Jaworski is the only one of these three losers worth redeeming. Annoying is the least offensive word I can use to describe the other two clowns. [/b]The action of the game itself seemed to be the last item of interest to these bozos. I want someone like Madden who is fully engaged in the play of the game and brings parts of the game to my attention that I wouldn’t have known otherwise. Cornhead’s insult about the Bengals picking up where they left off last year after only two poorly played offensive series at the very beginning of the game showed what kind of lump head this guy is. I don’t recall seeing such poor play at any time all last year for two consecutive series. This is just another national sports guru who knows next to nothing about the Bengals except what he reads other Bengal haters write.[/quote]
I missed last night's moronathon, but that sums up Tirico and Kornheiser to a T. I can't stand either of them.

Archived