Antwan Odom To Visit Sunday

Might as well mention that in addition to Peppers, Jason Taylor is available in trade.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ati.Plls_txdDez8x90VNyrsYNAF?slug=jc-taylor030108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ati....o&type=lgns[/url]

[quote name='sparky151' post='638307' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:30 PM']Might as well mention that in addition to Peppers, Jason Taylor is available in trade.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ati.Plls_txdDez8x90VNyrsYNAF?slug=jc-taylor030108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ati....o&type=lgns[/url][/quote]

Top tier DEs are way out of grasp for the bengals if we can't tie up a 2nd tier DT because of "contract language."

Mike Brown would probably end up spelling Julius Peppers' name wrong and Pittsburgh would win the spelling bee and a stud DE.

[quote name='unleashed' post='638312' date='Mar 2 2008, 01:06 AM']Top tier DEs are way out of grasp for the bengals if we can't tie up a 2nd tier DT because of "contract language."

Mike Brown would probably end up spelling Julius Peppers' name wrong and Pittsburgh would win the spelling bee and a stud DE.[/quote]
:lol: :rolleyes:

[quote name='unleashed' post='638312' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:06 AM']Top tier DEs are way out of grasp for the bengals if we can't tie up a 2nd tier DT because of "contract language."

Mike Brown would probably end up spelling Julius Peppers' name wrong and Pittsburgh would win the spelling bee and a stud DE.[/quote]

Shaun Rogers is not a 2nd tier DT. He is one of the 3 best DT's in the game. Its a shame that it fell through, its tough to get over it because it was reported everywhere that a trade was done only to find out later hes a brown.

[quote name='unleashed' post='638312' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:06 PM']Top tier DEs are way out of grasp for the bengals if we can't tie up a 2nd tier DT because of "contract language."

Your statement holds absolutely no water.

Don't you know that people in Pittsburgh are illiterate?

i do not want to get my hopes up in getting odom....i feel like if he leaves sunday we WILL NOT get him and if we give him an offer that the titans will match it. SO i think im better off just not thinking about it until things clear up in the mean time maybe we could grab Mcree

antwan odom had a total of 21 tackles in 16 games as a starter albeit in a rotational role as a pass rusher... He had a career high 8 sacks for a grand total of 12.5 during his tenure with the Titans..

WTF is all the hype for???? Going to OVERPAY for a player that hasnt really proven shit yet......
What am I missing here??
Is this just desperation to sign A PLAYER thats a FREE AGENT?

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='638495' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:04 PM']antwan odom had a total of 21 tackles in 16 games as a starter albeit in a rotational role as a pass rusher... He had a career high 8 sacks for a grand total of 12.5 during his tenure with the Titans..

WTF is all the hype for???? Going to OVERPAY for a player that hasnt really proven shit yet......
What am I missing here??
Is this just desperation to sign A PLAYER thats a FREE AGENT?[/quote]
He had 8 sacks in a situational role. Our entire front 4 starters had a COMBINED 8 sacks. Odom would be better than arguably every end on the roster, depending on how Geathers bounces back. He would be a HUGE upgrade over whoever we have at end opposite Geathers.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='638495' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:04 PM']antwan odom had a total of 21 tackles in 16 games as a starter albeit in a rotational role as a pass rusher... He had a career high 8 sacks for a grand total of 12.5 during his tenure with the Titans..

What am I missing here??
we lost justin we need to fill in somewhat for him....who else who you recomend us get. He's young hes playign well he has room for improvment and hes coming for a visit .

[quote name='unleashed' post='638312' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:06 AM']Top tier DEs are way out of grasp for the bengals if we can't tie up a 2nd tier DT because of "contract language."

lol Rogers is a 2nd tier DT now? And you did read the thread where it was the lions that fucked up the deal, right?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638523' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:44 PM']lol Rogers is a 2nd tier DT now? And you did read the thread where it was the lions that fucked up the deal, right?[/quote]

Antawn Odom seems like a quality player who it would be good to have on the roster. Howver this draft is deep in DE's and we really needed a DT. I hope that we dont overpay for a DE just because we want to make a move and got bent over by the league.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='638526' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:50 PM']Antawn Odom seems like a quality player who it would be good to have on the roster. Howver this draft is deep in DE's and we really needed a DT. I hope that we dont overpay for a DE just because we want to make a move and got bent over by the league.[/quote]

agreed, and I actually think we will get a FA and use a top 2 round draft pick at DE. We have the cap space though to sign an Odom like guy, and potentially make a trade for someone like robertson (not sure what his cap hit is off hand).

We have the money this year, and we've consistently spent up to the cap since Marvin's been here. That's not the issue IMO. The issue is getting the players to want to come here and getting a deal that works.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638523' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:44 PM']lol Rogers is a 2nd tier DT now? And you did read the thread where it was the lions that fucked up the deal, right?[/quote]

That's probably where our money goes....Mike Brown has to pay off other teams to say they fucked up when he can't figure out the paperwork for a trade.

[quote name='unleashed' post='638532' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:58 PM']That's probably where our money goes....Mike Brown has to pay off other teams to say they fucked up when he can't figure out the paperwork for a trade.[/quote]

do people seriously believe the shit they write anymore?

thats hilarious.. no really thats sooo funny..

thats a really good post... thanks..

[quote name='globetrotter' post='638526' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:50 PM']Antawn Odom seems like a quality player who it would be good to have on the roster. Howver this draft is deep in DE's and we really needed a DT. I hope that we dont overpay for a DE just because we want to make a move and got bent over by the league.[/quote]

Antwan Odom may have the ability to become very good in a bigger role... He had the opportunity to gain some measure of successs playing opposite KVB and Haynesworth where Offensses stacked to limit thier effectiveness... He wasnt the key player in Tennessee..
Its a gamble with him....
He hasnt shown a hell of alot yet but the potential is there....
Is this guy a pass rusher with limited abiltiy to stop the run??? 21 total tackles in 16 games is concerning...
8 sacks and 7 PD's show that he can pressure though...
I hope he's the real deal.. God knows the team needs someone to anchor that side besides Frostee...

[quote name='dacow' post='638631' date='Mar 2 2008, 03:31 PM']Pollack can rush the passer in a situational role. At least I am hoping so. Man, pinning one's hope on him is like pinning it on Odell and Henry, but for different reasons. Is that thin ice or thick water??[/quote]

I doubt they are counting on him to be a starter, or anywhere close to it.

Personally, I'd like to see Odom and Geathers as the starters, with Pollack and Quentin Groves getting a lot of rotational play. giving us 4 solid playmaking DE's.

A DT rotation of Peko, Fanene, Thornton, and draft pick/free agent.

A healthy, beefeed up Rucker as the tweener.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638638' date='Mar 2 2008, 03:52 PM']I doubt they are counting on him to be a starter, or anywhere close to it.

Personally, I'd like to see Odom and Geathers as the starters, with Pollack and Quentin Groves getting a lot of rotational play. giving us 4 solid playmaking DE's.

A DT rotation of Peko, Fanene, Thornton, and draft pick/free agent.

A healthy, beefeed up Rucker as the tweener.[/quote]

Any news on any of the guys that were supposed to be visiting today? (Odom, McCree, Utecht...)

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='638639' date='Mar 2 2008, 03:57 PM']Any news on any of the guys that were supposed to be visiting today? (Odom, McCree, Utecht...)[/quote]

I haven't heard anything, not sure if we'll hear anything on Odom until tomorrow since he's supposed to be staying both days. Maybe we'll get luck though and something gets done tonight.

What am I missing here??

Same hype for a fat ass lazy DT, who got purged from a shitty team (Does it even matter why?). Some people think it is important to do something, even if its stupid. Just to say we're doing something. Doesn't make any sense to me.

[quote name='TecmoBengal9' post='638644' date='Mar 2 2008, 04:03 PM']Same hype for a fat ass lazy DT, who got purged from a shitty team (Does it even matter why?). Some people think it is important to do something, even if its stupid. Just to say we're doing something. Doesn't make any sense to me.[/quote]

Does this make sense?

We lost a starting DE and we need to find a replacement.

Odom just so happens to be a DE and he's a free agent visiting today.

He's not Dwight Freeney, but he sure as shit isn't Fanene or Frostee.

Nobody is suggesting throwing big bucks at Odom just in the name of doing something. I think people are suggesting they'd like to see us sign a DE since we need to find a new starter and Odom is better than any of the guys currently on the roster that could replace Justin.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='638660' date='Mar 2 2008, 04:14 PM']Does this make sense?

We lost a starting DE and we need to find a replacement.

Odom just so happens to be a DE and he's a free agent visiting today.

He's not Dwight Freeney, but he sure as shit isn't Fanene or Frostee.

Nobody is suggesting throwing big bucks at Odom just in the name of doing something. I think people are suggesting they'd like to see us sign a DE since we need to find a new starter and Odom is better than any of the guys currently on the roster that could replace Justin.[/quote]

I agree, but there is a group of people who think if we don't sign Odom it is another sign that the Bengals are stupid, cheap, don't care etc... That's the group I'm aiming at.

Archived