Antwan Odom To Visit Sunday

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='637103' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:57 PM']Ellis being there @ 9 is a pipe dream....[/quote]

Depends on whether there's a consensus #1 DT or not. Ellis had a good senior bowl then a bad combine. I doubt 2 DTs go in the first 8 picks. Miami and the Jets have already traded for DTs. Atlanta might trade for Stroud. Oakland just threw money at Kelly. Rams and Chiefs could use a DT but would probably take Jake Long before either DT. Chris Long has to go in there somewhere.

[quote name='sparky151' post='637111' date='Feb 29 2008, 05:04 PM']Depends on whether there's a consensus #1 DT or not. Ellis had a good senior bowl then a bad combine. I doubt 2 DTs go in the first 8 picks. Miami and the Jets have already traded for DTs. Atlanta might trade for Stroud. Oakland just threw money at Kelly. Rams and Chiefs could use a DT but would probably take Jake Long before either DT. Chris Long has to go in there somewhere.[/quote]

It will be very interesting. I'm still hoping Ellis slides to us but it won't be a feeling of dread if he gets taken before us like it might have been otherwise.

I wouldn't hate a RB at 9, but I am hoping for one of the top 4 D line guys and would probably prefer Merling over anyone else if the top 4 are gone.

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='637081' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:45 PM']He's a 4-3 end and not as quick as Geathers

I think it would be foolish to go from 100% 4-3 to 100% 3-4 in one year, you need to transition into it.

That said I would love to have him, we need more versatility in our defense and need to run both the schemes

Bottom line no matter the scheme: he makes us a better team and thats the point, who cares about the scheme we need better football players[/quote]

I think that we're going to stay in a 4-3. Ellis and Rodgers would make a good DT configuration.Rodgers has been a 4-3 DT not a 3-4 as reported here.

[quote name='Patmo' post='637137' date='Feb 29 2008, 05:21 PM']I think that we're going to stay in a 4-3. Ellis and Rodgers would make a good DT configuration.Rodgers has been a 4-3 DT not a 3-4 as reported here.[/quote]

With the acqisition of Rodgrers,drafting Merling Merling at SE wouldn't surprise me.

[quote name='CJBESTINAFC' post='637089' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:48 PM']So if we do get Odom, DE and DT have been addressed, who do you draft in the first. Personally I would draft Mendenhall at #9 and dump Rudi. I also like the possiblity of drafting Rivers in the first. LB could also be the move in the second round. Your thoughts?[/quote]

Rivers in the first, Dustin Keller in the 2nd, o-line or RB in the 3rd.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='637052' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:37 PM']Ok which one of you guys took the bullet and slept with Mike Brown to make this stuff happen?[/quote]

Being one of the older ones here and the most frustrated... I won't admit to sleeping with Mike Brown...

He didn't sleep!

:ninja:

It was worth it...

[quote name='CJBESTINAFC' post='637089' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:48 PM']So if we do get Odom, DE and DT have been addressed, who do you draft in the first. Personally I would draft Mendenhall at #9 and dump Rudi. I also like the possiblity of drafting Rivers in the first. LB could also be the move in the second round. Your thoughts?[/quote]

Phillips at Safety, or Rivers at LB is what I see.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Mendenhall either.

without hesitation, you grab sedrick ellis if you have any chance whatsoever in getting him. by doing so you're taking your defense into upper tier level, especially with odom or pollack on the outside. you've also invested in your future, as rogers won't last forever. i can't tell you how fast i'd run to the podium.

[quote name='happyrid' post='637096' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:53 PM']I suspect that they are leaning towards the 3-4. If Odom can play OLB and they can get a DE in the draft like Merling, we could be pretty damn loaded up front.[/quote]

i dunno, an odom signing would likely confirm we're staying in a 4-3 base...tho we could play around with a 3-4. odom's not a 3-4 DE, he won't hold up and i doubt he's a project for a 3-4 LB.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='637173' date='Feb 29 2008, 06:10 PM']Being one of the older ones here and the most frustrated... I won't admit to sleeping with Mike Brown...

He didn't sleep!

:ninja:

It was worth it...[/quote]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

A note about 3-4 Ends.

There are several personnel variations of the 3-4.

The patriots are pretty much big everywhere. 300 lbs DLmen and 250+ linebackers.

But not the Chargers, not the Cowboys, not the Cardinals, not the Steelers, etc... 1 gaping 3-4 and 2 gaping 3-4.

I suspect Odom could could play the LDE spot in some varations. If we are going to look like Dallas' 3-4, he might be our Chris Canty.

A trend I see is long arms with height. You guys make WAY to big a deal out of 10-20 lbs. If the guy is stout and can disengage to a gap, or on a delayed blitz, he'll be fine.

We've had visits before. If the will is there...he can be had on Sunday.

I have to believe that the amount of the jack he wants has already been communicated. I also have to believe the soP "walk in the park" number has been shot back. The devil's in the details...and that is where we have seen so many FA's over the years come in and leave.

If Katie is doing this on Sunday...it might be done. Keep Dad out of the room.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='637088' date='Feb 29 2008, 04:48 PM']Between the Rogers deal and the Bengals actually attempting to talk to a solid upper tier free agent, I now know what total shock feels like. I'm impressed.[/quote]
I'm terrified that this may actually be the seventh seal being broken that the Book Of Revelations was talking about. I hear trumpets outside....OH NO!!!!!!

<<Rapture>>

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='637252' date='Feb 29 2008, 07:10 PM']A note about 3-4 Ends.

There are several personnel variations of the 3-4.

The patriots are pretty much big everywhere. 300 lbs DLmen and 250+ linebackers.

But not the Chargers, not the Cowboys, not the Cardinals, not the Steelers, etc... 1 gaping 3-4 and 2 gaping 3-4.

I suspect Odom could could play the LDE spot in some varations. If we are going to look like Dallas' 3-4, he might be our Chris Canty.

A trend I see is long arms with height. You guys make WAY to big a deal out of 10-20 lbs. If the guy is stout and can disengage to a gap, or on a delayed blitz, he'll be fine.[/quote]

I beg to differ on San Diego.

NT Jamal Williams (6-3, 348)
DE Igor Olshansky (6-6, 309)
DE Luis Castillo (6-3, 290)
OLB Shawne Merriman (6-4, 272)
OLB Shaun Phillips (6-3, 262)
ILB Stephen Cooper (6-1, 235)
ILB Matt Wilhelm (6-4, 245)

[quote name='Bunghole' post='637283' date='Feb 29 2008, 06:54 PM']I'm terrified that this may actually be the seventh seal being broken that the Book Of Revelations was talking about. I hear trumpets outside....OH NO!!!!!!

<<Rapture>>[/quote]
What are these trumpets you speak of, Gentile? I do hear the sound of fiddles coming from my roof...the end is neigh!!!!

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='637295' date='Feb 29 2008, 08:12 PM']I beg to differ on San Diego.

NT Jamal Williams (6-3, 348)
DE Igor Olshansky (6-6, 309)
DE Luis Castillo (6-3, 290)
OLB Shawne Merriman (6-4, 272)
OLB Shaun Phillips (6-3, 262)
ILB Stephen Cooper (6-1, 235)
ILB Matt Wilhelm (6-4, 245)[/quote]

Two things, by merely posting the weights you pay no attention to scheme, which is considerably different in the two cases. The Chargers are considerably more athletic, and use that ability in their scheme. The Patriots are far more instinctive and able to get off blocks. (On average). As well, the Chargers use a lot more blitzing combos.

Furthermore, the San Diego starters are considerably smaller on average.
When you account for the backups who also take snaps it becomes even more apparent.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='637539' date='Feb 29 2008, 10:46 PM']Two things, by merely posting the weights you pay no attention to scheme, which is considerably different in the two cases. The Chargers are considerably more athletic, and use that ability in their scheme. The Patriots are far more instinctive and able to get off blocks. (On average). As well, the Chargers use a lot more blitzing combos.

Furthermore, the San Diego starters are considerably smaller on average.
When you account for the backups who also take snaps it becomes even more apparent.[/quote]

You're wrong. Olshansky is the same size as Warren and Seymour. Jamal Williams is bigger than Vince Wilfork. Castillo is the only smaller guy. Further, SD has bigger outside linebackers than NE. Your point that SD somehow has a "small" 3-4 is completely false.

Archived