Antwan Odom To Visit Sunday

[quote name='TecmoBengal9' post='638676' date='Mar 2 2008, 05:13 PM']I agree, but there is a group of people who think if we don't sign Odom it is another sign that the Bengals are stupid, cheap, don't care etc... That's the group I'm aiming at.[/quote]

why was Odom not resigned by the Titans?

what do they know that we dont?

[quote name='globetrotter' post='638677' date='Mar 2 2008, 05:25 PM']why was Odom not resigned by the Titans?

what do they know that we dont?[/quote]

not everyone resigns all of their own FAs....just because they didnt resign him, yet anyways, doesnt mean he is no good.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='638677' date='Mar 2 2008, 05:25 PM']why was Odom not resigned by the Titans?

what do they know that we dont?[/quote]

Probably the same things we know about Madieu Williams and Justin Smith - they're good players that can make more money some place else. Odom was the second best pass rushing end on the team last year. He wants to be paid like THE best pass rusher some place else. Guess what. Somebody will. I hope it's the Bengals.

[quote name='Big Alice' post='638680' date='Mar 2 2008, 05:32 PM']Probably the same things we know about Madieu Williams and Justin Smith - they're good players that can make more money some place else. Odom was the second best pass rushing end on the team last year. He wants to be paid like THE best pass rusher some place else. Guess what. Somebody will. I hope it's the Bengals.[/quote]

Amen BA... amen.

[quote name='unleashed' post='638532' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:58 PM']That's probably where our money goes....Mike Brown has to pay off other teams to say they fucked up when he can't figure out the paperwork for a trade.[/quote]

does that pay-off count aganist this years cap?

One thing worries me about Odom...

His production went up last year because he was switched from RDE to LDE (swapped with Van Den Bosch). Suddenly his sack totals went up.

But wait...read between the lines...

how much of it was due to to him being on the opposite end to Haynesworth (RDT) and Van Den Bosch (RDE). Reading a Titans message board the other day, they were talking about this and seemed to think this was definitely a factor as opponents were focusing their protection packages on Haynesworth and Van Den Bosch most of the time.

If we sign him and stay 4-3, then we need to get a damn good DT next to Geathers on the right side of the line to open things up for him.

Is Odom the type of game changing end that can wreak havoc without having quality players next to him? Could he wreak the same havoc if he was the sole focus of an offense's attention? His he really that good?

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='638688' date='Mar 2 2008, 05:49 PM']One thing worries me about Odom...

His production went up last year because he was switched from RDE to LDE (swapped with Van Den Bosch). Suddenly his sack totals went up.

But wait...read between the lines...

how much of it was due to to him being on the opposite end to Haynesworth (RDT) and Van Den Bosch (RDE). Reading a Titans message board the other day, they were talking about this and seemed to think this was definitely a factor as opponents were focusing their protection packages on Haynesworth and Van Den Bosch most of the time.

If we sign him and stay 4-3, then we need to get a damn good DT next to Geathers on the right side of the line to open things up for him.

Is Odom the type of game changing end that can wreak havoc without having other quality players next to him?[/quote]

good points. I'd say though that 8 sacks as a backup is pretty good.

Also, I think most of us can agree that even if Odom is signed, the DT position still needs some upgrading or it won't matter who our DE's are.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='638495' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:04 PM']antwan odom had a total of 21 tackles in 16 games as a starter albeit in a rotational role as a pass rusher... He had a career high 8 sacks for a grand total of 12.5 during his tenure with the Titans..

WTF is all the hype for???? Going to OVERPAY for a player that hasnt really proven shit yet......
What am I missing here??
Is this just desperation to sign A PLAYER thats a FREE AGENT?[/quote]

A pile of crap could be listed as a FA, and people would treat it like it was Lawerence Taylor. It's more about having action than anything else.

[quote name='scharm' post='638763' date='Mar 2 2008, 09:33 PM']A pile of crap could be listed as a FA, and people would treat it like it was Lawerence Taylor. It's more about having action than anything else.[/quote]

I hear that...I'm terrified at the prospect of paying $5M per to a role that could be served by a 2nd rounder.

What I want to know is: What do people think Odom is really worth?

It'll be interesting to compare it to the contract he ends up with.

BZ

[quote name='TheBZ' post='638771' date='Mar 2 2008, 09:39 PM']I hear that...I'm terrified at the prospect of paying $5M per to a role that could be served by a 2nd rounder.

What I want to know is: What do people think Odom is really worth?

It'll be interesting to compare it to the contract he ends up with.

BZ[/quote]

I'm terrified that the same D-line will be used next year except for rookies... whom rarely make a huge impact.

Odom looks to be an upgrade over what we have currently. He had as many sacks by himself as our whole D-line did.
He also did it as a role player. There is the argument that Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch were the reason that happened, but if I had to choose between the armchair coaches on here or Lewis/Zimmer's opinion, I think it's a no-brainer who to believe.
Hint: The ones I believe don't post here!

I also hope we get Robertson, better than what we currently have and then I hope we get Dorsey or Ellis in the draft for future development.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638833' date='Mar 2 2008, 11:52 PM']i was at the stadium today, there was a handful of people there at least pretending to be doing something important... but i didnt recognize anyone...no players....

after typing this i realize its boring and pointless...

nevermind...[/quote]

Compared to Hobson, that's GOLD !

:ninja:

It's a good question, how much should we offer Odom? I'll say 5 years, 35 mil but backloaded with only 9 or 10 mil guaranteed. We could trade for Robertson for probably a 5th rounder, then hopefully draft Ellis or Dorsey at 9. That would let us cut Thornton and our cap situation would still be pretty good, even better if we redo Robertson's deal.

[quote name='sparky151' post='638858' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:01 AM']It's a good question, how much should we offer Odom? I'll say 5 years, 35 mil but backloaded with only 9 or 10 mil guaranteed. We could trade for Robertson for probably a 5th rounder, then hopefully draft Ellis or Dorsey at 9. That would let us cut Thornton and our cap situation would still be pretty good, even better if we redo Robertson's deal.[/quote]

frankly i think a 1st or 2nd round guy could be as good as odom, perhaps not week 1-8, but at 1/10th the price it seems like a deal.. no way i offer 7 mil a year...and we arent much for backloading, which players should appreciate, but agents have then slobbering over the publicity of a 500 trillion dollar deal instead of money they may actually see..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638861' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:03 AM']frankly i think a 1st or 2nd round guy could be as good as odom, perhaps not week 1-8, but at 1/10th the price it seems like a deal.. no way i offer 7 mil a year...and we arent much for backloading, which players should appreciate, but agents have then slobbering over the publicity of a 500 trillion dollar deal instead of money they may actually see..[/quote]

Yes, there are players in the draft who will eventually be better than Odom. But adding a free agent is like getting extra draft picks as long as you have cap space. The Bengals are bad at contract structuring, but there's no reason they can't join the 21st century. Suppose we gave Odom an 8 Mil signing bonus, prorated over 5 years plus annual salaries of 2,4,6,7,8 mil with the first year guaranteed. His first year cap number is 3.6 mil which is less than Thornton's. If he plays well, we could keep him all 5 years, if he busts, we could release him after a couple or 3 years without too much pain.

[quote name='sparky151' post='638866' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:16 AM']Yes, there are players in the draft who will eventually be better than Odom. But adding a free agent is like getting extra draft picks as long as you have cap space. The Bengals are bad at contract structuring, but there's no reason they can't join the 21st century. Suppose we gave Odom an 8 Mil signing bonus, prorated over 5 years plus annual salaries of 2,4,6,7,8 mil with the first year guaranteed. His first year cap number is 3.6 mil which is less than Thornton's. If he plays well, we could keep him all 5 years, if he busts, we could release him after a couple or 3 years without too much pain.[/quote]

Excatly, sign odom and if we draft a DE in the first couple rounds give him some time and eventually if he beats out Odom we can let the draft pick start and then figure out what to do with odom after that. I would rather have Odom starting at DE then Rucker or someone else.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638833' date='Mar 2 2008, 08:52 PM']i was at the stadium today, there was a handful of people there at least pretending to be doing something important... but i didnt recognize anyone...no players....

after typing this i realize its boring and pointless...

nevermind...[/quote]

All you need are a title with a pun and it [b]IS[/b] Hobson

[quote name='oldschooler' post='638933' date='Mar 3 2008, 08:32 AM']The reason there has been no news so far, is because
Odom is still in town. He was scheduled to meet with
the team on Sunday AND Monday . . .[/quote]

Yep. He's still in town and they are talking numbers. Could hear something later today.

[quote name='bengalfanatl' post='638936' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:33 AM']thanks for that old? what is your thought is he going to sign or go because you know if he leaves, he is only coming back when his new team is playing the bengals[/quote]

I think the Bengals will do everything they can to sign him.
He is obviously interested, that's why he is here.

But like you said, if he leaves town without a deal,
it`s over for the Bengals.

I'm hoping they trade for Robertson and sign Odom.

*prays*

[quote name='oldschooler' post='638942' date='Mar 3 2008, 08:45 AM']I think the Bengals will do everything they can to sign him.

*prays*[/quote]
[b]I am praying we get the both of them done today. That will make all of us Bengals fans pretty happy I think..[/b]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='638942' date='Mar 3 2008, 08:45 AM']I think the Bengals will do everything they can to sign him.

*prays*[/quote]

add Utecht to that and I am satisfied for the free agency period....

Archived