*General REDS discussion*

bgwilly31

[quote name='Jason' post='676479' date='Jun 30 2008, 09:40 PM']What the fuck was Dusty thinking in the bottom of the 8th? Two of your best base runners on, and a guy, your #5 hitter. without a sac bunt in 2+ years up, and he's bunting???

Double steal and let Votto hit.

Why can't we beat the fucking Pirates?

:steamed: :steamed: :steamed:[/quote]

We did beat the Pirates :D

[quote]When he saw he was out of the starting lineup, Griffey playfully asked Darren Baker — son of manager Dusty — why he was out of the lineup. The 9-year-old responded, [b]"You can't hit lefties, and you're old!"[/b][/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Jason' post='676479' date='Jun 30 2008, 08:40 PM']What the fuck was Dusty thinking in the bottom of the 8th? Two of your best base runners on, and a guy, your #5 hitter. without a sac bunt in 2+ years up, and he's bunting???

Its a 100% everytime bunting situation.

Didnt we go over this earlier in the season with EE>

thurman and others were trying to say the same thing.

Better yet how about yelling at dusty to teach this fucking team how to bunt. Votto looked a an off the bench freshman in highschool trying to sac bunt. Thats pathetic for a professional ball player. And if votto is the kind of guy i think he is. Next time Votto going to makeis asked to bunt he is sure he doesnt get embarrassed like that again.
I wish i could say the same for EE>

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='676573' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:01 AM']Its a 100% everytime bunting situation.

Better yet how about yelling at dusty to teach this fucking team how to bunt. Votto looked a an off the bench freshman in highschool trying to sac bunt. Thats pathetic for a professional ball player. And if votto is the kind of guy i think he is. Next time Votto going to makeis asked to bunt he is sure he doesnt get embarrassed like that again.
[b]I wish i could say the same for EE>[/b][/quote]

Indeed; Edwin never improves. The outstanding defensive plays he's been making with regularity for about the past two months are just a fluke. And the fact that he since last year he's been putting himself through extra infield practice? A coincidence!

EE will never improve.

:ninja:

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='676573' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:01 PM']Its a 100% everytime bunting situation.

I wish i could say the same for EE>[/quote]

I still think if ever there was a situation that called for a double steal, that was it. Especially knowing Votto sucks at bunting. Does he need to learn? Yes. But, since he was obviously a fish out of water, you play to the strength of the situation.

[quote name='Jason' post='676479' date='Jun 30 2008, 08:40 PM']What the fuck was Dusty thinking in the bottom of the 8th? Two of your best base runners on, and a guy, your #5 hitter. without a sac bunt in 2+ years up, and he's bunting???

The stats point towards bunting in that situation... Two GREAT baserunners... put the tying run on third with 1 out... winning run on second... avoid a possible double play... avoid striking out and leaving the bases the same with 1 or 2 outs... Bunt was the right call...

Don't blame it on Dusty... I bet he could have done a better job of bunting than votto did... I LOVE votto, but he needs to work on bunting for sure... we needed him there, and he got lucky to get pulled out of it by grif...

[quote name='Jason' post='676587' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:10 PM']I still think if ever there was a situation that called for a double steal, that was it. Especially knowing Votto sucks at bunting. Does he need to learn? Yes. But, since he was obviously a fish out of water, you play to the strength of the situation.[/quote]

but if you steal and one gets caught, you just wasted having the winning run on base... whereas bunting puts two in scoring position...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='676600' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:01 PM']but if you steal and one gets caught, you just wasted having the winning run on base... whereas bunting puts two in scoring position...[/quote]

Then send someone to the plate who has a clue when it comes to bunting.

Yes, if the guy at the plate is an adequate bunter, you bunt. Votto was not. Play to the strength of the situation. Even if one guy gets thrown out, you still have the tying run in scoring position, the double play is gone, and you can let Votto hit. Which he does MUCH better than he bunts.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='676579' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:15 AM']Indeed; Edwin never improves. The outstanding defensive plays he's been making with regularity for about the past two months are just a fluke. And the fact that he since last year he's been putting himself through extra infield practice? A coincidence!

EE will never improve.

:ninja:[/quote]

try to stay on topic. I know its hard. But really really try. ...

[quote name='bengalrick' post='676599' date='Jul 1 2008, 12:59 PM']The stats point towards bunting in that situation... Two GREAT baserunners... put the tying run on third with 1 out... winning run on second... avoid a possible double play... avoid striking out and leaving the bases the same with 1 or 2 outs... Bunt was the right call...

Don't blame it on Dusty... I bet he could have done a better job of bunting than votto did... I LOVE votto, but he needs to work on bunting for sure... we needed him there, and he got lucky to get pulled out of it by grif...[/quote]

Exactly right. Someone that actually understands the game.

[quote name='Jason' post='676601' date='Jul 1 2008, 01:04 PM']Then send someone to the plate who has a clue when it comes to bunting.

Yes, if the guy at the plate is an adequate bunter, you bunt. Votto was not. Play to the strength of the situation. Even if one guy gets thrown out, you still have the tying run in scoring position, the double play is gone, and you can let Votto hit. Which he does MUCH better than he bunts.[/quote]

Taking votto (a proffessional ball player) out because he cant bunt is even more embarrassing for both parties. Votto and Dusty. That would not happen and shouldnt happen because one Votto should know how to bunt already without dusty coaching him. And two dusty if known that votto cant bunt SHOULD have coached him back in spring training and handled this situatiuon. Samething with EE.

This whole thing reminds me of the movie MAJOR LEAGUE II.

When the catcher is a great catcher but has a problem with throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

Shit even that movie got it right. They fixed it in spring training. They didnt wait until the all-star break or never.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='676602' date='Jul 1 2008, 01:19 PM']try to stay on topic. I know its hard. But really really try. ...[/quote]

Your post accused Edwin of not trying to improve his game. I offered evidence to the contrary. And that's off topic?

Even if it was, this thread is called "General Reds Discussion." You are more than welcome to post "The Bunting Thread" or "Game Thread: 6.30.08," but until then, STFU.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='676573' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:01 AM']Its a 100% everytime bunting situation.

[b]I wish i could say the same for EE>[/b][/quote]

i wish you died or went to oz and got a brain.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='676579' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:15 AM']Indeed; Edwin never improves. The outstanding defensive plays he's been making with regularity for about the past two months are just a fluke. And the fact that he since last year he's been putting himself through extra infield practice? A coincidence!

EE will never improve.

:ninja:[/quote]

i know seriously. not to mention he is young as hell and is going to be a beast. i guess walt jockety didnt know what he was talking about when he said EE was someone he wouldnt listen to offers for. funny how one backs dusty bakers opinion and then walt jockety who has quite a strong history of success doesnt know anything about EE cuz EE sucks according to willy lover.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='676609' date='Jul 1 2008, 01:57 PM']EE sucks according to willy lover.[/quote]

never said he sucks.

He makes great defensive plays. Makes some bonehead defensive plays a little more than he should as well.

And so far his hitting and especially his only bread and butter. hitting with RISP avg is definitely dissapointing this year. He's in his 4th season of the MLB. He's not getting any younger.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='676602' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:19 PM']Taking votto (a proffessional ball player) out because he cant bunt is even more embarrassing for both parties. Votto and Dusty. That would not happen and shouldnt happen because one Votto should know how to bunt already without dusty coaching him. And two dusty if known that votto cant bunt SHOULD have coached him back in spring training and handled this situatiuon. Samething with EE.

This whole thing reminds me of the movie MAJOR LEAGUE II.

When the catcher is a great catcher but has a problem with throwing the ball back to the pitcher.

Shit even that movie got it right. They fixed it in spring training. They didnt wait until the all-star break or never.[/quote]
I won't argue with any of that. It's all true. But it does not change the fact that [b]last night[/b] it was not the right move because he is such a terrible bunter.

[quote name='Jason' post='676614' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:31 PM']I won't argue with any of that. It's all true. But it does not change the fact that [b]last night[/b] it was not the right move because he is such a terrible bunter.[/quote]

your wrong about the FACT part.
It was a bunting situation and no matter how bad of a bunter you may be. Your still a pro and bunting is so easy you still should have a much better avg. of getting a bunt down than you would getting a hit.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='676619' date='Jul 1 2008, 04:37 PM']your wrong about the FACT part.
It was a bunting situation and no matter how bad of a bunter you may be. Your still a pro and bunting is so easy you still should have a much better avg. of getting a bunt down than you would getting a hit.[/quote]

Well, the outcome of the situation would indicate otherwise. Especially as bad as he looked on the first attempt.

Archived