The Draft Review

Each year right before the draft, I chat with as many NFL players, personnel, scouts, coaches, media, whatever … as a I possibly can to get an outlook on who the Bengals are likely to select and which players will make an impact in the NFL.

I do the same after the draft in the most part to see how it affected Cincinnati and the rest of the AFC North.

I can tell you - all bias aside - that without a doubt, I have never been happier with a draft class in a very long time.

1) Keith Rivers - I knew the Bengals had him high on the board, but I also was aware that they had Sedrick Ellis higher (but not as much of a difference as many of you would think). So when I saw that the Bengals had to go with Rivers, I must admit I was a little disappointed. Although I knew the kid would and will be a stud, I am a firm believer in the concept that the defensive line really makes the biggest difference in the NFL. If you can get pressure from your front four without having to blitz, you have an extreme edge on the competition. But after knowing the rest of our draft, I think it's a blessing in disguise that Ellis and Harvey went before our selection. Rivers will be nasty at LB for seasons to come and when you consider that a trio of Rivers, Brooks and Thurman could form (if the stars align), LB could go from being our weakest position to one of our strongest.

2) Jerome Simpson -- If you seriously want to know which of your local Cincinnati beat writers have inside information, look no further than this pick. If a writer was surprised, shocked or upset that they took this kid, than they don't really know anyone within the organization outside of a towel boy. It was no secret that the Bengals were high on him, and a lot of people knew he would go to them in the second round. Some people call this a reach, but I have confirmed that at least two other organizations would have taken him before the Bengals selected in round three. By now, you've all heard about the hands. He's also got speed and a great head on his shoulders

3a) Pat Sims - Couldn't have been happier when I saw this selection in round three. I was at both days of the draft in New York City and between running around and talking to people, I didn't even know he was still on the board. There were analysts and former personnel directors that had him as the third highest DT in the entire draft. He'll give you a lot and should be past any life issues that held back in the past.

3b) Andre Caldwell -- This pick is all about speed and versatility. Caldwell gives you both. At the draft, I overheard some one say he was the second fastest receiver in the draft (didn't confirm that yet). No one believes this player has come close to hitting his ceiling yet and he gives Bratkowski the ability to throw some more tricks into his playbook.

4) Anthony Collins -- To tell you the truth, I was hoping for a different O-line player here (the guy I wanted had a troubled past), so when I went to my sources and told them that I was a little disappointed, I was met with the reaction of "What?!!" Apparently he was a great choice according to several people and there were a number of coaches within other teams who were hoping to get him before the Bengals went in the fourth. (Just because a coach wants a player, doesn't mean the team will select him. Often within draft rooms, there are arguments and division on which player a team should take and a few coaches lost out on him. I know in one case, it was because that team had just addressed the O-line and they weren't willing to do it again that early.)

5) Jason Shirley -- This pick sealed the amazing draft for me. For some reason, I am anamored with physical freaks who've had problems in their lives. It's why Chris Henry was probably deep down my second or third favorite player on the Bengals. I love the badass, especially one who has all the talent in the world. Some of the people I talked to say he'll end up off the team in a few years. Other think he'll be a bad influence on Thurman (or visa versa since Cincinnati is a small city and players usually end up rolling together in some fashion). They also think we don't have the kind of lockerroom at this stage in our franchise to turn him around. Regardless, I think it was tremendous value in round five, which is the stage where you do take a risk (not in round 2 or 3, which can really burn you as we've all seen). If Zimmer, Marvin and the rest of the staff/players can get in his head, he'll be unbelievable. The combo of Sims and him in three years, along with first round corners and the possible LB crew, could put Palmer in an amazing position. I can only imagine what he would be like if the other team had a few three in outs in a row, and he was able to fully tire and wear out defenses by the late third. His numbers would be godly.

After that to tell you the truth, I stopped asking questions and gathering information. I don't want to run the well dry asking about sixth and seventh round players. I don't know anything about him, but a few people volunteered info on the Villanova TE, saying he's got great speed and could really turn out to be a steal with a lot of work.

That's what I got. I know it's long and some of you probably don't care. But, I figured I do my best to share everything I could with all of you.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='661210' date='Apr 29 2008, 06:01 PM'][color="#FF0000"]dan - kickass info. I know some folks here do not realize how connected you are but I do and I appreciate your opinon and those who you have talked to. [/color]

Go-Bengals.com rocks!!!!!!!![/quote]

ditto

Good stuff Dan.

Thanks a bunch, Dan...It is appreciated!!

I know that personally I have a great feeling about the upside of Simpson, Caldwell, Sims and Lynch. But if Rivers can hold up under the scrutiny and become a productive leader from the beginnign, it will really make a huge difference.

BZ

Archived