Bengals cracking down on unruly fans

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals want fans on best behavior[/b][/size]
[size=5][b]Conduct rules expanded to team-controlled lots[/b][/size]
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • August 14, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - The Bengals expanded their two-year-old fan conduct policy Wednesday to include behavior outside the stadium as well as inside.

The change to enforce the code on club-controlled parking lots adjacent to Paul Brown Stadium is in keeping with the new NFL policy that addresses fan conduct on game days around the league.

The enhanced code of conduct is intended to address unruly fan behavior that detracts from the game day experience, the Bengals said in a press release. Any fan, whether in the stadium or the club-controlled parking lots, risks penalties by violating the code's provisions. Penalties include ejection without refund, loss of parking passes and/or loss of season tickets.

A person does not need a game ticket to attend a pre-game tailgate event in a club-controlled parking lot, the Bengals said Wednesday.

The parking areas controlled by the club for game days are Lots 1, A, B, C, D, E, PBS East (U) and the Freedom Center. Other lots around the stadium develop their own conduct policies.

New this season is a text-messaging feature. Fans can text as well as call the Bengals' 381-JERK hot line to reach game-day security. The hot line will be staffed during the entire time the stadium is open for a Bengals game.

"We believe we've been a little ahead of the curve in addressing fan behavior issues," said Bob Bedinghaus, the Bengals' director of business development. "In 2006, we had excellent response to the 381-JERK hot line and to the beefing up of police patrols in our parking lots.

"While we have not had major issues inside the stadium, unruly behavior has been on an upswing across the league, and we are going to do our part to ensure that fans feel safe and have an enjoyable experience."

[b]The Bengals' updated code of conduct:[/b]

The Cincinnati Bengals have established a "Fan Code of Conduct" for all of our season ticket-holders, their guests and other fans who attend our games. We are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for all of our fans, both in the stadium and in the parking lots we control around the stadium.

The following behavior is prohibited in the stadium and in the parking lots listed above:

Interference with the progress of the game (including throwing objects onto the field).

Intoxication or other signs of impairment related to alcohol consumption that result in rude or irresponsible behavior.

Behavior that is unruly, disruptive, or illegal in nature.

Fighting, taunting or threatening remarks or gestures.

Foul or abusive language or gestures.

Sitting in a location other than the guest's ticketed seat.

Standing, sitting or loitering in aisles.

Standing on seats or chairs.

Smoking in any area of Paul Brown Stadium.

Displays of affection not appropriate in a public setting.

Public indecency.

Possession and/or use of illegal drugs or firearms.

Obscene, indecent or offensive clothing.

Failing to comply with instructions from ushers, parking attendants, security or law enforcement.

All season ticket-holders and parking pass-holders are responsible for their conduct, as well as for the conduct of guests using their tickets or parking passes. Violations, by either the ticket/pass holders or their designee(s), may result in ejection from the stadium or parking lot, and their season tickets, parking privileges and/or Charter Ownership Agreements are subject to revocation without refund.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080814/SPT02/808140354/1066/rss07"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0354/1066/rss07[/url]

Still gay

I heard sloan say yesterday a comment that I agree with. This is football, some adults like to get a little roudy and let off some steam. Now thry make it more restricted. I dont want to see fights or anything, and have never been involved in any altercation, but I also dont want to go to a football game that is no different than sitting in church.

Take a cue from baseball, Have one section an alcohol free family area. People with kids can get their season tickets there, and the rest of us can have fun. I dont want some tool calling the jerk line if I drop the f bomb after a bad play.

<_<

At least they have specified the rule against staning as standing in the isles and [b]on[/b] chairs...

Also, don't they have smoking areas? Are they really going to discipline fans for smoking "[b]anywhere[/b] in Paul Brown Stadium"?

[quote name='slim15' post='687539' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:31 PM']Still gay

I heard sloan say yesterday a comment that I agree with. This is football, some adults like to get a little roudy and let off some steam. Now thry make it more restricted. I dont want to see fights or anything, and have never been involved in any altercation, but I also dont want to go to a football game that is no different than sitting in church.

Take a cue from baseball, Have one section an alcohol free family area. People with kids can get their season tickets there, and the rest of us can have fun. I dont want some tool calling the jerk line if I drop the f bomb after a bad play.

<_<[/quote]

There was a time (not that long ago) when "dropping an f-bomb" was considered socially unacceptable in general, and completely taboo in front of women and children...

As someone who frequently drops F-bombs, I have a hard time standing up for someones "right" to do it freely in a public place. I love me some titties too, but I don't think I should be allowed to grope them in public either..

Is it really too much to ask for some appropriate restraint of behavior in public? Have we digressed so much as a society that we can't bear the thought of reigning in vulgar and crude actions in front of others?

Besides, I [b]highly[/b] doubt anyone will get kicked out for an occasional, incidental f-bomb during a particularly intense moment..

[quote name='oldschooler' post='687473' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:35 AM'][/quote]

I want to see how this will affect or be enforced on the Piggshitburgh fans when they come down.
I have never seen a more obnoxious pack of subhuman knuckle dragging inbred troglodyte deviant perverts
in my life, all drunk and all looking for a fight. I apologize for being too kind in my description.
The degree of vulgarity and total assholic behavior is unbelievable.
Their Aunt Mommies must be proud of them and the day the Steeler fans were conceived in a gang bang
on a bumper pool table in Stoshs Korner Tavern at the entrance to the trailer park.

Pittsburgh game day occurrences I have witnessed include:

The 'Arn Sitty beer trucks pulling on to the Plaza Level at old Riverfront/Cinergy and bottles of
'Arn Sitty beer being put in every outstretched hand walking past the truck.

Squeel fans so freakin' drunk they were carried [b]in[/b] to the game.

And a personal highlight... at Riverfront/Cinergy after one game, a couple of extremely loud, obnoxious
and vulgar Squeel fans were full tilt tits to the wall drunken horse's asses.
A couple of Bengal fans on one of the ramps above them had apparently prepared for such a happening
by filling a beer cup with urine from numerous volunteer donors in the rest room and unleashed it with
laser precise, pin point accuracy on the Squeel fans and, indeed, giving them something practical
to do with their terrible towels, namely, wiping Bengal tiger piss out of their slack jawed moon faces.
The cheer that went up from the surrounding Bengal faithful rivaled anything I heard inside the stadium.

I hate Squeel fans.

[quote name='Lucid' post='687544' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:40 AM']There was a time (not that long ago) when "dropping an f-bomb" was considered socially unacceptable in general, and completely taboo in front of women and children...

As someone who frequently drops F-bombs, I have a hard time standing up for someones "right" to do it freely in a public place. I love me some titties too, but I don't think I should be allowed to grope them in public either..

Is it really too much to ask for some appropriate restraint of behavior in public? Have we digressed so much as a society that we can't bear the thought of reigning in vulgar and crude actions in front of others?

Besides, I [b]highly[/b] doubt anyone will get kicked out for an occasional, incidental f-bomb during a particularly intense moment..[/quote]

no one is gonna get booted over the appropriately placed "FUCK" during a bad call or interception
or whatever. As a connossuer and frequent practicioner of the word "FUCK" and all its forms and conjugations, I can certainly appreciate it during a game. However, I think what they're going after is the jackasses who go on minute-long tirades filled with various profanities. Not the guy who sees Dexter Jackson get toasted (again!) and yells.... SUCK MY BALLS MR GARISSON.

[quote name='The Ghost of Chucky B.' post='687563' date='Aug 14 2008, 01:27 PM']no one is gonna get booted over the appropriately placed "FUCK" during a bad call or interception
or whatever. As a connossuer and frequent practicioner of the word "FUCK" and all its forms and conjugations, I can certainly appreciate it during a game. However, I think what they're going after is the jackasses who go on minute-long tirades filled with various profanities. Not the guy who sees Dexter Jackson get toasted (again!) and yells.... SUCK MY BALLS MR GARISSON.[/quote]

Agreed... And as far as I fucking know, a PBS employee needs to fucking witness the event (or receive multiple corraborative fucking eye witness complaints) before they could do jack shit about it.

IMO, if you get fucking booted for shitty fucking language you probably fucking deserved it.

B)

[quote name='Lucid' post='687544' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:40 AM']There was a time (not that long ago) when "dropping an f-bomb" was considered socially unacceptable in general, and completely taboo in front of women and children...

Besides, I [b]highly[/b] doubt anyone will get kicked out for an occasional, incidental f-bomb during a particularly intense moment..[/quote]

I'm staying. I'm finishing my coffee. Enjoying...my...coffee.

[quote name='slim15' post='687539' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:31 PM']Still gay

<_<[/quote]

how is it you cant distinguish between church and being so out of control and ruining an expensive event for many others enough to get booted from the stadium as being the only options for behavior? if this is truely the only options for you, this rule is probably for you, and ill be glad when you cant come to games anymore.

[quote name='Lucid' post='687540' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:34 PM']At least they have specified the rule against staning as standing in the isles and [b]on[/b] chairs...

Also, don't they have smoking areas? Are they really going to discipline fans for smoking "[b]anywhere[/b] in Paul Brown Stadium"?[/quote]

people get away with smoking by the big open gate area, as obviously they cant leave.. they may still have a smoking area somewhere, but i dont think so, no one gets hassled by the big open gates tho.

[quote name='Lucid' post='687544' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:40 PM']There was a time (not that long ago) when "dropping an f-bomb" was considered socially unacceptable in general, and completely taboo in front of women and children...

yea, they dont much care about cursing, the point is not disrupting others enjoyment of the game, im yet to ever... EVER see anyone acting a fool who wasnt on the edge of toppling over from too much drinking.. if it werent for 20% of their profits coming from alcohol this "problem" would have an easy fix.. trying to somehow find the medium between losing millions per game in alcohol sales and not pissing off the fans who spend the big dollars on the good seats. isnt going to be easy..

seems most fans spend around $100-120 per game.. some spend $80 on ticket and $20 on food, some spend $65 a ticket and $55 on alcohol.

[quote name='jmckbengal' post='687618' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:18 PM']I guess what bothers me is that you give the "mikey Boy" rent a cope a little power, they will overreact.[/quote]

"rent a cope" huh?

Shit, I could use some of that on occasion.

[quote name='High School Harry' post='687551' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:55 PM']And a personal highlight... at Riverfront/Cinergy after one game, a couple of extremely loud, obnoxious
and vulgar Squeel fans were full tilt tits to the wall drunken horse's asses.
A couple of Bengal fans on one of the ramps above them had apparently prepared for such a happening
by filling a beer cup with urine from numerous volunteer donors in the rest room and unleashed it with
laser precise, pin point accuracy on the Squeel fans and, indeed, giving them something practical
to do with their terrible towels, namely, wiping Bengal tiger piss out of their slack jawed moon faces.
The cheer that went up from the surrounding Bengal faithful rivaled anything I heard inside the stadium.

I hate Squeel fans.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='687591' date='Aug 14 2008, 01:20 PM']how is it you cant distinguish between church and being so out of control and ruining an expensive event for many others enough to get booted from the stadium as being the only options for behavior? if this is truely the only options for you, this rule is probably for you, and ill be glad when you cant come to games anymore.

people get away with smoking by the big open gate area, as obviously they cant leave.. they may still have a smoking area somewhere, but i dont think so, no one gets hassled by the big open gates tho.

yea, they dont much care about cursing, the point is not disrupting others enjoyment of the game, im yet to ever... EVER see anyone acting a fool who wasnt on the edge of toppling over from too much drinking.. if it werent for 20% of their profits coming from alcohol this "problem" would have an easy fix.. trying to somehow find the medium between losing millions per game in alcohol sales and not pissing off the fans who spend the big dollars on the good seats. isnt going to be easy..

seems most fans spend around $100-120 per game.. some spend $80 on ticket and $20 on food, some spend $65 a ticket and $55 on alcohol.[/quote]

damn Go, all the hits on me.

What I am saying is this...I dont like the jerk line stuff to begin with. I have seen things taken to the extreem, where people will abuse it, call on other teams fans that are not doing anything, etc. What I am saying, is all it takes is some guy to call a line say YOU said the f bomb 100 times in front of his kid and are gone. I know u are smarter than ur post soill let u rebut. If someone didnt like u it wouldnt be hard for them to randomly call the jerk line about u over and over and make a complaint. If nothing else its gonna cause some problems for you.

I dont drink, so this isnt a issue for me, but I am concerned because I have personaly seen the jerk line misused.

think about it

[quote name='slim15' post='687675' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:01 PM']damn Go, all the hits on me.

What I am saying is this...I dont like the jerk line stuff to begin with. I have seen things taken to the extreem, where people will abuse it, call on other teams fans that are not doing anything, etc. What I am saying, is all it takes is some guy to call a line say YOU said the f bomb 100 times in front of his kid and are gone. I know u are smarter than ur post soill let u rebut. If someone didnt like u it wouldnt be hard for them to randomly call the jerk line about u over and over and make a complaint. If nothing else its gonna cause some problems for you.

I dont drink, so this isnt a issue for me, but I am concerned because I have personaly seen the jerk line misused.

think about it[/quote]

then why don't you use the jerk line on the assholes misusing it? Seems to me that the ones who misuse it are part of the type of fans its meant to stop.

If you don't bother to step up and defend the "mistreated" fans, you really have no claim to bitch about it.

[quote name='slim15' post='687675' date='Aug 14 2008, 08:01 PM']damn Go, all the hits on me.

think about it[/quote]
I think you missed Go's point. There is a balance here and you were quoting that it was trying to be resolved in the extreme, i.e. the church comment. There's a big difference between a prison riot and church, and all the NFL is doing is trying to do is push a little farther away from a prison riot.

I see nothing wrong with trying to get the pendulum to swing a little more towards civility. NFL games have gotten to the point where fans, who wouldn't act a certain way in any other scenario, are totally out of control and it was becoming the norm. Somebody that's so drunk/stoned/whatever that he can't function in a socially responsible way should be unacceptable. Fans should be happy that the city doesn't enforce the open container law...it's a tailgating privilege, and even an exception to the law, not a civil right.

I hear your point about the jerk line being misused, but hopefully it's the minority and is better for the fans as a whole. If there are flagrant misuses then tweaks need to be made, i.e. like if your report is bogus, then your ass gets thrown out. I bet if you've been to many games, you've seen many more instances of totally out of control drunks (I don't mean a guy that's just had one too many either) then misuses of the jerk line. Most people don't want to spend $100-200 to go the game only to have it ruined by somebody that is constantly and agonizingly annoying and then throws up on your shoes, and then wants to beat your ass because he thinks it your fault that he can't act socially responsible. It's never going to be perfect with such divergent interests, so all you can hope for is to put things in place to help swing the pendulum back towards the middle somewhere.

Okay, I feel better now, thanks for the therapy. :)

I don't like the ramifications of the JERK line or this nazi policing of tailgating, but if people are getting too drunk to speak before games...then they shouldn't be let into the stadium. That goes for home fans and visiting fans. People can get a great buzz going, go and enjoy the game, but not be a complete idiot about it.

Guys like me and BB, practiced alcoholics that we are, are likely to see no changes in terms of our game experiences. At least until the third quarter when we're losing to Pittsburgh...then all bets are off and no family is safe.

[quote name='slim15' post='687675' date='Aug 14 2008, 08:01 PM']damn Go, all the hits on me.

think about it[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't kick someone out of a game just on the word of one fan... They have to see you do it.. Or have multiple complaints from people around you. The tv report on it I saw said they use the jerk line in conjunction with ushers and cameras to locate deviant behavior.

They aren't stupid. They understand the possible scenario you have laid out.

[quote name='Lucid' post='687691' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:18 PM']I'm pretty sure they wouldn't kick someone out of a game just on the word of one fan... They have to see you do it.. Or have multiple complaints from people around you. The tv report on it I saw said they use the jerk line in conjunction with ushers and cameras to locate deviant behavior.

They aren't stupid. They understand the possible scenario you have laid out.[/quote]

yea they have cameras all over, they get a call and go back and look at video.. they can see anact nd even read lips, etc..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='687702' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:37 PM']yea they have cameras all over, they get a call and go back and look at video.. they can see anact nd even read lips, etc..[/quote]
I've heard their satellite imagery is such that they can detect a Steelers program rolled up under your armpit...

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='687735' date='Aug 15 2008, 10:35 PM']Be happy you're not in the UK. Over there, they no longer sell [u]any [/u]alcoholic beverages in the stadiums during Soccer matches. [b] That's pretty much taken care of the 'British Soccer Hooligan' problem[/b].[/quote]
yeah, right. like those guys aren't in the pub having pints with breakfast on the mornings before the games.

trust me, i know. ;)

Weatherspoons breakfast... 2 eggs, 2 bacon, hashbrowns, baked beans (don't ask) roasted tomato and mushroom for 2 quid. That and a few pints is a great way to start game day. :)

Archived