Rumor from Bengals Line

Posted by icehole3

Bengals Line Rumor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listened last night to Bengals Line and Lapham said there is a rumor going around at Paul Brown that with the seat licenses coming up Mike Brown will buy out Marvin's last year and then do a total clean sweep of the coaches. Said that Zimmer and Fitzgerald would still be under contract (didnt know this, he didnt have to pay those two this year because of their previous contracts with ATL and BALT, so Mikey boy got them for free this year, no wonder they were hired) but, he thinks Zimmer will say screw that Im leaving since he'll be like the violinist on the Titanic. He said Mikey Boy will only come out of hibernation when there's money to be made. Thats why no Chad trade because of the cap hit and youre stuck with 3 first rounders you have to pay for.

This keeps coming around to what kind of situation it is to work for Mike Brown as a HC for the Bengals. I think Marvin would quit before he gets fired, simply out of frustration. If in fact an HC's hands are as tied as people seem to believe they are working for Mike Brown, that lack of creative control and freedom over personnel and draft decisions would get mighty old being overrulled on.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='719049' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:43 PM']i still don't understand something here. if we can Marvin, who the fuck is Mike Brown going to hire to coach us ? ? ?

what's Brian Billick doing these days :ninja:[/quote]

i'm sure billick would rather stay in the booth than take this fucked up job.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='719079' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:07 PM']why, again, would marvin be fired?[/quote]
Go:

In some NFL cities, coaches are fired when their teams start 0-8, or finish 1-15, 2-14 or something like that. Just FYI. I think also some of the speculation is connected to the fact that Marvin has never led his team to a playoff win, and has led them to only one winning season, even though he has had a pro bowl quarterback almost all of that time.

[quote name='top6' post='719100' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:02 AM']Go:

In some NFL cities, coaches are fired when their teams start 0-8, or finish 1-15, 2-14 or something like that. Just FYI. I think also some of the speculation is connected to the fact that Marvin has never led his team to a playoff win, and has led them to only one winning season, even though he has had a pro bowl quarterback almost all of that time.[/quote]

he has just one losing season in 5 years, which is what, 15 less than the previous 16 years? (roughly) he is a damn good coach, and anyone with common sense realized the state of the team, and that marvin isnt the issue, when he arrived he said he had a 3 year plan, build, draft, build, draft and make the palyoffs, and he hit it on the head and nailed it, home run, accomplished everything he needed to, THEN, his franchise qb and pro bowler you speak of, (2 pro bowls in 6 seasons, fyi). has reconstructive surgery and had what was a rebuilding year in 2006, did well, but now the same, he lost 66% of his linebacker core, two top draft picks, and a 3rd round WR was gone most of two seasons, some rookies now starting on D with tory james going from pro bowl to toast hawkins in a single summer, etc.. thus, due to inujury and stupidity,
needless to say, at least 2 years of that rebuilding timeframe have restarted, we have the same gaps in the linebacking core, and an issue at safety with some youth, online scheme issues, and no pro bowl QB in sight.

lucky for me, marvin, and the bengals, sad for those who want heads to roll just so heads can roll and uss rebuild 100% again for 3-4 years, but mike is smart enough to know why the team is losing, and quite smart enough to know what he has in marvin and what is needed to win from this point on.

PS: i also love how the aruement went from "no playoff appearences in 20 years!!11" to "no playoff wins" then what if we win in the first round and lose in the 2nd itll be "a single palyoff win in 21 yearszz!11" the same tired argument doesnt everr get more legit, no matter how many lazy reporters and foolish fans want to repeat it. its not reality, and 1990-2002 has NOTHING to do with today, yesterday, or 2009.

a healthy rivers, a mature marvin white, 2 LB draft picks, or a pick and a FA, sims developed, and going back to a man instead of zone oline blocking scheme with an upgrade at center, and palmer alive and healthy...

= playoffs... easily..

why should we get another coach with another set of other coaches and ideology in to accomplish this? marvin can do it just fine. and has proven he can do it here and with his guys..

just think, we made the playoffs with at awful d-coord bresnehan and the gee wizz gawd awful OC in bratkowski... heavens how did we get by?

look how much of a difference rivers made before he was lost... thats just one palyer at LB... 1... we need 2 more...

we also need some answers at running back, but its tought to judge the position with the state of the o-line. so my opinion is foggy and weak on that one right now...

i realize caring about the franchise in general to the point of analyzing exactly whats actually happening is tough, and takes time, and is probably 10x more time than 95% of fans of any team bother putting forth. but many nay saying jerkoffs dont even bother trying.. as carson whips grass stains from his inner ass the last two years ive dealt with "palmer sucks, we need a new qb" and "palmer has never been the same since his injury" yea, that pro bowl MVP the year after is a real step down...

anyway.. hopefully you got my point, as the sarcasm was laced in pretty thick. marvin is hardly the problem,

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA v2.0' post='719112' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:49 AM']Is this part of the sarcasm?[/quote]

no.

im sorry if I confused..., but the thread is about marvin being fired. marvin wasnt here then, so how could it have anything to do with him needing or not needing to be fired?

I agree with Go. This year is the anomaly in the Marvin Lewis era, not 2005. Marvin lewis finally has a team he considers his, with all of his players, and a good core of young players especially on the defense. Its time to see if his defensive guys can help show why he was the defensive guru in Baltimore.

Theres no reason to fire a guy just because of one bad year or just because a bunch of idiots think they should.

I can almost guarantee there will be a point where people will laugh at the thought of us almost firing Marvin. (if we can start catching a few breaks here and there anyways)

[quote name='GoBengals' post='719114' date='Oct 28 2008, 11:56 PM']no.

im sorry if I confused..., but the thread is about marvin being fired. marvin wasnt here then, so how could it have anything to do with him needing or not needing to be fired?[/quote]

[center][/center]

It wouldn't have anything to do with whether Marvin needed to be fired, but I disagree that it doesn't apply to 2003 to the present to 2009.

You seem to think the Cincinnati Bengals were founded in 2003.

There are two distinct eras in Bengal history:

1: The Paul Brown Era 1968-1990
2: The Mike Brown Era 1991-present
a: Pre-Marvin Lewis
b: Marvin Lewis

[center][img]http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/tradition.jpg[/img][/center]

'Bengals Management' did a lot of good things in 2003: hired Marvin, up dated training facilities, hired new strength and conditioning coaches Marvin wanted, etc.

Most surprising, 'Bengals Management' seemed to be willing to turn over control of personnel decisions to the new head coach. I thought maybe a corner had been turned.

Now tell me what Dick LeBeau and Bruce Coslet have in common?

They were two outstanding coordinators that failed miserably as Head Coaches of the Cincinnati Bengals under 'Bengals Management' during the second era of Bengals' history.

If Bengals Management doesn't stop undermining the authority of Marvin Lewis you can add his name to the list of former Bengals Head Coaches who were better coordinators.

I think Marvin has done as well as can be expected. Just compare his winning percentage to the other head coaches from 1991-2002. I don't think Marvin will be fired, after all he didn't set an NFL record for a coach to reach 50 defeats in the fewest amount of games (Dave Shula.) I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin were to resign out of frustration, though. It seems I'm rooting for the status quo of almost the past two decades, again...draft position in October. Whoopee. You know what? I can actually remember a time when this team was competitive and not setting records for most losses in a decade.

And this is your solution?
[quote]a healthy rivers, a mature marvin white, 2 LB draft picks, or a pick and a FA, sims developed, and going back to a man instead of zone oline blocking scheme with an upgrade at center, and palmer alive and healthy...[/quote]

A healthy Rivers? Sure
A mature Marvin White? =career backup ala KK who couldn't tackle worth a damn either
2 LB picks or pick/FA? Sure, they would help. The defense needs a MLB and a SLB. Depth wouldn't hurt, either. But, the defense isn't the weak link now. So I sure hope they have excellent stamina bacause they're gonna need it when the offense can't convert a 3rd down.
Man blocking vs. Zone blocking next year? Won't camoflage the LT is washed up, the C never panned out, and the project RT will be gone via FA and it won't keep Palmer healthy or establish a running game

As Carson goes, so goes the Bengals. If the oline isn't 4/5ths fixed next season, next year will just be a repeat of this year. If the oline is upgraded, at least the team will be watchable again and competitive enough for another mediocre 8-8 season. Then maybe in 2010 they can fix the defense and talk about playoffs.

I don't want Marvin to go. I'm not excited about a change in Offensive Coordinator, but what happened with the defense this year with a new coordinator. I'd like to see both the offensive and defensive line coaches replaced.

I can tell you what I don't what, more of the status quo....[i]Let's not make a change because it could get worse.[/i]

[center][img]http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/vision.png[/img][/center]

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA v2.0' post='719126' date='Oct 29 2008, 01:57 AM'][center]I can tell you what I don't what, more of the status quo....[i]Let's not make a change because it could get worse.[/i][/quote][/center][center]
We are 0 - 8 with the worst offense in the league. How can it get any worse?[/center][center]
[/center][center]I don't want Marvin fired, but some changes definitely need to be made. At the very least, the Hayes brothers need to go. And the goddam shovel pass needs to be ripped out of the playbook!
[center] [/center][center]I think it's all a moot point anyway--it looks like Marvin is so tired of Mike Brown's bullshit that he'll probably resign during after the season is over.
[/center]

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='719130' date='Oct 29 2008, 03:50 AM']</div>[center]
We are 0 - 8 with the worst offense in the league. How can it get any worse?[/center][center]
[/center][center]I don't want Marvin fired, but some changes definitely need to be made. At the very least, the Hayes brothers need to go. And the goddam shovel pass needs to be ripped out of the playbook! [/center][center] [/center][center]I think it's all a moot point anyway--it looks like Marvin is so tired of Mike Brown's bullshit that he'll probably resign during after the season is over.
[/center]
[/quote]

The Hayes brothers definately need to go. Wouldnt bother me if Brat went either.
Last year we made some changes on the defensive side as far as coaches go let's
make a couple on the offensive side. Boot the Hayes bros. Yeah I know 1 is the
DL coach. And can Brat and promote Zampese.

Fired;
Marvin
brat
Line coach alexander

That would be a great start. I would love a gm, but I don't think that will happen. But I would be very happy with a new years present of, MB coming out and saying,

" I have been looking at the resumes of several new scouts for our team and I plan on hiring them soon. I have also told Marvin That I appreciate his service to the team but him, along with several other coaches will no longer be employed with us"

[quote name='GoBengals' post='719107' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:26 AM']but mike is smart enough to know why the team is losing[/quote]

I found this comment absolutely comical. It has to be the quote of the year, thus far...

far out-reaching "I'm 1/3rd indian"...

Granted, Marvin has only been here since 2003. Mike's been here, in charge, since 1990. So, if he's "smart enought to know why the team is losing" then one of two scenarios is occurring:

1) He doesn't give a damn as long as he's turning a healthy profit.
2) He doesn't know how to fix it.

Go, which is it. You state the above, so if the guy knows "why the team is losing" over the past 18 years why hasn't it been fixed?

And, realize there was no name calling, etc. in my post. No blasting anybody. Critique yes, blistering no.

Archived