Approval Ratings

Vol_Bengal

I'm on my way into work and listening to my local talk radio guy (I've mentioned him before)... and he brings up a valid question and I thought I'd throw it out here...

Bush's approval rating is 22%... and everyone is clamoring to impeach and / or get rid of his ass...

Congress' approval rating is 15%... yet, we're hearing very little. Don't we need to be paying a little more attention there???

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='719795' date='Oct 31 2008, 08:31 AM']I think it's because Bush is 1 guy, while Congress is a whole group. It's harder to place blame on any specific people in Congress. Everyone thinks that their guys aren't the problem... it's the other guys in there.[/quote]

That was my thought as well... just thought it was funny that their rating is worse than Bush's (didn't even think that was possible) and you don't hear anything, AT ALL. Who has control of the House and Senate???

<rhetorical question>

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='719807' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:01 AM']Scrooge McDuck

<rhetorical answer>[/quote]

heh, heh...

apparently not. Scrooge McDuck was miserly and didn't want to share any of his money...

this Congress wants to share all of our money!!! with banks predominantly...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='719818' date='Oct 31 2008, 03:50 PM']heh, heh...

apparently not. Scrooge McDuck was miserly and didn't want to share any of his money...

this Congress [color="#FF0000"]and the prez[/color] wants to share all of our money!!! with banks predominantly...[/quote]

[quote]heh, heh...

this Congress and the prez wants to share all of our money!!! with banks predominantly...[/quote]

no argument there... but you're hearing all about how shitting "the prez" is but Congress is getting a pass...

hence, the topic.

I think that low Congressional approval rating is directly tied to the vote on the bail-out bill. Sure Bush proposed it but Congress, after the House voted it down originally, added some pork to an already huge bill and then voted for it.....kinda pisses me off as well.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='719832' date='Oct 31 2008, 04:28 PM']no argument there... but you're hearing all about how shitting "the prez" is but Congress is getting a pass...

hence, the topic.[/quote]

It will be interesting to see what the congressional incumbent re-election rate will be. Have you seen any projections?

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='719840' date='Oct 31 2008, 10:49 AM']It will be interesting to see what the congressional incumbent re-election rate will be. Have you seen any projections?[/quote]

Not as of yet... what is scary is the vast, vast majority of American voters are dumb sheep and won't open their eyes and realize who is doing what.

Sadly. A hunch tells me that Dems will grab another seat or two in each house because of the state of the economy and people won't pay much attention to bailout bill votes, etc.

I'd be surprised if Dems don't win the presidency, additional house seats, and additional Senate seats this voting cycle. It seems like every 10 years or so American people change minds, or whatever, and move power back to the other party. With all that is going on with economy, Iraq, etc., etc., etc. any democrat would have to royally screw it up to not win.

Granted, you'll have your staunch democrat and staunch republican areas where no matter what that is what is going to win but you get my point.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='719795' date='Oct 31 2008, 07:31 AM']I think it's because Bush is 1 guy, while Congress is a whole group. It's harder to place blame on any specific people in Congress. Everyone thinks that their guys aren't the problem... it's the other guys in there.[/quote]

I've thought Jean Schmidt is a problem for years.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='719792' date='Oct 31 2008, 08:26 AM']I'm on my way into work and listening to my local talk radio guy (I've mentioned him before)... and he brings up a valid question and I thought I'd throw it out here...

Bush's approval rating is 22%... and everyone is clamoring to impeach and / or get rid of his ass...

Congress' approval rating is 15%... yet, we're hearing very little. Don't we need to be paying a little more attention there???[/quote]

id wager less than 50% of the country under the age of 60 knows what congress even does. let alone be angry over what they are doing and have done.

this place is screwed....

a girl i work with wore a buch'08 shirt, before she changed into her work gear, and shes known for being rather stupid and ditzy, so i asked about her shirt, and she said "bush is awesome, i got it at a rally at great american before the last voting time (year, really) with my parents (gotta love parents who tell their kids who to vote for, make them vote, yet tell them nothing about any of it).... and i said something about Cheney shooting dude in face, as it was common jokery at the time, and she said "whos cheney" and i said "dick cheney...." and she said "whos that?"

this person voted.....

there should really be a questionnaire to fill out approving people to vote, if you have NO IDEA what any of the government does or who they are, its kind of shitty to be able to vote on something that effects the rest of us.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='720000' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:29 PM']id wager less than 50% of the country under the age of 60 knows what congress even does. let alone be angry over what they are doing and have done.

this place is screwed....

a girl i work with wore a buch'08 shirt, before she changed into her work gear, and shes known for being rather stupid and ditzy, so i asked about her shirt, and she said "bush is awesome, i got it at a rally at great american before the last voting time (year, really) with my parents (gotta love parents who tell their kids who to vote for, make them vote, yet tell them nothing about any of it).... and i said something about Cheney shooting dude in face, as it was common jokery at the time, and she said "whos cheney" and i said "dick cheney...." and she said "whos that?"

this person voted.....

there should really be a questionnaire to fill out approving people to vote, if you have NO IDEA what any of the government does or who they are, its kind of shitty to be able to vote on something that effects the rest of us.[/quote]

I would imagine the homeless people in Ohio that can list a park bench as a home address don't know much about the election either. Seriously, I wonder how some of these people can fill out the registration form......

[quote name='Jungle1' post='720003' date='Nov 1 2008, 12:38 AM']I would imagine the homeless people in Ohio that can list a park bench as a home address don't know much about the election either. Seriously, I wonder how some of these people can fill out the registration form......[/quote]
Use your imagination to contemplate the possibility that Republican caging efforts have explicitly tried to remove folks who have been foreclosed on their homes from voter registration rolls. Then ask yourself, "Why am I a 'LIV'?"

[quote name='scrotos' post='719836' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:44 AM']I think that low Congressional approval rating is directly tied to the vote on the bail-out bill. Sure Bush proposed it but Congress, after the House voted it down originally, added some pork to an already huge bill and then voted for it.....kinda pisses me off as well.[/quote]

congress has ranked that low for a very long time... they have always been about 5-10 points under the president... which is a hard thing to do.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='720029' date='Nov 1 2008, 07:32 AM']Use your imagination to contemplate the possibility that Republican caging efforts have explicitly tried to remove folks who have been foreclosed on their homes from voter registration rolls. Then ask yourself, "Why am I a 'LIV'?"[/quote]

First----it is not only poor Democrats that are getting foreclosed on. Many homes around Columbus (300K+) are being foreclosed on by people that took interest only loans hoping to flip a house for profit and lost their ass. Now, they just quit paying their mortgage. So, the people being foreclosed on is a mixed bag.

Second, have you heard of ACORN or trying to block the military vote. I even found this bit on a left wing blog....
[url="http://www.chicagoathome.com/detail.aspx?dct=54&id=9971&mid=2660&loc=rss"]http://www.chicagoathome.com/detail.aspx?d...660&loc=rss[/url]
[i]"A huge number of these letters were mailed to members of the military serving in Iraq in 2004. Because the service people were in Iraq, not at home, when those registered letters were returned as undeliverable (obviously because the service person was in Iraq) their votes were thrown out as questionable." [/i]

Let's not pretend dirt bags only exist on one side of the political spectrum

[quote name='Jungle1' post='720065' date='Nov 1 2008, 11:18 AM']First----it is not only poor Democrats that are getting foreclosed on. Many homes around Columbus (300K+) are being foreclosed on by people that took interest only loans hoping to flip a house for profit and lost their ass. Now, they just quit paying their mortgage. So, the people being foreclosed on is a mixed bag.

Second, have you heard of ACORN or trying to block the military vote. I even found this bit on a left wing blog....
[url="http://www.chicagoathome.com/detail.aspx?dct=54&id=9971&mid=2660&loc=rss"]http://www.chicagoathome.com/detail.aspx?d...660&loc=rss[/url]
[i]"A huge number of these letters were mailed to members of the military serving in Iraq in 2004. Because the service people were in Iraq, not at home, when those registered letters were returned as undeliverable (obviously because the service person was in Iraq) their votes were thrown out as questionable." [/i]

Let's not pretend dirt bags only exist on one side of the political spectrum[/quote]
where the hell do you get this shit? acorn is not mentioned once in the article you linked

in fact, that article claims the exact opposite of what you just stated

[quote name='Jungle1' post='720065' date='Nov 1 2008, 11:18 AM']Let's not pretend dirt bags only exist on one side of the political spectrum[/quote]
Agreed. But let's assert that the past eight years of Republican rule have virtually crippled this nation. Furthermore, let's note with irony that McCain, from Arizona, has virtually put the coup de grace on the party of Goldwater by letting the nutball Dominionists push Palin into prominence--a Palin who just might be a significant factor in shaping future of the Republican party.

Physician, heal thyself!

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='720133' date='Nov 1 2008, 08:20 PM']Agreed. But let's assert that the past eight years of Republican rule have virtually crippled this nation. Furthermore, let's note with irony that McCain, from Arizona, has virtually put the coup de grace on the party of Goldwater by letting the nutball Dominionists push Palin into prominence--a Palin who just might be a significant factor in shaping future of the Republican party.

Physician, heal thyself![/quote]

The Democrats have run the Congress the last two years. Barney Frank and his crew have done their share of damage too. And, Bush is just as bad.

I think a group of 1st graders could do just as well sometimes.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='720102' date='Nov 1 2008, 02:54 PM']where the hell do you get this shit? acorn is not mentioned once in the article you linked

in fact, that article claims the exact opposite of what you just stated[/quote]

I know this article did not mention ACORN....I figured most people should know about them or could google them.

Homer mentioned caging. And, this left leaning blog mentioned it happened to service people in 04. Do you really think the Repulicans would be caging the service people?

My point was there are shady things going on both sides of this election....and previous elections.

Archived