New President: possibly perceived as soft

CincyInDC

[quote name='rudi32' post='721666' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:56 PM']theres way to go about it, Of course I would be mad about a missle shield. I am more pissed about the "ethnic cleansing" that most of you all want to "over look as their business"[/quote]

If you want to get up on your high moral horse then invade North Korea. Or China.

Or do genocidal issues only matter in countries with oil and without a nuclear defense?

Thought so.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='721694' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:52 PM']If you want to get up on your high moral horse then invade North Korea. Or China.

[b]Or do genocidal issues only matter in countries with oil and without a nuclear defense?[/b]

Thought so.[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding

I think that this new admin ought to flex it's military might in a way that shows the world we really mean business. Like Reagan did with Grenada. Or Bush41 with Panama. I hear that Obama likes turtles, so in order to do a resource grab of turtledom, maybe we ought to land the jarheads on the Galapagos.

Or we could just extract ourselves from Iraq, I don't know.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='721697' date='Nov 5 2008, 05:02 PM']I think that this new admin ought to flex it's military might in a way that shows the world we really mean business. Like Reagan did with Grenada. Or Bush41 with Panama. I hear that Obama likes turtles, so in order to do a resource grab of turtledom, maybe we ought to land the jarheads on the Galapagos.

Or we could just extract ourselves from Iraq, I don't know.[/quote]

Yeah cause Russia = Grenada and Panama

You don't flex your muscle with Russia. Thats...stupid.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='721697' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:02 PM']I think that this new admin ought to flex it's military might in a way that shows the world we really mean business. Like Reagan did with Grenada. Or Bush41 with Panama. I hear that Obama likes turtles, so in order to do a resource grab of turtledom, maybe we ought to land the jarheads on the Galapagos.

Or we could just extract ourselves from Iraq, I don't know.[/quote]

Sadly, the jarheads would just trample the iguanas. Please. Think of the iguanas.

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='721726' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:09 PM']Let the fun begin.....lets see hmmm....he'll just give them some smooth talk and make everything better :0stfu:[/quote]

Again, what, in your mind, do you think the United States of America should do about Russia right now? What is the end game of putting our foot down?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='721727' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:11 PM']Again, what, in your mind, do you think the United States of America should do about Russia right now? What is the end game of putting our foot down?[/quote]

Go ahead with the missle shield and call their bluff. If not curl up and suck your thumb like a baby and let them dictate to us. Big mistake to let them start flexing their muscle after this election we went thru and think we are too weak to respond.

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='721729' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:16 PM']Go ahead with the missle shield and call their bluff. If not curl up and suck your thumb like a baby and let them dictate to us. Big mistake to let them start flexing their muscle after this election we went thru and think we are too weak to respond.[/quote]

Okay, we build the missile shield, and they bomb it. What then? Do we invade Russia?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='721731' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:19 PM']Okay, we build the missile shield, and they bomb it. What then? Do we invade Russia?[/quote]

You don't invade.....you bring up the subs parked off shore and lob a missle or 2 back......look they won't do something that stupid because nato will be involved....they know if they strike first then it's gloves off and nukes come in. F-22 Raptors are already there and can take out any bomber in that area.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='721654' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:38 PM']So I pretty much agree with the Russians here. :shrug:

I think we should GTFO of their business, ASAP. I also pretty much agree with Medvedev's comments re: our country's attitude in the recent past.[/quote]

me too, you cant only flick countries in the ear from behind for so long. especially when your economically fucked from doing so...

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='721735' date='Nov 6 2008, 09:30 AM']You don't invade.....you bring up the subs parked off shore and lob a missle or 2 back......look they won't do something that stupid because nato will be involved....they know if they strike first then it's gloves off and nukes come in. F-22 Raptors are already there and can take out any bomber in that area.[/quote]
You are a complete moron.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='721753' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:08 PM']I tried to channel my inner [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method"]Socrates[/url] to show him the problem with his viewpoints. I see it did not work. : :thwack1:[/quote]

You should have approached it a bit differently....

I think we need to look deeper at what this propsed missle shield is capable of, if it will even work. It's stated purpose I think is to protect Europe from rogue missles from countries like Iran. We also need to reexamine whom it's going to be built for. For NATO, or for ourselves? Did NATO countries ask for it, more specifically, Poland? Or are we building it out of hubris or a desire to "one-up" the Russians?

I'm pretty uncertain on some of this. It's hard to trust the Russians motives here. It's clear they are pretty pissed at having a former Warsaw Bloc country become a NATO member...but whom can blame Poland? The USSR treated it's bloc countries like shitty possessions, not as allies like we treat fellow NATO members.

Russia is also pretty upset about it's image as a second-rate superpower, and has been aggressively flying bomber missions very near or into other countries' airspace.

I'm uncertain about the usefullness of this system. You know, as a NATO ally, we should provide support and help to other NATO countries if the situation warrants it, but that should probably be the extent of our help. If we're going to build a missle shield, build a bunch of those fuckers here in the USA and let's protect ourselves.

Russia clearly doesn't like that we are trying to tip the balance of MAD in our favor with this, but there really isn't anything they could say about us building such a thing on our own soil...except build their own...it's the proximity to [i]their[/i] country that they don't like.

Unless the preconditions of : NATO member asks us to build it out of fear of imminent Russian attack, NATO members agree to build such a thing (and share the cost!) for the stated purpose of missle defense against rogue nations aren't met, then we shouldn't build it.

Also, fuck Russia. But there's no need to provoke them unnecessarily.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='721664' date='Nov 6 2008, 04:54 AM']No one here likes what Russia is doing, some of us question the value of getting involved. Why [i]wouldn't [/i]they be pissed off about us setting up a missile shield on their border? I mean fucking seriously. If Russia set up a missile shield along the Mexican border and said it was just to protect their ally Mexico, we'd just say "Oh, cool, have at it."? No, we wouldn't. We'd view it as an act of aggression, JUST LIKE THEY DO WHEN WE DO IT. The hypocrisy here is over-fucking-whelming.[/quote]

Amen.
MULLY

Archived