FA Centers

I know they had talked about it maybe last year at this time...but they really need to change the way the NFL does business and give a 2 (or so) day grace period where guys are now officially FAs but cannot sign a deal until the period is up to avoid the "illegal" discussions that no doubt go on before teams are allowed to talk with the players.

Either that or start fucking penalizing teams who do this shit.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='749673' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:57 PM']We have a capable starter that the coaches love at middle linebacker. We have Ryan Cook at center.[/quote]
If for 7 mil a year you told ML that he could have a pro-bowl MLB or a pro-bowl C...my money is on him choosing MLB

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749676' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:01 PM']If for 7 mil a year you told ML that he could have a pro-bowl MLB or a pro-bowl C...my money is on him choosing MLB[/quote]
I would agree because he's a defensive minded coach.

I would rather have a decent MLB and a pro bowl center than two capable starters at MLB (one pro bowler, one decent) and absolute garbage at center.

Most Ravens fans don't like Bart Scott and would rather have Brown back than Scott. They think he's not as good as he's hyped to be and makes a lot of stupid mistakes. You do have to take into account scheme and the vast number or pro bowlers he plays beside as well.

IMO Brown >> Scott

Have the Bengals ever signed a free agent from another team the first night of free agency? I keep thinking of all the years we were told they'd "let the market come to them" or they "were keeping their powder dry". Would anyone be surprised if Mike and Katie were asleep at midnight Friday night?

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='749678' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:04 PM']I would agree because he's a defensive minded coach.

I would rather have a decent MLB and a pro bowl center than two capable starters at MLB (one pro bowler, one decent) [b]and absolute garbage at center.[/b][/quote]

So does that include this C draft class?

I'm just pushin buttons. I'm down if they wanna open up their wallets and sign Brown to big $$...but I don't think its a neccessity since we happen to have the richest C position draft in recent memory coming up in April.

I think the wisest team would realize that 7 million a year is a little much for a Center especially when they have big $$ tied up in the OL already and could find A. an improvement from the current and B. a sure-fire [u]solid[/u] center in the draft.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749702' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:08 PM']So does that include this C draft class?

I'm just pushin buttons. I'm down if they wanna open up their wallets and sign Brown to big $$...but I don't think its a neccessity since we happen to have the richest C position draft in recent memory coming up in April.

I think the wisest team would realize that 7 million a year is a little much for a Center especially when they have big $$ tied up in the OL already and could find A. an improvement from the current and B. a sure-fire [u]solid[/u] center in the draft.[/quote]

That's just it S-nutz... all of the centers coming out are POTENTIALLY solid centers, but potential doesn't mean jack shit.

Brown, Birk, Saturday ARE solid centers... a proven NFL quantity.

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='749658' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:12 PM']RAVENS CUT OFF TALKS WITH JASON BROWN
Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2009, 12:06 p.m. EST
Albert Breer of SportingNews.com reports, at the PFT safe haven site, that the Baltimore Ravens have cut off talks with free-agent-to-be Jason Brown.

Specifically, the Ravens have informed Brown that the player isn’t in their plans for 2009.

Brown, a center in Baltimore, could also play guard with a new team.

One team that reportedly will be sniffing around Brown come midnight (if not earlier . . . if not already) is the Dolphins. Last year, Miami had a deal with guard Justin Smiley less than 30 minutes into the free-agency period. This year, Brown could be the next guy to negotiate a multi-multi-million-dollar contract from scratch, with no advance discussion or dialogue or communication of any kind, within an hour after the period for having permissible discussion or dialogue or communication of any kind begins.[/quote]

I seriously doubt it happens, but if we could sign Benson, Crocker, and Brown in FA, I would be happy with that.

[quote name='Jason' post='749718' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:40 PM']I seriously doubt it happens, but if we could sign Benson, Crocker, and Brown in FA, I would be happy with that.[/quote]

That's pretty much my dream scenario as well. With those 3 guys and 5 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft, and all the guys coming back from injury, we could have a pretty good team next year.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='749717' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:40 PM'][b]That's just it S-nutz... all of the centers coming out are POTENTIALLY solid centers, but potential doesn't mean jack shit.[/b]

Brown, Birk, Saturday ARE solid centers... a proven NFL quantity.[/quote]

Well the only thing I can say, is that 4 weeks ago no one had a problem with putting any guy who has the same question marks as these Cs in charge of protecting Palmer's blind side.

And the thing that comes into play here is do we need a pro-bowl type player, or will an NFL caliber player suffice? For 5 million a year this is a no-brainer, but now that we're talking tackle money at the C spot, I think its a legit option to forgoe pursuing Brown and take a C in the draft.

[quote name='bengalsfansince68' post='749657' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:10 PM']Thanks for the morning condescension but I'll tell you...
If Eric Steinbach was worth his 7 mills to Cleveland, Jason Brown will be worth 7 mills to Cincinnati.
IMO[/quote]

Well where's the GM that signed Steinbach? It was a dumb fuck move and anyone willing to follow Cleveland's wise football operations should be shot.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749722' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:56 PM']Well the only thing I can say, is that 4 weeks ago no one had a problem with putting any guy who has the same question marks as these Cs in charge of protecting Palmer's blind side.

And the thing that comes into play here is do we need a pro-bowl type player, or will an NFL caliber player suffice? For 5 million a year this is a no-brainer, but now that we're talking tackle money at the C spot, I think its a legit option to forgoe pursuing Brown and take a C in the draft.[/quote]

No, we're not talking tackle money for a C, we're talking C/G money for a C/G... big difference.
Brown is NOT just a C, not only that but like it or not, the average money per position will continue to go up and what was tackle money last year is center money this year.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='749683' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:12 PM']Most Ravens fans don't like Bart Scott and would rather have Brown back than Scott. They think he's not as good as he's hyped to be and makes a lot of stupid mistakes. You do have to take into account scheme and the vast number or pro bowlers he plays beside as well.

IMO Brown >> Scott[/quote]

Most? Come on. You aren't going to speak for Raven Nation like you judge USC LB's character.

Is this a Pattern? Any potential MLB prospect that might send Dhani packing (which he should be) and all of sudden there's evil in that player.

[quote name='scharm' post='749724' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:09 PM']Well where's the GM that signed Steinbach? It was a dumb fuck move and anyone willing to follow Cleveland's wise football operations should be shot.[/quote]

They weren't saying that about that GM last year when the Browns were 10-6 and had a shot at the playoffs now were they?
As a matter of fact, there were plenty of people who were slamming the Bengals for NOT signing Steibach to the same contract.

Revisionist history is always 20/20, ironic huh?

[quote name='sparky151' post='749699' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:58 PM']Have the Bengals ever signed a free agent from another team the first night of free agency? I keep thinking of all the years we were told they'd "let the market come to them" or they "were keeping their powder dry". Would anyone be surprised if Mike and Katie were asleep at midnight Friday night?[/quote]

MLB Nate Webster, I believe. They've had some first weekenders.

Archived