Larson and Plackemeier Cut

ctrentRT @joshpichler: RT @joereedy: Kevin Huber is officially the Bengals punter. Kyle Larson and Ryan Plackemeier have been released
21 minutes ago from twhirl

joereedyKevin Huber is officially the Bengals punter. Kyle Larson and Ryan Plackemeier have been released
27 minutes ago from TweetDeck

[quote][size=5][b]Larson cut as Huber arrives[/b][/size]
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Apr 28, 2009

The Bengals made it clear Tuesday just how much they regard fifth-round pick Kevin Huber when they released their two veterans and left him as the only punter on the roster.

Gone is Kyle Larson after five seasons and 379 punts, the third most in team history behind Lee Johnson (746) and Pat McInally. His 41.9-yard average is tied for third in club history, but his numbers dropped considerably the past two seasons. In 2008, when he set the team record with 100 punts, he finished last in the AFC with a 39.5 average and a 34.1 net. Larson finished his career with 109 inside-20 kicks and 32 touchbacks.

The Bengals also waived Ryan Plackemeier, a fourth-year punter that played last season for Seattle and Washington and had been acquired by Cincinnati on waivers from Washington this past Feb. 13.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/larson-cut-as-huber-arrives/cf29b1f0-e260-49b6-a232-3cfd65811cc8"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/lars...32-3cfd65811cc8[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Huber looks to be the punter[/b][/size]
Posted by JoeReedy at 4/28/2009 4:07 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Kevin Huber will enter this weekend's rookie minicamp, and training camp for that matter, as the Bengals' punter after the team's other two punters, Kyle Larson and Ryan Plackemeier, were released on Tuesday.

Larson, who was the team's punter since 2004, had his contract terminated, making him an unrestricted free agent. After averaging 44.5 yards in 2006, Larson's average steadily slipped the past two years to 39.5 last year, which was last in the league. Larson punted a league-high 100 times last year, and had two games of 11 punts.

Plackemeier, who was waived, was acquired by the Bengals on waivers from Washington on Feb. 13. He played last year for the Seahawks and Redskins.

Huber, a McNicholas High grad who went to UC, was drafted in the fifth round by the Bengals on Sunday. He is already quite familiar with special teams coach Darrin Simmons and the Bengals staff since they were together for the Senior Bowl.
"It's helped a lot to see what coaching style Coach Simmons has and see what he expects of me," Huber said on Sunday. "He's got a punting background himself so that's going to help a lot."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog09&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac78cbe8a-2b47-436d-a33e-623f9b65de7cPost%3a68980aca-9038-4717-8656-cec6273ff527&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url]

[quote name='Montecore' post='771296' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:17 PM']So much for letting guys compete to make 'em better ...[/quote]
That's kinda what I was thinking. I thought they should at least put Huber in some simulated game situations to make sure they know what they have before cutting Larson, but...ehhh, it's a punter.

[quote name='sparky151' post='771297' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:17 PM']I would have kept another punter around to save some wear and tear on Huber's leg during camp. The team will want to give Huber a lot of work in camp since he's a rookie but usually there are two or more guys splitting the kicks.[/quote]
Not much wear and tear they have machines that shoot the ball in the air for punt and kick returners to practice

[quote name='Bunghole' post='771300' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:22 PM']That's kinda what I was thinking. I thought they should at least put Huber in some simulated game situations to make sure they know what they have before cutting Larson, but...ehhh, it's a punter.[/quote]

i guess he never kicked in a game before.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='771300' date='Apr 28 2009, 10:22 PM']I thought they should at least put Huber in some simulated game situations to [b]make sure they know what they have before cutting Larson[/b], but...ehhh, it's a punter.[/quote]

Well Larson was a shanking noodle-leg. So we knew what we had there. So why wait?

[quote name='scharm' post='771283' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:48 PM']Same thing that happens when your starting punter breaks a leg. IR, then find one.[/quote]

I was just joking. I don't care about having a backup punter around.

Anyway, our offense will be so good we probably don't even need to carry a punter on the roster.

It's cool that we have a good one though just in case.

[quote name='WhoDeyBabe' post='771321' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:58 PM']I was just joking. I don't care about having a backup punter around.

Anyway, our offense will be so good we probably don't even need to carry a punter on the roster.

It's cool that we have a good one though just in case.[/quote]

We will just punt on first down so Huber can pin them at the 1 with a 79 yard punt.
Then the D gets a safety.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='771313' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:46 PM']i guess he never kicked in a game before.[/quote]
Not in a professional game, no. But thanks for pointing out the obvious!

[quote name='VonBlade' post='771320' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:56 PM']Well Larson was a shanking noodle-leg. So we knew what we had there. So why wait?[/quote]
In case Huber turned out to be an even [i]more[/i] shanking noodle leg?
:lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='771300' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:22 PM']That's kinda what I was thinking. I thought they should at least put Huber in some simulated game situations to make sure they know what they have before cutting Larson, but...ehhh, it's a punter.[/quote]

true, but as marvin stated, aside from andre smith, they spent the most time with huber of any of the draft prospects, even going as far as saying Huber stayed over Darrin Simmons' house a few times reviewing tape. I think they feel more than comfortable with him.

Archived