Bengals bring back the hamburgler Shaun Smith

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='09 December 2009 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1260406508' post='839482']
I see you found the Rosetta Stone software
[/quote]

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='09 December 2009 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1260406790' post='839485']
Nah, it's his spell checker finally kicking in. :ninja:
[/quote]

It's all about the right software...

[img]http://www.funtoosh.com/pictures/images/funky_word.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' date='10 December 2009 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1260412532' post='839522']
It's easy to speak jive:

[url="http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp"]Translator[/url]
[/quote]
I'll have to remember this...

[quote]pardon me, but, do ya gots any grey poupon? slap mah fro! [/quote]

:P

[quote name='USN Bengal' date='09 December 2009 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1260387338' post='839365']
The future of America scares the shit outta me...
[/quote]

Translated

[font="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"][size="3"]The future o' America scares da sheeit outta me... Don't make me come ovah there bitch... [/size][/font]

[b][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2009/12/09/shaun-smith-the-infamous-hamburglar-is-back/"][size="5"]Shaun Smith, the Hamburglar, is back[/size][/url][size="5"] [/size][/b]
Posted by [email="chickludwig@yahoo.com"]cludwig[/email] December 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Shaun "The Hamburglar" Smith — one of my favorite all-time Cincinnati Bengals — is back.

Back-back-back where he belongs … with the Bengals.

Back to provide depth where it's needed most — the defensive line — in the wake of Domata Peko's right knee surgery on Monday.

Back to bring us his unsinkable, unshakeable, unbelievable, undeniable and unfathomable humor.

And back to mend fences, especially with head coach Marvin Lewis, wide receiver Chad Ochocinco and placekicker Shayne Graham.

Smith, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native and product of the University of South Carolina, originally joined the Bengals during the 2004 season after being released by New Orleans, where he earned his nickname "The Hamburglar."

Back in '04, Smith and his Saints teammate, defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan, were deactivated for a game at Atlanta. Instead of being anchored in the locker room prior to the game, both were discovered in the Georgia Dome press box, scarfin' down burgers.

Smith was released days later and then-head coach Jim Haslett pointed to the "Hamburglar" episode as a major reason why Smith got cut.

Later on, Bengals right offensive tackle Willie Anderson — whose investment team owns the "Fatburger" franchise in the Atlanta market — treated his teammates to a Fatburger lunch. Smith was seen leaving Paul Brown Stadium chomping on a burger and carrying a Styrofoam "doggie bag" container with more burgers.

Here's a guy who watches the Lifetime channel with his wife; calls his wife and daughter the night before every game as he relaxes with a non-alcoholic "Ladybug" cocktail; and humors his teammates by talking trash to opponents and cracking jokes during games.

Smith signed with the Cleveland Browns in 2007 after the Bengals refused to match the four-year, $8 million offer sheet Smith signed as a restricted free agent. He then took out his frustration on the Bengals.

In March, 2008, Smith blasted the Bengals at a Central Maryland Browns Backers meeting and unveiled details of the infamous locker-room fiasco at halftime of the Bengals' 31-17 playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Jan. 8, 2006 — a game in which Carson Palmer's left knee was wrecked on a hit by Kimo von Oelhoffen.

"He (Chad Ochocinco) swung at Marvin, and hit Marvin," Smith said. "Look at his left eye in the press conference after the game. I was there in the training room. He shattered the training room glass. Then he tried to swing on (wide receivers coach) Hue Jackson as well."

After the Bengals' 19-14 victory over Cleveland on Dec. 23, 2007, an agitated Smith blamed Bengals kicker Shayne Graham for Cincinnati's failure to reach the playoffs in 2006.

Graham missed a late field goal in the '06 season finale against Pittsburgh and the Bengals lost, 23-17, in overtime.

"I blame (Graham) for the reason we lost last year and didn't make the playoffs," Smith said. "That's why I have so much — how do you say it? — hatred toward him. It is what it is. I'm on to bigger and better things."

I asked Smith if he was serious.

"Yeah," he said. "I blame him. All he had to do was get the snap and kick the ball (against Pittsburgh in the 2006 regular-season finale) and we'd have been in the playoffs. I said the usual stuff I always say. I try to get guys ticked off during the game."

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2009/12/09/shaun-smith-the-infamous-hamburglar-is-back/"]http://cincinnati.co...urglar-is-back/[/url]

[quote name='USN Bengal' date='09 December 2009 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1260391026' post='839384']
LOL!

It has nothing to do with the shade of the epidermis, but all to do with the firing of the synapses in whatever amount of grey matter the individual might possess.
I just really wish that people realized how poorly they portray themselves... and how it affects them in a negative manner.

Oh well... to each their own I guess.

As along as Smith comes to play and contributes in a positive way, I could care less what he said in the past.

WHODEY!!!
[/quote]

Honestly the guy prolly has to think a lot more to be able to type the shit he does... I mean it would take a lot of work for me to try and type everything like that...

The Hamburglar returns for round 2 with the Bengals. Smith's a big body, if nothing else, and the coaches are familiar with him. He actually played decently in 2007 for Cleveland (15 games, 11 starts, 62 total tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 3 passes defensed). I don't have many expectations for him other than being a little insurance in case Peko doesn't make it back.

Jt says he lovs the guy. He said Smith is lud in a funny way and keeps guys loose. He said that he had days in practice that he could flat out hurt people and he put Guycheck on Ir. He believes there will be zero issues with his return.

jt's thoughts:

[quote]
Shaun Smith will help

December 11th, 2009 | Bengals, NFL

I like the Bengals signing of DT Shaun Smith. This move fits in the mold of what the Bengals have been doing over the last few years, getting good veteran players that feel they have something to prove. Shaun is a very talented player. Does he talk too much? Sometimes. But he was never a problem in Cincinnati when he played for the Bengals. The players and coaches loved being around him. He is the type of guy that can keep a team loose. There were times when coaches had to say, “Shaun, shut the hell up.” And there were also times when coaches asked Shaun why was he being so quiet. In my opinion, Shaun’s problems came when the Cleveland Browns signed him to a deal and gave him stability. Shaun felt like he had to be the one that spoke for the team. He felt like he had to talk even more. As you can see, that didn’t work out, not everyone can deal with that. I remember a game in 2007 where Shaun came back to Cincy to play the Bengals, he went up and down the line and whooped every Bengals OL you know what. The day after that game, coaches were telling me they couldn’t believe that he did that. I think Marvin, Mike Zimmer, and DL coach Jay Hayes will get the best out of Shaun these last few weeks. With Peko hurt and Tank not really giving the team anything this season, bringing in Shaun is a good move. He knows that this is his last opportunity to prove himself, and he is playing on a good team that is going to the playoffs.
[/quote]

http://www.allproblogger.com/2009/12/11/shaun-smith-will-help/#respond

this part in another thread was interesting. JT doesn't seem too high on Tank.

[quote]

JT

December 10th, 2009 at 7:04 pm

I like the signing. Shaun will play well. May give you more than Tank is giving you
[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 December 2009 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1260547089' post='840258']
jt's thoughts:

[/quote]

What is hilarious about that is just this past Sunday I was thinking what a "JT like" performance he has put in this year.. He seems to play his gaps and responsibilities well enough and doesn't get blown up.. A solid veteran performance but nothing to sing about.

Surely JT recognizes what his role was here.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 December 2009 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1260547089' post='840258']
jt's thoughts:

[/quote]

Ok livings is better than mathis, now the hamburgeler may be better than Tank?

Either JT has lost his mind or he's trying to create controversy for the hits.

[quote name='Lucid' date='11 December 2009 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1260547704' post='840264']
What is hilarious about that is just this past Sunday I was thinking what a "JT like" performance he has put in this year.. He seems to play his gaps and responsibilities well enough and doesn't get blown up.. A solid veteran performance but nothing to sing about.

Surely JT recognizes what his role was here.
[/quote]

Tank isnt a probowler, but he gets more penetration than JT ever did.

[quote name='TheBZ' date='12 December 2009 - 03:42 AM' timestamp='1260607328' post='840496']
Why can I get behind this move?

Because Shaun Smith never had to deal with Mike Zimmer before...I trust that he will put him in line and keep him there.

BZ
[/quote]
Yeah, having Zimmer overseeing Smith makes me worry a lot less about his antics.

What's up with the hammer and sickle?

[quote name='TheBZ' date='12 December 2009 - 04:42 AM' timestamp='1260607328' post='840496']
Why can I get behind this move?

Because Shaun Smith never had to deal with Mike Zimmer before...I trust that he will put him in line and keep him there.

BZ
[/quote]

Actually in his locker room interview he mentioned that he played for him as a rookie.

Archived