2010 NFL DRAFT - Cincinnati Bengals

Good season to build off of... definitely need some improving on offense and special teams. Now, in my opinion, it's time to talk about the most exciting part of the season... the draft!!

In my opinion, I think we need interior offensive line help in the biggest way. Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth have the outsides manned. To me, the pressure that is in Carson's grill is from blitzing up the middle. The backs, especially Leonard, have done a good job of picking up what they can but we need better play out of the C and G positions. Maybe the ability is there but the coaching isn't? Maybe it's the other way around?

Another position of need to wide receiver. Chad Johnson is still a #1 and I think that is enough said. The guy can still play good ball. I think this year was the writing on the wall for Jerome Simpson. Regardless of what round the guy was drafted in, he still hasn't made it onto the field like his WR draftmate Andre Caldwell. Caldwell, who at first I thought could develop into a solid #2, has shown me this year that he's a role player and should not be a starting wide receiver other than having to fill in for a hurt player. I like him as a #3 but that's about it. Coles is not a #2. I can't count how many times our receivers (especially Coles) get their hands on the ball and they don't catch it. Granted, Carson's accuracy this year was something to be desired, but if the ball hits your hands, you have to catch it. Coles, Caldwell... both of them need work. Can Coles get "worked" up? I doubt it... I think this year was the beginning of his end. I am not counting on Coles to contribute much next season. He may not even be on the team at all. Caldwell still has a chance, but I don't see it happening. This takes us to Quan Cosby, who has came on in the late with Henry's injury/death and Coles' inability to become a real threat. However, I don't see him making an impact that this team needs... which is speed/someone to stretch the field.

Overall for the WRs:

Chad = #1
Caldwell = #3
Coles = Done. His play does not reflect his pay. He's out IMO.
Simpson = Bust.
Cosby = Role player.

Some may say the tight end position must get attention, but I disagree. I really like the way J.P. Foschi came on and with the return of Chase Coffman, who will have had about 9 months to pack on some weight and get the game down, I think we'll be fine at tight end.

On defense, I think injuries hurt us more than anything this year... which obviously takes us to depth. We need a safety. We need a safety who can step in and not lose us games like Nelson did this year. WIth the way our safeties hit, injuries are bound to happen. Crocker played great. Ndukwe has some coverage problems, but I think that's because he's to aggressive. The man will be enterting his fourth year, I doubt things are going to change with him. Roy Williams Jr. (of the Cowboys)? We need someone else back there who isn't going to blow coverage and miss tackles. Tom Nelson isn't a player in this league. I like the guy and hope the best for him, but he isn't even backup material, again, in my opinion.

Beside the safety position, I don't think there has to be much of an upgrade. I would take BPA if we were to choose defense outside of the safety spot.

The offense has far too many problems to make this a defensive-heavy draft.

My Draft (minus/plus offseason trades, moves, additional draft picks for lost FAs):

1. [b]Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State/Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU[/b]. These two, especially Bryant, have the ability to be the guy we need... better than Chad. With Carson's inability to his the numbers this year, we need a guy who can body up and still run by you, ala, Brandon Marshall. Dez Bryant is this guy. Brandon LaFell isn't as muscular as Bryant, but he can ctretch the field kinda' like Slim could. We need a WR who can open things up in the worse way.

2. [b]Mike Iupati, G, Idaho/Mike Johnson, G, Alabama[/b]. Powerful road graders. Bobbie Williams-like.

3. [b]Kurt Coleman, S, Ohio State[/b]. I won't know how long this guy is going to last, but if we could pick this guy up here, it would be huge. If we can get another WR or interior offensive lineman via free agency/trade, I wouldn't mind taking Coleman in the 2nd. I'm not even an Ohio State fan... I just like Coleman. He's very capable of coming up and putting you on your ass. I think he fits the Bengals new persona they're trying to establish very well. And he has good hands.

4. [b]Hunter Lawrence, K, Texas[/b]. He was 9/10 last year between the 40 & 49. I don't know about how powerful his leg is, but he sure kicked well in a couple of their close games this year. I'm a fan.

My knowledge of the draft and its upcoming players don't go deep enough yet to really go into "sleepers". I like the Gilyard guy from Cincinnati as a return man, but that's all I think he is. Maybe a DeSean Jackson clone? Speaking of local work, I also like Tony Pike as a pro QB.

Other likables:

[b]Brandon Carter, G, Texas Tech [/b]- Huge, mean man. His measurables are great... but I know nothing of his game except that he seems to really get psyched up for games. It would be fun to watch a guy who looks the way he does.

[b]Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois [/b]- Reminds me of Miles Austin. I wonder if he can run.

[b]Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame[/b] - I don't think we go with Tate as a WR because we need someone who can stretch the field and go up and get it. He's going to be a weapon, but not for our team.

Anyone else have a quick mock? I like to look up highlights of people's "favorites" or "hunches" of guys we'll pick and/or who they think is gonna' make it in the NFL.

I just want a TE that can block and recieve.... A WR that will give us the deep ball threat.... corner, saftey to aid on the D and more likely a guard on the O-line. I would love to see us go after breaston in FA and or Marshall... TE, S, C - 1,2,3 in the draft and 4,5,6 OL help - D line help K in FA or late in the draft like we did with Huber last year. Maybe i am way off....

[quote name='mhfinks' date='10 January 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1263169335' post='855706']
I just want a TE that can block and recieve.... A WR that will give us the deep ball threat.... corner, saftey to aid on the D and more likely a guard on the O-line. I would love to see us go after breaston in FA and or Marshall... TE, S, C - 1,2,3 in the draft and 4,5,6 OL help - D line help K in FA or late in the draft like we did with Huber last year. Maybe i am way off....

[/quote]

whats swank up to?

he has a cool name, and did alright..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 January 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1263168551' post='855689']
i just want denario alexander and a Guard..and a corner/safety
[/quote]
The Missouri reciever? That guy takes strength and speed to a whole new level with his kind of size.

[quote name='Tigris' date='10 January 2010 - 07:16 PM' timestamp='1263168962' post='855697']
Because of how many times you've brought Alexander up, I checked him out... and I like him. However, someone will break him in the NFL... in half.
[/quote]
He's 6'5 and 215? How is that "breakable" ?

[quote name='Tigris' date='10 January 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1263168405' post='855688']
1. [b]Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State[/quote]

Since he didn't get to play much at the end of the year...i can't remember what his route-running is like. He is big and fast which gives us what we are missing...but can he get open in the nfl? Or will he just try and run by people?
If he can run solid routes I think he may be the best choice for us at receiver.

As far as Free Agency and the Draft goes we HAVE to address the Offensive Line.
Of course re-upping Hall and Joseph should be a priority too but they're not
technically free agents yet.

I would not be against taking Lupati in Round 1. Unless of course we picked up
someone decent in Free Agency. A name to toss out there who I believe is going
to be a FA is Eugene Amano, Guard for the Tennessee Titans. He started 15 games
this year for the Titans and 16 the year before that. Nice size 6'3" 310 lbs.
Think he might have played some Center too.

I havent really done a whole lot of research on free agents and the draft as I
have in previous years since we had a good season.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' date='10 January 2010 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1263170214' post='855715']

He's 6'5 and 215? How is that "breakable" ?
[/quote]

i guess randy moss and brandon marshall better be careful before they get WRECKED in the NFL..

both are the same height one 10 lbs heavier and one 5 lbs lighter...

[quote name='Tigris' date='10 January 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1263168405' post='855688']
Good season to build off of... definitely need some improving on offense and special teams. Now, in my opinion, it's time to talk about the most exciting part of the season... the draft!!

In my opinion, I think we need interior offensive line help in the biggest way. Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth have the outsides manned. To me, the pressure that is in Carson's grill is from blitzing up the middle. The backs, especially Leonard, have done a good job of picking up what they can but we need better play out of the C and G positions. Maybe the ability is there but the coaching isn't? Maybe it's the other way around?

Another position of need to wide receiver. Chad Johnson is still a #1 and I think that is enough said. The guy can still play good ball. I think this year was the writing on the wall for Jerome Simpson. Regardless of what round the guy was drafted in, he still hasn't made it onto the field like his WR draftmate Andre Caldwell. Caldwell, who at first I thought could develop into a solid #2, has shown me this year that he's a role player and should not be a starting wide receiver other than having to fill in for a hurt player. I like him as a #3 but that's about it. Coles is not a #2. I can't count how many times our receivers (especially Coles) get their hands on the ball and they don't catch it. Granted, Carson's accuracy this year was something to be desired, but if the ball hits your hands, you have to catch it. Coles, Caldwell... both of them need work. Can Coles get "worked" up? I doubt it... I think this year was the beginning of his end. I am not counting on Coles to contribute much next season. He may not even be on the team at all. Caldwell still has a chance, but I don't see it happening. This takes us to Quan Cosby, who has came on in the late with Henry's injury/death and Coles' inability to become a real threat. However, I don't see him making an impact that this team needs... which is speed/someone to stretch the field.

Overall for the WRs:

Chad = #1
Caldwell = #3
Coles = Done. His play does not reflect his pay. He's out IMO.
Simpson = Bust.
Cosby = Role player.

Some may say the tight end position must get attention, but I disagree. I really like the way J.P. Foschi came on and with the return of Chase Coffman, who will have had about 9 months to pack on some weight and get the game down, I think we'll be fine at tight end.

On defense, I think injuries hurt us more than anything this year... which obviously takes us to depth. We need a safety. We need a safety who can step in and not lose us games like Nelson did this year. WIth the way our safeties hit, injuries are bound to happen. Crocker played great. Ndukwe has some coverage problems, but I think that's because he's to aggressive. The man will be enterting his fourth year, I doubt things are going to change with him. Roy Williams Jr. (of the Cowboys)? We need someone else back there who isn't going to blow coverage and miss tackles. Tom Nelson isn't a player in this league. I like the guy and hope the best for him, but he isn't even backup material, again, in my opinion.

Beside the safety position, I don't think there has to be much of an upgrade. I would take BPA if we were to choose defense outside of the safety spot.

The offense has far too many problems to make this a defensive-heavy draft.

My Draft (minus/plus offseason trades, moves, additional draft picks for lost FAs):

1. [b]Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State/Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU[/b]. These two, especially Bryant, have the ability to be the guy we need... better than Chad. With Carson's inability to his the numbers this year, we need a guy who can body up and still run by you, ala, Brandon Marshall. Dez Bryant is this guy. Brandon LaFell isn't as muscular as Bryant, but he can ctretch the field kinda' like Slim could. We need a WR who can open things up in the worse way.

2. [b]Mike Iupati, G, Idaho/Mike Johnson, G, Alabama[/b]. Powerful road graders. Bobbie Williams-like.

3. [b]Kurt Coleman, S, Ohio State[/b]. I won't know how long this guy is going to last, but if we could pick this guy up here, it would be huge. If we can get another WR or interior offensive lineman via free agency/trade, I wouldn't mind taking Coleman in the 2nd. I'm not even an Ohio State fan... I just like Coleman. He's very capable of coming up and putting you on your ass. I think he fits the Bengals new persona they're trying to establish very well. And he has good hands.

4. [b]Hunter Lawrence, K, Texas[/b]. He was 9/10 last year between the 40 & 49. I don't know about how powerful his leg is, but he sure kicked well in a couple of their close games this year. I'm a fan.

My knowledge of the draft and its upcoming players don't go deep enough yet to really go into "sleepers". I like the Gilyard guy from Cincinnati as a return man, but that's all I think he is. Maybe a DeSean Jackson clone? Speaking of local work, I also like Tony Pike as a pro QB.

Other likables:

[b]Brandon Carter, G, Texas Tech [/b]- Huge, mean man. His measurables are great... but I know nothing of his game except that he seems to really get psyched up for games. It would be fun to watch a guy who looks the way he does.

[b]Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois [/b]- Reminds me of Miles Austin. I wonder if he can run.

[b]Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame[/b] - I don't think we go with Tate as a WR because we need someone who can stretch the field and go up and get it. He's going to be a weapon, but not for our team.

Anyone else have a quick mock? I like to look up highlights of people's "favorites" or "hunches" of guys we'll pick and/or who they think is gonna' make it in the NFL.
[/quote]

Bryant probably won't last that long, and Iupati probably won't last until our 2. I would rather bring in a free agent kicker, rookies are too inconsistent. Coleman in 3 is fine.

Tigris, appreciate the effort you put into your post but don't see it as too realistic.

Bryant is the best WR in the draft and may go top 10. Doubt he makes it to 21 or whatever.

Iupati is the best G and will probably go first round or very early 2nd.

I also disagree with your thoughts about the TE position. Foschi in my opinion did nothing to show that he is anything but a decent journeyman NFL TE. He has no business starting and will never be an impact guy. Do we really know that Coffman isn't Jerome Simpson Jr.?

In my opinion, we need a playmaking TE almost as bad as a WR. I'd go TE 1st (Hernandez or Gresham) and then WR in the 2nd. There are a ton of guys who I like in a deep WR class. I think we can get a guard (Pouncey?) in the 3rd.

Lastly, we may end up with three 3rd round picks....

[quote name='happyrid' date='10 January 2010 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1263172091' post='855746']
Tigris, appreciate the effort you put into your post but don't see it as too realistic.

Bryant is the best WR in the draft and may go top 10. Doubt he makes it to 21 or whatever.

I also disagree with your thoughts about the TE position. Foschi in my opinion did nothing to show that he is anything but a decent journeyman NFL TE. He has no business starting and will never be an impact guy. Do we really know that Coffman isn't Jerome Simpson Jr.?

In my opinion, we need a playmaking TE almost as bad as a WR. I'd go TE 1st (Hernandez or Gresham) and then WR in the 2nd. There are a ton of guys who I like in a deep WR class. I think we can get a guard (Pouncey?) in the 3rd.

[/quote]

i would find it painful to not address the line at ALL in the first two rounds.

[quote name='happyrid' date='10 January 2010 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1263172091' post='855746']

[/quote]

Big difference between Coffman and Simpson. Coffman came from a major college program and is the all time leading receiver at TE in the NCAA. It is also known that he had bone spurs, so was probably unable to play based on that rather than his ability. Simpson came out of a small school and had a much greater transition to the NFL. I would have Coffman focus on getting stronger and work with Reggie (who I think will be back) on his blocking in the offseason. IMO we need a late TE who is a good blocker with receiver upside to groom as Kelly's eventual replacement.

In 1 I like Iupati or Damian Williams as the top of my wish list. In 2 Mike Johnson or maybe Danario Alexander depending on who we took in 1. In 3 I look DT or S depending on Tank and Roy Williams.

[quote name='Tigris' date='10 January 2010 - 07:16 PM' timestamp='1263168962' post='855697']
Because of how many times you've brought Alexander up, I checked him out... and I like him. However, someone will break him in the NFL... in half.
[/quote]

thats what they said about henry and he never got blown up except for 1 random arm breaking from a karate chop master.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='10 January 2010 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1263173226' post='855753']
thats what they said about henry and he never got blown up except for 1 random arm breaking from a karate chop master.
[/quote]

and chris was 15 lbs smaller than alexander.

Since drafting WR's is the biggest gamble, how about trading for one?

We'll be drafting in the early-20's, and guys like Brandon Marshall and Anquan Boldin will be on the trading block.

There's less of a gamble there. One of them could step right in and contribute. Marshall/Boldin, Ochocinco, Coles...could be good.

[quote name='Mu Shu' date='10 January 2010 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1263174958' post='855763']

We'll be drafting in the early-20's, and guys like Brandon Marshall and Anquan Boldin will be on the trading block.

There's less of a gamble there. One of them could step right in and contribute. Marshall/Boldin, Ochocinco, Coles...could be good.
[/quote]

boldin and marshall will cost probably 7-8x more than even our first round pick will..

there is risk both ways, just different kinds.

[quote name='Mu Shu' date='10 January 2010 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1263174958' post='855763']

[/quote]
Who the hell would we trade? You hardly ever see trades like that in the NFL anyway. With the new CBA coming I don't see it happening anytime soon anyway.

Archived