Signs Are There Graham May Be Gone

[b][size="5"]Signs Are There Graham May Be Gone[/size][/b]

[b]By Marc Hardin[/b]Staff reports also contributed
Posted Jan 24, 2010

[b]The Bengals invited former Ohio State Buckeye and New York Jets kicker Mike Nugent to Cincinnati for a tryout last week. But who is the young and untested big-legged kicker the team also has its eye on?

[/b]
It's looking more and more like [url="http://cin.scout.com/a.z?s=117&p=8&c=1&nid=4223513"]Shayne Graham[/url]'s record-setting Bengals career has been kicked to the curb.

The team staged tryouts on Thursday and among those the Bengals reportedly gave invitations to were former Ohio State kicker Mike Nugent, most recently of the Arizona Cardinals; and Brandon Coutu, a former Georgia Bulldog who was one of only two kickers picked by NFL teams in the 2008 draft.

[b]Graham Not So Golden Of Late[/b]

Graham, an unrestricted free agent, has made 85.2 percent of his career field goal attempts, including 82.1 percent (23 of 28) in 2009. He is the most accurate kicker in Bengals history and he ranks among the top five in NFL history in field goal percentage.

But he missed two short field goal attempts in the Bengals' season-ending 24-14 Wild Card playoff loss to the New York Jets.

Some Bengals fans were so upset, one hijacked Graham's Wikipedia page (see link here: [url="http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/glauber-s-nfl-hot-reads-1.811959/bengals-fans-are-naughty-hijack-shayne-graham-s-wikipedia-page-1.1693267)."]http://www.newsday.c...age-1.1693267).[/url]

Though Graham used to be a stand-up guy in similar situations following a tough day, he was not available to the postgame locker room media immediately after the loss to the Jets and left Paul Brown Stadium without comment.

Graham might have shed some light on his status for next season had he stuck around and helped his flagging reputation as a Bengal who holds himself accountable for play on the field. But perhaps this in and of itself is a clue to Graham's status as a Bengal in 2010.

Presumably, it would have been easier for Graham to bolt the press after his two misses against the Jets if he knew he'd never have to speak to the media under those circumstances again. If Graham were in the first year of a new contract after such a poor performance, his conscience might have swayed him to bite the bullet, answer the tough questions and call it a day - a bad day, at that.

Graham didn't do that, and he knows better. For two years he wrote a light-weight guest column for the Cincinnati Post newspaper and talked about how he always wanted to be a journalist and how he understood "the game" between newspaper reporter and athlete. Graham, more than once in those guest columns, mentioned the importance of the professional relationship between reporter and player, for the benefit of the fan.

[b]Nugent Scratching Cat Fever?

[/b] Nugent, a native of Centerville, Ohio, broke or tied 22 Ohio State records, including most career points (356). He made 72 of 88 field goal attempts for 81.8 percent, and 140 of 143 PATs. He was a consensus All-American, won the Lou Groza Award in 2004 as the nation's top kicker, and became the first kicker in Buckeye history to earn team most valuable player.

Nugent was selected by the New York Jets in the second round of the 2005 draft and played four seasons with the team. During the opening game of the 2008 season, Nugent injured his quadriceps following an extra point. The Jets signed Jay Feely, who performed so well he became the Jets' starter. Nugent, who eventually recovered from his injury, was forced to the bench.

An unrestricted free agent in 2009, Nugent signed a one-year contract with Tampa Bay and won the job over Matt Bryant, who was injured. After converting just two of his first six tries (two blocked) through four games with the Buccaneers, Nugent was released on Oct. 5. He worked out for Baltimore on Nov. 10, but was not signed. He eventually signed with Arizona on Dec. 16 as a temporary replacement for the injured Neil Rackers, a former Bengal. Nugent was waived by the Cardinals on January 2. He has a career field goal conversion rate of 79 percent (79 of 100).

[b]Coutu To The Rescue?
[/b]

Coutu was taken by the Seattle Seahawks in the seventh round in 2008, but was waived by the team on September 5, 2009, after having never played in a regular-season game.

At the University of Georgia, Coutu kicked three field goals of over 50 yards, with his his longest going for 58. He made 94 percent of his attempts inside the 40. He never missed a PAT at Georgia and was the first kicker in school history to have over 80 percent field goal accuracy. Coutu, a Georgia native who turned down soccer scholarships at other colleges to be a walk-on for the Georgia football team, wound up being an All-Southeastern Conference pick for the Bulldogs his senior season in 2007.

[b]Good Graham[/b]

Graham, to his credit, has been involved with charity work through Kicks For Kids, a children's charity that was founded by former Bengals kicker Doug Pelfrey which strives to provide opportunities to children at risk in the tri-state area. Graham also worked to gain sponsorship for a program that donated $200 for each of his field goals in 2004 to Cincinnati's FreeStore/FoodBank, and he extended that program to also cover field goals made by the Cincinnati Marshals indoor football team. He built a partnership with the Westin Cincinnati to give deserving children a chance to eat with him at the hotel's gourmet restaurant. He donated proceeds from a local kicking clinic to the YMCA. He also has worked with the Cincinnati Veterans Administration Hospital, the Fraternal Order of Police, and the IHOP Read Across America.

You would think one of the last things Graham wanted was to be found in the cross-hairs of a scrutinizing local press who helped build his reputation as a good guy while reminding fans of his record-setting exploits and spreading the good news about his charity involvement. But Graham might have felt it was easier to stiff the media after the Bengals' final game of the 2009 season if he knew in his heart he wasn't going to be back.

Graham, who turned 32 in December, became such a trusted figure by fans and franchise alike, the Bengals franchise-tagged him when he was a free agent in 2009 with a one-year deal of $2.5 million. The Bengals would have to pay nearly $3 million should they franchise-tag Graham again for 2010.

Ever since joining the Bengals, Graham has had a very successful career. In his first season with the Bengals in 2003, he set a franchise record by making 22 of 25 field goal attempts (88 percent). In 2004, he narrowly missed equaling his previous mark, finishing the year 27 of 31 (87.1 percent). In 2005, Graham made 28 of 32 field goals (87.5 percent), scored a franchise record 131 points, was selected to be the kicker for the AFC Pro Bowl squad, and helped the Bengals record their first winning season since 1990.

Graham was the first kicker in franchise history ever to be selected to play in a Pro Bowl. In 2007, Graham missed his first field goal attempt of the season (a 53-yarder). But he went on to set set a team record by converting 21 consecutive field goals without a miss over the season's first 10 games. This included a performance against Baltimore when he set a Bengals record by kicking seven field goals (the second-highest total in NFL history). By the end of the season, Graham set new franchise records for field goals in a season (31) and field goal percentage (91.2).

[b]Bad Graham[/b]

Graham entered the 2009 postseason with 12 straight converted field goals and had made 17 of his last 18 attempts. But, on January 9, he missed two chip shots against the Jets, including a 28-yard attempt that would have cut the Jets' lead to 24-17 late in the fourth quarter.

Graham has made overtime kicks to win games, most recently on Oct. 4 against the Cleveland Browns, and he has failed on gut-wrenching high-profile attempts, one of the most memorable being a missed field goal late in the 2006 regular-season finale against Pittsburgh, a game the Bengals wound up losing in overtime and one that knocked them out of the playoffs.

Not only did Graham avoid the media at large after the Jets playoff loss, he stiffed a local media that's helped enable his regional popularity, for the umpteenth time; Graham rarely was there in the post-game locker room after home games this season to meet the same folks who were so helpful in carving Graham's positive early reputation, from which his charity work springboarded. When he went M.I.A. after the Jets loss, Graham forced teammates and coaches to speak for him. He made the franchise look bad. Talk about biting hands that feed.

[b]Gone Graham?[/b]

Other clues that lead to the conclusion Graham may be gone include recent comments made by Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis and special teams coach Darrin Simmons, both of whom laid the playoff field goal misses at Graham's feet.

Graham, incidentally enough, is known for his ability to eat massive quantities of food and was considered to be the Bengals' undisputed eating champion. But he may be taking his appetite elsewhere since it appears his playoff performance has been hard to swallow for some key decision-makers.

"Snaps were good. Holds were good. There's no excuse. He picked a hell of a time to have a bad game. It's something the organization has to take a look at," Simmons said in a recently published report. "Obviously, Shayne's been a productive player for seven years and you have to take into account his body of work. It's been solid.

"(But) those were big kicks he missed and he gets paid to make them. We're in a bottom-line business."

[url="http://cin.scout.com/2/940698.html"]http://cin.scout.com/2/940698.html[/url]

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' date='25 January 2010 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1264436091' post='859527']
I got ripped apart last year when I said we were dumb for putting the tag on Graham and we should have let him walk and find a cheap replacement and spend that money else where....O-Lineman. I have been critical of Graham during his time here. I wish him the best.
[/quote]

what linemen exactly?

the only decent FA were getting retarded money...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='25 January 2010 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1264436416' post='859531']
what linemen exactly?

the only decent FA were getting retarded money...
[/quote]
Here are some numbers from the 1st Olineman to go in 2009 FA and Coles numbers. I'm not on either side, just presenting a little more info.

[i]Jason Brown
[/i]5yrs/37.5 mil. 20 mil guaranteed, 11 mil signing bonus

09:4 mil
10:5 mil
11:4 mil

09 Cap hit: 6.2

[i]Stacey Andrews
[/i]6yrs /38.9 mil. 8.72 mil guaranteed, 3 mil roster bonus

10:2.956 (4.1 roster bonus)
11:4.75

[i]Brandon Moore
[/i]4 yrs/18 mil. 10 guaranteed.

[i]John Stinchcomb[/i]
5 yrs/22.5 Mil. 12 guaranteed, 5 signing bonus

[i][u]Coles
[/u][/i]4yrs /27.5 Mil. 9.75 guaranteed, 3 signing bonus

09:1.9 mil (4.7 mil roster bonus)
10:4.6 mil
11:6.4 mil

2009 Cap hit: 7.25 million.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='25 January 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1264443166' post='859563']
Matt Stover is the closest thing to a modern day Jim Breech...

Dude is money from 40 in.....
[/quote]

Jim Breech
13 years 1980-1992
225/313 71.8% (72%)
6/25 from 50+ yards (24%)

Shayne Graham (Bengal years)
7 years 2003-2009
177/204 86.8% (87%)
7-16 from 50+ yards (47%)

Doesn't change the current unfortunate situation...Just sayin...

it was good to see a kicker who had all the pressure on him and very little experience not blow it yesterday...11 attempts all season (missed 1 game winner against TB) and had a season long 38 yarder (career long 47 yarder), but he came up perfect from 40 yards away to send the Saints to the superbowl.

an interesting stat on Graham this year (it was not the case as far as I could find previous years)
Games decided by 7 points or more he had a 85.71% (12/14)
Games decided by 6 or less he had a 68.75% (11/16)

again wasn't the case in previous years, but for some reason kicking in tight games seemed hard for him this year

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' date='25 January 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1264460340' post='859633']
it was good to see a kicker who had all the pressure on him and very little experience not blow it yesterday...
[/quote]

...especially after the commentators repeatedly talk about how much more experience the Viking kicker had.

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' date='25 January 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1264460340' post='859633']
it was good to see a kicker who had all the pressure on him and very little experience not blow it yesterday...11 attempts all season (missed 1 game winner against TB) and had a season long 38 yarder (career long 47 yarder), but he came up perfect from 40 yards away to send the Saints to the superbowl.

an interesting stat on Graham this year (it was not the case as far as I could find previous years)
Games decided by 7 points or more he had a 85.71% (12/14)
Games decided by 6 or less he had a 68.75% (11/16)

again wasn't the case in previous years, but for some reason kicking in tight games seemed hard for him this year
[/quote]

Wonder what that stat is when his snaps are consistent? (Snaps perfect on last two...just wondering what overall would be)

[quote name='Tigris' date='25 January 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1264472328' post='859673']
If you take away bad snaps, playing on the road, the "N" on "NFL" being on sky side, real grass fieds, tropical storms in Brazil, and days where the ground hog didn't see his shadow, Shayne's field goal percentage would probably be 100%.
[/quote]

Yeah, you are funny. I wasn't trying to be a smartass. It was an honest question because I haven't kept up as much this year on all the specifics.

Ignoring the fact he got a bit of a bum deal start to the season is not right and if you don't know it, I can't help you. HE BLEW THE LAST KICKS. Get over it. It doesn't change the fact he's been a hell of a kicker. What is your problem?

[quote name='Tigris' date='25 January 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1264472328' post='859673']
If you take away bad snaps, playing on the road, the "N" on "NFL" being on sky side, real grass fieds, tropical storms in Brazil, and days where the ground hog didn't see his shadow, Shayne's field goal percentage would probably be 100%.
[/quote]

what a completely worthless post to an honest question.

Tigers Johnson: Matt Stover is the closest thing to a modern day Jim Breech...

Dude is money from 40 in.....

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='25 January 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1264456760' post='859627']
Jim Breech
13 years 1980-1992
225/313 71.8% (72%)
6/25 from 50+ yards (24%)

Shayne Graham (Bengal years)
7 years 2003-2009
177/204 86.8% (87%)
7-16 from 50+ yards (47%)

Doesn't change the current unfortunate situation...Just sayin...
[/quote]

Sis,

I think when Tigers compared Breech to Stover, he was talking about the fact that Stover went 3-for-3 in Sunday's playoff game.

Let me break down the stats you just offered in terms of clutchness:

Jim Breech
OT Field Goals: 9/9 100% (NFL Record)
Postseason: 9/11 81.9% (82%) Sixth all-time percentage wise
In 13-year Bengals career, not one miss in the final two minutes of a game where the kick involved a lead change (i.e. Bengals were trailing by three or less points or the kick put the Bengals ahead in a tie game)

Shayne Graham
OT Field Goals: 1/2 50%
Postseason: 1/3 33%
Pittsburgh 2006

I actually want to see Shayne stay. All the crazy fans out there don't realize that kickers are NOT a dime a dozen. Unfortunately they're in a high profile spot. On the other hand, Breech's career proves what making the clutch kicks will do for you, you can miss a few of the other ones and not worry about your job security on your next kick. Shayne's problem is that if he stays with the team, fans are going to call for his head on a platter the first time he misses a kick next season.

Let me make a long story short: Shayne is being Conan O'Brian'ed.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='25 January 2010 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1264471723' post='859671']
Wonder what that stat is when his snaps are consistent? (Snaps perfect on last two...just wondering what overall would be)
[/quote]

all I can give is with St. louis and without

with
close games 50% (3/6)
not close 100% (1/1)

w/o
close 80% (8/10)
not close 85%(11/13)

of course with my definition things the Jets game is considered "not close"

[quote name='Quaker' date='25 January 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1264448811' post='859585']
Here are some numbers from the 1st Olineman to go in 2009 FA and Coles numbers. I'm not on either side, just presenting a little more info.

[i]Jason Brown
[/i]5yrs/37.5 mil. 20 mil guaranteed, 11 mil signing bonus

09:4 mil
10:5 mil
11:4 mil

09 Cap hit: 6.2

[i]Stacey Andrews
[/i]6yrs /38.9 mil. 8.72 mil guaranteed, 3 mil roster bonus

10:2.956 (4.1 roster bonus)
11:4.75

[i]Brandon Moore
[/i]4 yrs/18 mil. 10 guaranteed.

[i]John Stinchcomb[/i]
5 yrs/22.5 Mil. 12 guaranteed, 5 signing bonus

[i][u]Coles
[/u][/i]4yrs /27.5 Mil. 9.75 guaranteed, 3 signing bonus

09:1.9 mil (4.7 mil roster bonus)
10:4.6 mil
11:6.4 mil

2009 Cap hit: 7.25 million.
[/quote]

I never said we could get a lineman just for that money, but we could have put it towards. It would have saved us around 2 mil a year, which we could have used.

Archived