April 29th 1992 - The Rodney King Riots

I was in Barcelona with LT that week. We were there to watch the Ohio Glory play the Barcelona Dragons in the WLAF at Montjuic Olympic Stadium. It was a mere 4 months before the Olympics and the city was electric and festive. I did not hear about the riots until I boarded my return TWA flight and opened my copy of the International Herald Tribune as I took my seat.

I am still traumatized to this day about what I read in the paper that fateful morning.... the Bengals had drafted David Klingler.

[quote name='scharm' date='29 April 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1272572970' post='884955']
I remember watching on TV. Did they really start the morning of the draft? It seemed it was a hot talk show topic for about 2 months afterward.
[/quote]

In the Persian Gulf, doing what I like to refer to as "Long Distance Landscaping".

TOMAHAWK... there is no substitute!

[quote name='scharm' date='29 April 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1272572970' post='884955']
I remember watching on TV. Did they really start the morning of the draft? It seemed it was a hot talk show topic for about 2 months afterward.
[/quote]
I. Don't. Know. I wasn't even on the North American continent at the time. Didn't I mention that? I'm old and forgetful so I might not have. I was too busy trying to figure out why the radio on our rented Citroen car would cut out when the headlights were turned on to keep up with events back home. In my universe, they happened simultaneously.

[quote name='USN Bengal' date='29 April 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1272574433' post='884962']
[/quote]
<--- Oversaw development of the Operational Flight Software the BGM-109C Tomahawk Land Attack Missile - Conventional (TLAM-C), BGM-109D Tomahawk Land Attack Missile - Dispenser (TLAM-D) with submunitions, and RGM/UGM-109E Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM Block IV) - what we called TBIP (Tomahawk Baseline Improvement Program). Was also charged with development of the Tomahawk Test and Evaluation Master Plan and coordinated all of the program's Developmental and Operational Testing, including the Operational Test Launch program. All of this was during my stint at PMA-280 and PEO(W)-CT (the Cruise Test Directorate) at NAVAIR Headquarters, NAS Patuxent River, from 1997-2004. It makes me happy to this day to know that we made a difference in the lives of so many Sailors, Airmen, Soldiers and Marines.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Tomahawk_Block_IV_cruise_missile.jpg/300px-Tomahawk_Block_IV_cruise_missile.jpg[/img]
Lord, ain't she beautiful?

I am a proud Tomahawker (and have a scroll from the Big Kahuna to prove it.)

From the Tomahawk program.... you're more than welcome. :)

April 29th 1992,
There was a riot on the streets,
Tell me where were you?
You were sittin' home watchin' your TV,
While I was paticipatin' in some anarchy.

First spot we hit it was my liqour store.
I finally got all that alcohol I can't afford.
With red lights flashin' time to retire,
And then we turned that liquor store into a structure fire.

Next stop we hit it was the music shop,
It only took one brick to make that window drop.
Finally we got our own p.a.
Where do you think I got this guitar that you're hearing today?
Hey!

When we returned to the pad to unload everything,
It dawned on me that I need new home furnishings.
So once again we filled the van until it was full,
Since that day my livin' room's been more comfortable.

Cause everybody in the hood has had it up to here,
It's getting harder and harder and harder each and every year.

Some kids went in a store with thier mother,
I saw her when she came out she was gettin some pampers.

They said it was for the black man,
They said it was for the mexican,
And not for the white man.

But if you look at the streets it wasn't about Rodney King,
It's bout this fucked up situation and these fucked up police.
It's about coming up and staying on top
And screamin' 187 on a mother fuckin' cop.
It's not written on the paper it's on the wall.
National guard??!
Smoke from all around,

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='29 April 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1272576017' post='884979']
^ what does any of that crap have to do about us drafting David Klingler?
[/quote]

April 29th 1992. Its Sublimes fan song about Cincinnati's draft.

[quote name='big_dish' date='29 April 2010 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1272575793' post='884978']
April 29th 1992,
There was a riot on the streets,
Tell me where were you?
You were sittin' home watchin' your TV,
While I was paticipatin' in some anarchy.

First spot we hit it was my liqour store.
I finally got all that alcohol I can't afford.
With red lights flashin' time to retire,
And then we turned that liquor store into a structure fire.

Next stop we hit it was the music shop,
It only took one brick to make that window drop.
Finally we got our own p.a.
Where do you think I got this guitar that you're hearing today?
Hey!

When we returned to the pad to unload everything,
It dawned on me that I need new home furnishings.
So once again we filled the van until it was full,
Since that day my livin' room's been more comfortable.

Cause everybody in the hood has had it up to here,
It's getting harder and harder and harder each and every year.

Some kids went in a store with thier mother,
I saw her when she came out she was gettin some pampers.

They said it was for the black man,
They said it was for the mexican,
And not for the white man.

But if you look at the streets it wasn't about Rodney King,
It's bout this fucked up situation and these fucked up police.
It's about coming up and staying on top
And screamin' 187 on a mother fuckin' cop.
It's not written on the paper it's on the wall.
National guard??!
Smoke from all around,
[/quote]

That's the funniest shit I've read in weeks. Thank you for that.

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='29 April 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1272575035' post='884967']
<--- Oversaw development of the Operational Flight Software the BGM-109C Tomahawk Land Attack Missile - Conventional (TLAM-C), BGM-109D Tomahawk Land Attack Missile - Dispenser (TLAM-D) with submunitions, and RGM/UGM-109E Tomahawk Land Attack Missile (TLAM Block IV) - what we called TBIP (Tomahawk Baseline Improvement Program). Was also charged with development of the Tomahawk Test and Evaluation Master Plan and coordinated all of the program's Developmental and Operational Testing, including the Operational Test Launch program. All of this was during my stint at PMA-280 and PEO(W)-CT (the Cruise Test Directorate) at NAVAIR Headquarters, NAS Patuxent River, from 1997-2004. It makes me happy to this day to know that we made a difference in the lives of so many Sailors, Airmen, Soldiers and Marines.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Tomahawk_Block_IV_cruise_missile.jpg/300px-Tomahawk_Block_IV_cruise_missile.jpg[/img]
Lord, ain't she beautiful?

I am a proud Tomahawker (and have a scroll from the Big Kahuna to prove it.)

From the Tomahawk program.... you're more than welcome. :)
[/quote]

Knew there was a reason I liked you Amish... besides being a fellow Bengals fan and all!

I love the sound of WHOOSH... and then a boom far far away.

[quote name='Patmo' date='29 April 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1272583771' post='885008']
Rodney King was a bad day but Klingler was a catastrphohe.
[/quote]

I bet if you gave Reginald Denny the choice of his team selecting Klinger or having his head bashed in...He'd probably have to think about it, but in the end he would had Klingler as his QB.

[quote name='USN Bengal' date='29 April 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1272574433' post='884962']
In the Persian Gulf, doing what I like to refer to as "Long Distance Landscaping".

[/quote]

What do Marines have to do with Tomahawks? I thought that was a Navy thing.

[quote name='USN Bengal' date='29 April 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1272579337' post='884997']
Knew there was a reason I liked you Amish... besides being a fellow Bengals fan and all!

I love the sound of WHOOSH... and then a boom far far away.
[/quote]
I was stationed on the USS Merrill, a Spruance class destroyer in San Diego from 1985-1988. We were the test platform for the tomahawk missile.

[quote name='SF2' date='29 April 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1272587545' post='885025']
[/quote]

Ummm... it IS a Navy thing. I'm a retired Chief Fire Controlman.

Bengal27 - I was on the USS Seattle, a Spruance class too (the USS Caron DD-970), the USS Kidd, and the USS Yortown

First weekend back after eight months in Desert Shield/ Storm, so no, I don't remember much. But the floor was covered with empties. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/36.gif[/img][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/1062.gif[/img]

[quote name='ArmyBengal' date='29 April 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1272592630' post='885034']
First weekend back after eight months in Desert Shield/ Storm, so no, I don't remember much. But the floor was covered with empties. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/36.gif[/img][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/1062.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Bottles, babes, or both?

[quote name='USN Bengal' date='29 April 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1272593633' post='885037']
Bottles, babes, or both?
[/quote]

got divorced the first day back, so yeah a bit of both. Had some gals from the Lamplighter Lounge in the same apartment complex. They were paying their respects to a returning hero.

[quote name='ArmyBengal' date='29 April 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1272594042' post='885040']
got divorced the first day back, so yeah a bit of both. Had some gals from the Lamplighter Lounge in the same apartment complex. They were paying their respects to a returning hero.
[/quote]
SWEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... and well earned I'm sure.

[quote name='ArmyBengal' date='29 April 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1272594042' post='885040']
Had some gals from the Lamplighter Lounge in the same apartment complex. They were paying their respects to a returning hero.
[/quote]

Amish, does the Tomahawk work for eradicating The Clap?

[quote name='SF2' date='29 April 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1272587545' post='885025']
[/quote]

Marines=Navy=GAY.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bunghole

Archived