Reds Deliver, Fans' Turn Now!

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='19 May 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1274301970' post='889350']
Of course I realize that but you still dont get what we are talking about...we were talking about people who chose not to go to games for the only reason being they are waiting for the other shoe to drop.
[/quote]

I think they both go hand in hand, people are tightening the belt want to know that when they do splurge that what they are splurging on is a good product.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='19 May 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1274303687' post='889353']
I think they both go hand in hand, people are tightening the belt want to know that when they do splurge that what they are splurging on is a good product.
[/quote]

And in that situation I can understand...but my whole point was if you can afford to and the ONLY reason you arent going to games is because you think the other shoe will drop and youve seen this happen before and you dont wanna go unless you know the team is going to be good...then you are a fair weather fan almost by definition.

• 2 weeks later...
I consider myself a bandwagon fan of the Reds. I've been 3 times this season. I'll try to maybe get 3 more. Went Thursday (against Pirates), first time I went without free tickets for a long, long, long time. The worst crowd I've seen in a while for anything.

But not to ruin the indepth debate about bandwagon fans. Attendance is the way it is for this reason:

Reds are and always been a regional draw. To get good numbers they need fans from Indy, Lexington, Louisville, Columbus, and Charleston to make the trip. There was 0 interest in the offseason. April was looking like a horrible season. May was awesome. So now people a looking at the June and July home stands and the money will come out and numbers will increase. A ton of games are on TV so it's easy for people to put the $$$$$ away when the team isn't generating a buzz.

This great debate happens every year when the Reds are on an upswing. I'm sorry, you can't suffer during the offseason in term of ticket sales then expect "walk up" sales to instantly produce respectable numbers. Reds will have to carry this upswing longer and further into the season, make Reds games the no.1 option of things to do in the summer and they'll sell more in the offseason. Fade in June and be an after thought when Bengals training camp opens and this discussion will come again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/01/finally-a-uptick/"][size="5"][b]Finally an uptick[/b][/size][/url]
Posted by [email="johnfayman@aol.com"]jfay[/email] July 1st, 2010, 9:41 am

One of the Philly writers turned to me before the first game of the series and said: "They're in first place, right?"

He had just taken a look at the crowd.

"This isn't bad," I said. "They've been awful so far."

The Reds drew 22,090 that night, which to that point wasn't bad considering the previous crowds.

We may have seen a change in the trend. The Reds did better the last two games of the series. They drew 26,679 with 8,097 walk-ups Tuesday and 27,245 with 6,178 walk-ups yesterday.

That put their average at 22,850. That's up slightly from last year's overall average of 21,579. But it's down from last year's average after 46 dates of 24,904.

I think the one thing the Reds can be encouraged about is they've seen an uptick over the last three week-day series:

–The average for June 7-10 Giants series was 16,352 with a low of 13,011.

–The average for the June 15-17 Dodgers series was 23,769 with a low of 22,639.

–The average for the Phillies series was 25,338.

Will the trend continue?

If the Reds continue to win.

If they can put together a decent road trip, they'll convert some more skeptical fans.

I don't think they can do anymore as far as marketing or promotions.

I've written it a thousand times: Cincinnati loves a winner and ignores a loser. Look at UC football and basketball as case studies in that.

The Reds don't have another home game until July 16.

What will it take to get you there?

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/01/finally-a-uptick/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/01/finally-a-uptick/[/url]

They are always a region draw. They suck for years. Nobody talked about them in the offseason except maybe to say they'll suck again. They had a crappy April.

It takes time for people to pull the money out and free up the calendar to bump attendance to levels you'd expect for a winner.

They didn't sell shit in the offseason. Big task to expect walk ups to get you to the mid 30K on average.

• 3 weeks later...
[b][url="http://twitter.com/jcrasnick"][color="#0a0501"]jcrasnick[/color][/url][/b] [url=""][color="#0a0501"] [/color][/url] Reds are 21st in MLB in attendance and on pace to draw 1.9M w/a contending club. Doesn't sound like the baseball-mad town I remember.
[url="http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/19008472220"][color="#0a0501"]about 5 hours ago[/color][/url] via web Retweeted by [url="http://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][color="#0a0501"]LanceMcAlister[/color][/url] and 6 others

[quote name='oldschooler' date='20 July 2010 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1279662869' post='897887']
[b][url="http://twitter.com/jcrasnick"][color="#0a0501"]jcrasnick[/color][/url][/b] [url=""][color="#0a0501"] [/color][/url] Reds are 21st in MLB in attendance and on pace to draw 1.9M w/a contending club. Doesn't sound like the baseball-mad town I remember.
[url="http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/19008472220"][color="#0a0501"]about 5 hours ago[/color][/url] via web Retweeted by [url="http://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][color="#0a0501"]LanceMcAlister[/color][/url] and 6 others
[/quote]

I was at the game Saturday and it was a mad house...even standing room only sold out.

Im guessing if we finish strong and are in the hunt till the end, we'll pick up a better pace then we are heading towards now.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='20 July 2010 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1279663777' post='897890']
I was at the game Saturday and it was a mad house...even standing room only sold out.

Im guessing if we finish strong and are in the hunt till the end, we'll pick up a better pace then we are heading towards now.
[/quote]

Saturday was a special event though. Crowds at "normal" games have been small.

[quote name='Jason' date='21 July 2010 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1279729652' post='898080']
Saturday was a special event though. Crowds at "normal" games have been small.
[/quote]

yea I read something on a national site the other day about the reds selling out games in July, and then you look at last nights game and the outfield is 2/3 empty.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='21 July 2010 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1279730121' post='898088']
yea I read something on a national site the other day about the reds selling out games in July, and then you look at last nights game and the outfield is 2/3 empty.
[/quote]

Thats cause there was like a 3 hour rain delay and everyone left.

But yeah crowds havent been great. But once again if we are still in it in August and September more people will show up.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='21 July 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1279732327' post='898102']
then its a good thing I was talking about before the rain delay.
[/quote]

Gotcha. Well im sure the forecast didnt help matters much.

Either way, im not trying to defend the crowds, just saying that if/when we are in the hunt in August and September our crowds should get better and better.

I havent seen the stats, but it seems like our crowds have been getting better and better as the season has gone on, but in a weekday series against the shitty nationals with rain in the forecast every game isnt gonna help matters.

Also I bet tonights crowd will be pretty solid.

Jesus..they just showed GABP on ESPN and the Reds store has Strasburg shirts. What the fuck? I understand he is the next greatest thing, but kids need to be buying Joey Votto or Mike Leake shirts, not Strasburg.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='21 July 2010 - 07:18 PM' timestamp='1279754286' post='898182']
First wednesday sellout since 2006, 2nd sellout in 5 games.

Just saying...
[/quote]

Hall of Fame/Sabo Bobble head and Strassburg.

Yesterday's attendance was under 23,000.

[quote name='JC' date='21 July 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1279749806' post='898167']
Jesus..they just showed GABP on ESPN and the Reds store has Strasburg shirts. What the fuck? I understand he is the next greatest thing, but kids need to be buying Joey Votto or Mike Leake shirts, not Strasburg.
[/quote]

They had Strasburg sections at a few road games hes pitched.

[quote name='CTA513' date='21 July 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1279756007' post='898194']
They had Strasburg sections at a few road games hes pitched.
[/quote]
I just don't understand. If the Bengals had a Roethlisberger section in PBS, there would be brawls.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='21 July 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1279759402' post='898211']
Right what?

Do you not think thats true? Theyve said it on tv like 6 times.
[/quote]

Jason pretty much nailed it.

The Reds team isn't selling out crowds. Promotions and other teams players are.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='21 July 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1279759566' post='898212']
Jason pretty much nailed it.

The Reds team isn't selling out crowds. Promotions and other teams players are.
[/quote]

All i was doing was stating facts. Not inferring anything by them.

You can't suck for years and expect attendance to pick up when they are suddenly good especially when a ton of games are on TV.

This year they will not recover to have a good overall attendance number you would expect for a contending team.

You'll see the bump next year because they will sell more during the offseason. Too much shit to do and compete with schedules to have walkup sales save your season.

Archived