If the Bengals moved out of town

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1288626356' post='936318']
Actually, the scary thing is that when other teams have losing coaches, they get replaced ... just sayin'.
[/quote]

the problem here is coaches are too comfortable with their jobs. (extend a guy that sux) If your job is secured then you won't care as much versus your always on the go to impress your boss! just sayin. im not goin to stop rooting, but I am now realizing what kind of team we are (The SUX)

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1288626482' post='936320']

[b]But if the Bengals leave, there is no way in hell Cincinnati will ever get another NFL franchise. [/b] The market is too small and there are too many attractive cities screaming for an NFL team. Cincinnati would end up getting the occasional Cleveland Browns preseason game and that would pretty much be it.

[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding!

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1288626856' post='936325']
the problem here is coaches are too comfortable with their jobs. (extend a guy that sux) If your job is secured then you won't care as much versus your always on the go to impress your boss! just sayin. im not goin to stop rooting, but I am now realizing what kind of team we are (The SUX)
[/quote]

i agree, perhaps zimmer shouldnt ahve been extended?

i know youre not stupid enough to think the OC that took a total shit offense, emplimented the power line, and orchestrated 5-6 comeback drives to sweet the division and make the playoffs should be fired..

just give up your season tickets again already...

watch the steelers.... their dumbass fans wanted to fire their OC last year, too.. the one who has managed to have them 5-2 in first palce having 3 different starting QB's this season..

its foolish howmuch power fans put in coordinators hands.. they are only as good as the players they have...

is bob running the wrong routes?
is bob not blocking for palmer?
is bob not blocking for benson? (25% OF HIS RUNS WERE TACKLES FOR LOSS OR NO GAIN YESTERDAY)
is bob dropping passes all year?
is bob false starting?
is bob standing there looking at his nuts while the rest of the team is lined up to spike the ball for a FG before the half?
is bob fumbling the ball on comeback drives?

is mike not covering the TE at all?
is mike not covering your man while spying into the backfield?
is mike missing tackles?
is mike running in slow motion on a blitz?
is mike tackling the RB 5 yards down field and then doing air guitar?
is mike not covering the RB in the flat or letting them catch it for 7 yards and then doing air guitar?

is simmons not protecting on kick returns getting scott tackled at the fucking 12?
is simmons not blocking on punt returns making our two returners 40th and 44th before yesterday(prob lower now)?
is simmons letting the opposing teams start on kickoffs be the 30 all day?
is simmons holding on kick returns and punt returns backing us up once or twice a game?

FIRE EM ALL!!!!!

would it be a little more common sense to look at the actual COACHES for the position groups making the mental errors and mental mistakes? those are coaching issues
and maybe look the lack of talent in some areas and not have unrealistic expectations of those players? like playing well... is probably something shitty players arent going to do....

NAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

fuck it.. i want to be brainless in it soo.. FIRE THE HC AND OC AND DC... ROAR!!!!!! IM ANGRY SO I MUST BE CORRECT!!!! ROAR!!!!

[quote name='BengalsRZ' timestamp='1288623141' post='936301']
I don't live in Cincinnati and I never have. I don't even really know why I'm a Bengals fan, I just got attached to them when I was young and carried it on ever since.

I don't care if they relocated to the other side of the country, I'm a Bengals fan for life.
[/quote]

x2

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1288629763' post='936344']
i agree, perhaps zimmer shouldnt ahve been extended?

i know youre not stupid enough to think the OC that took a total shit offense, emplimented the power line, and orchestrated 5-6 comeback drives to sweet the division and make the playoffs should be fired..

just give up your season tickets again already...

watch the steelers.... their dumbass fans wanted to fire their OC last year, too.. the one who has managed to have them 5-2 in first palce having 3 different starting QB's this season..

its foolish howmuch power fans put in coordinators hands.. they are only as good as the players they have...

is bob running the wrong routes?
is bob not blocking for palmer?
is bob not blocking for benson? (25% OF HIS RUNS WERE TACKLES FOR LOSS OR NO GAIN YESTERDAY)
is bob dropping passes all year?
is bob false starting?
is bob standing there looking at his nuts while the rest of the team is lined up to spike the ball for a FG before the half?
is bob fumbling the ball on comeback drives?

is mike not covering the TE at all?
is mike not covering your man while spying into the backfield?
is mike missing tackles?
is mike running in slow motion on a blitz?
is mike tackling the RB 5 yards down field and then doing air guitar?
is mike not covering the RB in the flat or letting them catch it for 7 yards and then doing air guitar?

is simmons not protecting on kick returns getting scott tackled at the fucking 12?
is simmons not blocking on punt returns making our two returners 40th and 44th before yesterday(prob lower now)?
is simmons letting the opposing teams start on kickoffs be the 30 all day?
is simmons holding on kick returns and punt returns backing us up once or twice a game?

FIRE EM ALL!!!!!

would it be a little more common sense to look at the actual COACHES for the position groups making the mental errors and mental mistakes? those are coaching issues
and maybe look the lack of talent in some areas and not have unrealistic expectations of those players? like playing well... is probably something shitty players arent going to do....

NAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

fuck it.. i want to be brainless in it soo.. FIRE THE HC AND OC AND DC... ROAR!!!!!! IM ANGRY SO I MUST BE CORRECT!!!! ROAR!!!!
[/quote]

Um, I don't know how long it will take you to notice this trend, but coaches get fired all the time for player performance. I don't recall Rod Marinelli missing any tackles, throwing any pick six's, whiffing on blocks, missing field goals.... etc.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1288630925' post='936352']
Um, I don't know how long it will take you to notice this trend, but coaches get fired all the time for player performance. I don't recall Rod Marinelli missing any tackles, throwing any pick six's, whiffing on blocks, missing field goals.... etc.
[/quote]

I too am curious as to when you hold a coach accountable for zero playoff wins in 8 seasons. Of course the coach doesn't cause the offensive line to jump offsides every other down, or cause the QB to throw interceptions. Of course a coach can only do what he can with the pieces he is given. However, that is the way it is EVERYWHERE.

I just don't see how you don't hold a coach responsible for the end result of their team. When the team l ast year played so well and went to the playoffs, the coach was a genius. The coach didn't complete the passes. The coach didn't run for 100 yards a game. The coach didn't sack anyone once.

Using this logic, it doesn't matter who your coach is, because the players are responsible for all of the plays.

Is Marvin a horrible coach? Absolutely not. Is he a miracle worker? Absolutely not. However, he chose a field to work in where you are traditionally judged by how well your team does every year. If you areo going to reward the guy when the team does well by offering him new and longer contracts, doesn't it also fall that he should take responsibility when the team fails to do so?

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1288626482' post='936320']
If the Bengals moved to a different city, I would no longer give a damn about them. I was a diehard Cincinnati Royals NBA fan before the team was moved to Kansas City. Once they left, they were dead to me.

But if the Bengals leave, there is no way in hell Cincinnati will ever get another NFL franchise. The market is too small and there are too many attractive cities screaming for an NFL team. Cincinnati would end up getting the occasional Cleveland Browns preseason game and that would pretty much be it.

So the question you have to ask yourself is:
[b][size="6"]
Is it better to have a lousy football team that has an occasional winning season or NO FOOTBALL TEAM AT ALL?[/size][/b]
[/quote]

I think Cincinnati, with its' state of the art football stadium would be an attractive location for many teams that don't have one. I agree that the market is relatively small, but from a franchise owners' perspective there could be worse places to go.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1288630925' post='936352']
[/quote]

point being.. marvin, bob and mike arnet the issue.. all of the above has had great success with decent talent.. and those in control are smart enough to be a dumbass trigger happy fool who fires a coach with bad players for not magically making them play awesome..

if you are incapable of getting the proper staff under you and getting the proper players in a reasonable amount of time after a utter collapse of a unit (LB, OL, both untimely collapse after being built to awesomeness) ... i'd say 2011 is probably do or die time..

marvin spoke wisely about his 3 year plan when he arrived here, and in his 3rd year he build the LB, the OL, etc in place and won the division, the next year the LB collapsed to hell, the oline went down a little due to injury as well, in 2007 the line went to 100% shit, and the rebuild of the LB's began with rivers pick in the first, so you are essentially back into your 3 year plan on rebuilding the team as a whole, youve grabb some great CB's, etc.. so depending when you start the rebuild/collapse either after the 2006 or after 2007 season, both equally as shocking of injury suckiness, willie went to shit, levi went to shit, braham was lost, steinbach bounced for 50 mil, .. i go with 2006 offseason being the utter collapse, so the 3 year plan, puts you in 2009, managed to, with bad talent on the line, plan a good enough offense out of shit performance from the line, TE's, WR's to sweet the division with a power line run game and "when you have to" pass game"..

i dont feel we are in utter collapse, while the record may look like it, its just as easy to go from 6-10 to 10-6 as it is go go from 10-6 to 6-10 (our possible record this year).. fix the line, give palmer time and the offense a shot to open up and run normally and pass normally..

there is reality to everything..

and shock value phrasing and bitching arent reality and arent going to change reality..

"coaches get fired al lthe time for players not performing"

not as often as players get cut for it... and only if coaches make horrible draft choices over and over (see detroits WR debacle, etc) we have some picks collapse, but it was changes in league rules AFTER the pick and freak injuries that caused them.. not just poor picks in general...(except maybe andre, and simpson in retrospect)

luckily for marvin, bob, mike and the brngals, fickle blowhard overly emotional shock value opinionated fans dont make any decisions..

we would be on our 5th OC, 5th DC, and 9th head coach by now if it were up to fans..

and dani jones would be our franchise MLB and kyle cook and mathis(best guard in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!!!1111111) would start on the oline for the next decade...

im glad someone smarter is in charge and changes in personnel are likely on the horizon in the offseason..

we fixed TE and helped WR into the right place in the offseason.. more steps to success this offseason...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1288622595' post='936300']
something to smile about every 20 years eh?

winning the division 2 out of the last 5 years, and 2003 was a really fun seasonas i didnt see a single game in 2002..., so not just because of the previous one, we were a browns win and revens? loss away from palyoffs..as i didnt see a single game in 2002...

so thats 3 out of the last 6 that were entertaining..2006 and 2007 were decent, had some exciting games and lost out of the playoffs RIIGHT at the end of the year with missed FG and botched OT.. so id say being in a playoff hunt until the last 2-3 weeks is a decent year.. thats 4 of 6..

2008 sucked ass, but i still had fun going to games, and going to cleveland in the retardedly cold weather, last year wasnt amazingly exciting but it was a division sweep and playoff birth...

this is a suck ass year, thre will be some excitement and some good games.. hell every game except the patriots and panthers has been pretty exciting 1-1 inthe division, MNF coming up.. we wont be seeing any playoffs,

if all you gain out of watching football is geting deep into the playoffs.. find another hobby, cuase few teams doing it often, and no teams do it all the time.

[b]steelers fans last year got swept by us and beat by the browns who sucked huge ass... wonder if they had threads about the team moving out of the city...[/b]

wish the bengals would move.. its my last reason to go to cincinnati besides some good pizza and a few family members there...

so many fans bitch when we win and bitch when we lose... whats the point of even watching? no one is making you. get sunday ticket and pick a new team..no one will notice.
[/quote]

I don't think the Steelers comparison is very realistic considering they have won 2 Superbowls since Palmer has been in Cincy.

Are we on the longest drought without a playoff win? If not, we have to be close. There is no way to say that is not the sign of a sorry team/franchise----especially when you have one of the highest paid QB's in the league.

[quote name='Jungle1' timestamp='1288634131' post='936384']
I don't think the Steelers comparison is very realistic considering they have won 2 Superbowls since Palmer has been in Cincy.

Are we on the longest drought without a playoff win? If not, we have to be close. There is no way to say that is not the sign of a sorry team/franchise----especially when you have one of the highest paid QB's in the league.
[/quote]

the playoffs are a different monster all together.. winning the division and then sweeping hte division isnt the tale of a sorry franchise..

again, if you are still pissed about 10-20 years ago... youre doing it wrong...

its football, its for entertainment.. not life fullfillment, to continue doing a hobby/passed time that you dislike is foolish.

everyone wants their team to win.. not everyones team can win..

bengals called the shitty city/county on its bullshit offering to give a pile of millions back out of the stadium deal if they can leave in 2017, and got NO RESPONSE.. shocking....

the city/county/ and seemingly a large amount of the fans dont deserve an nfl team and dont appreciate it..
more than 10% of the league has NEVER been to a superbowl... bengals ahve been to 2?

4 nfl teams, the cowboys, steelers, broncos, and patriots account for 27 of the 88 ever superbowl appearences..

3 of those being AFC teams.. so of the 41 shots of superbowls the bengals had, they made it twice, and 3 teams made it 19 of the other times..

i realize for some reason the bengals are expected to be a dominating collasal nfl powerhouse franchise by fans... its pretty unlikely.. so either be happy with the successes to DO get or move on... whats the point in being pissed al lthe time?

what the fucking point?

the bills wenr to like 4 straight superbowls and lost them all and are one of the sorriest franchises of the last decade...

shit happens and it happens in waves..

if the bengals were in first place right now.. or say 3 more wins, 5-2, all these same fans would be saying how turned around the franchise is and if you polled we would nt contenders for a long time coming.. but 3 game difference in record and the team needs to leave the city everyone needs fired one of the worse franchises EVER and suckass forever, everyone sucks the team will never win, biggest streak of no playoff win blah blah blah...

fans have no conept of parity, the new orleans saints ahve been one of the most pathetic organizations EVER.. and just won the SB.. we have been to twice as many...

but pissy fans ignore the history that has success and bring up the history that has losing.. they also ignore the recent success..

why do dubmass crybaby fans ignore recent success, ignore past success, and dwell on the spal of horrible play?

its over.. we are still currently the AFCN champs.. no one has officially dethroned us yet..obviously they will, but not the point..

but the entire organization is trash and fucking blow?

what a shit fanbase.

[quote name='Jim Finklestein' timestamp='1288632312' post='936363']
I too am curious as to when you hold a coach accountable for zero playoff wins in 8 seasons. Of course the coach doesn't cause the offensive line to jump offsides every other down, or cause the QB to throw interceptions. Of course a coach can only do what he can with the pieces he is given. However, that is the way it is EVERYWHERE.

I just don't see how you don't hold a coach responsible for the end result of their team. When the team l ast year played so well and went to the playoffs, the coach was a genius. The coach didn't complete the passes. The coach didn't run for 100 yards a game. The coach didn't sack anyone once.

Using this logic, it doesn't matter who your coach is, because the players are responsible for all of the plays.

Is Marvin a horrible coach? Absolutely not. Is he a miracle worker? Absolutely not. However, he chose a field to work in where you are traditionally judged by how well your team does every year. If you areo going to reward the guy when the team does well by offering him new and longer contracts, doesn't it also fall that he should take responsibility when the team fails to do so?
[/quote]

coach is held accountable for teams performance.. and currently the coach has won 40% of the last 5 years AFCN championships..

thats why he has a contract extension on the table..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1288633354' post='936374']
point being.. marvin, bob and mike arnet the issue.. all of the above has had great success with decent talent.. and those in control are smart enough to be a dumbass trigger happy fool who fires a coach with bad players for not magically making them play awesome..

[b]if you are incapable of getting the proper staff under you and getting the proper players in a reasonable amount of time after a utter collapse of a unit (LB, OL, both untimely collapse after being built to awesomeness) ... i'd say 2011 is probably do or die time..

marvin spoke wisely about his 3 year plan when he arrived here, and in his 3rd year he build the LB, the OL, etc in place and won the division, the next year the LB collapsed to hell, the oline went down a little due to injury as well, in 2007 the line went to 100% shit, and the rebuild of the LB's began with rivers pick in the first, so you are essentially back into your 3 year plan on rebuilding the team as a whole, youve grabb some great CB's, etc.. so depending when you start the rebuild/collapse either after the 2006 or after 2007 season, both equally as shocking of injury suckiness, willie went to shit, levi went to shit, braham was lost, steinbach bounced for 50 mil, .. i go with 2006 offseason being the utter collapse, so the 3 year plan, puts you in 2009, managed to, with bad talent on the line, plan a good enough offense out of shit performance from the line, TE's, WR's to sweet the division with a power line run game and "when you have to" pass game"..

i dont feel we are in utter collapse, while the record may look like it, its just as easy to go from 6-10 to 10-6 as it is go go from 10-6 to 6-10 (our possible record this year).. fix the line, give palmer time and the offense a shot to open up and run normally and pass normally..[/b]

there is reality to everything..

and shock value phrasing and bitching arent reality and arent going to change reality..

"coaches get fired al lthe time for players not performing"

not as often as players get cut for it... and only if coaches make horrible draft choices over and over (see detroits WR debacle, etc) we have some picks collapse, but it was changes in league rules AFTER the pick and freak injuries that caused them.. not just poor picks in general...(except maybe andre, and simpson in retrospect)

luckily for marvin, bob, mike and the brngals, fickle blowhard overly emotional shock value opinionated fans dont make any decisions..

we would be on our 5th OC, 5th DC, and 9th head coach by now if it were up to fans..

and dani jones would be our franchise MLB and kyle cook and mathis(best guard in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!!!1111111) would start on the oline for the next decade...

im glad someone smarter is in charge and changes in personnel are likely on the horizon in the offseason..

we fixed TE and helped WR into the right place in the offseason.. more steps to success this offseason...
[/quote]

Your comments got me thinking....how much longer do we have a window of opportunity? Marvin spoke of a 3 year plan, but that included Carson. Without a QB, it may be tough to build a team in 3 years. How many teams win playoff games, let alone a Superbowl, without an above average or elite QB? The Ravens seem to be the only recent exception.

So, if Carson is still above average or elite, how many years are left? With the beating he is taking, I am assuming 2-4 years.

If Carson has 2-4 years left, how many problems need to be fixed in that window....

Offense
Bobbie is aging
TO probably gone
Chad looks to be slowing down
Ced in contract year
Livings/Mathis need upgrade
Not sure about Andre
Is Kyle Cook good enough?

Defense
Line is mediocre at best---no pass rush
Dhani needs replaced
Can we sign both CBs?
Crocker/Williams aging and are poor in pass coverage

Can we get this done in 2-4 years? If not and you want a new coaching staff to shake things up, the next couple years may be the best time to make a change.

[quote name='Smizno' timestamp='1288620164' post='936274']
Hypothetically speaking......if the Bengals moved out of town and we got a whole new Franchise top to bottom, would you be happy. Some of you homers can defend the "Bengals" all you want but numbers don't lie.....these Motherfuckers suck! At what point do you say enough is enough. Or do you keep on defending a team that gives you something to smile at once every 20 years?
[/quote]

First off, if the Bengals leave you better start going to UC games because Cincinnati isn't getting another franchise. Cleveland and Baltimore did because of the history of those franchises, we don't have that history. So secondly, it's either follow the team I used to love playing somewhere else, or follow someone else, somewhere else. If the colors stay the same, I'd probably keep the Bengals. I already got paraphanelia!!

Marvin is probably gone, and not because "OMG HE SUX", but because he's tired of being booed for sending out the punter when they are on their own 30 etc etc & answering stupid pointed questions from the local dickhead writers. In other words, I think he's counting the days to get the fuck outta here & I don't blame him. I hope he finds a situation where he can excel because I really get the feeling he is having to butt heads with the owner and other coaches over fundamentals.. Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like this team has too many chefs in the kitchen.

The one thing I really don't understand is, the days of the horrible loosing seasons have been gone for a while now... Every year, except for the one (2008), the team has had a decent shot to go to the playoffs.. Isn't that something worth rooting for every year? And no, they didn't win, but does anyone blame them back in 2005 playing one of the top defenses in the league and loosing your star QB on the first play of the game, really? They've won 2 AFC North Championships in 5 years, and this year may not be a TOTAL loss, there is still a ton of football to be played and maybe a ton of reasons to cheer for this team. Everyone has been raving on how great the last couple of drafts have been, and how bright the future is, but lose a few games and you want to blow up PBS with every memeber of the Bengals team and organization in it.

Now THAT'S rooting for a team!!! I can teach my son a little bit about loyalty just from letting him read this stuff.

It has nothing to do with "homerism" or anything of the sort. I know bad football and yesterday was sooooo effin painful to watch, but hey, that's my home and my team.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1288637373' post='936403']
Marvin is probably gone, and not because "OMG HE SUX", but because he's tired of being booed for sending out the punter when they are on their own 30 etc etc & answering stupid pointed questions from the local dickhead writers. In other words, I think he's counting the days to get the fuck outta here & I don't blame him. I hope he finds a situation where he can excel because I really get the feeling he is having to butt heads with the owner and other coaches over fundamentals.. Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like this team has too many chefs in the kitchen.
[/quote]

After this season, Marvin will probably go back to being a Defensive Coordinator somewhere.

I can't see him being an analyst on TV--his in depth analysis of everything would be "they have to play better" or "they have to make more plays than the other team."

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1288636516' post='936397']
First off, if the Bengals leave you better start going to UC games because Cincinnati isn't getting another franchise. Cleveland and Baltimore did because of the history of those franchises, we don't have that history. So secondly, it's either follow the team I used to love playing somewhere else, or follow someone else, somewhere else. If the colors stay the same, I'd probably keep the Bengals. I already got paraphanelia!!
[/quote]
I already attend Bearcat games, walking distance and they sell beer. Cant beat it! Teams would come here easily. Hell they already know that all they have to do is suck and lots of sheep will still jock em.

[quote name='Smizno' timestamp='1288638671' post='936416']
I already attend Bearcat games, walking distance and they sell beer. Cant beat it! Teams would come here easily. Hell they already know that all they have to do is suck and lots of sheep will still jock em.
[/quote]

Well, you better keep attending UC games, because if the Bengals leave, all you're going to see a PBS will be Elder/Moeller and UC games. There is no way another team is going to come to a midwestern town in a dying state. We would be lucky to get a UFL team.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1288633354' post='936374']

[/quote]

I'm not quite sure I understand your 3 year argument... you say he accomplished it in 2005 (made playoffs), then was derailed one year so wasn't able accomplish in 08 but did again in 2009 (made playoffs)... it would appear to me that you're taking that initial (I need 3 years to build the shithole I walked in here with to a contender) argument and re-applying it every few years.

Dude - do you think other NFL teams don't have position attrition? Give me a break. Normally, a team makes the playoffs, they don't get 3 years again to "rebuild" before making a playoff showing again. The closest thing I could equate that to would be a franchise that was doing a salary cap purge and having to bring a bunch of youngsters in and cutting vets (I believe Titans did this a few years ago)...

Then you say you're glad someone is smarter and changes in personnel are likely in the offseason... if whomever is so damned smart why weren't these personnel changes made last offseason?

Understand, I'm not calling for Marvin's head. But, for anyone to argue that a Cincinnati coach doesn't have a cozy-ass job with a shitload more leeway than a normal NFL coach, they're crazy.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1288639025' post='936422']
Well, you better keep attending UC games, because if the Bengals leave, all you're going to see a PBS will be Elder/Moeller and UC games. There is no way another team is going to come to a midwestern town in a dying state. We would be lucky to get a UFL team.
[/quote]

Exactly. An NFL franchise is a pretty rare commodity... there are only 32 of them in the world. Last list I saw Cincy was 34th in media market size... there is a chance that if Bengals left we'd get another franchise... but are you willing to risk that? Quite a few cities that would like to get a franchise... that seems to me to be too big a risk.

Archived