Zimmer: Maualuga can play better

[b][url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/11/zimmer-maualuga-can-play-better/"][size="5"]Zimmer: Maualuga can play better[/size][/url][size="5"] [/size][/b]
Posted by [email="kgoheen@fuse.net"]kgoheen[/email] November 11th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said Thursday that linebacker Rey Maualuga could've played much better against the Steelers and that the second-year player out of Southern California needs to be more disciplined in his assignments.

Zimmer was asked about the play of MLB Dhani Jones, the criticism Jones is receiving and if maybe it's time for Maualuga to move into the middle.

"Well, Rey could've played better last week, a lot better," Zimmer responded, without mentioning the play of Jones. "I don't fight anything. If we felt like it was the best thing right now we would do it. We've lost five straight. We don't owe anybody anything right now."

Jones leads the Bengals with 53 solo tackles and 78 tackles overall. He also has two pass breakups and a forced fumble. Maualuga is third with 45 total tackles and has one sack from the SLB position. Maualuga was the team's second-round pick in 2009 and has started all 23 games he has played in, missing only the regular season finale and playoff games last season against the Jets after fracturing his left ankle. Zimmer doesn't believe Maualuga's troubles have anything to do with his physical health.

"He plays hard but sometimes he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off," said Zimmer. "He's supposed to be here and he's over there and he's supposed to be here. He's got to be a little more team oriented."

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/11/zimmer-maualuga-can-play-better/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/11/11/zimmer-maualuga-can-play-better/[/url]

[quote]"He plays hard but sometimes he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off," said Zimmer. "He's supposed to be here and he's over there and he's supposed to be here. He's got to be a little more team oriented."[/quote]

probably because he's playing out of position and has since he's been here.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1289568505' post='940197']
[/quote]

Thats how I feel too, but then how do we argue with Zim or to a greater extent Fitz whose been fucking money with linebackers his whole career?

It seems like the Bengals are big on life lessons or something. Like they would rather force a guy into a role where he has to improve his worst technique (in this case Ray in pass coverage) to make him a better overall player rather than just exploit what hes already good at.

I would love to see Maualuga in a different role, but then again I would love to see a lot of personnel mix up for the final 8 games. Take a cue from from the NHL, sometimes you just need to mix up the lines, change can generate unforseen effects.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1289569303' post='940203']
Thats how I feel too, but then how do we argue with Zim [b]or to a greater extent Fitz whose been fucking money with linebackers his whole career?[/b]

It seems like the Bengals are big on life lessons or something. Like they would rather force a guy into a role where he has to improve his worst technique (in this case Ray in pass coverage) to make him a better overall player rather than just exploit what hes already good at.

I would love to see Maualuga in a different role, but then again I would love to see a lot of personnel mix up for the final 8 games. Take a cue from from the NHL, sometimes you just need to mix up the lines, change can generate unforseen effects.
[/quote]

I've kind of been disappointed with Fitz so far. I wonder if he's more comfortable developing 3-4 backers than 4-3 backers.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1289569555' post='940208']
I've kind of been disappointed with Fitz so far. I wonder if he's more comfortable developing 3-4 backers than 4-3 backers.
[/quote]

you're the first to say it, but i've been harboring those same concerns. i expected a big change in our LB corps and i've witnessed anything but that. i still have hopes, though. i think it's more a matter of who these LBs are, than how well they're being coached...two of which are looking like big mistakes that were hugely overdrafted by a wide margin.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1289568505' post='940197']
[/quote]

Nope. He did a lot of that at U$C. He just got away with it there because he was surrounded by a lot of great talent.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1289586858' post='940307']
Anyone still think he's better than Laurinaitis?
[/quote]

Laurinaitis has had the opportunity to play MLB for the Rams from the beginning.....
He's play allright for them....nothing special....

Maualuga was moved from his natural position...he's played MLB since high school and
once he reaches the hisghest level of play he gets moved to outside...

How can you compare the two ??? I cant...

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289588118' post='940311']
you guys do realize zimmer doesn't trust him enough to put him at MLB, right?

"I don't fight anything. If we felt like it was the best thing right now we would do it. We've lost five straight. We don't owe anybody anything right now."
[/quote]

Im not letting Rey off the hook for his undisciplined style....he needs to improve.....
So why isnt he? What is Fitzgerald doing? in practice? during the game?
Old has a point about Fitz....

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1289585321' post='940299']
Nope. He did a lot of that at U$C. He just got away with it there because he was surrounded by a lot of great talent.
[/quote]

I always thought, as an SC fan, that Rey made Cush and Matthews better...I think it was the other way around. He is good and strong against the run but he doesn't look fluid at SLB. I'm goin to hold off judgement until he has a chance to really own the MLB position though.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1289588118' post='940311']
you guys do realize zimmer doesn't trust him enough to put him at MLB, right?

"I don't fight anything. If we felt like it was the best thing right now we would do it. We've lost five straight. We don't owe anybody anything right now."
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1289594777' post='940342']
i wish dhani jones wasnt on this team anymore... 2 months till i never have to see that guy play in stripes again...
[/quote]
Dude, you better be knocking on wood. You may of just jinxed us.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1289596639' post='940362']
no ones stupid enough to being this guy back.. NO ONE...

if mike wants this guy back.. he needs to be fired..
[/quote]

Double jinxed now. I am heading off to New Orleans Monday. I will get a Dhani Voodoo Doll made just in case.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1289586858' post='940307']
Anyone still think he's better than Laurinaitis?
[/quote]

I knew after your first post this was where you were headed with it.

While I agree with the sentiment, its tough to equate the two. One is playing out of position and had a learning curve while the other was placed in their natural position with much less of a learning curve.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1289610671' post='940426']
I knew after your first post this was where you were headed with it.

While I agree with the sentiment, its tough to equate the two. One is playing out of position and had a learning curve while the other was placed in their natural position with much less of a learning curve.
[/quote]

and one is excelling....and the other one looks like a bust.

If Zimmer says Maualuga is freelancing like he does (without the fancy hair Polamalu results), then why doesn't he bench him? I have to say it, and I know they don't play the exact same position, but our most consistent, reliable LB this season has been Brandon Johnson. We need more LB's like him that play with a fire in the belly AND know where they are supposed to be. Maualuga has the former but not the latter. Dude's football IQ is questionable at best.

Archived