Andy Dalton is NOT garbage

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1314321563' post='1021447']
If he woulda connected on the second bomb to green right before half these boards would be going crazy about his night...just a slight overthrow...but Green smoked the cb's all night tonight.
[/quote]

Green very well may have been the best player in the draft

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1314321563' post='1021447']
If he woulda connected on the second bomb to green right before half these boards would be going crazy about his night...just a slight overthrow...but Green smoked the cb's all night tonight.
[/quote]
The way so many folks have been bemoaning Dalton's arm, I figure the overthrow would be considered a positive.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' timestamp='1314323778' post='1021502']

The way so many folks have been bemoaning Dalton's arm, I figure the overthrow would be considered a positive.
[/quote]

Dalton rocketed one to a back out of the backfield one play. It was short, yes, but a laser.

[b] [size=6] Bengals' work-in-progress QB making progress[/size][/b]

by Paul Daugherty

Fake Game 3 is supposed to throw light on the darkness of quasi-NFL football in August. Teams play their starters longer. They use more of their playbooks. If the first two games are for deciding who to cut, and the fourth game is to keep starters away from injured reserve, then the third game is supposed to be the dress rehearsal.

The Bengals looked competent Thursday, which was far, far more than could be said of their opponents, the Carolina Panthers, who might or might not have gotten off their airplane at CVG Wednesday night.

As for the rookie quarterbacks, Carolina’s kid made Cincinnati’s kid look like Tom Brady. Take nothing from Andy Dalton: He was efficient and accurate. Save one bad handoff, he played a clean, aware first half. But it took the foggy first half of Cam Newton to illuminate just how un-rookie-like Dalton appeared.

Newton followed the rookie QB book: Drop back, look confused, take off. His legs did account for the Panthers only TD. But even that 16-yard rumble was a burst off a broken play. The rest of the time, Newton looked like an American in Moscow, trying to read the phone book.

The Bengals had some to do with that. The rush was consistently threatening. Rey Maualuga was everywhere. That said, Newton was lost. If you didn’t know you were watching Cam Newton, you’d wonder why Cam Newton was on the field.

Meantime, Dalton was OK. In fact, he was beyond OK. No one would suggest he has passed the audition. This is August, and this was Carolina. The Panthers and the Bengals are (1) and (1a) in the NFL’s worst-fest. But Dalton was better Thursday than he was last week, and he was better last week than he was the week before, and that’s all you can ask from this kid in this situation.

Dalton located A.J. Green in single coverage and delivered him a 40-yard TD bomb. Green got the better of Carolina corner Chris Gamble, an eight-year veteran. If you’re looking for candles in the darkness of Bengals football, there you go.

Dalton also completed a need-a-strong-arm, 20-yard deep out to Jermaine Gresham. He made a nice run that was called back by a holding penalty. He showed good touch on a 25-yard sideline completion to Green that was overruled on review. He showed improvement at dropping back three steps and completing 6-yard passes.

Mainly, Dalton handed the ball to Ced Benson and Bernard Scott, and he only messed that up once. It resulted in a fumble and, eventually, a Carolina touchdown. But botched handoffs are easily fixed.

In the relevant portion of the program, the Bengals did what they wanted to the Carolina defense. First Benson, then Scott took turns running through significant holes in the Carolina line. Benson ran hard and fast. It might as well have been October for the most important player on the team. “The kind of first half I wanted and anticipated," said Benson. He wants more work than he got last year, when he felt like a caddie to the T.Ocho Show. He’ll get it.

And yet. . .

The problem (one of them anyway) is that even if Dalton is flawless, his experience is so limited, the Bengals playbook won’t keep anyone up late on Saturday nights. Defensive coordinators aren’t dumb.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110825/COL03/308250131/Doc-Bengals-work-progress-QB-makes-progress"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110825/COL03/308250131/Doc-Bengals-work-progress-QB-makes-progress[/url]

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15484116"][b]1 minute ago[/b][/url] - by Paul Dehner Jr. - [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15484116"][b]Dalton looks like winner in QB race[/b][/url]
The Bengals will happily give the starting job to QB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/1125961/andy-dalton"]Andy Dalton[/url]. That comes in part because Dalton's played progressively better each week and partially because QB [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/411598/bruce-gradkowski"]Bruce Gradkowski[/url] has been ineffective. Gradkowski hasn't manufactured a point in 12 preseason drives.

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1314323628' post='1021498']
is that JT O'Sullivan wearing #7 for us now? Wow Gradkowski is the one who looks like a deer in the headlights rookie....he is just completely awful.
[/quote]

I by no means think Gradkowski is great, but to be fair he's out there being protected by the 2's and 3's, who aren't giving him any time at all.

[i]"The Bengals looked competent Thursday, which was far, far more than could be said of their opponents, the Carolina Panthers, who might or might not have gotten off their airplane at CVG Wednesday night."[/i]

Read very slowly and savor. This is the closest any of us will ever see Doc this close to praising this team.

Fuck him in the ear anyway.

So, I have a question about arm strength...

Just how weak/strong is Dalton's arm? I know it's not in the same class as the Palmers or Staffords of the world, but is it comparable to Rivers'? Brees'? Colt McCoy's?

And I've also heard it said (I think on this board) that QBs can improve arm strength with conditioning and lifting, etc...so what exactly is the ceiling for Dalton's arm?

I know people will say that accuracy, touch, anticipation, etc. are much more important than arm strength, but might as well have a cannon that's also accurate, right?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314325159' post='1021535']

I by no means think Gradkowski is great, but to be fair he's out there being protected by the 2's and 3's, who aren't giving him any time at all.
[/quote]

And you said Jordan is garbage but you weren't being fair with him like you are with Gradkowski! And their both playing with backups of the backups! Eh, oh well....time for Dalton to prove his worthy to this team and take over a new era.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1314321884' post='1021454']
I wish he would have came out and played a little in the 3rd Quarter.
[/quote]
[b]No way. Half time was the perfect time to pull Dalton. Not worth the injury risk. [/b]

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1314322728' post='1021472']
Dalton already has a headstart on the other rookie QB's[/quote]
[b]Dalton or Green will probably win Rookie of the Year and I think Andy will be the best of the entire bunch - just as many of the draft gurus and Trent Dilfer predicted.[/b]

[quote name='Mikey6866' timestamp='1314323628' post='1021498']
Gradkowski is the one who looks like a deer in the headlights[/quote]
[b]Gradkowski is there to teach Dalton the play book, not to play. Hopefully he only touches the field for mop up wins. [/b]

[center][quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1314325009' post='1021530'][size=6]Carolina’s kid made Cincinnati’s kid look like Tom Brady. [/size][/quote][/center]
[center][size=7][b]Passer Rating:[/b][/size][/center][center][size=7][b][size=8][color=#ff8c00]Dalton[/color][/size] [size=8]107.5[/size] [/b][/size][/center][center][size=7][b][color=#0066ff]Newton[/color] 42.0 [/b][/size][/center][center][img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/_PBS6916--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG[/img][img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/clubimages/2011/08-August/_PBS6677--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG[/img][/center]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1314326744' post='1021567']

And you said Jordan is garbage but you weren't being fair with him like you are with Gradkowski! And their both playing with backups of the backups! Eh, oh well....time for Dalton to prove his worthy to this team and take over a new era.
[/quote]

Gradkowski has film of himself with starters over a 3-4 yr career to show that he can at least be mediocre and a game manager. Jordan Palmer can't even complete a pass to his own team.

Anywho, Lapham seems confident that the team is only going to carry 2 QB's. I think the fact that they didn't play Palmer or LeFevour tonight shows that he very well may be right.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314327139' post='1021573']

Gradkowski has film of himself with starters over a 3-4 yr career to show that he can at least be mediocre and a game manager. Jordan Palmer can't even complete a pass to his own team.

Anywho, Lapham seems confident that the team is only going to carry 2 QB's. I think the fact that they didn't play Palmer or LeFevour tonight shows that he very well may be right.
[/quote]

Maybe Jordan will demand to be traded or else threaten to retire...

[quote name='thedaltonshow' timestamp='1314325572' post='1021545']
So, I have a question about arm strength...

Just how weak/strong is Dalton's arm? I know it's not in the same class as the Palmers or Staffords of the world, but is it comparable to Rivers'? Brees'? Colt McCoy's?

And I've also heard it said (I think on this board) that QBs can improve arm strength with conditioning and lifting, etc...so what exactly is the ceiling for Dalton's arm?

I know people will say that accuracy, touch, anticipation, etc. are much more important than arm strength, but might as well have a cannon that's also accurate, right?
[/quote]

When Tom Brady came into the league one major concern was his arm strength. He was very skinny and didnt look much like an NFL qb. Within a couple years in an NFL strength program he filled out a little and arm strength is hardly an issue with him. He doesnt have a cannon but his arm strength is definately above average.

Watching Dalton in the preseason i dont think his arm strength will be a problem and within a couple years his arm will get even better. He'll never have a cannon but i dont think anybody will be calling him noodle arm either. I think he has a stronger arm than Mccoy and is comparable to Brees, I would have to say right now Phillip Rivers has a stronger arm than Dalton.

PS both Jordan and Gradkowski are both awful. I dont see why people debate on who is better, neither are worth a damn. If i had to choose I would take Gradkowski but that isnt saying much.

Archived