Maualuga Sucks Today

[quote name='OneHeartBeat' timestamp='1323045036' post='1071306']
He needs to be put on notice. He has got to do better than what he's doing. He's got the physical skills to be pretty damn good but mentally I'm not sure its there or it would've been there by now. he should be better than what he is in his 3rd year. I still think DB is where we have to go with the 1st pick.
[/quote]

jack Del Rio was the coach that brought up ray Lewis, if the Bengals can keep mike zimmer ,bring him in to coach the linebackers and defensive line,nothing less nothing more. Bengals should draft 2 first round corner's.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1323034317' post='1071173']
You don't see me acting like I can make snap judgements on players ability, now do you? That person is the one you see in the mirror.

By the way, I've got six guys I helped coach in the league, how many do you have?
[/quote]

Who are these 6 guys and where did you coach them?

I really like Mualaga. He has a hard nose mentality, looks badass and for whatever reason I love Samoan dudes. None of that means he is a good football player necessarily. What it does mean is that I give him allowances that I don't give people like Livings, because I want Rey to be good. Not sure how pervasive this is thru the fan base but I am certain I am not the only one. You look at the guy on paper and he is the prototypical MLB badass run stuffer. In practice is he that much better then Odell Thurman or Dhani Jones?

In all actuality Rey has only played 8 games at MLB, and if all you NFL talent evaluators out there think you can make better decisions than Rey, Fitzgerald, and Mike Zimmer... by all means, apply for a job with ANY NFL team.

This drooling over college LB's is laughable...

[quote name='bigboi' timestamp='1323045957' post='1071307']

jack Del Rio was the coach that brought up ray Lewis, if the Bengals can keep mike zimmer ,bring him in to coach the linebackers and defensive line,nothing less nothing more. Bengals should draft 2 first round corner's.
[/quote]

And do what with one of them? Hall will be back, you put the other CB on the other side, and then another 1st rounder to play nickle?

Pass.

My way too early picks for us in the first round are Janoris Jenkins and Motee Ball.

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1323047789' post='1071320']
In all actuality Rey has only played 8 games at MLB, and if all you NFL talent evaluators out there think you can make better decisions than Rey, Fitzgerald, and Mike Zimmer... by all means, apply for a job with ANY NFL team.

[/quote]

Even at his other positions he over pursued, whiffed, wouldnt stay in his gap, is atrocious in pass coverage etc. I'm not ready to cut ties but is this guy coachable?

[/quote]
Who says we can make better decisions? All's were saying is that we want an upgrade or better play. His play has been sporadic at best. Lots of bad angles, missed tackles, and poor coverage. It's hurting our defense. He's not noticeable when he is in there.

Hell, not too long ago, they took Rey off the field and put Skuta in. I think it was in Baltimore. They are trying to use things to get him to play better. The fact that the dude is texting zimmer and saying "IDK why you start me" shows that he just doesn't have that confidence and killer mentality we need. He's been a starting linebacker in the league for 3 years. His tackling shouldn't be so shotty and his angles shouldn't be so poor still.

Rey does make some plays, both vs run and pass... just not with enough consistency. His reads, tackling, etc. need to improve... but I want to see sustained improvement, not as much up and down - from one game to another, or from one half to another, or from one series to another.

He's not terrible, and he looks really good at times... but I'm not sold on him as a longer-term answer. This is his first year at MLB, but I'd like to see him get somebody to compete with him next year.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1323042375' post='1071289']

No I'm trying to gauge when it's acceptable to you for people to say Rey is not what we had hoped for.

My belief is it will be acceptable to you when Rey isnt on the team anymore and not before, because I dont believe your position on it to be anything other than defending a Bengal player for that purpose and not based on his play.[/quote]

No, i remember Ahmad Brooks, and have enjoyed watching Nelson and Howard just to name a few players that teams gave up on too early.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1323048336' post='1071326']
No, i remember Ahmad Brooks, and have enjoyed watching Nelson and Howard just to name a few players that teams gave up on too early.
[/quote]

Brooks wasnt let go because of his play, he was let go because of his attitude.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1323034989' post='1071195']

Who let him walk? They had a competitive offer on the table, J. Joe probably saw Schaub and A. Johnson and thought that was a better chance to win as opposed to two rookies.. That's a no brainier.. Everyone wants to win, and having those two over our new guys with no OTAs was probably a big kicker.. It's not all about money.

And why after a tough loss are we back on this "blame Mike Brown ish?
[/quote]

The franchise tag.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1323048718' post='1071329']

Brooks wasnt let go because of his play, he was let go because of his attitude.[/quote]

I think it was his attitude, his off-field issues... And his play. If you ask him to run forward and chase the QB, he's really good. Anything else that involves diagnosing a play, you can pretty much forget it.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1323048089' post='1071323']
Who says we can make better decisions? All's were saying is that we want an upgrade or better play. His play has been sporadic at best. Lots of bad angles, missed tackles, and poor coverage. It's hurting our defense. He's not noticeable when he is in there.

Hell, not too long ago, they took Rey off the field and put Skuta in. I think it was in Baltimore. They are trying to use things to get him to play better. The fact that the dude is texting zimmer and saying "IDK why you start me" shows that he just doesn't have that confidence and killer mentality we need. He's been a starting linebacker in the league for 3 years. His tackling shouldn't be so shotty and his angles shouldn't be so poor still.
[/quote]
Yet Zimmer IS starting him because he is the best available MLB we have. We didn't go out in search for a different MLB because the proven OC, LB coach, and head coach because they believe in him. Zimmer thinks he has "it", or he wouldn't start him over anyone else.
Fitzgerald thought the same... yet the condemnation continues from the armchair coordinators.

It's funny, sorry that you don't see it.

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1323049465' post='1071333']
Yet Zimmer IS starting him because he is the best available MLB we have. We didn't go out in search for a different MLB because the proven OC, LB coach, and head coach because they believe in him. Zimmer thinks he has "it", or he wouldn't start him over anyone else.
Fitzgerald thought the same... yet the condemnation continues from the armchair coordinators.

[/quote]
Adam Jones was the best available cornerback we had today.

I guess he doesn't need upgraded either.

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1323049465' post='1071333']

[/quote]

Aye Aye Chief!!! Thank you.

He's been a big reason the Bengals have been ranked in the top 10 in defense this year. They aren't doing it in spite of him.

[/quote]
And the drooling over our team's coaches is retarded. As fans we're not allowed to speculate? Marvin hasn't won a super bowl as a head coach. Zimmer hasn't won a super bowl as a defensive coordinator. gruden hasn't won shit as an offensive coordinator. Because they're at their position, everything they do is right? That's like agreeing with everything an elected president believes in or has to say. I don't see anything that tells me that these guys know EXACTLY what they're doing when it comes to evaluating talent. But because they're in that position, I can't speculate? Voicing my opinion means I think I know more than them? That kind of thinking is fucking retarded. If you don't want to talk about such speculation then don't come in the goddamn thread. Bu-bu-marvin thinks. Who cares. We know what Marvin thinks. What Marvin thinks underperformed like a motherfucker on the field today. So let us have our fun and voice what WE think.

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1323050217' post='1071339']
Is sarcasm the second or third language you're proficient at?

:rsju31uh9:
[/quote]
So you deflect the question..

Figures.

Just because Rey has sweet hair and tats doesn't mean he's the answer. He misses a lot of tackles by not wrapping up, he takes a ton of bad angles, and he can't cover. Pardon us for salivating over a guy who is a badass at the collegiate level, but we need a playmaker at linebacker. We don't need a guy who gets tackles 4 yards down the field.

I think he's a great dude. But he's been in the league for 3 years. Why are his angles so still poor? Why does he have such a hard time wrapping up? Why does he not make any big time plays still? Contrary to your belief, even though he tore up the college level and was the best backer of that sick USC squad, there's a reason why he was the last one to go out of the group and there's a reason why 32 teams passed on him. Some of them twice.

He is servicable..but for this team to move to another level, they need a bad motherfucker somewhere up the middle of that defense. Burfict very well could be that.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1323050725' post='1071342']
So you deflect the question..

Figures.

Just because Rey has sweet hair and tats doesn't mean he's the answer. He misses a lot of tackles by not wrapping up, he takes a ton of bad angles, and he can't cover. Pardon us for salivating over a guy who is a badass at the collegiate level, but we need a playmaker at linebacker. We don't need a guy who gets tackles 4 yards down the field.

I think he's a great dude. But he's been in the league for 3 years. Why are his angles so still poor? Why does he have such a hard time wrapping up? Why does he not make any big time plays still? Contrary to your belief, even though he tore up the college level and was the best backer of that sick USC squad, there's a reason why he was the last one to go out of the group and there's a reason why 32 teams passed on him. Some of them twice.

He is servicable..but for this team to move to another level, they need a bad motherfucker somewhere up the middle of that defense. Burfict very well could be that.
[/quote]

I didn't dodge or deflect anything, and if you're looking for a fight you've come to the wrong person.

Everyone always over reacts after losses, and this time is no exception. If you want to think that replacing Rey with an unproven college MLB, then good for you.

I think that WAY smarter NFL football people think that you don't know shit about LBs in the NFL.

B.A.B. - I didn't tell you what to think, not to think, not to specualte, or not express what you think. I expressed what I thought.

We're even... and for all the "make a tackle 4 yards down the field" asinine comments.... the same thing was said about multi-pro bowl player Justin Smith while he was here.

Be careful, sometimes you get what you ask for.

Rey sucks ass. I can easily name 20 better then him. We dont have to be a coach or ex player to know he doesnt wrap up, cant blitz worth a fuck and never makes plays. linebacker is one of the easiest positions to make an immediate impact as a rookie, kinda like running back and he hasnt done shit in two years, even Stevie Wonder can see this. I saw V. Burfict play in high school down here in Riverside dude is a beast, and has carried it over to the college ranks. My buddy coached him at Centennial High School and said hes not the sharpest tool in the shed but has elite size and speed.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1323050725' post='1071342'] So you deflect the question.. Figures. Just because Rey has sweet hair and tats doesn't mean he's the answer. He misses a lot of tackles by not wrapping up, he takes a ton of bad angles, and he can't cover. Pardon us for salivating over a guy who is a badass at the collegiate level, but we need a playmaker at linebacker. We don't need a guy who gets tackles 4 yards down the field. I think he's a great dude. But he's been in the league for 3 years. Why are his angles so still poor? Why does he have such a hard time wrapping up? Why does he not make any big time plays still? Contrary to your belief, even though he tore up the college level and was the best backer of that sick USC squad, there's a reason why he was the last one to go out of the group and there's a reason why 32 teams passed on him. Some of them twice. He is servicable..but for this team to move to another level, they need a bad motherfucker somewhere up the middle of that defense. Burfict very well could be that.[/quote]

well said

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1323050297' post='1071340']
And the drooling over our team's coaches is retarded. As fans we're not allowed to speculate? Marvin hasn't won a super bowl as a head coach. Zimmer hasn't won a super bowl as a defensive coordinator. gruden hasn't won shit as an offensive coordinator. Because they're at their position, everything they do is right? That's like agreeing with everything an elected president believes in or has to say. I don't see anything that tells me that these guys know EXACTLY what they're doing when it comes to evaluating talent. But because they're in that position, I can't speculate? Voicing my opinion means I think I know more than them? That kind of thinking is fucking retarded. If you don't want to talk about such speculation then don't come in the goddamn thread. Bu-bu-marvin thinks. Who cares. We know what Marvin thinks. What Marvin thinks underperformed like a motherfucker on the field today. So let us have our fun and voice what WE think.[/quote]

Ok, let me put it like this. I don't know what you do, but my bet is that it's something different than being a professional football coach. However, if you've been doing it for more than ten years, you're probably a professional at it. If someone asked me about something pertaining to what you do, I wouldn't think that what Marvin or Zimmer or Gruden said would be more credible than what you thought. It amazes me that so many of you think that you are better judges of player's ability than the guys that are paid to make those decisions. Their entire lifestyle is based on them being right way more often than them being wrong. Our opinions are generally unprofessional evaluations coming without very much understanding of what we are truly evaluating. Sorry about stating truth so bluntly.

Archived