Keeping the enemy close - Steelers assistant Arians retiring after five-year tenure

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1327782700' post='1092692']
Arians is the new OC for the Colts. So much for retiring, he probably just wanted out of Pissburgh.

Did not see it on here but Brad Childress is the new OC for the Browns.
[/quote]

Actually it wasn't him wanting out of Pittsburgh. They chose not to reup his contract.

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1327538487' post='1092210']

Who?
[/quote]

Chris Hoke was one of those veteran role players that every team needs to be successful. Hampton was obviously the starter, but we didn't actually see all that much drop off when he was replaced by Hoke.

The Steelers were 17-1 when Hoke started at nose guard. Obviously, that's an incredibly skewed stat, but interesting nonetheless.

Hoke will be missed. But, much like Aaron Smith (who should also be retiring), he was hurt for almost all of this past season, meaning a contingency plan is already in place.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327785374' post='1092700']

they kind of forced him out.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was a poorly-executed firing. Why release a statement saying a guy is choosing to retire when he's clearly going to be interviewing for another job as soon as he's cut loose?

I guess you can say that they wanted to show Arians some respect by making it look like it was his decision, but when proof to the contrary is so obvious, it just ends up looking really bad for everyone involved.

Honestly, I worry about Art Rooney II running the team. His dad's greatest strength was his ability to put the right people in charge of the right things, then slip into the background and let those people do what they do best. Art II seems like he has just a little bit of Jerry Jones in him and takes a little too much enjoyment in making personnel decisions.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1327798053' post='1092747']

Yeah, that was a poorly-executed firing. Why release a statement saying a guy is choosing to retire when he's clearly going to be interviewing for another job as soon as he's cut loose?

I guess you can say that they wanted to show Arians some respect by making it look like it was his decision, but when proof to the contrary is so obvious, it just ends up looking really bad for everyone involved.

[b]Honestly, I worry about Art Rooney II running the team. His dad's greatest strength was his ability to put the right people in charge of the right things, then slip into the background and let those people do what they do best. Art II seems like he has just a little bit of Jerry Jones in him and takes a little too much enjoyment in making personnel decisions.[/b]
[/quote]

Sounds like he has a little Mike Brown in him as well.

Can't wait to see the results of that! :19:

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1327797508' post='1092746']

Chris Hoke was one of those veteran role players that every team needs to be successful. Hampton was obviously the starter, but we didn't actually see all that much drop off when he was replaced by Hoke.

The Steelers were 17-1 when Hoke started at nose guard. Obviously, that's an incredibly skewed stat, but interesting nonetheless.

Hoke will be missed. But, much like Aaron Smith (who should also be retiring), he was hurt for almost all of this past season, meaning a contingency plan is already in place.
[/quote]

Hoke was a good player. They are getting a bit long in the tooth up front, with Aaron Smith as you noted, and Casey Hampton as well... and in the back 7 you've got some oldies as well, like Farrior, Foote (not a starter any more, but was for a long time), Ike Taylor, and as good as he is, Polamalu has had a bunch of concussions. They've still got some horses, and some younger guys like Woodley, Hood, Gay, and Timmons, but they've got to re-tool a bit also.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1327798053' post='1092747']
Honestly, I worry about Art Rooney II running the team. His dad's greatest strength was his ability to put the right people in charge of the right things,
[/quote]

Well, that and the long-standing gambling connections to organized crime. Also, having the commissioner of the league in his pocket probably helped. But his "people skills", yeh, I guess he had that going for him too. But mostly that other stuff.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1327812041' post='1092791']

Well, that and the long-standing gambling connections to organized crime. Also, having the commissioner of the league in his pocket probably helped. But his "people skills", yeh, I guess he had that going for him too. But mostly that other stuff.
[/quote]

You forgot that team doctor who was buying all that Human Growth Hormone...probably for personal use.

Pagano and the Colts apparently just nabbed the Steelers' linebacker coach Keith Butler to be DC... I wonder if the Steelers are starting to lose LeBeau replacements because he is sticking around longer than expected.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1327854480' post='1092839']
Pagano and the Colts apparently just nabbed the Steelers' linebacker coach Keith Butler to be DC... I wonder if the Steelers are starting to lose LeBeau replacements because he is sticking around longer than expected.
[/quote]

Good thought. I like seeing them lose coaches. Sounds like the Colts want some of this AFCN action.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1327855962' post='1092842']
Wonder if they will move to a 3-4. They certainly are getting pretty old on defense and could get rid of Dwight Freeney as long as Peyton to start trying to rebuild that defense.
[/quote]

What little I read suggested they could move to a 3-4, keep Freeney, and find a replacement for Mathis... Mostly because Mathis is a free agent, and Freeney is under contract.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1327854480' post='1092839']
[/quote]

its been said they have someone in waiting, but I forget what coach it is.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1327854480' post='1092839']Pagano and the Colts apparently just nabbed the Steelers' linebacker coach Keith Butler to be DC... I wonder if the Steelers are starting to lose LeBeau replacements because [b]he is sticking around longer than expected.[/b][/quote]

Exactly....Lebeau will hold onto that position until he's on his deathbed.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1327108631' post='1090917']Honestly, it seems like that passing offense has been carrying that team. The defense is still hard-nosed, but it seemed like his vertical offense with the improvised route running really suited Ben well.[/quote]
[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1327334770' post='1091506']Maybe Arians feels the same way about Ben that we do on this board...[/quote]
[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1327427970' post='1091775']Yeah I think Ben confused that with his victims too.[/quote]
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1327430199' post='1091792']word is arians was forced out by Rooney, and Ben's not happy about it.[/quote]

I love how so many of you are on a first-name basis with Roethlisberger.

Archived