What kind of phone do you have?

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1332684206' post='1111811']

I have a Blackberry Bold (get off my lawn) and the only nice thing I can say about it is that its free as I am on my parent's plan because they don't ever approach using their minutes on their plan. And yes, I still reside in their basement, so don't ask.
[/quote]
Do people still use BlackBerries?

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1332600555' post='1111480']
Oh and I have a MySpace. I checked it the other day and a tumbleweed blew by on my monitor.[/quote]

Is Tom your only friend lol

I have a white HTC Evo 4G. I will get the iphone5 in October when it comes out through Sprint since they'll have it first the first few months :) first iPhone I'll own.

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1332603644' post='1111493']^^^^^^^ that is why I am going to the iphone, it's all about the battery... for what I use them for about any decent smart phone will suffice....[/quote]

The batteries in the new Androids have gotten a lot better recently compared to the older ones.

I have a Droid RAZR and I love it. The Smart Actions app helps with the battery also and I can go a full day at ease without having to charge.

Androids are better than iPhones at the phone IMO. But we all want different things. The freedom you have with an Android is endless.

The only thing I do give the iPhone over Android is the market. The iPhone app store seems to have a lot better apps than Google Play.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' timestamp='1332710103' post='1111964']

The batteries in the new Androids have gotten a lot better recently compared to the older ones.

I have a Droid RAZR and I love it. The Smart Actions app helps with the battery also and I can go a full day at ease without having to charge.

Androids are better than iPhones at the phone IMO. But we all want different things. The freedom you have with an Android is endless.

The only thing I do give the iPhone over Android is the market. The iPhone app store seems to have a lot better apps than Google Play.
[/quote]

My Android GarminFone was without a doubt the [b]best[/b] cell phone I've ever owned. Call clarity was crystal clear, I never dropped a call, volume was impeccable. My iPhone is barely functional as a phone, but it does everything else so much better, and I honestly don't actually [i]talk[/i] on my phone all that much, so I'm good.

The Droid RAZR most likely would have been my next phone had I not gotten a great deal with Sprint...

[/quote]

I do actually like my phone, but I like Elflocko just said...don't really talk on my phone a great deal. I have had a few droids now and really am just wanting to try something different....

[/quote]

Not to mention you're still more apt to get a virus on an Android more than on an iPhone. Face it, people don't like the iPhone because it's a Mac product and they have some hang up about Mac products. The iPhone is the superior smart phone hands down across the board. I know a lot of people with iPhones and I know a lot of people with Androids. I constantly hear complaints from the Android users and hardly ever hear anything from the iPhone users. I've been using iPhone for 2 years now and haven't had one problem. I know there are plenty of iPhone horror stories out there so I'm not saying it's perfect. But it is the superior smart phone regardless.
MULLY
couldn't give a flying fuck about what maker it is, I just want the best product.

I think it's actually the freedom of the Android, and the superior web browsing. The larger screen, and the cheaper prices for apps, insurance and insurance deductibles. There is nothing about the iPhone that makes me want to buy one. I would lose nearly an inch of screen, and with my aging eyes, I wouldn't see a thing.

The simple little things of the iPhone makes it quite annoying, like plugging it into a computer and dragging any files onto it. WTF? I can't do that with an iPhone.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1332731826' post='1112067']
I think it's actually the freedom of the Android, and the superior web browsing. The larger screen, and the cheaper prices for apps, insurance and insurance deductibles. There is nothing about the iPhone that makes me want to buy one. I would lose nearly an inch of screen, and with my aging eyes, I wouldn't see a thing.

The simple little things of the iPhone makes it quite annoying, like plugging it into a computer and dragging any files onto it. WTF? I can't do that with an iPhone.
[/quote]

1. Android definitely has more freedom, but that can be both good and bad.
2. I am curious about the superior web browsing. Unless it's referring to Flash, I've seen too many conflicting test results to think either is better than the other.
3. I think the better argument for a larger screen would be for those with larger fingers. Retina displays and the ability to adjust any phone's distance from your eyes make the vision thing less compelling (IMHO). Big fingers is no joke... I have girly hands.
4. What sorts of files are you dragging? Are you using your Android phone as a USB drive? I like to use Dropbox. That way I don't even have to connect my phone to a computer to get the files... They should have it for Android. Might make life even easier for you.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1332684206' post='1111811']
Steve Jobs, posting from the afterlife!

:lol:
[/quote]

Heh. Wasn't actually meant to be pro or con, and is sort of a bit of both. If you have a Mac already, iPhone interaction with your computer is bulletproof (sync, email, calendar, contacts, pushing across devices, etc...). If not, things could be a little less easy (at least, that's how it was in the iPod days). I don't know how it is with Windows users these days, but when I was primarily Windows based, I didn't use iTunes at all. I used Winamp or Foobar for my music organizer, and those didn't play well with Apple devices at all. Video appeal is high for someone like me because I'm all set with AppleTV. All of my DVDs are ripped to an iOS friendly format, sit on my main computer, and stream to all of my Apple devices. Someone with a Windows-based media PC in their living room doesn't care about that wireless sharing or the Airplay features. Same thing goes with people who have iCloud accounts versus something like a Hotmail account (Gmail seems pretty well integrated, but is obviously better integrated with Android). iCloud sets up easily, and pushes, updates, backups, and syncs really well across Macs/Pads/iPhones. Hotmail and some non-iCloud email/cloud storage options don't work nearly as well, and usually require an hoop to jump through.

The point is that the appeal grows as your Apple products and services play off of each other. If you lead an Apple-free existence, there is certainly going to be less appeal (and I don't care if you do or not. I've found what works for me. Everyone else needs to find what suits them best). Someone like Steggy (or possibly Bartledoo, I don't know), may have a Windows PC, a Gmail account, use Foobar2000 for music organization, have a mediaPC full of MKVs and FLVs (not iOS friendly video formats), and Amazon Cloud storage. All of those choices are terrific, but mean he would rightfully see an iPhone as an inferior choice for his needs.

...The ribbing and joking is okay, but the serious Apple vs Android vs Windows stuff is ultimately horse poop. It's like debating flat head, phillips head, and hex. They look different, and are slightly better for certain projects, but they all do pretty much the same thing. The thing that I still hold onto is when a fan of one says something really not true about another.

Whoever is the original poster should look at their current computing situation (computer OS, music management, email service, video situation, etc...), read up on how well the different phones play with the formats/providers/OS's, and then go play with the phones at a store. What is easy and makes them happy will steer them to the right phone pretty quickly.

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1332710423' post='1111969']

My Android GarminFone was without a doubt the [b]best[/b] cell phone I've ever owned. Call clarity was crystal clear, I never dropped a call, volume was impeccable. My iPhone is barely functional as a phone, but it does everything else so much better, and I honestly don't actually [i]talk[/i] on my phone all that much, so I'm good.

The Droid RAZR most likely would have been my next phone had I not gotten a great deal with Sprint...
[/quote]

I was going to inquire along these lines at some point over the next month or so... eligible to upgrade in May. Been on a Droid X for 18 months now - have liked it really well. I hear people bitch about the battery but that isn't an issue for me as I'm at a desk, or in bed, or in a car at some point within a 24 hour window where I charge my phone... I use it a BUNCH surfing, texting, etc. and I have to charge right at about once a day.

All my kids got ipods for christmas and my wife got an iPad, I already have an ipod and the icloud and itunes is really nice. So am contemplating making a switch from an Android phone to an iPhone.

The flip side of the argument are the comments about iPhones call ability and what Elf mentioned. I've heard the same thing from about 3-4 other people (2 are family members) who've had android and/or blackberries in the past. Say it is a great device until you have to make a call on it.

That scares me. I'm carrying a "phone" for work... that I have to be able to talk to people on if / when I'm needed. Yes, I browse internet, text, pull game lines for betting, and all that other crap too. But I have to have a phone that I can rely on for actually talking on. Otherwise, I'd just carry an ipod / ipad / (pick you mobile organizer device flavor of choice)...

Help! Elf - it sounds as though the only reason you picked the iphone was Sprint gave you a deal you couldn't pass up... I completely understand if that was the case. Work is Verizon, we have unlimited data so that isn't in play no matter what device I go with. That being the case... Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, iphone 4S??? What would you do knowing you need it for actually talking on as well.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1332767539' post='1112134']

Heh. Wasn't actually meant to be pro or con, and is sort of a bit of both. If you have a Mac already, iPhone interaction with your computer is bulletproof (sync, email, calendar, contacts, pushing across devices, etc...). If not, things could be a little less easy (at least, that's how it was in the iPod days). I don't know how it is with Windows users these days, but when I was primarily Windows based, I didn't use iTunes at all. I used Winamp or Foobar for my music organizer, and those didn't play well with Apple devices at all. Video appeal is high for someone like me because I'm all set with AppleTV. All of my DVDs are ripped to an iOS friendly format, sit on my main computer, and stream to all of my Apple devices. Someone with a Windows-based media PC in their living room doesn't care about that wireless sharing or the Airplay features. Same thing goes with people who have iCloud accounts versus something like a Hotmail account (Gmail seems pretty well integrated, but is obviously better integrated with Android). iCloud sets up easily, and pushes, updates, backups, and syncs really well across Macs/Pads/iPhones. Hotmail and some non-iCloud email/cloud storage options don't work nearly as well, and usually require an hoop to jump through.

The point is that the appeal grows as your Apple products and services play off of each other. If you lead an Apple-free existence, there is certainly going to be less appeal (and I don't care if you do or not. I've found what works for me. Everyone else needs to find what suits them best). Someone like Steggy (or possibly Bartledoo, I don't know), may have a Windows PC, a Gmail account, use Foobar2000 for music organization, have a mediaPC full of MKVs and FLVs (not iOS friendly video formats), and Amazon Cloud storage. All of those choices are terrific, but mean he would rightfully see an iPhone as an inferior choice for his needs.

...The ribbing and joking is okay, but the serious Apple vs Android vs Windows stuff is ultimately horse poop. It's like debating flat head, phillips head, and hex. They look different, and are slightly better for certain projects, but they all do pretty much the same thing. The thing that I still hold onto is when a fan of one says something really not true about another.

Whoever is the original poster should look at their current computing situation (computer OS, music management, email service, video situation, etc...), read up on how well the different phones play with the formats/providers/OS's, and then go play with the phones at a store. What is easy and makes them happy will steer them to the right phone pretty quickly.
[/quote]

Mongo... I appreciate the breath of fresh air. Too often when you're talking to a pc person anything Mac is shit. And, when you're talking to a Mac person there is almost a clanish reverence for the stuff, apple sticker on the back of the car (at least when I'm dealing with a couple folks I work with!).

I'd just like to make the best decision knowing my needs... would love to be able to have the iphone synced with the rest of the family via iCloud / iTunes but not at the expense of crappy phone quality. Know what I mean?

One other aside... my wife went in to upgrade her phone two weeks ago... she had an HTC something or other (it was an android device)... (will never own another HTC device as long as I live regardless of platform...) with the full intent on going with the iphone 4S as she wanted to sync, etc. so everything on her ipad would be on her phone and so on.

After being in the store for about 1 1/2 hours, talking on different phones, using them, etc. she ended up with the Droid Bionic. So far she loves it.

I have an ipod touch, so I understand the appeal of apple. I already have everything synced through my Droid though, and I like being able to get music/movies from where I want instead of having to use iTunes. Plus, call quality means a lot to me because I do have to actually use my phone as a, well, phone. I'm thinking about looking at the Droid 4...

Mongo, those comparisons are probably using the stock browser. Throw in the Dolphin HD browser on the Android, along with the thumb keyboard, and you can't beat that experience. You can set it to read everything as a desktop browser and choose which flash files you want to have played, on the fly.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1332772944' post='1112165']

I was going to inquire along these lines at some point over the next month or so... eligible to upgrade in May. Been on a Droid X for 18 months now - have liked it really well. I hear people bitch about the battery but that isn't an issue for me as I'm at a desk, or in bed, or in a car at some point within a 24 hour window where I charge my phone... I use it a BUNCH surfing, texting, etc. and I have to charge right at about once a day.

All my kids got ipods for christmas and my wife got an iPad, I already have an ipod and the icloud and itunes is really nice. So am contemplating making a switch from an Android phone to an iPhone.

The flip side of the argument are the comments about iPhones call ability and what Elf mentioned. I've heard the same thing from about 3-4 other people (2 are family members) who've had android and/or blackberries in the past. Say it is a great device until you have to make a call on it.

That scares me. I'm carrying a "phone" for work... that I have to be able to talk to people on if / when I'm needed. Yes, I browse internet, text, pull game lines for betting, and all that other crap too. But I have to have a phone that I can rely on for actually talking on. Otherwise, I'd just carry an ipod / ipad / (pick you mobile organizer device flavor of choice)...

Help! Elf - it sounds as though the only reason you picked the iphone was Sprint gave you a deal you couldn't pass up... I completely understand if that was the case. Work is Verizon, we have unlimited data so that isn't in play no matter what device I go with. That being the case... Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, iphone 4S??? What would you do knowing you need it for actually talking on as well.
[/quote]

My work phone is a droid on Verizon, while the iPhone is my personal phone on sprint. Don't get me wrong, I've been very impressed with the improvements sprint has made to their network here, and I don't drop calls; I don't think the iPhone performance would be any better on Verizon. While the droid I have is an absolute horror in every regard, if I were you I would go droid Razr for work...

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1332798355' post='1112319']
Mongo, those comparisons are probably using the stock browser. Throw in the Dolphin HD browser on the Android, along with the thumb keyboard, and you can't beat that experience. You can set it to read everything as a desktop browser and choose which flash files you want to have played, on the fly.
[/quote]

The comparisons I have read have been with stock browsers. I'm just not sure Dolphin HD for Android is different than Dolphin HD for iPhone... With the exception of the Flash.

I should really stay out of this conversation because in the end, I'm not in the USA. Japan is already so far advanced in their phone and internet networks that it's not even a fair comparison. It doesn't matter where I go here, there aren't too many dead spots for phone usage.

In the end, I agree with Mongo 110%. It all comes down to what suits you and your needs, regardless of the logo that is on the outside of the unit. I have a PC and an iMac. I just got into using iMac within the last year after all these years on PC. I do have my own pros and cons for it, for both actually. I'm glad I have both though as it opens the door so much wider for me.
MULLY
you'll never catch me in Starbucks wearing a furry cap in summer though

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1332810081' post='1112382']
I should really stay out of this conversation because in the end, I'm not in the USA. Japan is already so far advanced in their phone and internet networks that it's not even a fair comparison. It doesn't matter where I go here, there aren't too many dead spots for phone usage.

In the end, I agree with Mongo 110%. It all comes down to what suits you and your needs, regardless of the logo that is on the outside of the unit. I have a PC and an iMac. I just got into using iMac within the last year after all these years on PC. I do have my own pros and cons for it, for both actually. I'm glad I have both though as it opens the door so much wider for me.
MULLY
you'll never catch me in Starbucks wearing a furry cap in summer though
[/quote]
Yeah, yeah, yeah...you have fancy phones in Japan, we get it. But you also have to eat too much fish and PLEASE call me when you get fast internet over there, mmkay?

I think Bung was kidding, but just in case, Japan is ranked 3rd in the world for net speed. I think America was ranked 16 or 17. My home hookup is 180mbps. I get downloads in the 70's 80's and uploads a touch below.

(null)

[quote name='Bartledoo' timestamp='1332599913' post='1111476'] I'm going to be honest, I just don't see the appeal of an iPhone...[/quote]

Kicks the shit out of the Blackberry Storm. The email is easily set up and accessible, as is the internet and our apps. It's fast, can store a lot of information. I can't say I've had many phones, but this iPhone4 does everything I need it to... plus, I can't tell you how many hours I've passed with this thing while waiting on the woman to shop or sitting/standing in line at the post office, bank, store, etc.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' timestamp='1332821635' post='1112418']
I think Bung was kidding, but just in case, Japan is ranked 3rd in the world for net speed. I think America was ranked 16 or 17. My home hookup is 180mbps. I get downloads in the 70's 80's and uploads a touch below.

(null)
[/quote]
Man, I was totally joking. I was remembering that thread you started where you posted your result from Speedtest.net and it something ridiculous like 80 down and 30 up. And I thought my speed at 30 down and about 6 up was pretty fast (well, it is...for American internet).

Archived