I am finally moving to the Macbook

JC

I got a Toshiba as of like 10 months ago, and it is crashing and burning slowly. Before that, I had a Dell for about two and a half years and it poo-pooed out. I feel like I'm throwing money into an endless pit that is windows and PC.

Therefore, I am trying to get some opinions on what to get and when to get it. I am a student and I heard students get a decent discount? I'm not sure if thats only from Apple or not. I couldn't even tell how much it was when I was on the website. Regardless..

I can't decide if I want a 13" or 15". I've seen 13" monitors and always thought they were too small. Both my laptops were 15" and were very portable. Question is, is it worth the extra 400-500 to get that 2 inches? (lulz)

How much storage should I get. I read on various places that 8 GB is ideal and the SSD is the best way to go. If you don't get the SSD, what should you go for.

Where to get it? Where have you seen the best deals? It could come with something bundled. Doesn't matter. Just want whatever perks I can get. Would it be better to wait until black friday/x-mas? I'm not aware if Apple has many deals and such, as I haven't paid much attention.

Forgot to mention. I have about 10 GB's of music. Like fast internet browsing. Would prefer good wireless connectivity (I think that's more of a router issue). Would absolutely love something that will last for 5+ years and I think that's what I will be getting.

Apple has (or at least did, haven't checked in a while) a credit card that lets you do zero-interest financing on your first purchase from Apple's website. I'd recommend that. As for where to buy, I believe that Apple regulates their prices to their venders, and they're never on sale, so I wouldn't waste too much time shopping around, unless you're willing to go to ebay or amazon and get a used one (not particularly recommended).

As for size, I have a 15" MacBook Pro. I don't think I'd personally like a 13" inch, but I'm picky about my screen real estate.

SSD is always a better option when it comes to hard drives, but you will pay for it. If you can fit into your budget, I highly recommend it.

Witty pretty much nailed it. I agree with all he said.. Stupid stealer fans... :D

I finally made the switch about 9 months ago(15" Macbook Pro) and I couldn't be happier. I haven't had one single issue with it in that time. I am confident you will get your 5+ you are looking for.
For cost...just remember when yo are getting it. The 2011 models are dirt cheap(as far as Macbook pro's go) right now, and RAM and Hard drives are about the easiest thing in the world to upgrade yourself in these things. You can save a bunch of money doing it yourself.

Once you go Mac, you don't go back.. Is that how that saying goes?

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1348273452' post='1160765']
Witty pretty much nailed it. I agree with all he said.. Stupid stealer fans... :D
[/quote]

Journal entry #187 (9/21/2010)

My time spent with these creatures has been productive. I slowly gain their trust as I live amongst them. I appear to be gaining their respect as I adapt to their cultures and traditions. Past reports have claimed that these creatures were nothing but barbarians and mongrels. I begin to question the accuracy of these reports as my admiration grows equal to their admiration of me. That said, I must tread lightly as the possibility of them denouncing me and turning feral could still be very real. I must be careful as to not risk putting myself in unnecessary danger.

I look forward to writing the finished product of my findings when I return to civilization. I will write again as I find time, though that could prove to scarce as I am accepted deeper and deeper into their community.

Witty Name

On the Macbook Pro resolution actually compensates for real estate believe it or not so I'd recommend trying to get your hands on both before you make the decision.

And if you can afford it, get the SSD as the performance improvement is phenomenal.

If you're looking at an Air, just make sure you get all the memory as you can up front as they solder that shit to the motherboard so there's no upgrading later (talk about a fucking time warp; shit I'm old... )

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348280863' post='1160811']

My time spent with these creatures has been productive. I slowly gain their trust as I live amongst them. I appear to be gaining their respect as I adapt to their cultures and traditions. Past reports have claimed that these creatures were nothing but barbarians and mongrels. I begin to question the accuracy of these reports as my admiration grows equal to their admiration of me. That said, I must tread lightly as the possibility of them denouncing me and turning feral could still be very real. I must be careful as to not risk putting myself in unnecessary danger.

I look forward to writing the finished product of my findings when I return to civilization. I will write again as I find time, though that could prove to scarce as I am accepted deeper and deeper into their community.

Witty Name
[/quote]

~Snicker

Good stuff guys. I appreciate it. I knew I couldn't go wrong asking it here, rather than going to Apple and asking an associate. So if I go 15" pro, which is my intended plan thus far..I can upgrade from both the 4 GB of RAM and the hard drive. Are they both fairly easy to upgrade by yourself and would likely be a better price doing it that way anyways? The 128 GB SSD is a 180 dollar upgrade. I'm a bit worried that may not be enough for all the data I would use over it's lifetime.

Also, it looks like they're offering a $100 dollar discount at the moment. Just earlier today, it was 100 dollars and a 100 dollar Apple giftcard. Will Apple bundle better stuff with it around the holiday season? Wasn't sure if they did anything like that? The payment plan is definitely appealing rather than a whole lump sum.

If possible, go in to an Apple Store. Aside from educational discounts, Apple has all sorts of deals through other companies. I went with my sister to get her a an Air. They wound up giving her a 5% discount just because my father was retired P&G... Every little bit helps. :)

you get the student discount off it online, they dont verify anything at all.. its typically 5-10%

i bought myself the 13" first... doing photoshop SUCKED on that small of a screen so i gave it to my wife and got the 15" i cant do less than 15 doing video and design work...

i always upgraded my own ram, through crucial.com 8gb ram kit was $42

if you arent getting the retina the hard drive is pretty easy too...

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1348280863' post='1160811']

Witty Name
[/quote]

:lol:

• 1 month later...
I am about to carry out on this. I've done my research.

Question I pose, can I get this off of Amazon and still be fine regarding warranties and safeness of buy and such? I get a better deal from skipping the sales tax than I get from the apple store and my student discount. It would be straight through amazon and not some sketchy seller. I also get 12 month same as cash if I go this route and will help me build credit so I would like to go that route. What do you think?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1348268864' post='1160756']
I got a Toshiba as of like 10 months ago, and it is crashing and burning slowly. Before that, I had a Dell for about two and a half years and it poo-pooed out. I feel like I'm throwing money into an endless pit that is windows and PC.
[/quote]

"PC" just means "personal computer". Apple makes PC's, too. Windows is an operating system, not a manufacturer like Dell, Toshiba, or Apple.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1353084148' post='1181116']
"PC" just means "personal computer". Apple makes PC's, too. Windows is an operating system, not a manufacturer like Dell, Toshiba, or Apple.
[/quote]
I'm not too tech savy, I just know that people with Macbooks have nothing but good things to say. Plus, with how long they last, it will basically pay for itself.

I am in no way poo-poohing your choice to get a Mac, JC, but the more I hear about people with all these issues with Windows machines I wonder who they even are. Aside from maybe viruses and possibly stability issues, isn't buying one or the other simply a matter of preference? Who are all these people with all these Windows failures? I've never had a single hardware failure since Windows 95.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1353211094' post='1181351']
I am in no way poo-poohing your choice to get a Mac, JC, but the more I hear about people with all these issues with Windows machines I wonder who they even are. Aside from maybe viruses and possibly stability issues, isn't buying one or the other simply a matter of preference? Who are all these people with all these Windows failures? I've never had a single hardware failure since Windows 95.
[/quote]

You've had your share of virus (and toddler!) issues on Windows.

It's not the hardware, but the relative inconsistency of the OS up until Windows 7. MS really closed the gap with W7, and it's quite frankly the best OS they've ever put out (though I'm really liking Server 2012).

The differences are much smaller these days, but OS X and Linux both have a speed\resource management edge on Windows, in addition to the lack of virus vulnerability.

Unfortunately in regard to usability MS has taken a huge step backwards with W8, but it fits their MO of putting out a good OS, fucking up the next so it's really no surprise...

[quote name='Dalton4HOF' timestamp='1353183545' post='1181298']
you are all good from amazon, fine with warranties and everything... no worries at all..
[/quote]

Good looking out. Appreciate it.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1353211094' post='1181351']
[/quote]

I've just had too many issues over the past year with Windows based operating systems that I cannot give them any more of my money. I want to give my money to something that is going to perform, and at a high level for 5+ years. Not for 2 or less which I have been dealing with as of late. I've been fooled twice over the past three years. Don't think I am going to let it happen again.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1353356472' post='1182517']
Hate to crash this party but I like HP laptops better than macbooks.
[/quote]

So you're a Browns fan *and* you have shitty taste in computers.

I'm just not surprised... :ninja:

But seriously, HP laptops are some of the most poorly made in the business....

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1353362604' post='1182548']
Why you say that?
[/quote]

Aside from over a decade in IT, they have been consistently panned by consumer and trade mags for being anything but dependable. Aside from the dependability issue HP is way behind most other manufacturers. Hell, even [url="http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/hp-ceo-admits-her-company-computers-design-poor-213017821.html"]their own CEO admits their designs suck[/url]. HP hasn't put out a decent laptop in 5 years or more.

Brands I would buy before HP:

Apple
Lenovo
Asus
Sony
Toshiba
Acer

You'll notice Dell isn't on the list; I'd rather use an abacus than a Dell laptop...

Well, if you're a gamer and price is no object, it's really hard to beat [url="http://www.falcon-nw.com/"]Falcon Northwest[/url]

Alienware still makes a damn good system, but seeing as they're owned by Dell I just can't bring myself to like them any more...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1353368252' post='1182569']
Well, if you're a gamer and price is no object, it's really hard to beat [url="http://www.falcon-nw.com/"]Falcon Northwest[/url]

Alienware still makes a damn good system, but seeing as they're owned by Dell I just can't bring myself to like them any more...
[/quote]

Need to keep it under a grand if possible. Money is an object since I'm getting engaged soon. So either money can be no object before I'm engaged or after is a no go lmao.

Archived