Steelers Week Notes

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1350409560' post='1171319']
It's been kind of hard to judge RBs this year. They've all been banged up at different points this season, and the line hasn't played terribly well (although they've been slightly better than last year, in my opinion). There will be days when Dwyer looks worlds ahead of Batch, but other days where Dwyer looks like he should be cut and Batch looks really good. It's just really tough to sort that situation out right now. Out of the non-Mendenhall backs, I like Redman the best, when he's healthy. But it's a fairly short drop-off to both Dwyer and Batch, and I think those last two are kind of in the same boat.

When healthy, they both have proven to be hard runners and have shown willingness to put their shoulders down and push for the tough yardage. I don't think either one is particularly dynamic, and you probably don't want either one being your feature back. But they're both good spell-backs who can come in and grind for some tough yards.
[/quote]

I would trade all the Bengals backs for Batch. Maybe keep Peerman cause you won't need him. Sign DeDe Dorsey. Those three backs would be best in the league.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1350334936' post='1171115']
Polamalu is old and sucky now.
[/quote]

FWIW while watching the pregame for the Steeler/Titan game I overheard one of the guest talking heads from Pittsburgh speak openly about how some think Troy may have already played his last down.

I nearly swallowed my gum when I heard it.

[quote name='HairOnFire' timestamp='1350413824' post='1171361']
FWIW while watching the pregame for the Steeler/Titan game I overheard one of the guest talking heads from Pittsburgh speak openly about how some think Troy may have already played his last down.

I nearly swallowed my gum when I heard it.
[/quote]

An old, broke down, slow Troy is better than 50% of the safeties in the NFL. More than anything else, I think the concussions hare killing him. There are so many injuries a player can have, and get it fixed or rehabilitated, but concussions are for life.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350414251' post='1171362']
An old, broke down, slow Troy is better than 50% of the safeties in the NFL. More than anything else, I think the concussions hare killing him. There are so many injuries a player can have, and get it fixed or rehabilitated, but concussions are for life.
[/quote]

I think you mean "concussion like symptoms" there. No steeler gets an actual concussion. Ok, maybe Ben when the old lady hit his motorcycle.

The talking head claimed it was an unending series of leg and foot injuries, not concussions, that threatened to end Troy's season prematurely. Seems that little bitch-move push-in-the-back Polamalu gave a WR on his final play retweaked an injury that was already slow to heal. They're guessing he'll be out multiple weeks per best case scenario, and will return only then if he doesn't have the same kinds of setbacks he's already experienced multiple times. The talking head speculated the Steelers might shut him down if he suffers another setback while rehabbing the most recent tweak. Complicating matters further, the guy said Polamalu is dealing with several leg and foot issues, not just one, leading some to call him....(gulp).... broken down.

It's pretty hard to skim over concussions when talking about Troy. Of course the front offices, coaches, and medical staff of the Steelers don't want to catch blame for concussions ruining his year, let alone his career. He's an article from ESPN describing Troy's concussion problems.

[quote]

[b] Troy Polamalu: I've hid concussions[/b]

Updated: July 18, 2012, 3:58 PM ETESPN.com news services

With the NFL set to face scores of concussion-related lawsuits from thousands of former players, [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers"]Pittsburgh Steelers[/url] safety [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4474/troy-polamalu"]Troy Polamalu[/url] admitted Wednesday that he's lied about head injuries in the past in order to remain on the field.
[indent]“When you get your bell rung they consider that a concussion -- I wouldn't ... If that is considered a concussion, I'd say any football player at least records 50 to 100 concussions a year.
” -- Steelers safety Troy Polamalu[/indent]
"Yes, I have, for sure," Polamalu told the Dan Patrick Show, also noting that he has chosen to continue playing injured in games when the team's medical staff would tell him not to.
Polamalu said he didn't tell any "major lies" when it comes to concussions, but explained that football players see a distinction between a hit to the head that completely removes you from play and a lighter one that doctors view as a concussion.
"I've had, I believe, eight or nine recorded concussions. We'll have another conversation after I'm done playing football," Polamalu told the show. "When you get your bell rung they consider that a concussion -- I wouldn't ... If that is considered a concussion, I'd say any football player at least records 50 to 100 concussions a year."
The four-time All-Pro related it to a knee injury that a player can get through.
"Somebody may say, 'Is your knee messed up?' It may be kind of messed up but you just kind of push yourself to be out there with your brothers," Polamalu said. "I wouldn't say there are any major lies where I totally lied my way out of concussions. In fact, during concussions, if it's serious enough you can't even be conscious enough to lie."
More than 2,400 retired NFL players are now plaintiffs against the league, claiming the NFL knew repeated concussions could lead to brain damage and yet hid the information.
But Polamalu is the latest current player to admit being willing to hide a head injury. Bears Pro Bowl linebacker [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2140/brian-urlacher"]Brian Urlacher[/url] admitted in February he also would lie about a concussion to stay on the field.

[b] Concussions in Sports[/b]

What is a concussion? What are the various professional sports leagues doing to prevent and treat them? ESPN.com Topics has the breakdown on all concussion-related issues. [b][url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/topics/_/page/concussions"]Topics »[/url][/b]
Polamalu, who started all 16 games last season, said he's willing to conceal a concussion because of the commitment players make to their teammates and the sport.
"There's so much built up about team camaraderie and sacrifice, and football is such a tough man's game," Polamalu told the Dan Patrick Show. "I think that's why it's so popular, why so many blue-collar communities and people feel really attracted to it, because it's sort of a blue-collar struggle that football players go through in terms of the physicality of the game and the commitment you need. ... It's that commitment you need to play football. You feel sore, you're beat up, you're injured, you're legitimately injured, most people may take three months off to work in an office, we choose to play the next week."
[/quote]

Hmm I wasn't allowed to link the story. Does that mean I can't list the article? If I can't let me know and I'll just pull out excerpts of it.

[b] Notes: Burfict chases CFA record; SS Polamalu, RT Gilbert out for Steelers; Orange Out[/b]

[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Posted 11 minutes ago[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]With WILL linebacker [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/vontaze-burfict/941b89df-2666-4d9f-810e-9b889ba417eb/"]Vontaze Burfict[/url] set to make his fifth NFL start in Sunday's game against the Steelers at sold-out Paul Brown Stadium (8:20 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 5), he's on track to set a Bengals rookie record.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]According to the Elias Sports Bureau, middle linebacker Armegis Spearman holds the club record for most starts by an undrafted rookie when he made 11 for the 2000 Bengals. Left tackle Kevin Sargent is the only other college free agent rookie to start as many as half the team’s games since the 1970 merger when he made eight in place of injured future Hall-of-Famer Anthony Munoz in 1992.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Sargent, out of Eastern Washington, came out of a draft that had 12 rounds. Both Spearman, from Mississippi, and Burfict, out of Arizona State, were pursued after the seventh and last round.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Both backers also got their shots because of early season-ending injuries. Spearman got the call when Brian Simmons tore knee cartilage off the bone on the last play of the third quarter during the first regular-season game in PBS against Cleveland on Sept. 10, 2000. Almost 12 years to the day,[url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/thomas-howard/f5e10c69-eb41-48c5-a572-93cf2c5ae315/"]Thomas Howard[/url] tore his ACL last month during a blitz in practice.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Burfict has quickly adjusted to a position he never played before Howard got hurt. A lifelong middle backer, Burfict led the team in tackles for the second time this season in Cleveland Sunday with 11, the third time he's hit double figures.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]SLANTS AND SCREENS:[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Steelers coach Mike Tomlin ruled out two starters from Sunday's game when he shelved strong safety Troy Polamalu and right tackle Marcus Gilbert…[/size][/font][/b][/color]
[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Broncos' Peyton Manning moved past the Bengals' [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/andy-dalton/9378c4ed-938c-434c-929d-4d45fe252101/"]Andy Dalton[/url] for the AFC top spot in fourth-quarter passing Monday night when he staged a comeback remarkable even for him. Manning is tied with the Bears' Jay Cutler for the NFL lead with a 118.4 fourth-quarter passer rating. Dalton is second in the AFC and third in the NFL during the fourth at 113.5 on 42-for-60 passing at 70 percent for 585 yards with six TDs and three interceptions. The two meet for the first time when the Broncos come to PBS. Nov. 4…[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Bengals are referring to Sunday night as "Orange Out," with fans urged to wear orange. Orange towels are to be handed out at the gates as long as supplies last…[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#393939][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Burfict-chases-CFA-record-SS-Polamalu-RT-Gilbert-out-for-Steelers-Orange-Out/ef473468-368c-4e13-b044-c123bca61806"]http://www.bengals.c...44-c123bca61806[/url][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350416309' post='1171382']
It's pretty hard to skim over concussions when talking about Troy. Of course the front offices, coaches, and medical staff of the Steelers don't want to catch blame for concussions ruining his year, let alone his career.
[/quote]

No argument. But that said, Polamalu reinjured himself pushing a WR in the back. Not quite a no-contact injury, but close enough to rule out concussions when discussing what's keeping Polamalu off the field, both now and before.

Moving on, your own post recapping Troy's history of concussion shows two important things. First, that Polamalu will willingly play after being concussed, and just as important....the Steelers will happily let him do so. So with both parties in perfect agreement it's safe to assume concussions will NOT end Troy Polamalu's career. If he can run he'll play. But apparently all bets are off if his lower legs are breaking down, and the talking head said that's exactly what we're seeing. And to that end he claimed the end could be closer than most people realize...especially if Polamalu has another setback while rehabbing.

[quote name='HairOnFire' timestamp='1350418128' post='1171392']
No argument. But that said, Polamalu reinjured himself pushing a WR in the back. Not quite a no-contact injury, but close enough to rule out concussions when discussing what's keeping Polamalu off the field, both now and before.

Moving on, your own post recapping Troy's history of concussion shows two important things. First, that Polamalu will willingly play after being concussed, and just as important....the Steelers will happily let him do so. So with both parties in perfect agreement it's safe to assume concussions will NOT end Troy Polamalu's career. If he can run he'll play. But apparently all bets are off if his lower legs are breaking down, and the talking head said that's exactly what we're seeing. And to that end he claimed the end could be closer than most people realize...especially if Polamalu has another setback while rehabbing.
[/quote]

I'm not arguing that other injuries have taken a toll on his body. Lots of times some concussions can be glanced over as nothing but a headache or what have you. As long a guy can run, tackle, and communicate, a lot of teams aren't going to pull him off the field. Knowing that Polamalu had had as many as 7 or 8 ' reported' concussions, and the fact the next one might kill or do significant damage, what should the Steelers play be?

This just in, James Harrison is a tool:

[quote]
PITTSBURGH -- [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers"]Pittsburgh Steelers[/url] linebacker [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4433/james-harrison"]James Harrison[/url] didn't want to wait for the NFL to do something about protecting his head, so the four-time Pro Bowler decided to do it himself.

[b] After enduring what he estimated as "double digit" bouts with concussion-like symptoms throughout his decade-long career, Harrison began using a special layer of padding inside his helmet last fall and is pleased with the results.[/b]

[/quote]

Any one else thinking the same thing I am thinking? The Steelers front office must have their thumb on the medical staff. It brings me a reminder of Any Given Sunday where Laurence Taylor's character is told any next hit can be his last. It also reminds me of how shady James Wood's character was, telling players wrong diagnosis' and giving them whatever pills or shots they needed to play.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/Bengals"][b]Cincinnati Bengals[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Join us Saturday, Oct. 20 in the Pro Shop from Noon-1pm with[url="https://twitter.com/TheLawFirmBJGE"][s]@[/s][b]TheLawFirmBJGE[/b][/url] & [url="https://twitter.com/BOOMHERRON1"][s]@[/s][b]BOOMHERRON1[/b][/url] for an Official Bengals Autograph Session![/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350419603' post='1171398']
This just in, James Harrison is a tool:

Any one else thinking the same thing I am thinking? The Steelers front office must have their thumb on the medical staff. It brings me a reminder of Any Given Sunday where Laurence Taylor's character is told any next hit can be his last. It also reminds me of how shady James Wood's character was, telling players wrong diagnosis' and giving them whatever pills or shots they needed to play.
[/quote]

You mean the medical staff that was busted buying performance enhancing drugs a few years back?

Listen, i hear people consistantly getting on the case of this defense, especially Newman. I am here to tell ya, the defense is not what lost them the game this week or last week for that matter. In fact, with some of the situations they were put in this past week, they would have gotten beat by 3 touchdowns if it wasnt for the defense. Bottom line......the offense needs to start producing on a weekly basis or its going to continue to be a long year for everybody. No defense in the world can keep an nfl team from scoring when they are consistently defending a short field. I hope they shock the world this week and just come out and sock the shit outta Pittsburgh in mouth from the offensive side of the ball.

[quote name='WhoDeyRG' timestamp='1350442121' post='1171445']
Can we all agree that a win against the steelers on national TV quickly makes us forget about the last two weeks.
[/quote]

No, because we lose either way:

If we win, it's because the stealers (who would then have a record of 2 - 4) suck this year.

If we lose, we're the same old bengals with a losing record (3 - 4) that can't have winning seasons back to back, or win a playoff game for 20 years...blah blah blah...

[quote name='WhoDeyRG' timestamp='1350442121' post='1171445']
Can we all agree that a win against the steelers on national TV quickly makes us forget about the last two weeks.
[/quote]

No.

The last two weeks reminded me of the previous half dozen years.
A team that is unprepared and lackadaisical and the mismanagement of the clock.
All that was missing was a blown replay call.
Heard Lapham last night and what he pointed out was at the end of the half if was not how much time was or was not
remaining on the clock when Andy spiked it, it was the previous 34 seconds that led up to that.
Marv did not trust out defense enough to score and turn the ball over to Cleveland (of all people) with three time outs left
and a few seconds and screwed around burning seconds being indecisive and communicating with Gruden.

Unprepared teams and clock mismanagement are a Marvin trade mark.
Ditto inability to make adjustments at half time much less on the field but I thought was over with.

I have said before that beating Pittsburgh has been this team's Super Bowl for many years.

A win over Steelers does a whole lot of good for this team, IMO. You don't want 3-4 hanging over your head in a bye week then hearing about doom and gloom facing Broncos.

Historically it suggest that beating Steelers is key. With the AFC medicore records at this time it would also be big.

[url="https://twitter.com/GeoffHobsonCin"][b]Geoff Hobson[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]GeoffHobsonCin[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Lewis says DT Sims won't come off [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url] PUP this week.[/background][/font][/color]

[url="https://twitter.com/GeoffHobsonCin"][b]Geoff Hobson[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]GeoffHobsonCin[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Lewis says [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url] RB Leonard won t work today but daytoday[/background][/font][/color]

Lewis says [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url] Kirkpatrick as good as he's seen him.[/background][/font][/color]

Lewis won't rule out Kirkpatrick for # Bengals Sunday night[/background][/font][/color]

[url="https://twitter.com/CBSBengals"][b]Bengals RapidReports[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]CBSBengals[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Lewis: Been really impressed with Dre Kirkpatrick in practice. More impressed than any time he's been here.[/background][/font][/color]

[url="https://twitter.com/CBSBengals"][b]Bengals RapidReports[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]CBSBengals[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Lewis on Dre avail Sun: "It's possible. I don't want to close the door to it and look like I'm fibbing."[/background][/font][/color]

[color=#292929]
[b]Game: [/b]Pittsburgh Steelers (2-3) at Cincinnati Bengals (3-3)
[b]Time[/b]: 8:20 PM (ET)
[b]Location[/b]: Paul Brown Stadium
[b]Series Leader[/b]: Steelers, 51-32
[b]Streak[/b]: Steelers have won 12 of the past 16
[b]Coaches vs. Opponent[/b]: Lewis: 14-5. Tomlin: 5-14
[b]Broadcast[/b]: NBC (8:20 PM ET): Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya (Field reporter). Dial Global Radio: Dave Sims, James Lofton, Steve Tasker (Field reporter). SIRIUS: 94 (DGR), 92 (Pit.), 93 (Cin.). XM: 227 (DGR), 225 (Pit.), 226 (Cin.).
[b]SB Nation:[/b] [url="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/"]Behind the Steel Curtain[/url]
[b]NFL.com[/b]: [url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012102110/2012/REG7/steelers@bengals"]Game Center[/url]
[b]Weather[/b]: Partly cloud and 59 degrees [[url="http://www.wunderground.com/sports/NFL/hometeam/Cincinnati:Bengals.html?st=1350850800"]Weather Underground[/url]]
[b]Uniform[/b]: Orange[/color][color=#292929]
[b]CINCINNATI BENGALS[/b][/color][list]
[*]Bengals quarterback [b]Andy Dalton[/b] posted a career-best 381 yards passing last week.
[*]Dalton ranks second in the AFC with a 113.5 fourth-quarter passer rating (Peyton Manning, 118.4).
[*]Since 2010 Bengals running back [b]BenJarvus Green-Ellis[/b]is tied for second in the NFL with 26 rushing touchdowns.
[*][b]Cedric Peerman[/b] posted a career high in receptions (8) and yards receiving (76) last week.
[*]Wide receiver [b]A.J. Green[/b] posted a career-high two receiving touchdowns and looks to continue his consecutive games with a touchdown streak to six.
[*]Green posted his seventh career 100-yard receiving game last week.
[*]Tight end [b]Jermaine Gresham[/b] generated a career-high 68 yards receiving, including a 55-yard touchdown reception.
[*]Gresham is tied for third among all tight ends in the AFC with 25 receptions.
[*]Defense ranks second in the NFL and first in the AFC with 20 quarterback sacks.
[*]Defensive end [b]Michael Johnson[/b] recorded his second interception of his career last week. Needs only 1.5 quarterback sacks to surpass a career-high of six.
[*]Cornerback [b]Leon Hall[/b] posted an interception in his last game against the Steelers.
[/list][color=#292929]
[b]PITTSBURGH STEELERS[/b][/color][list]
[*]Steelers have won five straight against the Bengals.
[*]Ohio native, quarterback [b]Ben Roethlisberger[/b] is 14-2 in Ohio (7-1 at Cincinnati; 7-1 at Cleveland).
[*]Roethlisberger (28,066) surpassed Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw (27,989) for most yards passing in franchise history. Currently averaging 330.7 yards passing per game on the road in 2012, second-best in the NFL (Drew Brees, 385.5).
[*]Running back [b]Rashard Mendenhall[/b] tied a career-best two rushing touchdowns against Cincinnati on November 13, 2011 and December 4, 2011.
[*]Running back [b]Isaac Redman[/b] (105) became the first STeelers running back with 100-yard receiving in a game since Frenchy Fuqua (116) on November 29, 1970 against Tennessee.
[*]Wide receiver [b]Mike Wallace[/b] tied a career-best two touchdowns in his last game against the Bengals.
[*]Linebacker [b]LaMarr Woodley[/b] has eight career sacks against the Bengals, most against any team.
[*]Linebacker [b]James Harrison[/b] (59) needs 1.5 sacks to surpass Keith Willis (59) and Joey Porter (60) for second-most sacks in franchise history.
[*]Punt returner [b]Antonio Brown[/b] posted a 60-yard punt return for touchdown in his last game against the Bengals.
[/list]
[color=#292929][size=1]
[url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/10/17/3514854/primer-pittsburgh-steelers-2-3-at-cincinnati-bengals-3-3"]http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/10/17/3514854/primer-pittsburgh-steelers-2-3-at-cincinnati-bengals-3-3[/url][/size][/color]

As expected, no RB Leonard practicing. Also, Dontay Moch not participating.[/background][/font][/color]

Archived