Steelers Week Notes

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/GeoffHobsonCin"][b]Geoff Hobson[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]GeoffHobsonCin[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url] RBLeonard says getting X-Ray on rib Monday[/background][/font][/color]

This in from next week's headlines:

Bengal WR AJ Green is scheduled to have an MRI on his knee next Monday morning following the blatant blind side below-the-waist hit by (insert Steeler here ) he took directly to the outside of the knee while engaged in a block against (insert 2nd Steeler here) during a running play on the opposide side of the field.

SW Pennsylvania-based Washington and Jefferson alum Roger Goodell declined to issue a fine against (insert Steeler here) for the hit, saying that "toughness is a part of the game".

[color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]What the Steelers have going for them in this game:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Ben Roethlisberger is playing at a high level. He’s always been an outstanding quarterback, but his efficiency this year has gone up another level. If he remains patient and does not get frustrated, he can control this game. Mendenhall’s Achilles injury is not severe and he may be available for the game. However if he isn’t, both Baron Batch and Chris Rainey showed promise during the game with the Titans. Mendenhall is a great spark for the offense, but Batch and Rainey had their own explosive moments last week too. It’s also good news that the Steelers wide receivers and tight ends remain healthy. The Bengals cornerbacks have been injury ridden so the offense might find some holes in the Bengals defensive coverage. Also, the Steelers have a few more days off than the Bengals do to rest up and prepare.[/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]What the Steelers have going against them:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
One word: injuries. The offensive line is beat up AGAIN. During the game with the Titan’s, the injuries just kept coming. It’s not surprising with their style of play, but hopefully the extra time off will get them healthy. If Roethlisberger is continually rushed or chased out of the pocket, his efficiency will go down the drain. On the other side of the ball, defensive injuries are working against the Steelers and opponents are able to take advantage. Unfamiliar adjustments continue to make the Steelers look unpolished and ill-prepared, which really doesn’t speak to their talent and capability. Woodley’s presence was sorely missed in the last game; however, there is no one position or person to point to that would fix everything. It’s cumulative just like it always is. Getting any one player back won’t cure everything, so the adjustments need to be routine, not a surprise.[/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]What the Steelers need to watch out for:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
The Steelers haven’t won an away game in 2012. The Bengals will have the home field advantage. Sure, there will be some Steelers fans in the crown, but the majority of the fans will be behind the Bengals. Some of the Steelers may not have shaken off the loss to the Titans and this could rattle them more. Andy Dalton has a quarterback rating of 92.9 and he’s had some great games. A.J. Green is a challenge to defend. His 2012 numbers show he is on track to surpass last year, as long as he remains healthy. Even with a previous knee injury, Green had seven receptions with two touchdowns against the Browns.[/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]What the Steelers may be able to exploit:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
The Bengals have tough losses in their last two games. The loss against the underdog Dolphins on Oct 7[sup]th[/sup]was unexpected and they followed that with loss to the Browns, another division rival on the 14[sup]th[/sup]. Even though Dalton has a great QBR, his interception rate is high already, so the defense should be able to exploit some of Dalton’s throwing decisions. The team is digging out of a hole and the emotion can either work against them or for them.[/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[b]What the Steelers need most:[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Belief. Ignore the criticism from people like me and get your heads in the game and play. Plenty of teams have managed to win with less talent than the Steelers have. I’ve said it before: the joy of playing does not seem to be there. The players understand what they need to do to turn the season around, but they must share the belief that it CAN be done and that they enjoy competing with their teammates. A win against the Bengals, on the road—in the Bengals’ house, will go a long way to stirring the can-do attitude they need.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[url="http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/10/15/steelers-playing-the-bengals-always-a-challenge/"]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/10/15/steelers-playing-the-bengals-always-a-challenge/[/url][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1350310703' post='1170915']
Not really looking forward to this game anymore. I expected us to be coming in 5-1 or 4-2 at worst ready to show we belong in the playoff talk. Now I just feel like if we win it's because the Steelers aren't that good or they had a bad day.
[/quote]

I don't care how good or bad the steelers are. A win over the steelers is a win over the steelers. It would also give the team a huge mental boost to beat a team they've struggled to consistently beat.

Not really looking forward to this game anymore. I expected us to be coming in 5-1 or 4-2 at worst ready to show we belong in the playoff talk. Now I just feel like if we win it's because the Steelers aren't that good or they had a bad day.
[/quote]

I don't care how or why we beat the stealers. Just do it.

[/quote]

90, 96, 01, 09

Going by memory those are the last seasons in which bengals beat them at home.

Never overlook the Steelers and never overlook beating them.

We will have the task of covering Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace and Heath Miller. I honestly don't see the HEALTHY players on our roster than can do this with regularity. The only thing going for us is their running game is about as good as ours, maybe even worse which is hard to believe. If Mendenhall is near 100% that may change.

If Woodley and Polamalu are back and healthy, our offense will have issues. Ike Taylor is playing well.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1350312938' post='1170931']
Ike Taylor is playing well.
[/quote]

I have not followed that much, but I hear the exact opposite on Ike. I hear he's having an absolutely horrible season.

here's what he did Thursday.

[quote][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Taylor allowed eight catches by four different receivers and gave up 115 yards and a touchdown. He was penalized twice for 30 yards (a third flag was declined). And he would’ve allowed 20 more receiving yards had Kenny Britt not dropped two passes. Taylor was targeted 15 times.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Read more: [url="http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2738524-85/taylor-yards-third-game-steelers-titans-call-kaboly-mark-allowed#ixzz29NZrrbeO"]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2738524-85/taylor-yards-third-game-steelers-titans-call-kaboly-mark-allowed#ixzz29NZrrbeO[/url] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Follow us: [/size][/font][/color][url="http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive"]@triblive on Twitter[/url][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3] | [/size][/font][/color][url="http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive"]triblive on Facebook[/url][/quote]

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1350312938' post='1170931']
We will have the task of covering Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace and Heath Miller. I honestly don't see the HEALTHY players on our roster than can do this with regularity. The only thing going for us is their running game is about as good as ours, maybe even worse which is hard to believe. If Mendenhall is near 100% that may change.

If Woodley and Polamalu are back and healthy, our offense will have issues. Ike Taylor is playing well.
[/quote]

Wallace has been Mr. Invisible, save for 1 game this season against Oakland (sure, he had the 82 yard catch and run last week, but he had a whopping 1 catch the rest of the game.). Brown has been underperforming, in my opinion. He's been getting open, but has had a bad case of the dropsies so far this season. I had high hopes for him coming into this season, but he hasn't lived up to them, yet.

Miller has been playing outstanding football. Our old OC Bruce Arians apparently didn't think Miller was an eligible receiver, because he almost flat out refused to let him run patterns (usually keeping him in to block). Haley has used Miller much more effectively and Miller is taking full advantage of it.

Woodley has been pretty ineffective when he has been in the lineup. He appears to be about 40 pounds overweight and has shown very little ability to beat blocks, often getting neutralized by TEs and even RBs. That said, Woodley has shown in past years that he can flip the switch after a slump and become dominant again.

Polamalu is still really effective when he's in the game...that just doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. His calf issue doesn't seem like it's going to go away anytime soon. If he does play Sunday, I almost expect him to not finish the game.

Ike is where the real fun begins. He's probably the most polarizing player on the Steelers right now. He's been drawing a lot of PI flags lately, and has given up some big plays. Some of the PI flags are bogus calls for sure, but others aren't. My personal take is that I think he's playing at a slightly lower level than in years past, but is still pretty solid. I think most Steeler fans that don't like Ike mostly don't take into account how much harder it is to play DB in today's NFL. Yes, he has given up a few plays, and has drawn some flags...but so has every other CB in the league. Ike was one of the most underrated CBs in the league for most of his career, and I think most Steeler fans just didn't realize how spoiled they were to have him. And now that his play looks to have slipped a little, everyone thinks the sky is falling with him.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1350313866' post='1170936']
Wallace has been Mr. Invisible, save for 1 game this season against Oakland (sure, he had the 82 yard catch and run last week, but he had a whopping 1 catch the rest of the game.). Brown has been underperforming, in my opinion. He's been getting open, but has had a bad case of the dropsies so far this season. I had high hopes for him coming into this season, but he hasn't lived up to them, yet.

Miller has been playing outstanding football. Our old OC Bruce Arians apparently didn't think Miller was an eligible receiver, because he almost flat out refused to let him run patterns (usually keeping him in to block). Haley has used Miller much more effectively and Miller is taking full advantage of it.

Woodley has been pretty ineffective when he has been in the lineup. He appears to be about 40 pounds overweight and has shown very little ability to beat blocks, often getting neutralized by TEs and even RBs. That said, Woodley has shown in past years that he can flip the switch after a slump and become dominant again.

Polamalu is still really effective when he's in the game...that just doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. His calf issue doesn't seem like it's going to go away anytime soon. If he does play Sunday, I almost expect him to not finish the game.

Ike is where the real fun begins. He's probably the most polarizing player on the Steelers right now. He's been drawing a lot of PI flags lately, and has given up some big plays. Some of the PI flags are bogus calls for sure, but others aren't. My personal take is that I think he's playing at a slightly lower level than in years past, but is still pretty solid. I think most Steeler fans that don't like Ike mostly don't take into account how much harder it is to play DB in today's NFL. Yes, he has given up a few plays, and has drawn some flags...but so has every other CB in the league. Ike was one of the most underrated CBs in the league for most of his career, and I think most Steeler fans just didn't realize how spoiled they were to have him. And now that his play looks to have slipped a little, everyone thinks the sky is falling with him.
[/quote]

overall, how is the steelers pass rush?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350314186' post='1170937']
overall, how is the steelers pass rush?
[/quote]

It started the season out out very poor. Woodley wasn't effective at all, as mentioned, and Harrison was out with his knee injury. So pressure off the edge was non-existent.

However, two weeks ago vs Philly, we got James Harrison back and also wised up and started bringing pressure up the middle with Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote. During the Philly game, we terrorized Vick with Timmons, which led to all kinds of turnovers.

We weren't quite as effective vs TEN, but were still much better during that game than we were for the first few games of the season.

This next game should be very interesting to see what direction we go, and to tell us whether that recent success on the pass rush is a just a fad that may taken advantage of a weakness common to two teams, or if it really is a fundamental fix we made that we can continue to benefit from going forward.

Also, if/when Troy goes out, your playbook should change and be reduced to exactly one sentence.

"Throw at Ryan Mundy".

I saw a stat last week saying that Ryan Mundy has personally accounted for over 50% of the TDs our defense has given up this season. I have no idea what source that came from, or how accurate it really is, but having seen all of the games, I don't doubt it. And that tells you all you really need to know.

Polamalu is the key. He's not as fast as he was but that D plays with so much more confidence when he plays. If he's out, I like our chances of possibly winning a high scoring game. If he's back, I don't much like our chances.

I feel like after the last two weeks, I've come to terms with what I feel to be the fact that this is just an average Bengals team. I can't get a feel for the Steelers yet. They may be every bit as average as we are. If that is the case, we need to win this game and keep our playoff hopes alive. A loss would make playoffs a massive uphill climb.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1350319490' post='1170955']
If Heath Miller is available on the waiver wire in your league (i dunno some people have 6 team leagues) pick him up because I don't see how we hold him to under 10 catches. We can't even cover shitty TEs.
[/quote]

Agreed. The Steelers passing game is a tough matchup in general for our D. They have a lot of speed outside and a very good TE. They also have decent third and fourth WRs who can exploit favorable match ups. I think we are going to have to score high 20s at least to win.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1350319490' post='1170955']
If Heath Miller is available on the waiver wire in your league (i dunno some people have 6 team leagues) pick him up because I don't see how we hold him to under 10 catches. We can't even cover shitty TEs.
[/quote]

as much as this has been discussed, TE's aren't really hurting them too bad this year. If I can dig up the stats, its RB's and FB's that are hurting them the most.

Fred Davis is really the only TE to do major damage on them.

On the season here are the stats given up to TE's through 6 games:

31 catches for 381yds and 3 TD's.

An average of 5 catches for 63yds per game. Not really that bad. The amount of catches aren't hurting them, though the 12.3 yards per catch stings a little.

[url="https://twitter.com/CincyJungle"][b]Josh Kirkendall[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]CincyJungle[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
In last three games, Bengals D has held opposing offenses to a combined 2.8 yard/rush average.[/background][/font][/color]

[url="https://twitter.com/CBSBengals"][b]Bengals RapidReports[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]CBSBengals[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
For all the talk about treacherous [url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bengals&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]Bengals[/b][/url] schedule, only 3 of the remaining 10 opponents own a winning record.[/background][/font][/color]

I certainly think we can beat the Stealers but we have a habit of saying that quite often then being totally outcoached and getting our asses kicked. It is a prime time Sunday Night game which we always seem to lay eggs in.

Archived