Bengals bring back Maualuga

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-bring-back-Maualuga/383ea8be-953a-432b-bcff-3b275a94aaa0

PHOENIX, Ariz. — The Bengals added some tread to their youthful linebacking corps Monday when they announced the re-signing of Rey Maualuga and made him the club's most seasoned player at the position. 

After starting 29 games the last two seasons at middle linebacker, Maualuga may be headed back to SAM backer at the spot he played his first two seasons when he started 30 games. Vontaze Burfict, a middle linebacker, is coming off a rookie season he started 14 games at WILL backer but showed why he is considered a natural middle linebacker with 174 tackles.

The 6-2, 242-pound Maualuga's downhill strength against the run would be a boon at the SAM spot. The coaches, led by the linebackers coach Paul Guenther, haven't tipped their hands on what the lineup is going to be but they have wanted Maualuga to return.

"Rey is a big, physical guy who plays with a lot of passion and energy," Guenther said. "He knows the defense and he can play a couple of different spots, and that's going to give us some flexibility as well as some experience in our room."

Maualuga has his share of detractors and even he questioned if he'd be back after strugging mightily in what he called "an audition" during running back Arian Foster's 140-yard rushing effort for the Texans in the Bengals Wild Card loss in Houston.

But besides Guenther, Maualuga has three big fans at Paul Brown Stadium and they are three of the biggest fans anyone needs: Bengals president Mike Brown, head coach Marvin Lewis, and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

"If he’s not here people are going to miss him and say we should have had him. That’s how it works, like Justin Smith,” Zimmer said at the NFL Scouting Combine last month. “He can (play SAM), but if I remember correctly after his second year and Dhani (Jones) left, everyone was saying he should move to the MIKE when he played pretty good at SAM. But he’s got to go to the MIKE linebacker, wasn’t that what everyone was saying? 'Oh, Maualuga is going to MIKE, yeah.' Now everyone is going 'he should have stayed at SAM.' You can’t win.”

Another guy that has been raving about Maualuga is NFL media maven Jay Glazier, who doubles as an MMA trainer for players. Glazier said Sunday here at the meetings that Maualuga began working with him last week in grueling double sessions at the Athletic Gaines facility in Los Angeles. Maualuga works with Glazier in the cage from 9-10:15 a.m., takes a break with a massage, and then does his field work, running and lifting from 10:30-11:30.

"How many guys are doing double sessions in March?" Glazier asked. "He's picked up some things faster than anybody ever has. The guy's a freak when it comes to being an athlete. Part of what we do is to try to instill a fighter's mentality. But he's already got that. He already thinks like that. The guy is a warrior."

What Glazier has Maualuga working on is leverage while educating him on how the body moves in tight, wrestling quarters. Glazier has Maualuga matched with fighters as well as himself and doing such moves as double leg takedowns to give him the feel.

"We're doing a ton of Greco Roman wrestling trying to get him to lower his body level and get him used to different bodies working against him," Glazier said. "We're also working on violent hand fighting."

But Glazier says the biggest thing is working on conditioning. He says the core idea of his training is to get players ready for the fourth quarter.

"You look at the guy across from you and you're thinking, 'I've already done worse things in MMA training,' " Glazier said. "He works extremely hard. He's losing six pounds a session with me."

DEPTH CHART

With Maualuga in the fold, here's how the Bengals currently line up at backer:

Vontaze Burfict - 2nd year, 16 games, 14 starts: After playing MLB his whole life, took the league by storm with 174 tackles at WILL.

Brandon Joiner - First year, 0 games, 0 starts: Undrafted out of Arkansas State, missed his rookie year when he served jail time for an incident stemming from his freshman year at Texas A&M. In 2011 he was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference with 13 sacks and 19 tackles for loss.

Emmanuel Lamur - 2nd year, 10 games, one start: A WLB who runs extremely well for his size of 6-4, 230 pounds. His one start came in the playoffs.

Rey Maualuga - 5th year, 60 games, 59 starts: Has started at both MLB and SAM.

Aaron Maybin - 5th year, 48 games, one start: In stints with the Jets and Bills, the former No. 1 pick has never played SAM regularly.

Dontay Moch – 2nd year, 0 games, 0 starts: The third-round pick in 2011 has been sidelined by frequent headaches, putting a screeching halt to his transition from college DE to SAM. He could end up moving back to DE if his headaches clear up.

Vincent Rey - 4th year, 34 games, one start: A WLB who rarely plays from scrimmage and is a core special-teamer.

J.K. Schaffer - First year, 0 games, 0 starts; After signing as a free agent with Jacksonville out of the University of Cincinnati, he spent two weeks on the Tampa Bay practice squad at the beginning of the season before landing on his hometown (La Salle High) team's practice squad for the last eight games and playoffs. Projected as a guy that can possibly play all three spots, he was one of only four players to log 100 tackles in three seasons in Big East history. 

many won't like it, but it helps the depth of the unit covering two of the three spots.

I'm not happy with the way Rey played recently but I think he would be better suited at Sam. As long as the guy isn't on the field on obvious passing downs ill be happy. I stil think Rey is a decent run stopper even if he isn't a play maker.

Get Howard back and draft a WLB to compete with him in the first 2 rounds and ill be ok with our LB situation.

christ, its not the worst thing in the world, but i hate signing guys you have to hide in the defense because they are a liability. him in coverage will literally cost us games.

lets hope for a solid draft, since we lost 1 if not two of our other LB options..

did howard sign anywhere yet? i want that guy back BADLY..

Hooray for mediocrity

Not a bad depth signing.  If he's relied upon for anything though, Bengals are in trouble.  I do like that he's training with Glazier though.  Love it actually.  Didn't do shit for Rivers but Maualuga can benefit from this type of training more so than Rivers IMO. 

christ, its not the worst thing in the world, but i hate signing guys you have to hide in the defense because they are a liability. him in coverage will literally cost us games.

lets hope for a solid draft, since we lost 1 if not two of our other LB options..

did howard sign anywhere yet? i want that guy back BADLY..

Howard is still out there. I too would like to see him return.

The SLB is rarely in coverage. It just isn't part of the job description, so he should do just fine there.

I like this resigning. Should be an above average starter at SLB. He is also a good backup option in the middle if Vontaze gets hurt.

I'm glad he's back and will be rooting for him to be successful. He may be a two-down guy at SAM, but we will have Lamur and Howard who are both good cover LBs for passing situations.

Just use him in a role where he can be successful.

Cheerleaders have already been filled I believe...

Not a bad depth signing.  If he's relied upon for anything though, Bengals are in trouble.  I do like that he's training with Glazier though.  Love it actually.  Didn't do shit for Rivers but Maualuga can benefit from this type of training more so than Rivers IMO. 

as long as they make him compete and earn a starting spot, don't see why anyone would have an issue.  Has extensive starting experience at two positions in the system.  Even if Burfict is in the middle, they still needed a backup MLB.  

Also love that he's working with Glazier.  "A fighter's mentality" is exactly what Rey needs.  His issues aren't diagnosing plays and knowing what gap to hit, its actually being aggressive in hitting those gaps and shedding blockers.

Looks like Hobson just updated that article from yesterday and it includes a quote from Marvin saying they should be able to bring Thomas Howard back. Awesome news.

If you have Burfict, Howard and Maualuga in the fold prior to the draft, it doesn't mean you shouldn't still take a LB early, but it gives you enough flexibility that you don't have to reach for a LB. Also gives you more of a chance to go BPA if a guy at another position unexpectedly drops to you.

I'm glad he's back and will be rooting for him to be successful. He may be a two-down guy at SAM, but we will have Lamur and Howard who are both good cover LBs for passing situations.

Just use him in a role where he can be successful.

Lamur is a backup, dont see him being much of a factor at all. I'm more interested in seeing if Zimmer can do another turn around project with Maybin.

Not to get this thread too off topic, but here is the quote I referred to in the above post

"The players are getting anxious. Hopefully these things will get put to rest the next couple of days," Lewis said.
Lewis also said he thought the Bengals would end up re-signing WILL backer Thomas Howard as he rehabs the torn ACL he suffered the second week of the regular season, but "we have to deal with the physical condition. Hopefully we have every opportunity to get Thomas signed."

If Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer, two of the best defensive minds in the NFL, co-sign this guy then I'm all for it. They know what Rey is supposed to be doing and how he is doing it.

ProFootballFocus and all these other arm chair GM's who don't know what Rey's assignments are and how THE BENGALS grade him out after each game, they are the one that count since they are cutting his checks, can hate on this all they want but Rey is a solid player who is just scratching the surface of his ability.

There is always going to be a whipping boy when things don't go the way fans want to be, it used to be Ohalete, then Livings, and now it's Rey...but this is the ultimate team sport and it's rarely one guys fault when things break down. Sure Rey could have made a few more plays, wrapped up better in certain situations, etc...but he was the MLB on a defense that was top 10 two years in a row and if it wasn't for the offense not showing up for the last month of the season the Bengals could have won a playoff last year. I think people see his tats, long hair, and USC hype and think he's going to be a Troy P/Ray Lewis hybrid but he can only do what he can do. It's up the coaches to put him in situations that he can shine in and I think that is what will happen with him going forward.

Glad to have Rey back in the fold, all of you haters can eat of bowl dicks.

as long as they make him compete and earn a starting spot, don't see why anyone would have an issue.  Has extensive starting experience at two positions in the system.  Even if Burfict is in the middle, they still needed a backup MLB.  

Also love that he's working with Glazier.  "A fighter's mentality" is exactly what Rey needs.  His issues aren't diagnosing plays and knowing what gap to hit, its actually being aggressive in hitting those gaps and shedding blockers.

I agree that having a fighters mentality is part of his issue, but disagree about knowing his gaps, I think Rey just isnt very smart, I think having Jones next to him is what made him play as well as he did when he was the SAM.

I think the way this will play out over the next 6 months is that:

1. Burfict is handed the MLB job without much competition, maybe vs. a late round rookie
2. Maualuga and Lamur compete for the SLB job.
3. Thomas Howard and an early round draft pick compete for WLB

Overall, that looks like a pretty good group.

If you read the article again, Glazier actually says he already possesses a fighter/warrior's mentality and is picking things up very quickly.   I think his issue is he's got confidence issues and this is reinforced each and every day in practice.  He's preoccupying his mind with the desire to not let his teammates down, his coaches down, to make the play, to make the tackle.  This causes tension to build up within the body, causing movement that's not natural......full of tension.  Bad, bad thing.   He induces anxiety on himself.  

Archived