Bengals bring back Maualuga

um, yea..

their biggest skillset if having incredible talent around them most of the time, marvin lewis accomplished DICK for like 7 years here on the defensive side of the ball, poor player management  bad picks, etc... he can coach really good players to play really well(his success came from having HOF players, not creating them, zimmer does the same, but, players WANT to play for him, and flock to play for him, but certainly no one can vouch for lewis' defensive genius after watching this team be in the bottom 5 in points given up nearly every year his first 5-6-7 years here..not that its his job anymore, which i have defended over the years, but the defensive genius label fell off his shirt a long fucking time ago...

and if you didnt see rey get ABUSED over and over and over in coverage for YEARS here... then perhaps you should spend less concentration on bowls of dicks and watch some fucking football..

Post of the year.

I seriously don't understand why anyone is happy about this.  Forget about pass coverage, this guy isn't very good against the run.  He spends half of the game on his ass watching the running back go around him.   I disagree that he is a good run stuffer.  Teams ran between the Center and Guard all season against us.

Blehhh, I want him gone. Dhani Jones in his last season was head and shoulders better than Rey even with Jones' eroding skills.

I seriously don't understand why anyone is happy about this.  Forget about pass coverage, this guy isn't very good against the run.  He spends half of the game on his ass watching the running back go around him.   I disagree that he is a good run stuffer.  Teams ran between the Center and Guard all season against us.

Blehhh, I want him gone. Dhani Jones in his last season was head and shoulders better than Rey even with Jones' eroding skills.

Obviously you're stupid because Zimmer said he likes Rey.   It was actually Rey's assignment to play from his ass....he carried out his role perfectly.  Where were Geno, MJ, Dunlap?  Sure it wasn't their fault Rey missed a tackle? 

I think we must sign Howard, and then go after Dansby for MLB.

Dansby is the BEST LB on the market, and still has at least 2 - 4 years left. He has played, and played at a high level, in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses.

I would prefer to see an experienced MLB, because even though I love Burfict and would like to see him as the starting Mike, imagine the havoc we could cause with Burfict just running fucking amuck, a healthy Howard lighting fuckers up, and Dansby calling the shots?

Rey can carry Gatorade to them during time outs and wipe their jocks either during or post game.

I'm one of the ones that would bad mouth rey pretty often but the fact of the matter is we needed depth. Moving rey out of the middle should help his play and hopefully take some of the pressure he puts on himself off. In short I'm glad to get him back.
Why is it taking this long to resign pacman? Making me nervous..

I think we must sign Howard, and then go after Dansby for MLB.

Dansby is the BEST LB on the market, and still has at least 2 - 4 years left. He has played, and played at a high level, in both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses.

I would prefer to see an experienced MLB, because even though I love Burfict and would like to see him as the starting Mike, imagine the havoc we could cause with Burfict just running fucking amuck, a healthy Howard lighting fuckers up, and Dansby calling the shots?

Rey can carry Gatorade to them during time outs and wipe their jocks either during or post game.

I think its safe to assume they aren't going to pay him $3.25M to be a backup.

Good God, you guys need Marvin to talk you off the ledge. Rey got a two year deal, I'm not sure you guys will make it that long without eating the business end of a revolver.

which means they find a longterm WLB this year, give Rey a year to prove himself at SLb and if need be find his longterm replacement next year. 

Not that numbers and stats are everything, but in his 2 years as our starting SLB, profootballfocus.com had him graded as way above average against the run.

I wonder if people's memories are just clouded because the facts seem to be quite different than the perception.

Good God, you guys need Marvin to talk you off the ledge. Rey got a two year deal, I'm not sure you guys will make it that long without eating the business end of a revolver.

I have no problem with keeping Rey as a backup.  I have a problem with those who are suggesting he is the answer at the SLB position.  I could care less about what he did 3 years ago, I watched this year's games and the guy is NOT a good player.   Dude goes invisible for long stretches, misses tackles and made Arian Foster look like Barry Sanders in the last game.   Guy bites on every fake thrown at him and can't shed nor avoid olineman who block him.  I have never seen a player run into the backs of his own d lineman more than Rey.

Not that numbers and stats are everything, but in his 2 years as our starting SLB, profootballfocus.com had him graded as way above average against the run.

I wonder if people's memories are just clouded because the facts seem to be quite different than the perception.

Also, keep in mind that when Rey got hurt vs KC I think it was his rookie year, everyone was clamoring for him to get back ASAP.  He played SAM at that time.  I think physically Rey's fine...he has developed a bad habit of over thinking over the past few years that he needs to remedy. 

And if they don't? Everyone seemed pretty certain Rey was gone this year.

if they don't that probably means they are happy with him.  This move seems like killing two birds with one stone (SLB, backup MLB) than anything, or else they would have given him a 1yr deal or a longterm deal.

Instead he gets a 2yr "prove it deal" with the team knowing they are comfortable at SLB and MLB while addressing WLB in the draft.

I think this is the case because I don't remember the haters being so vocal when he was on the outside.

I think its safe to assume they aren't going to pay him $3.25M to be a backup.

I agree, but my take is that you bring in a proven MLB (Dansby) and then you cut Rey if he isn't good enough (which most agree that he isn't) or make him take a salary cut to be a back-up.

If you can make the team better, you do it...

I agree, but my take is that you bring in a proven MLB (Dansby) and then you cut Rey if he isn't good enough (which most agree that he isn't) or make him take a salary cut to be a back-up.

Absolutely.....and this team NEEDS to be made better. 

if they don't that probably means they are happy with him.  This move seems like killing two birds with one stone (SLB, backup MLB) than anything, or else they would have given him a 1yr deal or a longterm deal.

Instead he gets a 2yr "prove it deal" with the team knowing they are comfortable at SLB and MLB while addressing WLB in the draft.

That sounds logical and economical so that's probably what they plan on doing. The only thing that has me scratching my head right now is the plan at safety. They either have one that they are keeping a tight lid on, or they have no strategy to address the position and are going to hope for the best.

they eat $2.5M if they cut Rey. It ain't happening. 

That sounds logical and economical so that's probably what they plan on doing. The only thing that has me scratching my head right now is the plan at safety. They either have one that they are keeping a tight lid on, or they have no strategy to address the position and are going to hope for the best.

I'm thinking Iloka and draft pick, while also giving strong consideration to using a corner as a quasi CB/SS hybrid.  Zimmer has been hinting for year at going to a 3 CB/1 S base in the secondary. May just be waiting for the right personnel.

This is okay for adding depth and insurance. It doesn't mean he's on the opening day roster.

A few things still need to happen:

• Tez to the middle
  • Draft a LB within the first 4 picks (BPA will guide this)
  • Re-sign Howard cheap
  • Rey never starts

Most who? Go-Bengals posters? Bengals coaches? Which ones get to decide the roster?

I'm not hating the signing, since I know he's not playing the middle no more. Thank god. Your right I may not know his assignment on every down but if its staying block, getting his ankles broken, n missed tackles he's doing a fine job.

U sound like a hater to me, but riddle me this how can a guy get 122 tackles on a top 10 defense but never shed a block and always get his ankles broken?

He's no Ray Lewis but he does have some value, he's getting barely above the vet minimum...they didn't break the bank for the guy like MIA did for Ellerbee and Rey has more experience and better stats than Ellerbee.

Marvin and Zimmer put him out there to be exploited.....mistake right?  That means the coaches made a mistake.....this means they're not infallible.  Also, maybe Marvin and Zimmer don't have DVR like I do.  That genie is hot as shit. 

Not necessarily, maybe Marvin and Zimmer called a blitz and the blitz didn't get there in time which lead to Rey getting "exploited". They obviously felt like he was the best option on the roster at the time so he was playing.

But yes, the genie is hot...reminds me of sexier version of the Olsen twins...like an Olsen twin who eats food.

Archived