Bengals bring back Maualuga

I like re-signing him to play SAM. Hated the thought of seeing him line up at MIKE ever again. 

This sums up my thoughts in very few words. Seems pretty simple really. Two very different positions with very different job descriptions and responsibilities.

He was very good playing SLB in this exact same system in 2009-10. It is not at all crazy to think he will be good again when shifted back into that role. What has changed?

Those arguing otherwise are either overthinking something that is pretty simple or just getting a bit irrational with their hatred of Rey based on the fact that he was shitty in the playoff game last season.

I actually understand the last part and feel a little bit of that myself as there is a part of me that just says "fuck this guy, don't want him on the team period," but rationally, he is a good fit for what we do at SLB and has already proven it on the field in over 30 games of action, so there isn't any guess work involved in projecting him to perform well in that role.

U sound like a hater to me, but riddle me this how can a guy get 122 tackles on a top 10 defense but never shed a block and always get his ankles broken?

He's no Ray Lewis but he does have some value, he's getting barely above the vet minimum...they didn't break the bank for the guy like MIA did for Ellerbee and Rey has more experience and better stats than Ellerbee.

Not necessarily, maybe Marvin and Zimmer called a blitz and the blitz didn't get there in time which lead to Rey getting "exploited". They obviously felt like he was the best option on the roster at the time so he was playing.

But yes, the genie is hot...reminds me of sexier version of the Olsen twins...like an Olsen twin who eats food.

Calling a blitz knowing if it doesn't get there you're assured of getting torched is one of the most foolish things a DC could do.  And to do it over and over and over again is insanity.  That's what would have had to have happened in your scenario because he was torched ALL GAME. 

Genie being hot we agree on.....I love her.  I've asked a photo of her to marry me.  I'm still waiting on an answer. 

This sums up my thoughts in very few words. Seems pretty simple really. Two very different positions with very different job descriptions and responsibilities.

He was very good playing SLB in this exact same system in 2009-10. It is not at all crazy to think he will be good again when shifted back into that role. What has changed?

Those arguing otherwise are either overthinking something that is pretty simple or just getting a bit irrational with their hatred of Rey based on the fact that he was shitty in the playoff game last season.

I actually understand the last part and feel a little bit of that myself as there is a part of me that just says "fuck this guy, don't want him on the team period," but rationally, he is a good fit for what we do at SLB and has already proven it on the field in over 30 games of action, so there isn't any guess work involved in projecting him to perform well in that role.

I understand the rationale of resigning him.  Still, guy goes AWOL for games and doesn't sound or act like the type of guy I want on the team.   Guy is a Debbie Downer.  I just don't want him here.  Sorry.

I understand the rationale of resigning him.  Still, guy goes AWOL for games and doesn't sound or act like the type of guy I want on the team.   Guy is a Debbie Downer.  I just don't want him here.  Sorry.

He's actually a GREAT team mate and a really good dude in real life but on the field, he's lacking.  That's what matters unfortunately.   He's ok for depth, but paying him that much for playing 50% at most of snaps is a little foolish IMO. 

He's actually a GREAT team mate and a really good dude in real life but on the field, he's lacking.  That's what matters unfortunately.   He's ok for depth, but paying him that much for playing 50% at most of snaps is a little foolish IMO. 

I am sure he is a good dude and great team mate.  I would just like to see some LIFE in him.  Regardless of what some say, I want to see some swagger from the players.  I loved 2005 when Chad JOHNSON and TJ were talking smack and pissing other fans off.   

yea I think he's getting about a million per season too much, though he's actually only making a little more than Lawson did.  

I just don't get all the angst from folks.  They finished top 10 both years he started in the middle, maybe even in spite of him, and now he's playing an even smaller role.  People act like the defense actually got WORSE with this move.

It's great for depth at 2 of the 3 spots. LB is now much less of an "oh shit" category in the draft.  Only thing worth complaining about is the contract size.

I am sure he is a good dude and great team mate.  I would just like to see some LIFE in him.  Regardless of what some say, I want to see some swagger from the players.  I loved 2005 when Chad JOHNSON and TJ were talking smack and pissing other fans off.   

Swagger ain't worth shit if you can't back it up.

Swagger from Rey would be nice, because all we've got from him has been stagger.

yea I think he's getting about a million per season too much, though he's actually only making a little more than Lawson did.  

I just don't get all the angst from folks.  They finished top 10 both years he started in the middle, maybe even in spite of him, and now he's playing an even smaller role.  People act like the defense actually got WORSE with this move.

It's great for depth at 2 of the 3 spots.  Only thing worth complaining about is the contract size.

There's always some lighning rod on defense - Clemons, Justin Smith, Crocker last year that the board goes off on.

It's great for depth at 2 of the 3 spots.  Only thing worth complaining about is the contract size.

Pretty much spot on, he's getting "tweener" money, not starting cash or back-up really.

That's why I say bring in Dansby, he's bonafide!

It's great for depth at 2 of the 3 spots. LB is now much less of an "oh shit" category in the draft.  Only thing worth complaining about is the contract size.

That is yet to be seen.  We are moving Burfect, a second year player to MLB (we think) and Rey to SLB (we think).  We are all assuming Vontaze will be the bomb at MLB (we shall see) or at least better than Rey (reasonable assumption).  Still need to fill Burfect's spot and we don't exactly have much experience on the current roster to do it with.  We are now in wait mode to see who fills that position.

That is yet to be seen.  We are moving Burfect, a second year player to MLB (we think) and Rey to SLB (we think).  We are all assuming Vontaze will be the bomb at MLB (we shall see) or at least better than Rey (reasonable assumption).  Still need to fill Burfect's spot and we don't exactly have much experience on the current roster to do it with.  We are now in wait mode to see who fills that position.

sure there's a chance Rey stays in the middle, but its not likely.  Odds are Burfict is the guy unless there's a MLB they fall in love with in the draft.

Burfict offers them the flexibility of going WLB or MLB in the draft.  Maualuga technically offers them the availability of going SLB in the draft, but I think its a very small chance they go that route.

I understand this and a part of me feels the same way. Almost like in big games he over thought things instead of just going out there and playing. Like he was a little nervous and/or hesitant.

I'm hoping the change of position helps in this regard as well. I think at SLB, there is way less thinking involved. And he doesn't have to get everyone else lined up and call the defense. Just focus on his assignment.

His role is going to be to go out there and stonewall the fullback, TE or pulling guard on running plays so the MLB or WLB can get in there and make the tackle. Meet the RB in the hole sometimes. Set the edge on some plays. Occasionally blitz off the edge. Stuff like that. He isn't going to have to play in the open field much trying to make tackles down the field or dropping deep back in zone coverage.

Really?

so a guy says he likes the signing, somebody else says he must only like it because of the hair and tatts, in other words calling the guy a superficial dumbass, another guy chimes in that's how he picks his women, a joke but pointless. There's no point to all this bull shit just because somebody likes a signing you don't. If everybody that likes the signing is a superficial dumbass you can add Zimmer to the list. I was more replying to the overall tone of half of this board today that anybody that likes the signing doesn't know shit about football.

on one hand i feel like we can trust zim and the coaches and i think he could do well (or at least suitable) in a SLB rotation. on the other hand i feel like our LB corps just got a lot worse, at least it was for a cheap deal but i hope this won't hinder us from drafting his replacement

on one hand i feel like we can trust zim and the coaches and i think he could do well (or at least suitable) in a SLB rotation. on the other hand i feel like our LB corps just got a lot worse, at least it was for a cheap deal but i hope this won't hinder us from drafting his replacement

The LB corps not only got worse, we overpaid a guy nobody else wanted. We're paying at least double the going rate for a starting LB with no other offers. That's money that won't be available for extending Geno, Dunlap, Dalton, AJ, etc.

RE: the playoff game, I don't think people are down on Rey based on that alone.  Gresh stunk up the field at least as bad as Rey and I don't see anyone calling for his head now.  The difference is that Gresh doesn't consistently fuck up, and he seems to be improving.  He also doesn't say weird passive-aggressive, insecure shit to the press, which is what really caused me to turn the page on Maualuga. He's had a few games where he was a force, but doesn't seem able to put 2 of them together and obviously lets a bad play ruin an entire series. It's out of my hands though, so I'll just hope the demotion is what finally makes the light come on for him. 

RE: the $ amount, like I said before I seriously doubt that's all guaranteed money.  AFAIK contract numbers are always reported as the maximum possible payout, Superbowl MVP and every other incentive clause included. 

The LB corps not only got worse, we overpaid a guy nobody else wanted. We're paying at least double the going rate for a starting LB with no other offers. That's money that won't be available for extending Geno, Dunlap, Dalton, AJ, etc.

Yep, Rey's 3 million a year is going to make us lose one of those guys, stupid front office has no idea how to manage the cap. And since clearly every single offer or inquiry made to every single agent about every single player is made public we know that if we hadn't signed Rey he'd be out of the NFL next season. It's so obvious.

are you dumping Burfict then?  Hate to break it to you, but for as average as Maualuga is in coverage, he was better than Burfict last year.

The Bengals defense gave up 15 receiving touchdowns last year.  I can think of at least 4 that were given up by Burfict.

Wasn't Burfict a rookie, while Maualuga was a fourth year starter in the same defense?

You don't think a rookie is going to improve?

I just find it funny that if a player struggles as a rookie that it means they suck at something.

RE: the playoff game, I don't think people are down on Rey based on that alone.  Gresh stunk up the field at least as bad as Rey and I don't see anyone calling for his head now.  The difference is that Gresh doesn't consistently fuck up, and he seems to be improving.  He also doesn't say weird passive-aggressive, insecure shit to the press, which is what really caused me to turn the page on Maualuga. He's had a few games where he was a force, but doesn't seem able to put 2 of them together and obviously lets a bad play ruin an entire series. It's out of my hands though, so I'll just hope the demotion is what finally makes the light come on for him. 

RE: the $ amount, like I said before I seriously doubt that's all guaranteed money.  AFAIK contract numbers are always reported as the maximum possible payout, Superbowl MVP and every other incentive clause included. 

You haven't seen the thread where we sign Dallas Clark to replace Gresham, I take it.

Archived