Bengals bring back Maualuga

Hahahahaha......this is some funny shit right here.

I do agree about the "demotion".  I think they overpaid for a guy who will only play 30-40% of snaps though.  WAY overpaid. 

The true humor is the rationalization. But, but, but............

It's hilarious

um, yea..

their biggest skillset if having incredible talent around them most of the time, marvin lewis accomplished DICK for like 7 years here on the defensive side of the ball, poor player management  bad picks, etc... he can coach really good players to play really well(his success came from having HOF players, not creating them, zimmer does the same, but, players WANT to play for him, and flock to play for him, but certainly no one can vouch for lewis' defensive genius after watching this team be in the bottom 5 in points given up nearly every year his first 5-6-7 years here..not that its his job anymore, which i have defended over the years, but the defensive genius label fell off his shirt a long fucking time ago...

and if you didnt see rey get ABUSED over and over and over in coverage for YEARS here... then perhaps you should spend less concentration on bowls of dicks and watch some fucking football..

The bowl of dicks was a Louie C.K. joke, but anyway....like I said Lewis and Zimmer are highly regarded by people who get paid millions of dollars to coach and analyze the NFL..so you must forgive me if I don't agree with your assessment of their skill set. I would say Marvin had is hands tied by management during his first few years here and as time as passed he has gained more control over personnel matters, not a coincedence that the defense has improved. 

When Lewis was a LB coach for the Steelers and D-Coord for the Ravens he consistantly sent his players to the ProBowl and both teams were known for their defenses with the LB's being the leaders of the defense. To say he didn't create HOF players is inaccurate, as the HOF players will tell you Lewis is the reason why they are HOF'ers. Guys like Ray Lewis and Kevin Greene swear by Marvin Lewis, once again I will take their word over yours.  

We all saw Rey getting abused in pass coverage, which is why he is being moved to SAM and will be on the sideline in obvious passing situations.

I love your post on the subject of Rey. It reminds me of a man losing grasp of a rope hanging over a river of crocs, mate.

Allow me to spell it out because it has been oblivious for a month. Rey is your starter a SLB entering the season. Not because of Mike Brown but because the coaches weren't making shit up when they said it.

Deal with it and move on.

The coaches could very well be wrong......they've made mistakes before.  But isn't it telling that he's going to be a strong side backer instead of in the middle?  If he was so good, like you make him out to be, they would have kept him in the middle right?  Yet, his role will be reduced by more than half and his position is changed. 

See, I like to do this thing called watching games and when I did that really cool thing, I saw Maualuga as a weak link....a liability for my favorite football team.  I just want them to improve so having liabilities is not in my interest.  Some people are happy with mediocrity....and hey, that's fine.  Don't try to make me change my mentality though. 

I love your post on the subject of Rey. It reminds me of a man losing grasp of a rope hanging over a river of crocs, mate.

Allow me to spell it out because it has been oblivious for a month. Rey is your starter a SLB entering the season. Not because of Mike Brown but because the coaches weren't making shit up when they said it.

Deal with it and move on.

They don't hear you, though! :41:

For some perspective, here are Rey Maualuga's grades from when he played SLB for us (0 is average, negative numbers are below average, positive numbers are above average):

31 Games at SLB: +14.1 vs Run & -1.9 vs Pass.

Basically, he was a beast against the run and only a little bit below average vs. the pass. Overall, he was well above average.

I think everyone freaking out and acting like he doesn't even belong in the NFL have to re-evaluate a bit. He was a below average MLB. He had to cover too much ground and spent way too much time in pass coverage. But he has already shown that he is a good SLB...

The true humor is the rationalization. But, but, but............

It's hilarious

If you read my posts from after the Houston game, I said I'd like to have Rey back as depth.  Just not as a starting LB....which SLB is barely so I'm not fully OK with it, but I see why it was done. 

That's a lot more than I thought he'd be offered.  With that kind of money, I would have brought in an outside FA like Anderson, Dansby.  Player mis management isn't a new phenomena though. 

So you talked to Anderson's and Dansby's agents and know what kind of money he's looking for? You evaluated both guys on film and talked to Zimmer and think it will be a good fit for the type of defense Zimmer likes to use..... oh your just talking out of your ass...ok, that's stupid.

This is stupid.   By that same rationale, you don't know what Rey's assignments are/were so how can you defend him?   Did you watch the Houston game?  You don't have to be the architect behind the game plan to know that his job wasn't to let his guy catch the ball each and every time thrown to him.  I can assure you his job wasn't to push Foster instead of tackling him, allowing Foster another 5 yds or so.  His job, I would imagine (I mean, I'm not defensive genius like Marvin and Zimmer) was not to take bad angles to the ball carrier and get eaten up by linemen....yet he did....yet you say anyone who criticizes "can eat of bowl dicks".    Not sure what bowl dicks are though.  Did you hear about this on Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern?  He likes eating different types of cock n balls. 

I never claimed to know what Rey's assignments are, I said that that people who do know, who are also highly regarded amongst people who get paid millions of dollars to coach and analyze the NFL think Rey was worth bringing back and don't think he's scrub like alot of "fans" do. I said I will trust their knowledge in this situation and if they are on board with bring Rey back then so am I.

As for the Houston game it's stupid to blame one guy when Foster ran all over the entire defense, Geno Atkins and Vontaze Burfict included. Foster runs all over the entire NFL, he's probably the 2nd best back in the game behind AP and he's the best back in the AFC, so are you going kill a guy because he couldn't contain Foster. Foster ran for 100 yrds and 2tds vs. the Raven last year, but MIA just gave Ellerbee 35MM...we got Rey for 6.5MM.

As for the bowl of dicks, I borrowed the line for a comedian named Loiue CK, he's pretty funny....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCzbURUrgQao&ei=pT1HUYqtHPPB4AOgnYC4Cg&usg=AFQjCNFVE9uwqpmfVhUGosT2kiRfilImWw&bvm=bv.43828540,d.dmg

For some perspective, here are Rey Maualuga's grades from when he played SLB for us (0 is average, negative numbers are below average, positive numbers are above average):

31 Games at SLB: +14.1 vs Run & -1.9 vs Pass.

Basically, he was a beast against the run and only a little bit below average vs. the pass. Overall, he was well above average.

I think everyone freaking out and acting like he doesn't even belong in the NFL have to re-evaluate a bit. He was a below average MLB. He had to cover too much ground and spent way too much time in pass coverage. But he has already shown that he is a good SLB...

Good numbers.  He may have to get his weight up a little bit to take the pounding of the right side of the line, but he can absorb blockers and let others guys make plays.  Let's just hope he doesn't get lined up with Pitta or Rice on 1st and 10.

This is great just because we filled a spot? How about filling it with somebody that doesn't suck. I know what you guys are doing. They signed him and there's nothing you can do about it, so you're talking yourself into liking it.

Good numbers.  He may have to get his weight up a little bit to take the pounding of the right side of the line, but he can absorb blockers and let others guys make plays.  Let's just hope he doesn't get lined up with Pitta or Rice on 1st and 10.

Yeah Glazier said he's losing six pounds per session. Hopefully he's eating enough to gain all that back because he needs to stay above at least 245, preferably 255.I think we have seen the last of Rey in coverage. Along with that positive run stopping stat somebody posted, I remember some site listing him seventh in impact tackles at or behind the LOS. I expect he'll be in on running downs only.

The coaches could very well be wrong......they've made mistakes before.  But isn't it telling that he's going to be a strong side backer instead of in the middle?  If he was so good, like you make him out to be, they would have kept him in the middle right?  Yet, his role will be reduced by more than half and his position is changed. 

See, I like to do this thing called watching games and when I did that really cool thing, I saw Maualuga as a weak link....a liability for my favorite football team.  I just want them to improve so having liabilities is not in my interest.  Some people are happy with mediocrity....and hey, that's fine.  Don't try to make me change my mentality though. 

Noone is saying the guy is going to the HOF and just because you watch football games doesn't mean you know what to look for and you know who is supposed to be doing what on every single play, like a head coach or coordinator would. So if a head coach or coordinator thinks that Rey is worth having on the team in specific role then I will default to there judgement in that situation, but obviously you know more than Marvin and Zim because you watch football on your couch and rewind the each play on your DVR while screaming at Rey for not making every tackle and intercepting every pass.

No one is happy with mediocrity, mediocrity would be putting Rey back at MLB and praying for something different...that's not happening, they are putting Rey in a role in which he had success...not that hard to see unless you just don't want to.

At least my #58 jersey won't be obsolete for another two years!  Has value as a depth player so I'm glad we brought him back.

As much as people want to knock his coverage, I think they are over-stating the coverage ability of MLBs in the league.  Think of Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, Vernon Davis, and to a lesser extent the Dennis Pittas and Owen Daniels.  TE's are taking over the league in the last 3-4 years and dominating the middle of the field.  

I would love for someone here to show me tape of an MLB absolutely owning coverage in the middle of the field from 2012.  I saw Ray Lewis look awful in coverage while leading the Ravens to the Superbowl.  I saw Patrick Willis give up crucial 3rd down conversions and a TD in the superbowl (as well as Navarro Bowman get beat and take a penalty that wasn't called on the final play of the NFCC game).

While most here were crucifying Rey for trying to cover TE's while they convert crucial 3rd downs in the playoff games I was wondering why our vaunted DL can come up with 3 sacks sack on first down in the first half but can't seem to get to the QB when we really need it on 3rd down in the second half.

IMO he deserves flack for being a poor pass defender but its the disappearance of our DL in crucial spots that allowed opposing teams to exploit that...not the failure of our coaches to put a better coverage guy in there.

um, yea..

their biggest skillset if having incredible talent around them most of the time, marvin lewis accomplished DICK for like 7 years here on the defensive side of the ball, poor player management  bad picks, etc... he can coach really good players to play really well(his success came from having HOF players, not creating them, zimmer does the same, but, players WANT to play for him, and flock to play for him, but certainly no one can vouch for lewis' defensive genius after watching this team be in the bottom 5 in points given up nearly every year his first 5-6-7 years here..not that its his job anymore, which i have defended over the years, but the defensive genius label fell off his shirt a long fucking time ago...

and if you didnt see rey get ABUSED over and over and over in coverage for YEARS here... then perhaps you should spend less concentration on bowls of dicks and watch some fucking football..

Scary I'm starting to agree with you more and more

Noone is saying the guy is going to the HOF and just because you watch football games doesn't mean you know what to look for and you know who is supposed to be doing what on every single play, like a head coach or coordinator would. So if a head coach or coordinator thinks that Rey is worth having on the team in specific role then I will default to there judgement in that situation, but obviously you know more than Marvin and Zim because you watch football on your couch and rewind the each play on your DVR while screaming at Rey for not making every tackle and intercepting every pass.

No one is happy with mediocrity, mediocrity would be putting Rey back at MLB and praying for something different...that's not happening, they are putting Rey in a role in which he had success...not that hard to see unless you just don't want to.

Marvin and Zimmer put him out there to be exploited.....mistake right?  That means the coaches made a mistake.....this means they're not infallible.  Also, maybe Marvin and Zimmer don't have DVR like I do.  That genie is hot as shit. 

I'm not hating the signing, since I know he's not playing the middle no more. Thank god. Your right I may not know his assignment on every down but if its staying block, getting his ankles broken, n missed tackles he's doing a fine job.

The only thing that worries me about Rey at SLB is that teams will run a lot of HB screens and wheels on first down to Rey's side. Those could be easy yards.

Rey's issues in pass pro are covering 10-20yds downfield, not swing passes and such (at least not when he's not bulked up like he was to begin the season). He generally does a good job of covering guys in the flat.

Rey's issues in pass pro are covering 10-20yds downfield, not swing passes and such (at least not when he's not bulked up like he was to begin the season). He generally does a good job of covering guys in the flat.

I haven't noticed that, I hope you're right.

I haven't noticed that, I hope you're right.

he's fine as long as the play is in front of him.  Issue was chasing guys downfield.  Houston also got him on a couple crossing routes matched up on a speedy WR he had to follow across the field.

I'll hold to what I said a few months ago.  Maualuga was the best coverage LB on the team (minus Howard), and that's much more an indictment of the crappy LB corp as it is an endorsement of his coverage skills.

Archived