Bengals bring back Maualuga

What past experience?  The defense has been really good and consistent. 

It becomes rooting for failure when you start to overstate the effect of 1 player to overlook the performance of 11.     If we are truly using past experience.   Then everyone is on board with Rey starting at LB and hoping for upgrades at the other LB spots and in Safety.

It's no different if we let Rey walk and as a  result resigned Crocker.   This issue is and always has been were do you want the "B" player and can you upgrade the total of your back 7 (for this unit).

Yes, the defense as a whole has.

Rey has not.

Marvin sucks at LB evaluations....Here are the LBs that have been selected in his reign....

5- Khalid Abdullah

3- Landon Johnson

3- Caleb Miller

2- Odell Thurman

1- David Pollack

3*- Ahmad Brooks

5- A.J. Nicholson

1- Keith Rivers

2- Rey Maualuga

4- Roddrick Muckelroy

3- Dontay Moch

That is 2- 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, 4 3rd rounders, 1 4th rounder, and 2 5th rounders

Arguably the best LB out of those picks we cut.

I think this was a mistake.

Ahmad Brooks was cut because he was beating on girlfriend,iirc...so yeah, but he's been beasting for the 49'ers. Anyone who was drafted in the 4th round or later was mainly drafted for special teams, so sure you can sat they weren't ProBowlers but they weren't drafted to be.

The only one you might have on point on is Keith Rivers and he hasn't been the same since Ward cheap shotted him and broke his jaw...despite MMA training with Jay "Da Iceman" Glazer...

Just because you don't understand say, Spanish, doesn't make it jibberish.  The same thing applies to logic (or any other higher-functioning thinking, in your case). But it's precisely the type of response I was referring to: "If it it's not what I think/believe, it's nonsense!"

You're an ape.

A perfect example of this would be a poster ignoring the expert opinion of those in the best position to judge in favor of their own opinion.   Then when holes are punched in their logic the spin machine grasps for further misguided comparisons and jibberish.

As you said.  You don't know shit about a piano so you are going to rely on the piano player.   I'm telling you, you don't know shit about football it's best you rely not on my evaluation but rather the coaches.

You are so spun out of control you can't even get your insults right, you tard.     Just to spell it out for you.  I didn't decide to resign Rey.  The FOOTBALL organization did.  Thus you are the ape.

Ahmad Brooks was cut because he was beating on girlfriend,iirc...so yeah, but he's been beasting for the 49'ers. Anyone who was drafted in the 4th round or later was mainly drafted for special teams, so sure you can they weren't ProBowlers they weren't drafted to be.

The only one you might have on point on is Keith Rivers and he hasn't been the same since Ward cheap shotted him and broke his jaw...despite MMA training with Jay "Da Iceman" Glazer...

Nicholson was the girlfriend beater. Brooks was cut because of not being the best locker room guy IIRC

That someone is very glad that they did.   

:lol:

Yeah ok big guy.

Nicholson was the girlfriend beater. Brooks was cut because of not being the best locker room guy IIRC

:lol:

Yeah ok big guy.

Both Nicholson and Brooks got physical with the ladies...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10808213/cbsnews

Brooks was actually quite the POS, got kick out of UVA, then knock a lady out after missing his rookie season...maybe getting cut was his wake up call that he can't do whatever the hell he wanted and still be successful in life.

Also I don't think you can put all of these draft picks on Marvin as he just recently got more control over personell, which is one of the reason why he didn't re-up a few years ago.

Ahmad Brooks was cut because he was beating on girlfriend,iirc...so yeah, but he's been beasting for the 49'ers. Anyone who was drafted in the 4th round or later was mainly drafted for special teams, so sure you can they weren't ProBowlers they weren't drafted to be.

2008 was proven to be a weak draft class at the top.   They could have taken Mayo although that was dumb luck as the Patriots were supposed to like Rivers more.

In the end there are a ton of flops at the top of that class.  Sedrick Ellis, Dorsey, Harvey.....

Thus proving your bias.   It's more about what you think Rey's failures are vs. the performance of the unit.   Thank you.

Exactly, how the captian of the defense be awful, but the defense as a whole be good....how does that make sense???

How could the coaches even have a good defense if they are so stupid as to think Rey is any good?

While this may be true, you certainly don't desire them and you make it a goal to get a player who is better then that role player.

I say this is false.    The Bengals clearly desired Rey and that level of player certainly has a role in the NFL.

It's mainly false as the league is governed by a salary cap and the designation of "role" player is done as a comparison among peers.  It's a dynamic that can not be avoided.

If there are 1,700 players in the NFL there is going to be views on the top 10 and bottom 10 no matter what the overall quality of that pool happens to be. 

It is also false as the goal of the league is unit based vs. individual based. 

Thus proving your bias.   It's more about what you think Rey's failures are vs. the performance of the unit.   Thank you.

And I think the defense could be better if Rey was upgraded.  And with the depth of LB in this draft that would not be terribly difficult. Why is that bad?

A perfect example of this would be a poster ignoring the expert opinion of those in the best position to judge in favor of their own opinion.   Then when holes are punched in their logic the spin machine grasps for further misguided comparisons and jibberish.

As you said.  You don't know shit about a piano so you are going to rely on the piano player.   I'm telling you, you don't know shit about football it's best you rely not on my evaluation but rather the coaches.

You are so spun out of control you can't even get your insults right, you tard.     Just to spell it out for you.  I didn't decide to resign Rey.  The FOOTBALL organization did.  Thus you are the ape.

If I'm an ape, an ape that can read.  

I've said for months now that Rey would be acceptable as a backup. I just don't want him starting. Is he a role player? Sure. Is he subpar? Definitely. Can we do better? Without a doubt.  

And you keep telling me how infallible our coaches are and we keep giving you examples of mistakes they've made in the same regard (WR, S last year).  The truth is, there are other factors in play.  In this case, unfortunately, there were no great LBs in FA worth bringing in, and I VERY much ascribe to Marvin's philosophy of continuity with a guy you know is better than taking a chance on a guy you don't - especially when you are comparing mediocrity in both cases.  

This gets even more complicated when you look at the draft, and it's actually a very week LB class, compared to most years.  Ogeltree could be a star at 21, but he could be another Odell Thurman.  And Teo I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, because I don't want that distraction on this team.  Maybe we can get a Brown or a Greene in the second, but like safety last year, maybe we can't.

And so I can see why the choice was made.  But that doesn't mean that I have to like it, and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't think we should do everything we can to explore other alternatives.  

Finally, I hope Rey loses 15 MORE pounds and comes back a man possessed.  I just don't see that happening.  What I really don't see is how he improves his instincts, because, well, instincts are just that.

As for my control, I'll leave it to the less educated to fail to understand what analogies are.  Like how about this one?

You ever wonder why the poor ignorant whites in America are the very people to support the Republicans who continually cut the education that might liberate them?  

There's a connection in there somewhere to the conversation we are having. 

(And yes, I'm on a thread derailing rampage, so why quit now?)

And I think the defense could be better if Rey was upgraded.  And with the depth of LB in this draft that would not be terribly difficult. Why is that bad?

Do you not think Zimmer wants the same thing?    Obviously there is a disconnect. 

I've said for months now that Rey would be acceptable as a backup. I just don't want him starting. Is he a role player? Sure. Is he subpar? Definitely. Can we do better? Without a doubt.  

And you keep telling me how infallible our coaches are and we keep giving you examples of mistakes they've made in the same regard (WR, S last year).  The truth is, there are other factors in play.  In this case, unfortunately, there were no great LBs in FA worth bringing in, and I VERY much ascribe to Marvin's philosophy of continuity with a guy you know is better than taking a chance on a guy you don't - especially when you are comparing mediocrity in both cases.  

This gets even more complicated when you look at the draft, and it's actually a very week LB class, compared to most years.  Ogeltree could be a star at 21, but he could be another Odell Thurman.  And Teo I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, because I don't want that distraction on this team.  Maybe we can get a Brown or a Greene in the second, but like safety last year, maybe we can't.

And so I can see why the choice was made.  But that doesn't mean that I have to like it, and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't think we should do everything we can to explore other alternatives.  

Finally, I hope Rey loses 15 MORE pounds and comes back a man possessed.  I just don't see that happening.  What I really don't see is how he improves his instincts, because, well, instincts are just that.

As for my control, I'll leave it to the less educated to fail to understand what analogies are.  Like how about this one?

You ever wonder why the poor ignorant whites in America are the very people to support the Republicans who continually cut the education that might liberate them?  

Yep. Pretty much this. Its also why I beleive it was a 2 year and not longer deal, gives us time to find a replacement.

Using your own examples you are an ape.   So if it is you that fails to understand them and if what you said above is true......

Is there no wonder that I don't care what you've think you've pointed out?  Again you don't know shit about piano pay attention to the piano player.  You don't know shit about football rely on the football coach.

Simple and it's you that gave us this wisdom.   Quit being at odds with yourself.

Exactly, how the captian of the defense be awful, but the defense as a whole be good....how does that make sense???

How could the coaches even have a good defense if they are so stupid as to think Rey is any good?

What utter nonsense.  Every team, including the best teams, have players they want to upgrade.  Dhani Jones was the Captain of the defense when the team was the 15th ranked defense in the league. After the season, after leading the team in tackles (by a wide margin) and starting every game,  he was released and nobody picked him up.  According to your logic, Jones was good because he was the Captain.  The rest of the league, including the Bengals, saw differently.

Rey was an FA and didn't receive an offer from anyone OTHER than us. 

The coaches are not stupid.  They are thin at linebacker and don't want to go into the draft with little or no experience in the starting positions.  Rey will COMPETE at SAM.  Write it down.

Marvin sucks at LB evaluations....Here are the LBs that have been selected in his reign....

5- Khalid Abdullah
3- Landon Johnson
3- Caleb Miller
2- Odell Thurman
1- David Pollack
3*- Ahmad Brooks
5- A.J. Nicholson
1- Keith Rivers
2- Rey Maualuga
4- Roddrick Muckelroy
3- Dontay Moch

That is 2- 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, 4 3rd rounders, 1 4th rounder, and 2 5th rounders. 

Arguably the best LB out of those picks we cut.

I think this was a mistake.

Great list. Marvin just like every Baltimore d coordinater benefited from Ray Lewis. And maybe isn't the great talent evaluator most believe he is. Thurman was bad ass though. The one year he played

What utter nonsense.  Every team, including the best teams, have players they want to upgrade.  Dhani Jones was the Captain of the defense when the team was the 15th ranked defense in the league. After the season, after leading the team in tackles and starting every game,  he was released and nobody picked him up.  According to your logic, Jones was good because he was the Captain.  The rest of the league, including the Bengals, saw differently.

Rey was an FA and didn't receive an offer from anyone OTHER than us. 

I'm not aware of any offer Andre Smith has received.     So now you rely on the Bengals evaluation in the case of Jones?????????

Using your own examples you are an ape.   So if it is you that fails to understand them and if what you said above is true......

Is there no wonder that I don't care what you've think you've pointed out?  Again you don't know shit about piano pay attention to the piano player.  You don't know shit about football rely on the football coach.

Simple and it's you that gave us this wisdom.   Quit being at odds with yourself.

I'm not at all at odds with myself. I'd venture to say I know a lot more than most on here than the MLB position, specifically, and that includes you.  

I don't actually take issue with our coaches at all. Yet.  

The major failure of intellectual reasoning that you seem to continually lack is this: Rey should not be our starting MLB.  Let's return to this discussion after say, the bye week, shall we?  And then we'll see where he's at?

(I say bye week because I would have no problem with the team feeling the need to bring in a new guy a little slowly, and have a vet above him - something they've done with many of their first round picks).

The argument I'm having is with you and those like you, who think Rey is good enough to start.  We can do better, and we have to if we want to take this thing to the next level.

And the fact that you need to lump the disagreeing ones into the camp of enemy suggests that you are a fascist.

I don't say you have to like everything, but it might be nice if you liked something about the team.  The 'realists' don't seem to have a lot  to say about that.  In fact, they boycotted the 'think positive' post this year IIRC.

Do you not think Zimmer wants the same thing?    Obviously there is a disconnect. 

The disconnect is that the Rey haters believe that anyone that doesn't believe Rey should not have been brought back, believe he is Dick Butkus.  They simply don't understand that for the most part, we see him as a decent player and better than the alternatives currently on this team.  I hope that we find better players than the ones currently on this team in every draft, but you don't become successful by eliminating your mid range players and keeping players that can't beat them out.  You find better players and then move players back releasing the even less productive players.  On just this page, we have a post talking about Marvin's inability to find good LB's in the draft, but then someone says that any of the guys available would be easily better than Rey.  There is a huge disconnect, and like you said, it is more driven by their desire to be right, than by good common sense.

I'm not aware of any offer Andre Smith has received.     So now you rely on the Bengals evaluation in the case of Jones?????????

That and the other 31 teams decided Jones was finished.  I can accept their analysis.

Are you surprised Andre has not received any other offers?  I am not.   He is a 4 year player who basically missed the first two years.  The other teams have a number in mind and it isn't close to what he wants.

Do you think Andre will NOT be signed by someone and be forced to retire?

Archived