Bengals bring back Maualuga

last year I'd say #1 was Lawson.  #2 probably crocker/clements.  Love their leadership, but the team really lacked a safety who could consistently cover.

#3 probably Rey.

As far as just starters go.

Agree with Lawson followed by Rey. I thought Crocker was solid last year though.

I'm not paid to coach, I will admit (duh).  And Rey at times played well.  But he was very inconsistent.  Against Houston he was flat awful.  Coaches have egos and believe they can fix players.  Often it takes them a while to figure out when they can't.

Rey was better at SLB than he was at MLB, so I'll be patient with it (not like I have a choice).  And if Rey plays better more consistently, then great.

But I'm not holding my breath.

He played better when he was drinking.

I was addressing the issue of failure and the reality of the situation.    Look at the recent questions posed in the discussion:

"What's the weakest link?"  "I want Rey to not be the element that Ocoord gameplan around."     Foolish logic.

Every unit no matter how good or bad has a weak link.   Every Defense no matter how good or bad has OCoord gameplanning against it.   Those elements always exist.  ALWAYS.

There is nothing new here at least from my standpoint.  The value is the overall unit.  The reality is that you ultimately will have "B" or "C" players.   It is an impossible situation to avoid.  

Failure is not applicable as Zimmer has a successful unit.  There's the value.    Gee, any dumbass fan can bitch about Luc Longley off one the greatest Basketball teams ever.  But what's the point?

Rey is not a player that causes a hole so great that the overall unit suffers to a level of failure.   Rey probably is enough of a hole that it may prevent them from ever being "elite".     Thus it's a situation of where you want your "B" or "C" player.   IMO, and it has not changed.   You can't have Rey at MLB while have Manning at SLB, and Crocker at SS and really think about being an "elite" defense.

The overall bias and ignorance has been shown.   Leslie Frazier was probably the weak link on the 85 Bears.  So what?    For these posters it is rooting for failure so they can justify their level of bias.   Unfortunately that is a large element in our fan base.  Oh well.

A lot of people are also comparing him to 2011 Crocker who was frickin miserable. 2012 crock>>>>2011 crock but he is still a below average saftey at this point in his career.

Crocker was just that whipping boy.   Not surprising some folks overstated the weakness he represented.

I was addressing the issue of failure and the reality of the situation.    Look at the recent questions posed in the discussion:

"What's the weakest link?"  "I want Rey to not be the element that Ocoord gameplan around."     Foolish logic.

Every unit no matter how good or bad has a weak link.   Every Defense no matter how good or bad has OCoord gameplanning against it.   Those elements always exist.  ALWAYS.

There is nothing new here at least from my standpoint.  The value is the overall unit.  The reality is that you ultimately will have "B" or "C" players.   It is an impossible situation to avoid.  

Failure is not applicable as Zimmer has a successful unit.  There's the value.    Gee, any dumbass fan can bitch about Luc Longley off one the greatest Basketball teams ever.  But what's the point?

Rey is not a player that causes a hole so great that the overall unit suffers to a level of failure.   Rey probably is enough of a hole that it may prevent them from ever being "elite".     Thus it's a situation of where you want your "B" or "C" player.   IMO, and it has not changed.   You can't have Rey at MLB while have Manning at SLB, and Crocker at SS and really think about being an "elite" defense.

The overall bias and ignorance has been shown.   Leslie Frazier was probably the weak link on the 85 Bears.  So what?    For these posters it is rooting for failure so they can justify their level of bias.   Unfortunately that is a large element in our fan base.  Oh well.

There is a difference between being the weak link and being they guy that OCoords game plan around.

"Rey is not a player that causes a hole so great that the overall unit suffers to a level of failure."

uh did you watch that playoff game?

There is a difference between being the weak link and being they guy that OCoords game plan around.

Maybe in your head.   Fools logic either way. 

There is a reason its only a 2 year contract.

Reasons maybe.   Alot of players will be asked to take lesser deals or 1 year deals.   Buyers market. 

No it didn't.   He's had one the better defenses since Rey had been a starting player on his unit. 

Completely false. 

Pete Damilatis‏@PFF_Pete
Rey Maualuga earned a -29.7 @PFF grade last season. That's the 2nd-worst we've ever given an inside linebacker.#Bengals

It did well because of our defensive line, Hall getting healthy, Burfect stepping up, Reggie Nelson playing well and Newman stepping into a time machine and playing great at 34.  Anyone who thinks the defense played well because of Rey needs their head examined.

Still, Houston torched us for 420 yards and much of it was due to Arian Foster running circles around Rey and forcing our safeties to step up and cover for him.  The TEs ate our lunch in that game deliberately picking on Rey.  The grade above speaks for itself.

"Rey is not a player that causes a hole so great that the overall unit suffers to a level of failure."

I really hope he is the linebacker that comes off the field on passing downs whether he plays MLB, SLB, s, de whatever position he plays. He should be off the field on obvious passing downs, period.

And from there in our base D I hope he is SLB because I feel the SLB covers 3rd most of the starting 3 linebackers. But the main issue is he shouldn't be on the field on 2nd and 10s, 3rd and 5s etc.

I really hope he is the linebacker that comes off the field on passing downs whether he plays MLB, SLB, s, de whatever position he plays. He should be off the field on obvious passing downs, period.

And from there in our base D I hope he is SLB because I feel the SLB covers 3rd most of the starting 3 linebackers. But the main issue is he shouldn't be on the field on 2nd and 10s, 3rd and 5s etc.

Yeah I'm hoping all this talk about him staying put is simply that, talk.

Crocker was just that whipping boy.   Not surprising some folks overstated the weakness he represented.

So did the coaching staff and the ENTIRE league.  They did let him walk and his phone never rang until Zimmer realized his grand plan to incorporate Mays and Clements as safeties FAILED miserably.  I give Zimmer credit for making the call but the issue should have been addressed LAST year by getting another safety, not by banking on Mays who, as a 2nd rounder, was cut after 1 year by a great, albeit jerk, head coach.

Yes, I did and the 42 points we gave up were just amazing!  Oh, that's right we only gave up 19pts, a point below our season average.  They sure had a doozy of a time game planning on how to beat our D, didn't they?

The big problem in today's NFL is every play seems to be an obvious passing play.   Many of the teams have adopted the New Orleans Saints NE Patriots version of the run which is the quick slant to elusive slot receivers or stud TEs.  If a linebacker can not cover a TE in today's NFL they are a liability.

Yes, I did and the 42 points we gave up were just amazing!  Oh, that's right we only gave up 19pts, a point below our season average.  They sure had a doozy of a time game planning on how to beat our D, didn't they?

And I'd argue it would have been less had Rey not been as bad as he was. Look at the yardage Foster got, look at how their TEs exploited us.

I watched the playoff game.

If I'm going to make a judgement based on that, we also need an entirely new defensive line, because they sucked ass and got no pressure. Including Geno Atkins, who was pretty much invisible.

I watched the playoff game.

If I'm going to make a judgement based on that, we also need an entirely new defensive line, because they sucked ass and got no pressure. Including Geno Atkins, who was pretty much invisible.

Thats fine but it isnt the only time Rey has disapeared or been flat out bad.

They only scored 19 points because Newman, Hall and Nelson had the games of their lives.  We gave up 420 yards in that game, much of it close to the line of scrimmage.  BTW, our offense sucked in that game as well so Rey wasn't the only issue.

The big problem in today's NFL is every play seems to be an obvious passing play.   Many of the teams have adopted the New Orleans Saints NE Patriots version of the run which is the quick slant to elusive slot receivers or stud TEs.  If a linebacker can not cover a TE in today's NFL they are a liability.

True but as an outside linebacker you usually have less room to cover compared to middle linebacker which should help Rey in coverage I'd hope.

A lot of tweets from Hobson and Reedy from Marvin at the coaches breakfast.  Seems Marvin is still saying Rey at Mike, Burfict at Will.

:42:

draft posturing.  I think the Bengals are open to going MLB or WLB in the draft, and don't want to tip their hand at what they're going to do with Burfict.

I also think there's probably some legitimate concern about moving Burfict to the middle and him not being able to handle it.  Brooks and Maualuga didn't, and Thurman was a mess.  What they DO know at this point is Burfict at WLB works.

Pete Damilatis‏@PFF_PeteRey Maualuga earned a -29.7 @PFF grade last season. That's the 2nd-worst we've ever given an inside linebacker.#Bengals

It did well because of our defensive line, Hall getting healthy, Burfect stepping up, Reggie Nelson playing well and Newman stepping into a time machine and playing great at 34.  Anyone who thinks the defense played well because of Rey needs their head examined.

Still, Houston torched us for 420 yards and much of it was due to Arian Foster running circles around Rey and forcing our safeties to step up and cover for him.  The TEs ate our lunch in that game deliberately picking on Rey.  The grade above speaks for itself.

Dude but he starts, everyone on our defense is great!

Weep

Coach Marvin Lewis said he plans to leave Rey Maualuga at middle linebacker this season.

Analysis: Following an ineffective season that saw him grade out as one of the league's worst starting middle linebackers, it was widely assumed that Maualuga would kick outside and allow WLB Vontaze Burfict to man the middle. Lewis is surprisingly squashing that notion. The news does leave Maualuga on the IDP radar as he compiled 122 tackles a year ago.

draft posturing.  I think the Bengals are open to going MLB or WLB in the draft, and don't want to tip their hand at what they're going to do with Burfict.

I also think there's probably some legitimate concern about moving Burfict to the middle and him not being able to handle it.  Brooks and Maualuga didn't, and Thurman was a mess.  What they DO know at this point is Burfict at WLB works.

How well regarded is Burfict in terms of the intellegence it takes to be the MLB (ie: being able to know all the assignments)? Never really payed attention to him on that regard from scouting reports.

Doesn't matter how many points they gave up. Houston drove up and down the field at will. They could have scored 40 points if they needed to. Houston dominated offensively. We couldn't stop them and get the ball back.

Not everything is about racking up a ton of points. It's about totally dominating and being in control of the game.

Agreed.  And some people wanted to dismiss the Zim comments as coach speak, but obviously it was not.  So based on Zim's comments back then I do not think he is so eager to throw Burfict in the middle and it is far far from a done deal to go ahead and pencil him in there.

Archived