Bengals bring back Maualuga

Some of those posts were made by people defending him, and most of those responses were made by people other than me, so that answer is meaningless.

What do you think my bias is against him?

Post 401. 

Much like when you argue Pat Sims is good despite a near total lack of production.

That's going to leave a mark. 

Some of those posts were made by people defending him, and most of those responses were made by people other than me, so that answer is meaningless.

What do you think my bias is against him?

If you saw him miss tackles or take bad angles or trip over himself ......that's your eyes' bias showing you what you want to.  In reality, what you saw didn't actually happen.  In reality, Rey was too busy being awesome.  That's the bias.

Much like when you argue Pat Sims is good despite a near total lack of production.

Not so much no, because I'm not calling Sims good persay so much as competent in the role he played. In fact I've repeatedly said that.

Further it's actually two compltely different situations, it's a luxary that we can let Sims go because we have more than enough talent accross the Dline, while as we needed to keep Mauluga for pretty much the oppisite reason, no depth/talent waiting in the wings.

Someone posted the rushing comparison of Bengals D when Sims played vs. non-play.   It's funny how unit performance can be attributed to 1 player and not the other.

I guess it all depends on the bias. 

You mean how it got better when he was there vs when he wasnt?

Further unit prefomance isnt at question in my post, its unit depth and talent at the position allowing us to move on vs having to keep a player due to lack of depth/talent to replace him.

I dont question Pat Sims role or his ability to do that role, I never disagreed with HoF when assesing whether he would be kept or not. I simply disagree with his assesment of Sims role and his ability to play that role.

Malaluga, I suppose the coaches think he, like Sims had some value as they both got offered a contract, the amount of how much they value said player in the scope of what we have on the roster and what our needs are is laden in that offered contract, I suppose.

Sims got an offer that was less than the offer Rey did because they had more depth at the position and letting him go was a luxary. Rey not so much, but if Rey was highly valued, he would have gotten offered more than a 2 year deal, Rey's deal is essentall a "prove it" deal that allows us time to transition if he doesnt.

Actually I liken Rey's deal to be not that different than Green Ellis' short term, eventually replace him with a better player when we have the ability to do so, 3 year deal.

All simple stuff really.

After reading the amount of horseshit throughout this thread I have come to a few conclusions

1. A lot of you people in here don't know jack shit about how to evaluate film or linebacker play or flat out just watch a game on TV to see who is getting raped in the butt. The man flat out sucks at playing football at a high level necessary for this team to go any further in the playoffs than the first round. If you want the same ol crap year after year after year, then yes, keep him at MLB for this team, or SLB for that matter. He might be better at SLB than Mike but he better be cause hes the worst MLB in the entire league.

2. I am now dumber for having read all these posts regarding this signing.

That is all.

Different perspective: We're generally pleased with what Zimmer can get out of other team's castoffs. Now he gets to do it with one of his own castoffs!

2 points! Hilarious.

Also I have no bias toward the guy or want to call myself right, or any of that other crap some of you all were saying. He is simply not worth starting for this team and there are much better players out there AND we can afford them. If the Bengals are running a business and the goal is to win as many games as possible including the Super Bowl, this was a bad signing and it will not help towards the main goal. 

How do you know that he didn't receive any other offers, do you think the Cards flew him to Zona and didn't offer him a contract....r u is agent or just talking out of your ass...me thinks the latter of the two.

Dhani Jones retired after the season, get the facts right...he could've played on someone's team if he wanted too. Once again you are talking out of your ass, as if you are Jones's agent and knew that one other team offered Jones a contract after the season. Dhani has a life beyond football and maybe he wanted to retire after 10 yrs of playing in the NFL and do something else, some guys do that so they aren't forced out. Also it wasn't like the guy was a scrub, he played damn good football for the Bengals on the downward slope of his career.

Why would the HC make a player the captian of his defense if he didn't think the guy was any good? You act like this is some Pop Warner league where if you pay the registration fee you have to play, maybe because that's the only type of football you played. This is the big leagues Skippy, a billion dollar business where they will cut your ass in a heart beat if they don't think you can get the job done. They didn't make Rey the captian because he's the "mascot" of the team...face it, Rey can play the game. Sure he can improve, no doubting it but he's not the scrub everyone is trying to make him out to be.

Yeah Dhani Jones retired after the season alright,  he retired on Oct 11th 6 weeks into the next season LOL.

Why would the HC make a player the captain of his defense?  We are  talking about the same clock management genius and challenge flag throwing expert whose defenses pretty much sucked until Zimmer showed up are we not?  

Yeah, this is the big leagues and in 10 years Marvin has managed to attain the same number of playoff wins as David Shula, none.   He hasn't exactly lit the league on fire with his coaching abilities although many give him credit by throwing in the disclaimer, " He has done an excellent job considering he is coaching for the Bengals."

What drives me nuts about guys like you is you celebrate mediocrity.  Rey is mediocre.

Rey can play the game at a decent level at SAM and is a poor MLB.  My assumptions about Marvin's comment that Rey will be the MLB is that he is blowing smoke up everyone's ass but I have certainly been wrong before.   

Also I have no bias toward the guy or want to call myself right, or any of that other crap some of you all were saying. He is simply not worth starting for this team and there are much better players out there AND we can afford them. If the Bengals are running a business and the goal is to win as many games as possible including the Super Bowl, this was a bad signing and it will not help towards the main goal. 

I don't think it was a bad signing if the goal is to move him to SAM.  My problem is with those who somehow want to re write history and pretend he played well this season.  Furthermore, saying that since Marvin and Zimmer wanted him back, he must be better than I suspect is nonsense.

Until Marvin puts a team on the field that even approaches the play of elite level teams that Pittspuke, Baltiwhore, New England, SF, Atlanta, Green Bay, New York (Giants), and New Orleans have over the past decade I won't buy into his abilities verses other coaches.    Sure, we have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years but there wasn't a sane man on this board that thought those teams had a chance to go far if anywhere.  Marvin is consistently out coached in big games and the performance of his teams in the 3rd quarter borders on incompetent.

The reality is we beat precious few good teams year in year out and God forbid you put us up against good talent in primetime.

The 2005 team has been the only team in the last 21 years that I thought had a chance to do anything.

I will leave you with one more note:  This team would be horrific offensively if not for AJ Green being the absolute superstar that he is.  We hit a home run on that pick.

Post 401. 

That's going to leave a mark. 

My bias is I don't think he was very good?

That's not "bias".  Bias would be I don't like him because he went to USC.  Which is not currently true.

I hate Meatchicken far more than I hate USC, and I like Leon Hall.

I am indifferent about Maualuga returning to the Bengals.  I don't think he's worthless by any means, but I understand the criticism especially given how high expectations were when he was drafted.  The way I envision it playing out depends upon Howard or another linebacker being put in the mix.  Last year Lawson was the guy who came off the field when the Bengals played nickel.  This year it will be Rey.  I feel better about things if he's primarily playing on 1st and 2nd downs in more likely running situations.  

I am indifferent about Maualuga returning to the Bengals.  I don't think he's worthless by any means, but I understand the criticism especially given how high expectations were when he was drafted.  The way I envision it playing out depends upon Howard or another linebacker being put in the mix.  Last year Lawson was the guy who came off the field when the Bengals played nickel.  This year it will be Rey.  I feel better about things if he's primarily playing on 1st and 2nd downs in more likely running situations.  

I will readily admit Rey is a better player than Lawson and would do a MUCH better job at SAM than Lawson did.  If you asked me to name the starting lineup in our standard base defense, Lawson would be the last guy I would remember.  Dude was invisible.  Like I have said before, I understand the signing and don't have a problem with Rey if the plan is to move him to SAM.  It doesn't help my blood pressure however, for Marvin to be making comments that suggest otherwise.

Archived