Bengals bring back Maualuga

I don't say you have to like everything, but it might be nice if you liked something about the team.  The 'realists' don't seem to have a lot  to say about that.  In fact, they boycotted the 'think positive' post this year IIRC.

False. What happens is the homers think that any criticism means we hate everything and are debbie downers. Not the case, its a matter of where are we and what do we need to do to get to where we want to get to. There is alot to like about this team, but its not a superbowl contender ....... yet.

Some of you retards still in here jerking off for mediocrity. Just one terrible game? Lmao. Sure, lets pretend he had just one. anyways, It was during the fucking playoffs. Hell of a time to channel your inner pee wee player.

He sucked all year except for 3 or 4 games where he was only below avg instead of at the level of sucking ass

But in a 4-3 defense, wouldn't you want your MLB to be a little more than a role player?

Championship teams think this way, Bengal fans don't demand excellence.  Mediocrity is just fine. 

NOW THIS IS IT!

Now we finally have the truth, the terrible little secret that lies at the heart of all of you defenders of the faith is laid bare.

Do you really, for even a moment, think that any of us who criticize any element of this team actually root against it?  Seriously, do you think we root for failure?  As a matter of fact, it's probably the opposite, and those who are critical may be overly supportive of their team, something for which I myself wouldn't object to admitting.

Why do you all need to see the world this way?  Why do you need to take those who disagree with you and make such a tremendously leap in your logic, and expel as traitors?  Why is conformity so important to you all?

When you make that leap you land in an scary place.  It's called CrazyLand.

I went on record last year, as Rey started to lose weight and play a little better, to point that out.  But I also said that the jury was still out, as many of his issues didn't pertain to physicality.  Sure, being too slow was one, but there were others.  And I'd say, for my critical brethren on this site, that they, also, would be glad to be proven wrong and have a vilified player turn it around, and emerge as a solid contributor.  

The fact that they don't says more about the player than it does any one of us.

And the fact that you need to lump the disagreeing ones into the camp of enemy suggests that you are a fascist.

It's mind boggling really.  How could you WANT a guy on your favorite team to fail?  Just because you criticize him?  Ridiculous and the card that's played so often.  I think the irony of this charge against those who dare criticize players on their favorite team is that the ones doing the criticizing are the ones who are wanting the team to improve by upgrading from that weak link whereas the "superfans" are content with the guy since he was the shittiest piece of a top 7 D.  They're content with things.....this in my eyes is wanting the team to "fail". 

2008 was proven to be a weak draft class at the top.   They could have taken Mayo although that was dumb luck as the Patriots were supposed to like Rivers more.

In the end there are a ton of flops at the top of that class.  Sedrick Ellis, Dorsey, Harvey.....

That's not true.  It was said they were laughing at us for picking Rivers and they got their guy in Mayo. 

I'm not at all at odds with myself. I'd venture to say I know a lot more than most on here than the MLB position, specifically, and that includes you.  

I don't actually take issue with our coaches at all. Yet.  

The major failure of intellectual reasoning that you seem to continually lack is this: Rey should not be our starting MLB.  Let's return to this discussion after say, the bye week, shall we?  And then we'll see where he's at?

(I say bye week because I would have no problem with the team feeling the need to bring in a new guy a little slowly, and have a vet above him - something they've done with many of their first round picks).

The argument I'm having is with you and those like you, who think Rey is good enough to start.  We can do better, and we have to if we want to take this thing to the next level.

I might be mistaken but I don't think I've seen anybody ink Maualuga into their starting lineup yet, meaning you're getting upset over nothing.

I don't say you have to like everything, but it might be nice if you liked something about the team.  The 'realists' don't seem to have a lot  to say about that.  In fact, they boycotted the 'think positive' post this year IIRC.

I'd say you'll find just as many posts from me on here about what I like about the team as what I don't.  

Just yesterday, I lauded a pic of Still running next to Geno, who I think is so much more valuable to this team than his play indicates.  

I'm a bigger fan of Dalton than most on here, because I think the kid has the tools and mindset to be great, and he's done pretty well when you take all things into consideration.

In fact, other than these few players (Rey, Cook, Gresham, and sometimes Whit), I'm generally positive about the team.  

The truth is, I'm also often VERY positive about Management.  I think Mike and Katie have been doing a kick ass job for a big handfull of years now.  Isn't it strange, that the same people who won't let me bash players are the same ones who like to bash the owner?

False. What happens is the homers think that any criticism means we hate everything and are debbie downers. Not the case, its a matter of where are we and what do we need to do to get to where we want to get to. There is alot to like about this team, but its not a superbowl contender ....... yet.

I find it very amusing that user of a fan site thinks 'homer' is an insult.

The disconnect is that the Rey haters believe that anyone that doesn't believe Rey should not have been brought back, believe he is Dick Butkus.  They simply don't understand that for the most part, we see him as a decent player and better than the alternatives currently on this team.  I hope that we find better players than the ones currently on this team in every draft, but you don't become successful by eliminating your mid range players and keeping players that can't beat them out.  You find better players and then move players back releasing the even less productive players.  On just this page, we have a post talking about Marvin's inability to find good LB's in the draft, but then someone says that any of the guys available would be easily better than Rey.  There is a huge disconnect, and like you said, it is more driven by their desire to be right, than by good common sense.

This was a good post except for the first and last sentences.  I think both sides are seeing it the same way (Rey is not Jesus, and should be upgraded).  Where things break down is when one side tries to characterize the other as being all for if the other is against.

What this really all boils down to, methinks, is the bubbling anxiety we all have about having a very mediocre playing suiting up to be our starting MLB for another season.

The disconnect is that the Rey haters believe that anyone that doesn't believe Rey should not have been brought back, believe he is Dick Butkus.  They simply don't understand that for the most part, we see him as a decent player and better than the alternatives currently on this team.  I hope that we find better players than the ones currently on this team in every draft, but you don't become successful by eliminating your mid range players and keeping players that can't beat them out.  You find better players and then move players back releasing the even less productive players.  On just this page, we have a post talking about Marvin's inability to find good LB's in the draft, but then someone says that any of the guys available would be easily better than Rey.  There is a huge disconnect, and like you said, it is more driven by their desire to be right, than by good common sense.

True.   There is a basic understanding of the league and how it works.   Some are either missing that or don't realize it. 

He sucked all year except for 3 or 4 games where he was only below avg instead of at the level of sucking ass

Championship teams think this way, Bengal fans don't demand excellence.  Mediocrity is just fine. 

It's mind boggling really.  How could you WANT a guy on your favorite team to fail?  Just because you criticize him?  Ridiculous and the card that's played so often.  I think the irony of this charge against those who dare criticize players on their favorite team is that the ones doing the criticizing are the ones who are wanting the team to improve by upgrading from that weak link whereas the "superfans" are content with the guy since he was the shittiest piece of a top 7 D.  They're content with things.....this in my eyes is wanting the team to "fail". 

That's not true.  It was said they were laughing at us for picking Rivers and they got their guy in Mayo. 

I think Pats had a trade up offer to leap us to get Rivers. 

I might be mistaken but I don't think I've seen anybody ink Maualuga into their starting lineup yet, meaning you're getting upset over nothing.

He is having an arguement with himself.    No one that I'm aware is demanding Rey be placed in the starting line up as MLB or SLB without any further consideration of competition.

The crux of the discussion is a group of posters and bias getting all worked up about evaluations of Rey that don't agree with their slanted view.    Basically Zimmer and Lewis went to bat for him.  Knowledgable posters noted it and gave it's due recognition.   The biased souls created theories and rationalization.   Then Rey signs giving credibility to the theory that Zimmer and Lewis did see value in Rey and consquently that erodes the biased viewpoint.  

Over a third of the contract is guaranteed and that portion being $2.5M.   That's a roster spot delivered and I'm guessing SLB will be his to lose. 

What utter nonsense.  Every team, including the best teams, have players they want to upgrade.  Dhani Jones was the Captain of the defense when the team was the 15th ranked defense in the league. After the season, after leading the team in tackles (by a wide margin) and starting every game,  he was released and nobody picked him up.  According to your logic, Jones was good because he was the Captain.  The rest of the league, including the Bengals, saw differently.

Rey was an FA and didn't receive an offer from anyone OTHER than us. 

The coaches are not stupid.  They are thin at linebacker and don't want to go into the draft with little or no experience in the starting positions.  Rey will COMPETE at SAM.  Write it down.

How do you know that he didn't receive any other offers, do you think the Cards flew him to Zona and didn't offer him a contract....r u is agent or just talking out of your ass...me thinks the latter of the two.

Dhani Jones retired after the season, get the facts right...he could've played on someone's team if he wanted too. Once again you are talking out of your ass, as if you are Jones's agent and knew that one other team offered Jones a contract after the season. Dhani has a life beyond football and maybe he wanted to retire after 10 yrs of playing in the NFL and do something else, some guys do that so they aren't forced out. Also it wasn't like the guy was a scrub, he played damn good football for the Bengals on the downward slope of his career.

Why would the HC make a player the captian of his defense if he didn't think the guy was any good? You act like this is some Pop Warner league where if you pay the registration fee you have to play, maybe because that's the only type of football you played. This is the big leagues Skippy, a billion dollar business where they will cut your ass in a heart beat if they don't think you can get the job done. They didn't make Rey the captian because he's the "mascot" of the team...face it, Rey can play the game. Sure he can improve, no doubting it but he's not the scrub everyone is trying to make him out to be.

Do you not think Zimmer wants the same thing?    Obviously there is a disconnect. 

Zimmer and Marvin can talk about how much they like Rey all they want.

I see better than I hear.

I also think that often coaches value continuity over the risk involved with change.

I also think that often coaches value continuity over the risk involved with change.

Espessally when there isnt a whole lot of talent/depth in that position on the roster to replace him with.

Well, you saw them say they wanted him back, and guess what?  HE'S BACK!!!!

Are you sure?   Bias can cloud ones vision. 

Post #1-446. 

Some of those posts were made by people defending him, and most of those responses were made by people other than me, so that answer is meaningless.

What do you think my bias is against him?

Archived