Bengals bring back Maualuga

get your point, though its now around $28.75M after the Maualuga signing.  I think the wild card in all of it is Anderson and Allen.  If the team doesn't anticipate them on the team, it frees up a nice chunk of change (at least $6.2M). If not, it makes things a little stickier as they've already set $18M aside for extensions, draft picks, and injuries.  

So that leaves about $10.75M aside to get Andre, Adam, Newman and anyone else they want done.

scratch that, The official number is $30.0887M

Grade from Walterfootball.com on the signing.

Bengals re-sign ILB Rey Maualuga (2 years, $6.5M; $2.5M guaranteed): MILLEN FILLS OUT HIS NCAA BRACKET BASED ON KIELBASA SIZE Grade
Rey Maualuga was the worst starting middle linebacker in football last year. He was the WORST, and it wasn't even close. He spent his time missing tons of tackles, blowing coverages and getting washed away in run support. He's nothing more than a mediocre backup in the NFL, so I'm pretty shocked that he received a $6.5 million contract from the Bengals. He didn't deserve anything more than the minimum.
Maualuga might be better if they move him back to strongside linebacker, but this is way too much money to give to a two-down player who has sucked the past couple of seasons.

If you dont understand the Millen comment, who was arguably the worst GM ever, they give the signing an F- because they can watch a friggin game and tell who sucks.

We are all hoping he gets moved to the strong side. And never see the middle

From Paul Daugherty's blog ...

THE EDUCATED TEAM RE-SIGNS R. MAUALUGA. Without further comment, an excerpt from J. Reedy’s story in this AM’s TM:

“… his play has dropped off the past two years. According to Pro Football Focus, he had a positive rating of 10.9 at SAM (strong OLB). In his past two years in the middle, the overall rating is negative 42.5. Of the 30 games he played, 17 have been graded below average, compared to two above average. Even after he dropped 20 pounds at midseason, seven of the last eight games were graded as poor. Of the 52 inside linebackers who played 25 percent or more of their teams’ snaps, Maualuga was graded as the worst.”

“Rey has been a fine young player for us,” said head coach Marvin Lewis.

* SHOULD IT ALSO BE NOTED that Maualuga wasnt exactly courted by any other team? Why yes, I believe it should.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2013/03/19/the-morning-line-319-3/

The decision has been made and it is obvious Marvin and Zimmer have much confidence in Rey.  I'm going to look at the positives of this move and cheer on Rey to play better and with confidence, because that means the Bengals will also be better.  But I have a feeling some of you would prefer he fail so you can rant and carryon about "I told you so".  

Not at all. I would love for him to become good. I just don't see it happening

Not at all. I would love for him to become good. I just don't see it happening

Nope.  Phatcat hit it on the head.     Whenever the slightest positive thing is stated about Rey here comes all the hub-bub about how they are wrong.

It is very much about rooting for failure just so they can say "I told you so".    Look at the epic levels of stupid in this thread.   There are people that actually claim failure.  What?  Failure?   Just because a segment of our fine NFL defense isn't approaching pro bowl status that's a failure?  It's pure ignorance on display.

The example of Luc Longley was perfect although it was an attempt made to mock the point.     If it wasn't Rey it'd be somebody else.   It'd be Justin Smith and the debate of his tackles 5 yards down the field or John Thorton on roller skates, or Tory James lucking into Ints yada, yada, yada......

I love the fact people have such stress over this.  It's hilarious.  The levels they'll go to, in order to justify their hate is hilarious. 

No it didn't.   He's had one the better defenses since Rey had been a starting player on his unit. 

Completely false. 

Imagine how good it could have been if we didn't have a MLB that often sucked.

Good? He hasnt improved at all since he got here. I'm hoping for him to just not be the guy OCoords gameplan around.

He's doubled his tackle count last year in comparison to his rookie season.

There was also a stretch of games there where Rey played some tight coverage. As far as I can recall, it really wasn't horrific until the Texans' game. There was times he was beat for sure, but it wasn't something continual until that playoff game.

I like the signing, it'll also help hide draft strategy. If the LB you're looking at isn't there when you think he will be and you miss on him in the draft, it's not like you go into the season downgraded at backer or searching around for a last minute starter - you just go in with what you had last year. The dude provides starting experience, had played well in stints, and can play multiple spots. He already knows your defense and is liked well enough for the coaches to make him a team captain. I just don't see how it's bad. I don't think this changes draft strategy much at all. If they feel they can drastically upgrade the position, I think they still do it.

He's doubled his tackle count last year in comparison to his rookie season.

There was also a stretch of games there where Rey played some tight coverage. As far as I can recall, it really wasn't horrific until the Texans' game. There was times he was beat for sure, but it wasn't something continual until that playoff game.

I like the signing, it'll also help hide draft strategy. If the LB you're looking at isn't there when you think he will be and you miss on him in the draft, it's not like you go into the season downgraded at backer or searching around for a last minute starter - you just go in with what you had last year. The dude provides starting experience, had played well in stints, and can play multiple spots. He already knows your defense and is liked well enough for the coaches to make him a team captain. I just don't see how it's bad. I don't think this changes draft strategy much at all. If they feel they can drastically upgrade the position, I think they still do it.

I'd argue that doubling the tackle count came as a result of being moved to the middle where he had more opportunity, in general your MLB SHOULD be the guy leading in tackles, which is why Taz leading the team in them from the will spot is telling.

Im indifferent about the signing in that I see why it happened with regarard to too much turnover at the LB position, but if he is starting at MLB next year and not SAM, I dont know man....

In everybody's honest opinion who do you guys feel is the weak link on this defense if you had to choose one. We have a good defense but its not like we are the 1985 Bears.

last year I'd say #1 was Lawson.  #2 probably crocker/clements.  Love their leadership, but the team really lacked a safety who could consistently cover.

#3 probably Rey.

As far as just starters go.

In everybody's honest opinion who do you guys feel is the weak link on this defense if you had to choose one. We have a good defense but its not like we are the 1985 Bears.

Rey, Safeties, Manny,   are or were the weakest areas of the unit last year.   

last year I'd say #1 was Lawson.  #2 probably crocker/clements.  Love their leadership, but the team really lacked a safety who could consistently cover.

#3 probably Rey.

As far as just starters go.

Odd considering our defense started to rise in the rankings right after he was signed.

If I had to rate the defensive players from last year best to worst, taking playing time into consideration as well:

1. Atkins
2. Hall
3. Mj
4. Dunlap
5. Tnew
6. Burfict
7. Adam jones
8. Nelson
9. Gilbery
10. Peko
11. Rey
12. Geathers
13. SS combination
14. Lawson

Crocker doesnt bring much in actuall play, but for what he doesnt bring in play, he brings ten fold in knowing assignments and leadership. He is the Dhani Jones of Safties.

I really hope we can get someone like that from a knowledge/smarts standpoint but is young enough to still "bring it"

I know Zimmer probably never thinks about it that way.  What a shame.  The guy with the most ownership can't see this as clearly as you. 

Did you watch him?  Did you see how often he missed tackles, overran plays, and got torched in coverage?

I'm not paid to coach, I will admit (duh).  And Rey at times played well.  But he was very inconsistent.  Against Houston he was flat awful.  Coaches have egos and believe they can fix players.  Often it takes them a while to figure out when they can't.

Rey was better at SLB than he was at MLB, so I'll be patient with it (not like I have a choice).  And if Rey plays better more consistently, then great.

But I'm not holding my breath.

I think his biggest asset was experience and leadership.  Not as much actual play, but rather making sure other guys are doing their job right.  

A lot of people are also comparing him to 2011 Crocker who was frickin miserable. 2012 crock>>>>2011 crock but he is still a below average saftey at this point in his career.

Archived